Stone Circle ex-girl, she the female version of me
The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Private 
Some PP of @Sorrel Marie. Let me know if I should change anything. Thread is for @Steady and/or @Valette. This is backdated about a week, he was gone for almost two days, probably.
Day gave a sharp bark as he approached the alphas' den. Even though he knew Keoni and Nikai still bedded down with them, he was wary of ever catching the two on unawares again. Whenever he knew they were around, he announced himself.

It was late, but this wasn't something he wanted to wait for. He'd left Sorrel back at his den with Sunny, Dawn, and Adeline - the girl had been dead on her paws after the long journey - and he didn't want Steady to wake up smelling a stranger without briefing him first.

And he was nervous. He knew that this might not go in his favor. In her favorite. He knew he'd already tested the strength of his and Steady's bond by bringing a wife and two kids into the picture. But his bleeding heart couldn't handle leaving a girl out in the cold, and he hoped that Stead would have similar feelings about the situation.

"Steady? Val?" he called softly, pressing his belly to the dirt as he awaited them. "I'm home - but there's something I need to talk to you about."
[Image: CYEyvJP.png?4]
What's Mine is Ours
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady was snoozing in the den, not really asleep, but he couldn't pass for awake, either. He hadn't been snuggled in long, having finished a round of patrols on the borders shortly before turning in. He was content to leave the outside world be as he took in the warmth of his mate and children.

But, alone he would not be left this evening. His ears swiveled as a chuff reached them, but the rest of his body did not move. A voice came next, clearly Grayday. The worry that laced his voice was not something Steady would ignore at any time of day or night. Carefully, he removed himself from his family, trying not to wake them as he made his way out of the den. He didn't bother to shake the dirt from his fur, as he hoped at some point he would back asleep.

What's up? he asked his Beta, his eyes becoming clearer and more focused as his brain turned on. His attention was focused on Grayday, and the smells that came from him. Steady sort of expected to smell other wolves on his brother, since he had been out and about in the world, but there seemed to be one that stuck out more heavily. But, Steady didn't comment on that just yet.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Steady emerged, bleary-eyed but alert. Day's throat was stopped at the sight of him, and for a moment, he considered retreating and trying again in the morning. The alpha had so much on his plate already - they'd taken in another lost child not a week before - and who was he to add more to that burden?

He should've left the girl behind, but he hadn't, and Day couldn't truly say whether he had it in him or not.

"I found a little girl, about the age of my own two," he said, releasing his tension in a tired sigh. "I offered to help her find her home, but she said that she couldn't go back, and that her mother was dead. So I brought her back with me - she's at my den with Addie and the kids."

There was more he wanted to say, but he didn't know how to say it without inciting the alpha's anger. He could never quite articulate all that he wanted, and more often than not, his words ended up being more inflamatory than soothing. So he stayed silent, waiting for Steady to say his piece and hoping to gauge the mood from there.
What's Mine is Ours
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady was surprised by Grayday's new admission of the pack, but not for reasons his brother might be thinking. Steady's expression was confused and thoughtful as he turned the information over in his head. Krypton had recently found a pup on their borders, and now this one, who might be about the same age. Were they siblings?

Where did you find her? he asked, wondering if it was nearby. Though, if the mother was dead, and the family scattered, it wouldn't be surprising that they wouldn't be found nearby of each other. Where was the father? Let her get settled in, fed and rested, and then take her to Krypton and introduce her to the pup she's caring for. It may be a coincidence that two pups have been found with no family, but maybe they're related. If they were related, at least they would be back together. If they weren't, that meant two families were missing pups. Steady would not turn her away, he had too much of a heart to do so. But, he did realize that this might put a damper on he and Valette having their own pups anytime soon. The pack was already doing their hardest raising the pups they had, and now they had two extra mouths to feed.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
"The marsh just north of here," he replied, absently.

Steady's thoughts were in line with Grayday's own. Though he would not be fathering pups this coming spring, he felt the season approaching as keenly as the alpha did - and Grayday wanted Valette to have every chance possible to rear healthy pups this year.

"Remember what I said when you told me I could bring Amber here - that we could raise our kids here?" he asked, wincing slightly as he thought of his absent partner. The beta forced those thoughts away and forged on. "I still want to do that for you, Steady. And... for the kids, too. I'm going to start getting them ready for us to leave sometime this spring. They'll be old enough to travel by then, and I think it'll do the three of us a lot of good to have some time together," he told Steady, a small, tired smile quirking the edges of his maw as he thought of Sunny's reaction to his first mention of "adventure".

