The Sunspire an ode to the night awaiting the sun
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
((she's near the borders so if non-SS folk are interested in joining too.. *winknudge*) but no really. anyone is welcome. i'm just trying to get back in the grove more
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

Just a stone's throw from the officially boundary, she rested, perched, upon a small outcropping of rock. She had settled here perhaps half an hour before, mostly to rest her tired legs a spell and then of course to admire the vantage point this granted her. For not being very far up the mountainside, it provided a good view of the nearby borders and just beyond. Her minty eyes were keened their way despite the deepening darkness.

The sun had set maybe a few hours before. The night was young, but awfully long. Winter's darkness seemed to be at its height and yet, not all things were bad. The days were usually mild still, humidity oddly high for this time of year, and frankly, they continued to see more rain-showers than actual snow. It had been particularly cloudy as of late (enough so to make her suspect snow more than once, but it never followed through), which continued into now. Only on a brief occasion could she spy the tiny sliver of a crescent moon that came alongside this winter's dark solstice.

Nevertheless, she watched, and waited -- whether or not the night would be stark still or not. She remained.

[Image: 5ifpFkc.png?1]
i want to bleed in the 「r a i n
The moon wears silver armor that shines brightly through the darkness.
283 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
[size=x-small]I shall have Nishu join since Rain is currently busy with real life stuff. So while the other threads are on hold why not join another :P hope you don't mind[/size]

The Night was begining to take place. Nishu was starting to feel like he had less time during the day or the day just goes by quickly without him knowing. As long as he still had energy he would continue his duties even in the darkness nights. Rain had shown him what was around the territory, He did his best to remember each location so he could plan out a patrol route as well as setting a training location.

The mountain did have it's fair share of challenges. Just trying to get around could be call a training session. Nishu has been walking along the borders, just to get an idea of the distance there was to get to place to place.

At a certain point he spotted a dark figure perched on the edges of stone. If it was any darker he might have missed it and kept going. Approaching from behind he was able to notice that it was the alpha of Sunspire. Normally he would just continue minding his own business but he didn't want to risk getting thrown off a cliff again without knowing the reason. He thought that maybe he could avoid any kind of distrust if he tried to interact instead of ignoring.

He slowed his pace, thinking about what to say. Just four meters from her he stopped. "Hello Alphess of Sunspire." He said. "Uh.. It's a nice view from here isn't it." He wasn't quite sure how to start a casual conversation. The view that was seen here was nothing compared to what Rain had shown him. His focus was more on Ame than on anything else.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
s'all good with me! thx for joining
<style type="text/css">.ame {margin:auto; width:530px; text-align:justify;font-size:11px;} .ame q {color:#7a2638; font-family:georgia;font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1.3px;} .ame p {margin:0px;text-indent:30px;}</style>

For a good while, it was quiet. Which she did reason was the way her borderlands ought to be. They usually did not find themselves with a large lot of trespassers, and joiners were generally an occasional thing. Sometimes she'd scent loners that had come close but that was about all, and it seemed none of that was happening tonight.

So, Nishu's approach was noted with a curious lift and tilt of her head. Greetings, she chuffed first and foremost when he paused just a ways away from her. She didn't beckon him closer or push him back, deciding he was just fine as was. Just the same, she stayed on her little perch for now. It is, but not the.. most enthralling the mountain has to offer, she intoned. It was most useful for watching the borderlands, which were often notably bland. Still. It was a practical spot that allowed her to steal a rest and maintain her watch all at the same time.

Then, considering him at a greater length, she knew she had smelled him here and the. Usually alongside Rain. Are you settling in? she asked, ever watchful of his subtle gestures and expressions.

283 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
"Rain did show me one of the best views the mountains has to offer, it seemed to be her preferred location. It made the sea seem like just an average scene." He said calmly. Thinking back on it, it was the first location she shown him. He wondered if it was actually the best the mountain had to offer. There were still a few areas to explore but he doubts that he will find anything better than what Rain shown him.

