Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Read Only 

She would not make it to the birth.

Calls rang distantly but Rosalyn continued making her unsteady way southward, sliding occasionally in the sand, driven by a call of her own with neither words nor meaning. It settled over her like a mantle and brought calm… a steady and undying purpose. She followed.

The sands darkened as the sun faded. She stumbled, but still the draw continued, and as she lifted her head her heart leapt and then soared. Her mind was clearer, sharper, than it had been in years… and before her was a well loved, beautiful face.

In the dream she stood and rushed to a desperate but familiar embrace.

I’m home. I’m sorry I got so lost on the way. It was both a whisper and a promise. They would never be parted again.

Just as she had years ago, Rosalyn took off in a sprint across the waves, the years falling from her with wild abandon. More loved and long-forgotten faces waited beyond the horizon. In the freedom of her flight there was no regret; no fear, no doubt, no reluctance. Only joy.

In the morning she would still be there, her heart finally silenced by the weight of years. The ocean herself gave a farewell with the lapping of the outgoing tide, but Rosalyn would not know it. All that was left was peace and the remnants of a last, pure smile upon her face.