Bramblepoint Withering
Brecheliant
Sciathán
736 Posts
Ooc — Me
Dwin, who had spent all of the spring and summer months feeding and herding the kids and therefore hating them for taking away her own freedom, had a change of heart. She was no longer looking at a kid, who knew no better and was more of a burden than joy to have around, but an actual person. It may sound funny to word it like this, but up until this very moment she had viewed kids and their shenanigans more as pets, less as sentient beings capable of deep and complex emotions. But it seemed that this event - unfortunate that it had to be so tragic - had brought them closer in maturity. She was an adult, who had not yet given up all of her childishness. And he was a kid, who had been forced to grow up very quickly. 

"I don't think that is possible," she replied after a brief contemplation. "The same person might mean different things to every person that has known them during their lifetime," she went on. "Therefore - I think that, when we lose them - it hurts us in different ways," she mused. "You lost a wonderful and devoted dad and no one will ever replace him, nor will it change the fact that he won't see you grow up, he won't be there for every milestone you reach in your life. And this is something that will never be truly replaced," Dwin said. "And then there will be people, who will tell you - I am so sorry for your loss - and will move on talking about the weather or something," she was one of these people, but with some empathy at least. "And they won't understand, why you are angry with them, because their relationship with your dad was simply different, but then you would probably be the same, if your roles were reversed," she said, finding it really hard to spell out, the thought she wanted to express. 

"I think - that in time, when you feel ready, don't go to these people with anger, go to them to talk about your dad and collect the stories they remember about him. Mom says that people are alive as long as the story about them lives. Of course, the story won't replace him in being in a physical form, but... on the other hand, this means that there will always be a piece of him that you carry with you in your heart. And no one can ever take that away," she finished. 

In the end it was very likely that Dwin's words had very little effect on the grieving process of Ponyboy. She could only hope that the words she had said now would sink in and resurface at a later time. 
Messages In This Thread
Withering - by Ponyboy - October 05, 2023, 05:00 PM
RE: Withering - by Ceridwen - October 07, 2023, 05:04 AM
RE: Withering - by Ponyboy - October 07, 2023, 02:10 PM
RE: Withering - by Ceridwen - October 07, 2023, 02:39 PM
RE: Withering - by Ponyboy - October 07, 2023, 09:00 PM
RE: Withering - by Ceridwen - October 13, 2023, 02:55 PM
RE: Withering - by Ponyboy - October 13, 2023, 03:36 PM
RE: Withering - by Ceridwen - October 13, 2023, 04:26 PM
RE: Withering - by Ponyboy - October 16, 2023, 12:30 PM
RE: Withering - by Ceridwen - October 19, 2023, 12:39 PM