Emberwood Pick a star on the dark horizon and follow the light
775 Posts
Ooc — Rosie
Astronomer
Master Ecologist
Master Midwife
The woman’s next actions did nothing to soothe Olive’s suspicions. Again Olive looked around, as if there might be an assailant nearest to them, for what else could shake this woman so? Though, Olive did feel guilty about being more concerned for her own welfare than she was truly empathetic to this stranger; but perhaps Olive had since learned better, and was not so immediately trusting of anyone she might meet on her travels. Even pack mates were met with a certain level of scrutiny, now. Indeed, there was good in everyone, but how fully developed was that good? In some, it was a conflagration; and in others, nothing more than smoldering embers. 

And when the woman elaborated, Olive was no closer to reaching the truth of the situation — but, somehow, she understood. The sylph, too, was a searcher: of knowledge, of love, of passion and of the small delights that come alongside a conscious life. It was a tough path, rife with lesson that the gods deemed necessary in order to further your story, and was oft a truly unfulfilling experience despite the appearance of peace. Though Olive wouldn’t blame her own melancholy entirely on her abilities to reach and overextend, it was not hard to face the fact that the benefits of living this life were few. Would she find true satisfaction, true happiness, in this life — or must she wait until the next?

Though the children in her belly were nothing more than small bundles of cells at that point, Olive could feel their presence and knew it was all for a reason. This golden woman, she must have a reason too; and, oh, what a reason it was! 

Olive was almost taken aback when the stranger spoke her name, for this was not a regular occurance. No one ever looked for her, no one ever needed her, she simply drifted in and out from people’s lives and they did not seem to think twice about it. What value could she possibly have to other people, when they constantly disposed of her when she was no longer needed? The sylph’s surprise easily turned to flattery and she danced eagerly forward. “Oh, then please do speak!” she chimed. “I am Olive. Who are you? Why do you need… me?”

and all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams
are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams
in what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pick a star on the dark horizon and follow the light - by Olive - February 24, 2018, 03:05 PM