Redhawk Caldera you don't fuckle with the shuckle
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
All Welcome 
First post with Raven since getting her back! Gonna take me some time to find my stride with this gal again. o_O

The midsummer sun beat down on the world with such an intensity that she might have felt like an ant beneath a magnifying glass...if she didn't love it so much. She basked in the warmth that enveloped her sleek black body like a hug, soaking in the rays and blinking her electric-gold eyes in its brightness. Summer was definitely her favorite season, and while she wasn't usually one to take a break from the million things she had to do, she found herself struggling to resist the temptation to take a nap on this gloriously warm afternoon. The bugs were buzzing, the birds chirring in the trees, and just the slightest breeze kept the flies at bay. Her eyelids drooped, and she shook herself with a gentle admonishment: "No...no... there's too much to do." Yet still she lay where she had sprawled in soft grass and swaying wildflowers, idly thinking through lists of plants she still needed to get while the getting was good.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She was desperate for a drink following her arduously boring patrol; her mouth felt like it was full of hot summer dust. Licking her chops as she strode up the caldera's flank, Towhee cast her eyes around for any sign of water. Instead, she found an oil slick: Raven basking in the sun. Towhee quirked a brow at her older sister, a smile arching her dry lips as she corrected her course and approached the pack's medic.

She didn't say a word when she drew up next to Raven, simply ducked her head to rub against Raven's just like a cat. Ignoring her thirst, she flopped down beside the other she-wolf. It wasn't often that either one of them just sat still for any length of time but if Towhee didn't know better, she'd say it looked as if the caregiver was sunbathing.

-When do wolf pups' eyes open? And ears?- Towhee signed at Raven, since the puppies were nearly always on her mind and she couldn't wait to see them grow and develop. -Think I'll get to meet them soon?- she added.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
I was hoping you would reply! :D I'm assuming Raven would use signing with Towhee here. Or would she just speak and Towhee lip-read? What would be most normal for them? Guide me, O master. :)

It just wasn't her way to be idle, but as hard as she worked, it actually felt really nice to take a break for a bit. She didn't begrudge the pack their constant demands on her time and skills, though. She loved her work, and now that there was another new litter of puppies to care for, she was more tireless than ever ensuring her supplies were well-stocked, food was provided for Aunt Flea, and she was nearby as often as possible in case the mother or babies needed attention.

She thought back to the days when she herself had been a nursing mother to her own siblings, and she didn't envy the task ahead of Finley. Raven recalled her time as a surrogate mom with nothing but fondness and warmth, but she was glad the pups were growing up now...even if it did make her a little sad sometimes.

Speaking of the pups, soft footfalls on the thick carpet of grass caught her attention and turned out to be none other than Towhee. Raven felt a wave of affection run through her at the sight of the girl, and she grinned as their heads rubbed together. Towhee joined her in the grass, and once she was settled, she asked about puppies. Towhee was ridiculously smart, so questions were never in short supply but Raven was always happy to answer them. Turning a little so she could sign somewhat coherently from her position, she replied, -Their eyes should be opening now, but ears will be another week or two. I'm sure Aunt Flea will let you see them soon. Maybe we can ask her later. She licked the girl's dark, shiny head before asking, -What are you up to today?-
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I had to nab it! :D

I always figured Raven's fluency in ptero would be about a 9 on a scale of 1-10 but it's totally up to you! Towhee herself uses a mix of signing and speech, so I use the different formatting from my signature to denote each. (I nearly never describe the signing in any detail, as that'd be far too involved!) You're of course welcome to do the same. :)

Her heart did a funny little twitch in her chest at this news. She was doing her best to be patient but if the pups could see now, she desperately wanted to meet them. Towhee wanted to show them ptero right off the bat so she would be able to communicate with them even once their ears opened and they began learning speech, especially since it would take months before they could speak clearly enough for her to read their lips. Plus, she just wanted to see their little faces and let them see hers, so they could start getting to know one another.

