Neverwinter Forest holy water running dry
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra had experienced only the bare minimum of wounds to her psyche, though her pride did not permit she endure such turmoil for long. She was unable to empathize and did not pretend that she understood. He knew best about his sister, and if he believed that traveling was the medicine for her, so be it—Hydra had no reason not to believe him, and he had given her the answer she sought. Hydra could read between the lines to arrive at his point: no

And she was not angry with him for it; he had not conned or deceived her, not from the start. He had determined to sit upon a ship that would not stop again at her port, and she must let him pass. Another peal of thunder sounded, and her heart thudded in her throat as he spoke again. 

She was surprised to hear that he had missed her companionship, though he proved as much in remaining here still. Surprised, more, to hear him consider aloud a return. This she wanted—it was clear in the questions she had pressed him with—but would not encourage, because what dismayed her more than him finding another was his resentment toward her should he think she coerced him into acting in a way he did not desire to. More than that, she wanted such a commitment to be done of his own volition. Her ears twitched atop her crown, and listened to the rain for a moment as she considered all of this. 

Those unwelcome to stay are those that intend to come and go, she breathed, and continued: I understood before, and you were welcome as it was Winter, and you were honest then with your plan to leave once the season passed; it was disappointing to see you go, though I knew you must. I could bear it once, she expressed, but not again. Because for him to leave again would be for her to know concretely she was not what he had come for after all; it was a selfish thing, truly, and she knew it, but the two of them shared attributes within that category, she felt. So if it comes to pass that you do decide to return, she expressed, let it be because you know that is where you want to be. He and his sister had endured much, she imagined, for she could hedge some conclusions based on his words; it was their life, and their choice, and Hydra would not condemn him for returning if he himself wanted to be there. Not simply to keep warm and fed, as he had in the Winter—for something more than survival. 

Hydra did not wish for him to perceive home as chains; but he would if he had no say in the matter and no other perspective with which to look upon the place. She wanted him to want this for himself. The Ostrega moved toward him, to press her nose against his shoulder. If this life with your sister is what gives you wings, know that the last thing I desire is to remove them from you. And if you must fly north, as some birds will once Winter passes, she continued, then I understand. She had offered him refuge once, thinking as much, but knowing it was different. But I seek more than that. Her nose, if it had made contact, would trace to the apex of his shoulderblade and linger there a moment before she removed it. 

Subtle, but to the point—she did not begrudge him, would not begrudge him, for his ways; but there were others that might display their interest, and were he not around, there was little point to wait for what might never come. Hydra knew he would not ask it of her, just as she would not make any demands of him; but it all came at a cost, and her words were spoken to provoke him to reveal to her just what it was he meant by his words. She did not need an answer about his future plans, but she desired to understand why he would speak of missing her when there was nothing he would do for it—

That was wrong, no, that was not the reason, because she understood in a way that he might, but perhaps he himself was waiting for her words, to see if such a chance existed for him. It did! What was more? Well, his loyalty; perhaps he might not flirt with the women of the Teekons, as her sister had revealed to her long ago (oh, she could not forget that!)... As for what else, she supposed she might know it in the moment, but at least now he would know there was more he could stand to gain, but only if he could know for himself it was truly what he wanted; Hydra would not permit him into her life again at all, and at least he would know why.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
Messages In This Thread
holy water running dry - by Dirge - June 16, 2018, 03:15 PM
RE: holy water running dry - by Hydra - June 17, 2018, 10:36 PM
RE: holy water running dry - by Dirge - June 18, 2018, 02:47 AM
RE: holy water running dry - by Hydra - June 18, 2018, 09:29 AM
RE: holy water running dry - by Dirge - June 18, 2018, 04:21 PM
RE: holy water running dry - by Hydra - June 19, 2018, 10:51 AM
RE: holy water running dry - by Dirge - June 19, 2018, 02:46 PM
RE: holy water running dry - by Hydra - June 19, 2018, 05:10 PM
RE: holy water running dry - by Dirge - June 19, 2018, 05:57 PM
RE: holy water running dry - by Hydra - June 19, 2018, 09:20 PM