Sun Mote Copse As if some magic, like a staff found a burning bush
20 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Auburn wasn't sure what was going on, but she became aware of a distinct feeling of emotional discomfort settling in the pit of her stomach that had nothing to do with how much and quickly she had eaten. She had done something wrong. She had done something wrong in front of the first wolf who had ever shown her kindness in her life. In her mind's eye, she pictured Meerkat and Skipjack and several faceless others all sharing a large deer amongst themselves, quietly. No snapping, no growling, no tussling. It was such a strange idea that she could hardly picture it. She was so confused that she hardly heard Meerkat's next words.

What? she said, blinking. Cedar Sweep... You... She studied Meerkat. You want me to... stay there? By myself? And you'll... bring me food? This, too, was so confusing that she had turned her head nearly all the way around by the time she was done repeating the words in the well-known 'confused dog' look. She turned to look into the Copse longingly. I-I can't... go with you... in there? You... Her voice fell, and then she blinked rapidly, trying not to cry, and stood up. You don't want me. Well, that made sense. No one had ever wanted her in her life. It's fine. I'll just--go. She swallowed the lump in her throat, confused, hurt, vision blurry with tears.

She might have been a yearling in body--though even that was questionable, given that she was a runt, and that lack of proper nutrition had stunted her growth--but in many ways, she still had the mind of a child, having lacked proper socialization and education growing up. She did not understand exactly what was happening. She only knew that she was being rejected. Again. Meerkat had offered to bring her food, but far away from herself and her family, like she was a pile of excrement, something to curl one's snout at and avoid at all costs.
Messages In This Thread
RE: As if some magic, like a staff found a burning bush - by Auburn - May 13, 2024, 10:20 PM