Nishu felt like settling here would be nice. Getting around was a little difficult compared to the usual but he liked it that way. Living on the mountain will never soften someone. Since getting around wasn't easy he could plan out routes and paths to train himself while patroling.

"Settling here isn't the goal, I don't expect to stay here for a very long time. But so far, I think it's nice to be here. I think the coast was alot colder to me." He said as he spent the next moment thinking about what else to say. He sat down, simply watching Ame's eyes as he would do with everyone. "May I ask how long your pack existed? The mountains don't seem like a place for just anyone so I wondered how long The Sunspire lived here. Surely all those who survived for years are strong as I am even without any kind of training."
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
i lost the first draft of this cuz i thought i'd get cocky and write on mobile bc i was still stuck at family christmas stuff |:<

She listened, nodding softly. While the sea had impressed her, and she had gone through a brief phase of almost-infatuation with the coastline (then the waterways that branched from them), the mountains had eventually summoned her back. The sea is impressive, but I will always prefer the mountains. Something unsaid about them, and something she could never put into words, they would remain her preference for many, many moons.

Well, perhaps settling was not the best word.. adjusting? I know it is not quite like Ankyra here.. she rephrased and smirked, curious if his day-to-day routine was any different than it had been in Ankyra.. since fundamentally, a pack was a pack despite their bizarre beliefs. Obviously the scenery was different. To go from the coast itself to the mountain was a drastic difference. But she did know he spent a good share of time with Rain. Surely that differed from before, when he was pledged to the coastal wolves.

Then to his question, she answered easily. As a pack we established early in the summer, she said. There was the vague chance to explain how it had not always been her mountain, nor was settling here necessarily of her choosing. While she was very fond of the mountain, perhaps it would have turned out differently. Then again, maybe not. I lived in the nearby region for about a year before that, and my home land is a mountain.. so I appreciate that they are not for the weak-willed.. or the clumsy-footed. Even if she did not know how winter would handle here on this particular mountain. It was on her mind, though.

283 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
[size=x-small]Might have been punished for missing something :P I avoided having to talk to a whole lot of people about boring things. It's just not my thing to do on christmas.[/size]

If he really had to compare the to packs the main difference would be the company he was with. Ankyra and he never connected due to the fact that he only focused on one wolf and ignored the rest. He knew how to stay out of trouble after a while but it was like each wolf was just doing it's own duty. It was just a job to him. Sunspire on the other paw was far different. It's better but what exactly made it better? Was it because this was his first real contract or just the fact that the wolves here actually saw him as a Knight here?

He made a small grin. "Normally just looking into their eyes drives them crazy. Since I haven't gotten into some kind of trouble I would assume adjusting isn't necessary. In a way it feels like the mountains suits my style." He said thinking about the fact that he enjoys the area. The source was still not really known but his guess was that it is easy to train himself almost anywhere.

"So the Sunspire is also a young pack. Since winter can be harsh on both mountain and sea, I hope that you have some ideas on how to keep everyone from freezing if it ever gets to that point." He paused for a moment. "Back at the coast it was difficult to stay out in the open with the howling wind. I wonder what the mountain will do here." He said as he looked at the mountain top. Winter can be difficult if none were prepared for it. Nishu knew the basics of surviving winter and since Sunspire settled here during the summer he felt slightly worried about any who had no expierence in the mountains. Of course he didn't have any experience either but he did believed he could easily manage it.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior
i was pretty done when everyone had to start in with their colonoscopy stories, so i took that as my cue to zone out. jfc. but i was done with holidays before they even started this year. was not feelin it one bit |x

She listened and considered this. Naturally, she had noticed his penchant for eye contact. It was not typical, true, and there was a fine line between just doing so and doing so with dominant intentions that not all could understand easily.

And true, they were a young pack. Even younger was her time as alpha.. which while she had grown into the role, it was not yet complete. She had much to learn with every day and winter would prove to her many things. Good thing she was skilled enough at learning on her feet.

