Starting over (Joining)
6 Posts
Ooc — Ren
For miles they had been walking. How many she didn't count, neither did she count the days. Only the seasons told Bishop how long they'd been gone, how long ago they'd left Chinook. After winter's bitter cold she and her child were enjoying favorable traveling weather. First in spring, and then in the summer. During those times they traveled along rivers and streams which eventually brought them hear just at the last season's end.
Days like this reminded Bishop that they needed a home. Leaves were beginning to change, winds blew a little more fiercely, and there was a definite chill in the breeze. Especially in early morning and late evening. Night was creeping forward. The seasons would grow harsh, and Bishop no longer had only herself to think of. Jean-Luc, her son, and his friend Ipiktok, were playing behind her; bounding through the tall grass, playing tag, and chasing the odd insect as she prowled on ahead. The dark wolf was ever aware of her surroundings, nose working and ears high, twitching. That's when she noticed a border nearby.
"Jean-Luc, Ipiktok." She called back to her son and charge, prompting them to stop their game and gallop at her side, looking up at her expectantly and curiously. "There's a pack nearby, I'm going to speak with them alright? I need you two to lay in the grass for now and don't move." The intensity of her stare commanded their obedience, but the boys only smiled back at her in complete understanding. Jean-Luc was used to his mother's intensity, the way she always carried herself with poise while he bumbled about. Even Ipiktok's parents were very strict and short worded.
"Yes ma!" The albino pup chirped while his friend only nodded silently. Then the pair turned and raced through the trees, bounding into a taller patch of shrubs and grass. Bishop only watched them for a moment longer with a tender smile before turning to the doorstep of Neverwinter. She was careful, respectful of their borders and made sure to stop a wolf's distance away from them. A curious nose was all that ventured forward to sniff and gather whatever information she could about the wolves here. A chill of excitement ran through her at the prospect of meeting new wolves, it always did, but with new faces came new risks. Hopefully these were friendly folk.
Tilting her head back Bishop called out for the leaders of this pack, an echoing question of acceptance. Afterward she needed only to stand and wait.

"Bishop"
"Jean-Luc"
"Ipiktok"

<font style="font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; color:#20CC6D; line-height:11px;"><i>wires got the best of him.</i></font><br><font style="font-family:georgia; font-size:9px; text-transform:uppercase; color:black; letter-spacing:3px; line-height:11px;">yo ho ho & a bottle of rum.</font>
71 Posts
Ooc — Arla
While some members had disappeared from the pack soon after their acceptance, the hybrid Captain was feeling confident in the remaining crew. He knew that the initial start-up of a pack would be temperamental while ironing out the kinks, but as the days passed he felt as though Neverwinter was (slowly) growing stronger. The former rogue, who had detested the idea of packs, was now growing accustom to his new lifestyle – he still longed to be wandering freely, without the restraints of a pack, but pack-life was going better than he had anticipated. However, that was only because he was at the top of the pack, not stuck in the middle or at the bottom. He would never willingly join a pack, but creating one was different. Styx Constantin was able to make his own rules and accept those he thought might be useful among his ranks.
It was with that thought that the howl of a stranger broke through the silence that had engulfed the young leader, his seafoam gaze narrowing in the direction of the voice. Luckily for the lone female Styx had been wandering the forest nearby – although he was still a nomad at heart and desperately wanted to explore the neighbouring lands, the hybrid had been confining himself to Neverwinter territory. It was simply to learn more about the land and to establish relationships with the current members of the pirate pack – once he believed the new pack was properly settled in, the nomad would explore the territories that called to him.
It did not take long to reach where the female waited; her dark coat stuck out against the surrounding foliage. The young, hot-headed male always enjoyed the company of the opposite sex, and he couldn’t deny that he was glad he kept running into them. Closing the distance between the other wolf, the long-limbed Captain paused with his tail curled upward, seafoam eyes studying the dark loner before he spoke. “What can I help you with?” He greeted coolly, a brow quirked as the lingering scents on her pelt caught his attention. She had puppies with her? Although his interest peeked Styx did not comment on his discovery – he would wait until she shared some information with him.
6 Posts
Ooc — Ren
Not long after she calls a distinct masculine scent catches the dark wolf's attention. Her head lifts and ears peak, nose tasting the wind until finally the hybrid comes into view. Bishop is at once respectful of him, though she recognizes his breed almost instantly and fondly. Nearly all of her mothers side had been coy-wolf. Despite being adopted into the family, Bishop saw them all as kin.
The alpha male approached and her head dips to him. Small triangle ears fly back and her tail, though low, wags at the tip gently to show her good intentions. He doesn't introduce his name, but she can find no fault in that. Actually not many greeters - alpha or not - tend to do that on first meetings. That was up to her. "Well, I was hoping that you could help me with some of my troubles." A Germanic accent just barely touched her voice. "My name is Bishop Kytan, and I hail from the Western coastline where this past bad winter drove me out of. There is a lot of empty land out there, and I've been looking for a pack to take me in. Winter is also drawing near, I won't pretend that isn't a factor as well." This was necessity and it was convenience, and right now that was all she really had driving her forward.
Further back the boys were still in hiding, their ears straining to try and catch the dialogue exchange. But they could only guess what was really going on. Bishop on her end was hopeful. On outward appearances this male seemed rather healthy, and his disposition was so far pleasant. She'd met her fair share of brutes in the past. If Styx truly was a good man, then Bishop could see this place as home.