Drawing in a steadying breath, the teenager focused on Raven's question. Hopefully she was right and Finley would let her meet the pups soon. -I was just patrolling and I'm dying for a drink,- she replied. -Maybe a swim too...- she thought "out loud." -Wanna go to the caldera with me?- Of course, they were technically on the caldera but Towhee specifically meant the territory's namesake landmark: the lake right at its heart.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Thanks for the quick run-down! It's very helpful. :) For the sake of keeping things simple, I'll use the same formatting in my own posts when you and I roleplay together. And if you have any suggestions for things that I should be doing differently (you played Raven longer than I did, really!), please don't hesitate to let me know. <3

Raven grinned at the girl's mention of patrolling, proud that Towhee was growing up to be such a dedicated, hardworking member of the pack. What might have crippled or stunted the development of any other puppy -- or gotten it killed altogether -- had only made Towhee stronger, smarter, and better-equipped to deal with life's challenges. There was truly no force of nature more formidable than a Redhawk, especially one with any measure of odds to overcome, and every bit of that fire shone in those intelligent ember eyes that implored her now to come to the caldera.

"Of course," Raven said with a laugh, pulling herself to her feet and shaking loose bits of grass and debris from her coat. There were almost zero situations she could think of in which she would turn down a chance to hang out with one of her younger siblings. -A swim would actually be really nice right now. Race you?- Towhee was of the age now where she might just outrun her older sister, but Raven nevertheless enjoyed the opportunity for a little friendly competition.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
When Raven rose and shook out her pelt, Towhee did the same. Her eyes tracked the bits of dust and dirt that floated off them before seeking her sister's face again as Raven signed at her. -You're on!- the Xi responded. It was tempting to make a break for it but, for fairness's sake, she strode to stand at the medic's shoulder. It took her by surprise when she realized she actually stood a shade taller than the two-year-old now. Towhee still had some growing to do but she would definitely take after her father when it came to size.

-Ready?- she signaled. Then, out loud, she began to count down: "Three... two... one... go!" She dug her black toes into the earth, then sprang forward. It was hot and she was already tired and thirsty from her patrol. But Towhee put all her energy into the run, not really because she wanted to beat Raven but because the sooner she reached their destination, the sooner she could plunge her tongue and the rest of her body in that cool, refreshing water.

1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
I just love Towhee so damn much. <3

Raven knew her sister wouldn't be able to resist a race, and she grinned mischievously as the girl rose to her challenge. It wasn't until the two stood side-by-side that it struck her just how fast time was going by. The adorable, roly-poly little fuzzball of only a few months ago was now taller than she was. The height difference was only that of a few hairs for now, but Towhee was still growing and there would come a day when she might tower over Raven. She had a fleeting moment of wtf when did this happen before Towhee was off and running, almost immediately leaving her older sister in the dust.

Raven was light and fast, though, and hadn't been out patrolling all morning like Towhee had. It only took a couple of minutes for her to mostly catch up to the younger she-wolf, but no matter how hard she pushed herself, she couldn't gain that extra few inches she needed to overtake her sister's lead. That was okay with her, though -- she didn't mind letting the youngster win. It was good for her confidence. Raven couldn't help the wild cackle that burst from her as the two of them barreled toward the water that shimmered in the rapidly-decreasing distance. Some days it just felt so good to be alive!
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
:D

When Towhee first looked behind her, Raven was several meters away but gaining fast. The next time she chanced a backward glance, her older sister was nearly at her flank. She wanted to push herself harder and faster, but she could already feel her weary muscles complaining. Besides, there was something enjoyable about running side by side like this, their footsteps syncing as they rocketed toward refreshment.

And refreshing it was when the Xi plunged into the cool waters without slowing down. She didn't hear Raven's happy whoop, nor the splash as her body crashed into the watering hole. But as she went beneath the surface, she did feel the pressure on her (otherwise useless) inner ears. There was even a small popping sensation before she kicked back to the surface, head breaking through with a loud, happy gasp.

