Redsand Canyon This magic spell you cast, this is la vie en rose
62 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Joining 
Tagging leadership, @Germanicus

The northern journey to the mountains had been long and grueling. But when they came to view, satisfaction suffused within her. These were the lands she knew best; the ones she used to call home. Not in these wilds, of course — but the general terrain was familiar nonetheless.

Alstroemeria had been exhausted by the days. Hunger quelled her motivation and strength; and yet, she went on. Tugged and pulled, refusing to close, her eyelids stung.. as did her eyes, dry with the constant winds. 

Thinned was her body now, pulled close against meek muscle and bone. Once she had been strong, but since then, the world had beaten her unto submission. 

As she trailed along the mountain path, she fumbled every so often, losing her footing. It was an odd thing for her. But there was reason to her faults. Ali wanted to collapse here and now, but she refused, instead just sinking over her haunches. If someone found her like this, so be it. She had no energy left to climb.
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
he patrolled again. icarus had been settled into his quarters.

when he went out it was into the brisk teeth of the wind. and here he discovered another stranger, weakened by the elements and horrendously maimed. he kept a small distance and checked the scents for any sign of infection.

she sat too near the borders. this was an act of desperation. "are you ill?" he asked gruffly of the woman, eyes scanning her emaciated frame.
62 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
After a while of silent sitting, she found that she was no longer alone. A man of large stature approached, caution embroidered within his features.  

Was she ill? She didn't think so. Just in desperate need of a long nap.

No, Ali answered through a hoarse cough. 

Dragging her paw slowly across the dirt, she later winced, lifting her paw to find the pad cracked and bloodied. S'pose this all was her punishment for escaping the hunters; the ghastly beasts. But what else could she have done?

Do you have a place I could sleep? She eventually asked in desperation, glancing towards the man with half closed lids.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
another starveling. but icarus had a skill to accompany him beyond their gates. this woman barely seemed alive. 

still germanicus was not cruel. he heard the seeking plea for mercy in her voice.

"this is mereo." he moved to help her stand. "i am germanicus."

a barracks did not exist upon charity. but neither would he build it with cruelty. 

"what happened?"
62 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Mereo? She repeated, nose wriggling at the title. Never before had she heard of a group being called such a thing. 

But when he came closer, Alstroemeria's feet scuttled into the ground, body moving in a low, defensive position. It was not him that she disliked, necessarily; it was the idea of man touching her.

I-i'm sorry... She uttered slowly, fumbling to find the words for an apology. I can walk on my own. If in another instance, she wouldn't have been against the assistance. But not now.

Rising back to a stand, Ali looked back to him. A band of wolves.. held me captive- I've just recently been rid of them, but lone traveling hasn't been easy. It was much to share — and yet, there were many more details. Ones she wouldn't share. Not with this stranger.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
the eagle offered the woman an obvious space between them at her words. so she had been a hostage.

but that begged another question. he halted their small progress into the canyon. "i will not ask you for specifics. but i must know how long ago you escaped and the last time you saw these creatures. if you were followed i must know what to tell my sentinels."

he would not turn her away. he only sought the intelligence which would ensure mereo's preparation.
62 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
A small sigh of relief escaped her. He was willing to give space, and for this, she was grateful. Ali showed it with a dip of her snout in thanks.

They soon stopped. Another question followed. It was a moon or so ago... if I were to have been followed, I'm sure I would know by now.

The wolves of Mereo had nothing to fear.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
germanicus nodded. he continued on. "our physician is lady aquene. i will take you to a den to rest. in the morning, it might be best to seek her for an examination."

the sounds of mereo grew louder, and as they continued, the general movement of the grounds became apparent.

he crossed the redsand territory and showed the woman to the commons, many skins laid out in an appealing pattern. "what shall i call you, domina?"
62 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Sentinels. Physicians. They had it all here. What a coincidence she happened upon this place.

I know not of what all she could do for me... She offered, followed by a light chuckle. Sleep is my only cure, surely. The rest of her wounds had settled for too long. None of them would ever truly here.

Domina? Latin? None had been heard anyone speak this way in quite some time.

Non debes me vocare "domina". Extremus ab eo sum, domine. Ali spoke this tongue; and so she would share the familiarity. You can call me Alstroemeria. Or Ali, if it is too much for the tongue.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
she spoke latin. germanicus kept the flicker of surprise from his voice. "non nimis, lady alstroemeria," he answered with a pleasant look.

he would keep her title of respect.

the man indicated the dens nearby. "there is plenty of plebian housing. the den you choose is yours to keep. we live together here," he murmured.

the man stepped away. from the refreshed cache he drew a pair of fat quail. he set this before the matronly woman in quiet.
62 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Last from me!

Lady Alstroemeria. This would take time to get used to... among other things.

Your generosity will not be forgotten, sir Germanicus. When my strength is returned to me, I will repay it in any way you see fit.

He stepped away, then returned with a meal. Dipping her head in thanks, she collected the quail and flagged her tail in farewell. Then she would be off to choose a den, likely one secluded from the others. If to get any decent sleep, silence and peace was required.