"Bishop"
"Jean-Luc"
"Ipiktok"

<font style="font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; color:#20CC6D; line-height:11px;"><i>wires got the best of him.</i></font><br><font style="font-family:georgia; font-size:9px; text-transform:uppercase; color:black; letter-spacing:3px; line-height:11px;">yo ho ho & a bottle of rum.</font>
71 Posts
Ooc — Arla
It was strange for the former nomad to actually care about others – since separating from his family the hybrid’s only concern had been himself, and he had intended on keeping it that way until crossing paths with the strange, silver-eyed female. She had somehow managed to convince him that creating his own pack would be beneficial to him, rather than having to deal with the politics that came with joining a pack. At least by creating a pack he was capable of creating his own rules and not having to follow anything he didn’t believe in. Styx thought it was strange that wolves actually wanted to join his pack and be part of the pirate influenced structure. The pirate leadership ranks and co-ranks were Styx’s way of maintaining the rouge lifestyle he had been so fond of – although they lived together, pirates were the rogues/nomads of the sea, doing what they pleased while still working together. And that’s how the charcoal hybrid saw Neverwinter – as long as the Crew respected the rules in placed and did not step out of line, Styx was rather lenient with what they did.
His attention was redirected to the fiery-eyed female before him as she spoke, her voice holding a strange accent that the lanky Captain could not place. He listened patiently, pointed ears cupped toward the female as each word fell off her tongue, seafoam eyes not once wavering from her dark figure. She was well-spoken, a quality that the coywolf was drawn to, but it was also something Styx had to be wary of. Those pretty words that stained the air could potentially be used against him – if they weren’t already filled with lies. How did he know that she was telling the truth? What about the two scents that stained her coat – were they her own, or had they been kidnapped from another pack?
It seemed that leadership was causing the lanky hybrid to grow paranoid. With a quick mental shake, Styx allowed a pause to fall before he introduced himself to Bishop. “I am Styx Constantin, leader of Neverwinter.” He was so used to not introducing himself that his own name didn’t taste right on his tongue, and felt foreign to his ears as it cannon-balled off his tongue. “We’re always looking for new members, as long as they are the right fit for the pack.” Two members had already disappeared after their acceptance so the lanky hybrid was being far more selective than he had been initially. “What is it you could offer to Neverwinter?”
6 Posts
Ooc — Ren
Nothing in life ever came easy to Bishop. She was used to working hard and applying herself, so her face brightened a little when Styx asked for her resume. Moments like this made her especially thankful for her father, and yes, even the difficult times she could look back on with appreciation. Who knows if she'd be the same woman today without those experiences, and despite everything, Bishop was happy with her life.
To his statement she gave a dip of her muzzle in compliance and understanding. To be honest she was just as interested in making sure this would be a good place to settle. Her son and Ipiktok were her responsibility, as a mother and caretaker she had a duty to attend to their growth and make sure they became fine upstanding men. Styx seemed polite, smart with his words, and those were usually good traits. Still she is careful. "I've held rank in a few packs before. For the most part they have been physical jobs; warrior, guard, greeter. Hunting, of course. But I have also dabbled in politics. Without knowing more about Neverwinter though, I don't think I can be more specific." Did the pack even have need for warriors? Guards? Or was this a peaceful sort of place.
At least she did have one very valuable card to play. "If nothing else, I can be taught." Alphas tend to take that two ways. Bishop herself, when she was queen, saw the ability to learn as an asset. Besides the obvious benefits of someone who can retain information, it's a good excuse to bond with new members of the pack. Whether or not Styx would see it the same way was yet to be seen, but as always, she was hopeful. Bishop was not haughty, but the girl believed in herself and the skills others had given her over the years.