1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
The two plunged into the water like galloping horses, sending sprays of sparkling water every which way. Raven knew that Towhee was perfectly fine, but the maternal instincts in her nevertheless demanded that she first ensure Towhee's head came back above the surface before she dipped her own under. The cold water was an exhilarating shock on her dark, sun-baked body, and as she came back up to the surface, she felt invigorating shivers run the length of her spine. For a moment, she just floated and enjoyed the water, feeling tensions she hadn't even known she had easing away. She had a brief flash of insight that this might be a useful form of therapy for injured or aging members of their packs -- the lack of pressure and weight on her joints really felt quite wonderful.

Turning around, she spotted Towhee close by and playfully sent a fine sheet of water arcing her way.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Not long after breaking through the surface, Raven swept a small wave of water her way. Towhee sputtered as it smacked her right in the face before playfully swiping her own splash in her older sister's direction. She then promptly spun and kicked all four legs, doggy paddling swiftly away from the caregiver's retribution.

She cruised toward the center of the lake, ignoring the dull ache in her heavy limbs as she glided through the cool water. Not wanting to mess with the fatigue too much, she swam in an arch and turned her muzzle back toward the shore. She was a strong swimmer and made good time, soon feeling the slimy lake bottom beneath her toes as she reached the shallows.

Standing in water that nearly reached her belly, Towhee enjoyed the sensation of it dripping off her waterlogged pelt. She waved her tail, sending an arc of droplets across the lake, and then gave herself a bodily shake before wading to the shore to enjoy the warm air on her damp coat.

As she made herself comfortable and looked over at Raven, she felt a sudden, sharp pain somewhere between her ear and jawbone on the right side. Towhee flexed her jaw muscles instinctively, wincing and giving a little cry as the pain came again. It felt as if someone had jammed a fang into the side of her face, near the root of her dysfunctional ear.

1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Raven sputtered a laugh as her sister returned fire, hitting her full in the face with a splash of her own. Rather than erupting into an all-out waterfight, though, the two of them succumbed to the relaxing pleasure of the cool water and simply swam for a time. Raven loved the water's gentle buoyancy, feeling it bob and rock her body around under the warm sunlight while her toes just barely grazed the soft mud at the bottom. Her mind always on work in some way or another, she wondered how this weightlessness would feel when she was older and her joints were achy and arthritic.

Towhee had swum out a little further, and while Raven knew her sister was a skilled swimmer, she still kept an eye on the youngster just for safety's sake. If anyone was going to drown, it wasn't going to be on her watch. She did a little swimming of her own as well, not quite going out as far as Towhee but still moving some distance before the two of them came back together again. Within moments it was clear Towhee was feeling some discomfort, and if there was any uncertainty, the younger wolf's small whimper swiftly dispelled it. Immediately rushing to her sister's side, Raven caught her eye and asked her, "What's wrong?" She'd noticed Towhee's flexing of her jaws -- was it a toothache? Did she have something lodged in her throat? In her teeth?
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She continued working her jaw, clenching her teeth now and again to see if it helped. The sharpness did slowly fade, leaving a dull ache in its wake. Meanwhile, Raven had flicked to her side, a look of concern on her face when Towhee glanced at her. "What's wrong?" the medic mouthed and the Xi could only shake her head to say, "I don't know."

-There's a pain around my ear on the right side,- she explained. -It's going away now, but it felt like someone jabbed me with a stick or something. It...- Her motions slowed, then stopped, as Towhee felt a strange sensation in her ear that prompted her to tilt her head to the right. She felt something shift deep in her ear canal, soon after followed by a dribble of cool water that wetted her cheek.

-That's better,- she reported, brows lifting inquisitively at Raven, wondering if the medicine woman could explain it.