"The hunting will be good by then - we'll all be alright," he said softly, knowing that Steady would probably not immediately like any idea that took family away. But this wasn't forever, and they wouldn't go too far that they couldn't visit from time to time. "We'd come back right before winter. The kids will be grown by then, and we'll all weather it together," he added, not wanting Steady to feel abandoned by this development.
What's Mine is Ours
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He looked thoughtful as his brother told him the pup was found in the marshes, wondering what might have happened. Any signs of anyone else around? Or a struggle that might have happened? He was wondering if the mother was attacked by someone else, wolf or other, and the pups happened to escape. But, then again, maybe it hadn't happened there.

His attention was drawn back to Grayday, and he nodded that he remembered. He had been worried about his decision then, but it had quickly dissipated as the days went on. He wanted nothing more than Grayday here, and he had done what needed to be done to keep him here. The fact that they got a new family, and that Amber had abandoned them, wasn't something Steady looked negatively upon. He couldn't imagine this pack without Sunny and Dawn. It was as if it was all meant to be.

His mood changed to confusion as he tried to understand what Grayday was saying now, and his ears turned back in a slight irritation. I don't understand, he admitted. Grayday wanted to leave? He said he would come back before winter, but there was so much time between now and then that anything could happen. You won't have the protection of the pack if you go, he pointed out, worried that Grayday would find himself in a predicament he couldn't get out of. Lone wolves did not thrive like pack wolves did. And with him taking his son and daughter, as well, they could all end up in the face of danger and not come out alive. Why do you want to go? he asked, wondering if something had happened here that he wasn't aware of. Was Grayday not happy here anymore?

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
"No one else was around," he said with confidence. Whatever had happened to Sorrel, her family had been far behind her. "She didn't smell like a struggle, but she was distraught when I found her."

His ears slicked back at Steady's change in tone, and he looked down at his paws, contemplative.

"I've been a terrible dad to them," he pointed out, assuming that Steady would have seen this already. "We need time together, and we won't get it if we stay here. I'll find a reason to be up all night, or away for a few days, or any other stupid excuse I used to ignore them and let them be someone else's problem."

His voice had grown harsh and frustrated, and he shot Steady an apologetic look. "I know we won't have the pack's protection, but that's never been a guaruntee of safety anyway," he said with a sad, wry smile. "They'll be safer than they have been if I stay right next to them, and I wouldn't worry about food. There'll be good hunting in the springtime, and by the time spring is over, they'll be nearly grown."
What's Mine is Ours
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He frowned when Grayday admitted the pup had been distraught when he found her. He didn't like it when pups were scared and alone, and who knows what she had witnessed. Well, I hope she knows she's safe now, he commented.

His frowned deepened when his brother accused himself of being a bad Dad. He hadn't really kept track of how Grayday and his pups were doing, but no one had spoken out against Grayday, and therefore Steady had never thought to check up and see that they were happy together. The pups seemed well enough so, but it was obvious that Grayday had doubts. He couldn't disagree with Grayday wanting to spend time with them, but why did he have to leave to do it?

He sighed. He didn't want to argue, because at the end of the day, Grayday's reasonings were sound. He wanted to be a better Dad, and Steady would never fault him for that. Well, I... I wish you didn't have to go,  he admitted. But, I hope you and Sunny and Dawn will become closer for it. He wouldn't deny Grayday this opportunity, even if he did wish it could be different.

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Relief curled warm in his belly when Steady gave his reluctant constent. Grayday wasn't sure whether or not he'd've gone against Steady's orders, but he'd been feeling a growing need to get out, lately - one that he wasn't comfortable sharing with his tempermental alpha. Steady was too, well, steady to understand what was going on in his wayward beta's heart. At least, that was what Grayday assumed.

"Don't worry - I'll be back in time to corrupt your children," he assured his brother, tail wagging happily just at the thought. "Who else would bring them skunks to play with?"
What's Mine is Ours
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He wasn't quite sure what possessed him to give Grayday his blessing on leaving. If it had been anyone else, Steady would have questioned it more. But, he had called Grayday "brother" for some time now, and he trusted the male. If Grayday said he would come back, then he would. Besides, he did realize that not everyone was such a homebody like himself. Steady had no will to leave the pack lands for any amount of time; no desire to see what else was out there. Here was where he wanted to be.

He chuckled, remember their previous conversation about skunks. I'll hold you to that, he said, a smile appearing on his maw. He didn't feel great that his Beta was leaving, but he felt sure Grayday would return once their hunger for adventure was fed.

The Sword of the Morning
Health - 75% (75/100)
1,744 Posts
Ooc — mixedhearts
Tracker
Therapist
Grayday gazed a moment longer at the darker wolf, affection for the man welling up in his chest. He was lucky to have met him, lucky to have been a part of this pack. Everything he had, he felt he owed to Steady. His rank, his health, his children's lives. Adeline.

His smile dimmed, and he offered the alpha one last wag of his tail before begging off: "I better get back to the kids - and let you get to yours. Goodnight, Steady."

Turning away, the beta beat a hasty retreat.
What's Mine is Ours