"Bishop"
"Jean-Luc"
"Ipiktok"

71 Posts
Ooc — Arla
Styx really wasn’t good at this whole ‘being formal’ thing, nor did he like dragging conversations on – but both were required when meeting potential candidates for his pack. There were already two wolves who had come and quickly departed; the Captain wanted to make sure that did not happen again. There needed to be loyalty from his members or else the pirate pack would eventually fall apart – and Styx would not stand for that. He had given up his life as a rogue to be the leader of a pack and he would not accept failure as an option. Being a loner was easy – it was something he was exceptionally good at – and now the coywolf needed to master being part of a pack. However, for the nomad the only way he could be part of a pack was to be at the top. There was no other way.
While he was still wary of the stranger before him, Styx found himself immediately liking the golden-eyed Bishop. Her last statement caused the lanky Alpha to make his decision about whether she would be a part of the pirate pack or not, but he did not voice this aloud. He had shared little information with her about Neverwinter – what if she changed her mind about joining after she learned more?
“We are a family,” he started with a wisp of a smile, seafoam eyes focused on her dark frame. “We consider ourselves a ‘band of pirates’, and while I – and the other Alpha, Kat – encourage independence among our members, there are rules. And with those rules are strict consequences. We look out for each other and work as a unit, those who do not comply with that will not be a part of the pack.” After he finished speaking, the long-limbed leader gave a short wag of his tail. “If you are interested, there is a place for you in Neverwinter; however…” his voice trailed off, a brow quirked as he inhaled the two scents mingling with her own. “I would like to meet the two pup’s you brought along with you.”

6 Posts
Ooc — Ren
He said all the things she hoped he would, about loyalty family and his pack. Actually Neverwinter sounded very similar to the Rebels way of life she grew up in, right down to the consequences, but with a little more freedom. Bishop smiled and nodded, speaking with confidence. "That sounds like a perfect fit to me, Alpha Styx. Not too different from the way I was raised."
She laughed then, almost delightedly, as Styx brought up the children. Bishop had wondered if he would pick up on them or not, though regardless she would have mentioned the boys. A smile formed as the black wolf nodded, "Yes, I think you might be trustworthy enough to meet them now." Without pause the females head turned back over her shoulders, followed by a short sequence of yaps. The boys knew her calls well; time spent in the wilds clipped her tongue.
Almost instantly Jean-Luc burst through the cover with his ears slicked back and a wide grin spread on his muzzle. The albino was nearly galloping with his excitement, for a moment overshadowing the much younger of the pair. Ipiktok's pace was a slow trot behind his friend. The sandy pup had his ears up and wore an alert expression, but even at just 4 months the boy had a wonderful poker face. Despite the difference in their pace they seemed to arrive together, standing beside Bishop in height order.
With the children gathered - and after planting a kiss on JL's head - she spoke to them. "Boys this is Styx. He is the alpha of Neverwinter." They didn't need much more than that. Bishop and her mate raised her boys well enough to understand what the rank meant for their conduct, and how delicate initiations can be. Well the latter she mostly told them on the way.
The colorless pup, just pushing past six months and looking like a gangly teenager, spoke up first. His volume didn't exactly mirror his earlier enthusiasm, but perhaps more peculiar is the way his words dripped and plucked from his lips with a dash of French. A strong contrast to his mother's Germanic accent. "Hello Alpha, my name is Jean-Luc Vielen. I'm two seasons old and I like to help and stuff." Behind him an excited tail wagged back and forth taking a wide sweep. The rest of him was still and calm, with relaxed ears and eyes that rested just south of Styx's own. Ipiktok was a bit of a different story though.
The timber colored pup looked up at Styx in a similar manner to Jean-Luc, keeping within the boundaries of his position as an outsider and a puppy. The boy's father was very careful to instill in his son great understanding of hierarchy and rank and what it all meant. "I am Ipiktok." Even his voice was distinct from the others, raw, almost primitive despite the 'squeak' of puppy-hood. "From the Tartok family. I'm a little older than one season and I'd like to help out too, but when I am older I have to find my family and join them." Then Bishop moved to his side, cutting between the boys to make sure things were clear about this little pup.
"His father was a member of the Tartok pack, and a personal friend. They live by the old ways, and I am his guardian until he can be reunited with others of his family, if we find them." There was always the chance that Tartok wolves had not settled here, or that they were farther inland than the Northern wolves would like, but Bishop didn't want to dampen his spirits. She also wanted to keep them in perspective though.
Introductions completed, Bishop turned her gaze back to Styx to patiently await his verdict on the matter. Knowing ahead of time that one of the offspring may be a dispersal wolf did them no favors, but the dark wolf was not in the habit of keeping secrets. She would rather be honest and have to find a new home now than cross the bridge later. Hopefully though, Styx could find value in Bishop and her son enough to overlook that small shortcoming. Time would tell.

