Deepwood Weald aquvatigun
Pledged
Moongrove
writing letters addressed to the fire
780 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Private 
Set for morning of the 29th. Tags for reference!

Ariadne had divided the remainder of her time in Moontide between hunting for the pack, and hunting for Dutch. She had put in relentless effort to make sure she gave back more than she had received from Rodyn's pack, and that there was plenty for Morningsong as well.

After bidding the seaside pack farewell, leaving @Rodyn with a personal stash of berries and fat, she set off in the direction that @Raiyuk had told her. Fortunately, Dutch and his group had decided to live right beside Moontide, which made it easy for her to get there quickly. Once everything was settled with Morningsong, she would resume her trip back to Moonglow. 

Her efforts yielded three otter pelts, a bundle of crabs, and a piece of sea glass, all carefully bundled in a palm leaf. It was the best she could manage given her time constraints, and she hoped it would be enough. 

Go on, Moon Owl encouraged. You didn't do all of that work just to loiter at their borders.

Ariadne decided to stop postponing the inevitable, as Moon Owl had made a valid point, and threw her head back and howled for @Dutch.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
555 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
In the early days, Dutch had wondered if Ariadne might come to try and reclaim the pack from him. These thoughts had troubled him on a number of levels, but not for several months by then. For there was nothing of Moonsong left to be found in Morningside; the had quietly dropped even the suffix from their name, and now there was only Dutch to represent the pack that Ariadne had led.

Time had healed most of his hurt over it, too. But there was still a twinge of old and new discomfort in his chest at the sound of her voice — of his name in her voice, just like when she would call him to eat with her or otherwise converse. And he realized that there was a part of him that loved her, and then he felt silly for not seeing it sooner.

Why else should he have been so heartbroken?

It was fresh in his mind when he appeared to her.

"Ariadne," he said to her — cordial, if not quite warm. But he did not call her cloud woman. They were past this, he thought. Past honorifics.
Pledged
Moongrove
780 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Ariadne had no idea what to anticipate, but the moment Dutch showed up, everything disappeared from her mind. Swiftly, she shrunk herself down, curling up on the ground and baring her belly with her ears flattened. It was all she could think to do, given the circumstances. While she was surprised to hear warmth in his voice, she chose to avert her gaze as she addressed him; he deserved the utmost respect. 

Dutch, she replied nervously as she licked her lips and her tail wagged uncertainly.

I am currently on a spirit journey, and knew that it would not be complete without seeing you, she revealed, cutting straight to the chase. I wanted to come and apologize to you, for everything that I put you and your Morningsong through, and to bring gifts that you and your village may enjoy. With a nod, she gestured towards the neatly packed parcel. I picked up these items for you during my stay in Moontide.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
555 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
Immediately, he was made uncomfortable; perhaps they were not past all his respect for her. He took an uneasy step back, but allowed her to speak before gently pleading: "Rise, Ariadne."

His hurts were more personal.

He waited for her to comply before responding.

"You may apologize — but Morningside is no longer the pack that you left. Your subjects are scattered across the wilds; it is now only myself and Sulukinak who remain here, and Sulukinak not for much longer. In truth, it was not the pack, but the individuals you hurt most of all. My feelings. Silenthunter's. Tulugak's."

He shook his head.

"I have had time to move past this. And to think that you have only done as any wolf has the right to. Still, I wish you had said goodbye. It made me feel very small to discover you were gone. Very small and very foolish."
Pledged
Moongrove
780 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
Upon his request, she rose to her feet. 

He went on to explain his side of the situation, and at each new development, she felt pain in her heart. She regretted the pain she had inflicted on those she had loved. 

I am very sorry for the pain that I caused you, she began, knowing that speaking for the others would do very little in this situation, I was a young and mindless fool in heat who thought I was in love, and that running away was the only way I could stay with him. She shook her head and glanced away. I know that this is not an excuse, but it is an explanation as to why I left. I regret my decision every day. 

She cleared her throat and blinked. Thank you for listening to me, and even giving me the time of day—I know you do not have to do that. It means more to me than you could ever know.
Morningside
Chief*
Sword of the Morning
555 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Historian
The panther frowned, wondering what Valiant would think of this apology and, for the first time in a while, wishing he were nearer. But he decided he would not ask him the next time they met; for Ariadne had humbled herself before him, and he did not mean to drag her any further at this level.

"I forgive you," he said simply, still a little stunned by the development. His tail gave a tentative wag, and his whole body seemed to soften, untensing. "I am glad you are home, cloud woman. It is good to see your face."

He meant this, and he meant it when, more seriously, he said, "I hope that any you associate with give you the time of day. You have hurt me, but you are my friend. This does not give me the right to disrespect you."

Not that she'd been an awfully good friend. But he was a good one, and part of that was giving second chances where second chances could and should be allowed. He believed her to be young and foolish but quickly learning — and she had already paid so dearly a price on her own.

"Will you tell me of your journey?" he asked her, more lightly once more.
Pledged
Moongrove
780 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Seer
She was overwhelmed by her disbelief and filled with gratitude when he accepted her apology. Thank you, Dutch, she said softly. It is good to be home, and to see your face, too. 

He started to become more serious and gave advice on the importance of respect, which she listened to attentively. She was aware that she had caused him pain, but it was still difficult to hear him say the words. He was a victim of her selfishness, and she hoped to make amends for the pain she caused him.  I will remember this, she promised him. And I hope through our friendship, I can help ease the pain. She felt a personal obligation to be a better friend to him.

His demeanor softened again as he gently inquired about her absence, and she found herself unable to decline, despite her reluctance to revisit the events. 

Moving north, we lodged at a Tartok camp. It was there that I was given the title of Issumatar, a leader in their culture, and instructed in their practices.

Following this, we traveled south and established a village to protect our children. Stratos, my brother, came with us, and everything was going well until another group settled next to use. Kigipigak was posted as a guard for the newcomers to ensure they stayed away from our land, and I was left to care for the children mostly on my own. It was ... exhausting.

I requested to return to Moonglow when things became too much, and upon coming back, I chose to break things off with Kigipigak—we are just too different, and it's for the best. The ending wasn't the happiest, but it was what it was.