Poll: Do you think this could be a viable specialty?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes.
74.19%
74.19%
No.
3.23%
3.23%
Maybe, with some modifications.
22.58%
22.58%
Total
31 vote(s)
100%
* You voted for this item.

SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty
587 Posts
Ooc — KJ
Master Medic
I want to propose the addition of Hydrologist to the available specialties for the Naturalist trade.

I understand that "health of the waterways" is mentioned briefly as part of the Fisher specialty's skillset, but I feel that hydrology is an interesting enough study to warrant its own specialty under the Naturalist trade.  My interpretation of wolves interested in achieving Master Baiter Fisher are wolves whose main focus is to acquire food for the pack — they simply happen to get that food from the water and therefore pay more attention to waterways than most.  The focus is on the prey and not solely on the habitat.

I think Hydrologist would be nice because, like Geologist and Botanist, it focuses on a vast amount of things.  People would be able to get threads for their mastery in so many different ways!  Future packs that might take place on locations like Wheeling Gull Isle, Blackwater Islands, and Turtle Island are going to need plausible ways to find freshwater in order to survive.  For example, some islands are completely uninhabited and barren because there's no way to sustain life.  I did a ton of research before settling on Wheeling Gull Isle as a territory I wanted and checked what kinds of water sources would occur on an island that small.  It was so interesting to me!  I bet there are other people who are just as dorky as I am.  ♥

Plus, Hydrologist is a specialty that does not fit in with other specialties but could work so well with them.  There is some overlap, which is nice; I know I enjoyed flexibility when deciding to go Warrior or Guardian with Cypress, and sparring threads fit both ways.  So if an aspiring Meteorologist wants to examine rainfall or try to clock it somehow, an aspiring Hydrologist could also use the thread for trade mastery.  I checked out this link for some other ideas of possible trade threads and thought many of them sounded cool.

I hope you will consider this addition, though I'm not sure what it would entail as far as coding and stuff goes.

Iris did this for her Jester post, so I'm not sure if it's required for suggestions, but just in case:

Messages In This Thread
SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Coelacanth - February 23, 2018, 01:59 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Spiritwalker - February 23, 2018, 03:59 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Towhee - February 23, 2018, 09:28 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Ingram Sr - February 23, 2018, 09:44 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Towhee - February 23, 2018, 09:46 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Blixen - February 23, 2018, 10:55 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Corinna - February 23, 2018, 10:58 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Dune - February 23, 2018, 11:46 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Coelacanth - February 23, 2018, 12:08 PM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Towhee - February 23, 2018, 12:13 PM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Ramsay - February 25, 2018, 04:38 PM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Towhee - February 27, 2018, 10:57 AM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Reigi - February 27, 2018, 12:24 PM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Spiritwalker - February 25, 2018, 05:07 PM
RE: SUGGESTION: Hydrologist Specialty - by Titmouse (Ghost) - February 25, 2018, 05:13 PM