I do. Since I lived on mountains before, and am somewhat familiar with the region's climate, I have some ideas.. should we need them, she said, tilting her head thoughtfully. With her focus pulled in so many places at once, times like these were when she hoped Jace would ascend again soon, or if not, that another beta-candidate appear from the masses. She was less in a haste to find a counterpart alpha, though. That would need to be a particular wolf. But all of leadership all at once was a heavy weight to carry.

I wonder how the mountain will do, too. Last year, and not necessarily here exactly but in the general region, it was mild up until the end of the season. Then they had been struck with bitterly cold weather and lean times. She had only been a loner at the moment to make it worse. Perhaps the effects had felt most glaring to her, a creature of the fringe hunting spaces and scavenging opportunities at best. Here there would be none of that. The mountain was alive, and its surrounding territories were largely for their taking as well. And I do know that last winter, the territory at our own base, Northstar Vale, supported a pack for the end of wintertime and into spring. They moved on come then, but I suspect there to be acceptable winter hunting there too.. in the case mountain grows sparse, she considered aloud.

283 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
Nishu was glad to hear that there was a plan. That meant he didn't have worry about much if winter took a turn for the worse. He sat down at ease then looked at Ame and nodded. "Good, I'll have less to worry about now thanks to you. As long as Rain remains here I can assist you in any plans. There are other things to do beside staying with her all day so I don't mind helping out." He said, offering help if the Alpha ever needed it.

Although he has been here for just a couple of days he has yet to encounter other members of Sunspire. He would make sure atleast get to know them a bit before continuing on his duties. Maybe he should try seeking them out instead of waiting for a chance to meet them. He was kinda curious. What kind of wolves were they like?

"I've been here maybe for three days but I have yet to encounter the rest of Sunspire. I was thinking of seeking them out so I may discover what kind of wolves they are. But just in case is there anything special that I should maybe know about?" He asked. Seeking out wolves without anymore reason than to meet them felt a bit strange. Like, it wasn't really something he should be doing.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

The assurance of a plan seemed to suit him, and he spoke on about Rain. With a small 'hm' noise, she nodded softly. She would take note of that, and wondered where his expertise all was. He certainly possessed some measure of combat skill but how fared his strengths when hunting, among other things? Soon, she would find out.

When he mentioned not encountering the rest of the Sunspire, she found herself unsurprised. While their core was close, they seemed to function well independently. Usually the wolves here were around, but their territory was varied and there was always plenty to do if one looked. Still, she considered who all to mention to him.

Ah, not really. Some around here usually keep to themselves, but are not unfriendly so long as they are met with the same, she said. He probably would have already met the friendly Vienna had it not been for her injuries keeping her rather rooted. Jace, Summer, and perhaps Sumayl would likely be the ones to hinge a lot on respect, considering their places as longstanding males here.. and not to mention the stubbornness of some of them. There was Cuan, too, but Ame did not know the tawny male as well but he had always been amicable towards her in their interactions. The same stood for GhostWatcher, Seronda (which she hardly noticed around), and Tytonidae. A few have lived here since the beginning, or nearly so, and I am guessing they may be some of the first you will meet. Jace is one of the original three founders, alongside myself.. and his sister is Vienna, but she is recuperating from a cougar attack presently. Summer, too, has become well established here. There were others, too, but until she knew his full interest in having names and quick notes on various Sunspire wolves to help him know what he was getting into, she would keep it relatively brief.

283 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
Then meeting the other wolves wouldn't be as difficult as he thought. Normally he was faced with rules that he didn't really follow. Nishu usually keeps his own place no matter where others place him. He must always keep his title as a Knight and if rule goes against this title then he shall refuse that rule.

"I understand, I suppose I'll seek them out during my own free time. But you said someone is recovering from a cougar attack. If I remember correctly those are a type of cat..." He said, ending it there. He has been told what they looked like and such but he didn't remember anything besides them being cats. If they managed to injure a wolf then they either were grouped or had good combat skills. He couldn't imagine them being very big. He always saw them as small creatures.