1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Raven's medical knowledge was extraordinarily extensive for a wolf, particularly one of her young age, but she was perplexed by Towhee's pain.  Things that were internal were significantly more complicated and difficult to diagnose than wounds and ailments she could see.  She saw the little rivulet of water dribble from Towhee's ear, though, and at that same moment the youngster confirmed that it felt better.  "Huh," Raven said, both curiosity and relief evident in both her voice and her expression.  

-There may have been some water trapped in your ear, she speculated when Towhee looked to her for her thoughts.  -Might be best if you kept your head above water to avoid that happening again.  You wouldn't want it to get stuck in there permanently.-  Raven wondered exactly what it was inside an ear that could retain water in such a way, since she'd never experienced this problem herself.  But then again, it was possible that the two of them might have very different ears inside.  Raven had never understood exactly what it was that allowed her to hear where Towhee could not.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
The youth's brows lifted. -Can that happen?- she signed worriedly, peering almost accusingly at the calm lake. Towhee pondered the logistics of it. It did make sense that water could creep into her ear canals; they were more or less open holes on the side of her face. But how come water didn't leak into her eyes and nose? Or, like... her butt?

She pondered posing that very question to Raven when she swallowed, causing that popping sensation to reoccur. It didn't hurt, it just felt strange. And there was another sensation paired with it, one Towhee couldn't possibly describe. Fortunately, both ceased and her ear felt more or less normal, albeit a little wet.

Giving her head a rapid shake just for good measure, Towhee settled down beside Raven and asked, -Can water get up your butt? And get stuck?- It was kind of a goofy question, though there was a serious look to the young wolf's orange eyes as she asked.

1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Omg, lmfao this child <3333

Raven nodded an affirmative to Towhee's first question. While she didn't have any first-hand experience with it beyond what had just happened moments ago, she figured if water could get trapped in the ear temporarily then it was possible it could stuck in there forever. She hoped the overly inquisitive girl wouldn't go trying to find out on her own by dunking her head underwater every chance she got. Then again, Towhee was a lot smarter than Raven (at least in Raven's opinion), so the healer had faith that her sister had more sense than to do something like that.

Her next question almost made Raven bust up laughing. The girl had asked it in seriousness, though, and Raven managed to keep her amusement limited to a grin. "No," she said with a shake of her head, before adding sign to her words for better clarity, -Think about it. When you have...stuff...IN there, it doesn't just fall out. Right? You have to uh...push it out. It works the same way in reverse. Nothing can go IN there by itself. And since you can't like...suck things up through your butt, I don't think you have to worry about it.- Raven did her best to get through that explanation with a straight face, and pulled it off more or less successfully.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,972 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Although the question had been posed in all seriousness and Raven did her best to reply clinically, Towhee couldn't help but smile, then start laughing, at the absurdity of the conversation. She supposed it made sense and now she felt a little ridiculous for asking. But she knew her sister wouldn't hold it against her for asking such a silly question.

-Okay, well, that's good,- the Xi signed with an unwitting snort. She lapsed into silence, stretching out on the shore. Her dark coat glistered over her lean muscles as she relaxed there on the beach, enjoying the cool dampness of her fur and the warm summer sunshine to offset it.

"Think I might take a nap," she said, speaking aloud because her chin had sunk down to trap her forelegs, making signing impossible. "So ti..." But the word was lost in a loud snore as Towhee promptly fell asleep.

I'm glad you enjoy this little butthead. Let's have another soon!

1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Definitely! <3

Towhee collapsed suddenly, which for a few brief seconds freaked Raven out until she realized her sister was just that tired. Smiling fondly, she lay down a few feet from Towhee and made herself comfortable. The warm breeze flipped and tousled her sleek black fur and the smell of flowers was thick in the air as she gazed out over the blue, windswept expanse of the caldera and listened to the steady rhythm of her sister's breathing. She would remain here until Towhee awoke, keeping watch over the youngster and enjoying the afternoon calm.