"Bishop"
"Jean-Luc"
"Ipiktok"

71 Posts
Ooc — Arla
i'm sorry for the delay! had my first assignment of the semester so i was focusing on that <3 and if you would like to post once more i can archive this! :)
There was always a flicker of worry when introducing Neverwinter to a potential member – after he was finished there was always the possibility that the wolf standing on the border could change their mind and seek refuge elsewhere. He could do his best at explaining the pack’s beliefs and the ground rules, but it was ultimately the loner’s decision, which was what worried the Alpha more. The slender hybrid was wary himself, as he only wanted the best for his pack and didn’t want to accept wolves that would end up vanishing in a few weeks. The disappearing act was a stunt that the spider-legged Captain would pull if he had ever attempted to join a pack, so he wasn’t too angry with the members that had left without a word. Some, like himself, were meant to be alone; however, the seafoam-eyed yearling was struggling to make the shift from angsty nomad to dedicated leader.
Offering a smile in return to the fiery-eyed female’s comment about bringing out the pup’s that were hidden nearby, the hybrid kept his gaze focused in the distance, waiting for the small shapes to appear. He was intrigued by not only her accent, but the strange call she had used to call the pups. Making a mental note to ask her about it during the next encounter, the lanky Alpha redirected his attention the two balls of fur bounding toward him. His smile remained pressed to his dark lips as they approached, lining up neatly next to the dark female. First to speak was pale youth, his features tinted pink and voice holding an accent much different to his mother’s. Styx nodded softly in greeting, a large, pointed ear cocked to the side as he studied the ghostly boy for a moment. “It’s nice to meet you, Jean-Luc,” he responded warmly before allowing his seafoam gaze to fall onto the sandy youth beside him. His voice was much different than both Jean-Luc’s and Bishop’s; there was something feral about the way he spoke, which Styx thought was peculiar considering his young age.
Allowing the corners of his mouth to remain upturned, he gave a short wag of his tail in greeting to the youth. “And it’s nice to meet you, as well, Ipiktok.” Before he could say another word, the fiery-eyed female cut in, elaborating on what the sandy-coloured pup had told him. Eyebrows raising at her comment he gave a single, short nod to show that he understood, though his gaze lingered on the Tartok pup for a moment. “I know we could use all of your help, so if you would like a home within Neverwinter there’s a place for each of you.” While he was wary of the sandy pup’s future intentions there was no reason why he couldn’t be a part of Neverwinter temporarily – perhaps, even if he found the rest of his family, he would remain in the pirate pack. He was young, and Styx was an idiot if he was going to refuse three potential members standing at his borders. “If you’d like, I can show you your new home?” He offered, indicating to the pine forest behind them, his tail wagging once more.
6 Posts
Ooc — Ren
(My turn to apologize for the wait! We can end this thread here if you like, I'll start getting these guys busy!)

Styx didn't comment about Ipi's special situation, and the dark mother let out a gentle breath of relief she didn't know was sitting in her throat. Not only was their care her responsibility, but in the time Bishop had gotten to know Ipi the boy became more and more like a son to her. Surprisingly, her wishes that he'd remain with them in Neverwinter were similar to the Alpha's but for different reasons. Perhaps they were even a little selfish, but she liked her son having a friend close to his own age. But the woman knew she shouldn't get too disheartened. After all, Neverwinter may have some children, and she could always...well, hopefully there would be some for Jean-Luc to play with if Ipi did have to leave.
Both the boys seemed to come alive with a spark of light as Styx welcomed them into his fold. The blue-eyed albino's tail began to swish, rocking his rear a little just before he eagerly accepted their new alpha's invitation. In his mind the youth was reciting over and over again the name, face, and status of Styx. This would be his third alpha to sit under (first dad and then Shinji), and each time he needed to adjust. Impressions were starting to become important to Jean-Luc, and he certainly didn't want to appear stupid by calling Styx the wrong name or something. Ipi, on the other hand, was far less worried about these things and more concerned with his future. Tartok was only seldom on his mind, but with Bishop mentioning it now his young mind was spinning with questions.
Herding the boys into order beside herself, Bishop took the initiative and prepared to take that first step over the borders. With her acceptance here a weight would slide off her shoulders, making the woman almost look breezy, as though she had wings on her paws. Winter would not be a concern with a pack to hunt alongside, and more eye would be watching her brood. Best of all, those long days of idle wandering were over. Bishop could focus her energy on work, which is really how she thrived. "Thank you Styx, I can't tell you how grateful I am. So I will have to show you with old fashioned toil." Words were never her favorite thing, not any longer, and actions were always the more paramount of the two. Bishop was happy to prove herself once more.

"Bishop"
"Jean-Luc"
"Ipiktok"