Learning that there are cougars around made him want to seek them out instead. If they were a danger to the pack then they were a danger to Rain. It would be wise to get rid of them as soon as possible. If one wolf was injured then surely there will be more if the beasts weren't dealt with. "Where do cougars usually hang around?" he asked, wanting to search for them with clue in mind.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She didn't think it was a pressing matter to meet the whole of the pack, either. Ame had not been quick to integrate when she had first joined the Creek -- it hadn't seemed right, and at least she had known a few wolves here and there. Circumstances at the Sunspire had been different so naturally, she was more socialized here than before.

He zeroed in on the cougar and she nodded. Big cats, usually solitary, stalk-and- ambush style predators. Ame herself knew them best through others. In person, her interactions were few. They are not necessarily attached to one type of terrain, from what I understand, but they do like places with good cover to use to their stalking advantage, like rock outcroppings and dense brush, she explained. There was no certainty of where exactly to find them though, hence their losses when it came to encountering the one that seemed to have an affinity for Sunspire wolf flesh. It seemed that encounters only came when one was not fully prepared to face such a creature.

283 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
Cougars sounded like worthy enemies. If they prefer being alone and they managed to injure a wolf then they must be quite skilled. He had better be prepared to face one, If a Knight couldn't handle them then no one could. Nishu wanted to find one and test his abilities as a Knight. Finding one didn't really seem like it was going to be an easy task. If they are stealth based the best way to fight them would be to counter their ambush. That was Nishu plan but in order to do that he needed to be on high alert. One bad move and it may be over.

"If I ever encounter one I'll be sure to end it's little ambush game permanently. I can't allow them to remain a threat to Rain. I'll seek out where they could be when I can. It shouldn't be something I can't handle." He said with confidence. He was likely underestimating them but he also believed in himself.

He looked up at the stars that were starting to appear clearly in the sky. It was almost time to go rest. He wondered if Rain was sleeping or not. As long as he was resting somewhere close by to her it didn't matter. He would be fast enough to aid her if there was any trouble.
2,114 Posts
Ooc — gerra
Tactician
Warrior

She got the sense that what she shared with him would be put to good use. He was confident, too, and Ame wondered how much of it was in the utmost of truths. She did not doubt he was capable, just like she believed her own confrontation with the cat to end not in her own death, but there was a looming worry of the feline's ability -- which she had yet to see on her own, in full even. Only the aftermath, and her brief tango with the albino one on the borders. Not full measures. They are fierce, no doubt. Given the right opportunity, there are several here who would be quick to see the thing fall, she said. But the right chance has not come.. she grated, biting back frustration.

Then, she stood and stretched out her legs, then her back, taking her time on the motions. She had rested up nicely enough to give her a few more hours of moonlit work before retiring to sleep early in the morning -- and closer to when others would begin to arise for the day. She wanted to see to the borders one last time, so after a good beat of silence, she decided to conclude this. I am setting off, I will see you again soon.. she offered in means of farewell. Vague enough, she chuffed one last note to him before jogging into the night's depths.

283 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
Cats may have the ability of being smart about their fights. It would seem that other wolves wish to find the cougar as well. Of course the creature had already created a reason to be hunted. He kinda wondered if they enjoyed causing problems, either way the felines remain on the danger list.

Nishu nodded to the alphess as she took her leave. He stayed a while longer. Looking around and then at the starry sky. Maybe that chance they all wanted would come soon. Perhaps Nishu could help them have that chance. But if he managed to find it first, duty would tell him to take the chance to strike the cat down. Killing it would put many at ease. Since the creature is difficult to find then maybe he should stick to protecting Rain. It would suck for her to get ambushed by it while Nishu was out looking. He would have to make sure the area was safe everyday.

He turned around and marched on into the night. Lets continue the watch a little bit longer before returning to sleep.