Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
All Welcome 
After spending a day catching up with everyone on Moonspear—namely @Orca II and @Seal—and passing along open invitations to visit them at the copse, it was time to head home. Meerkat smiled over that word as they climbed down the mountainside. She really, truly hoped the copse would be her first and her last.

She and @Njord reached the foot of the mount and found themselves crossing paths with Towhee. Meerkat’s eyes lit up at the sight of her mother, eager to tell her where they were going and invite her along. But then she saw the look on her mother’s face.

Several hours later, the trio made it back to the copse. While her mate hung back to perform a border sweep, Meerkat walked her mother to the place where she and Njord had been sleeping until they found a proper ulaq for themselves. She didn’t leave Towhee’s side until she fell asleep, then only departed reluctantly to fetch something to eat.

She thought of her younger brother as she walked slowly through the foggy woods. It was hard to believe such a goofy, loving man was dead. Her eyes began to mist as she thought of Caracal’s poor family, mentally willing @Heda and the remaining children to somehow find their way here.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The young coyote skirted around the mountains, heading so far north, he smelled salt on the wind. Although this intrigued him, Talisman needed to hunt before he considered exploring further. Just past a few mountain springs, he spied a forest and loped that way. Certainly he could scrounge up some small game in the misty woods.

Talis experienced a keen sense of déjà vu when fresh scent markers halted him in his tracks. Wolves lived here. He huffed out a sigh, sepia snout lifting a little as he studied the smells. The markers were neither numerous nor strong, though he had no desire to trespass. He didn’t need to take that risk, nor further the stereotype that his kind were thieves.

He pivoted on a weather-beaten paw and looked westward, though he didn’t take a step just yet. He would have to cross more streams, which always came with the risk of otters. Talis drew in a deep breath through his nose as he deliberated.

This can be a cameo if somebody else wants to jump in here. :)
Moonspear
Villager
462 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ajei wasn't often far from home. But she had tasked herself with walking a diatance one way each week. Sometimes every few weeks. She was not one with an adventurer spirit. But she longed to be able to understand what those dearest to her would talk about. And so she walked.

Green eyes watched the flitting of birds in the trees. The way the sun peeked amongst the shadows and the sound of the wind in the trees. It was beautiful here.

A small smile as a scent she knew came too her, but she didn't know why. Until she came upon her. The woman that had stared so rudely at Arrluk the day of the story. 

She felt a little bit of irritation, but her mother taught her well.

Hello. She said pleasantly
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
The sound of a voice snapped Meerkat out of her wandering thoughts. She froze, feeling rather defensive of their vulnerable claim here. She quickly realized she’d reached the northernmost reaches of the copse and, besides, she knew this young woman.

Hello, she greeted, smiling as she moved toward the young girl. It’s Ajei, right? Meerkat asked, thinking of the time she and Frolic had visited Moonspear to see Seal.

She wondered what had brought Ajei here today. She wouldn’t be looking for Seal here. Perhaps she was just exploring for the sake of it, in which case Meerkat would be happy to invite her on a tour of her new home.

Thank you SO much for rescuing this!
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
184 Posts
Ooc — Kat
The sound of voices decided for him. As much as he enjoyed making new friends—life on the road could be so darned lonely—Talisman didn’t want to possibly cause a stir. Besides, he was still very hungry. On fleet feet, he darted in his chosen direction, his cream figure quickly disappearing into the fog. Otters be damned.
Moonspear
Villager
462 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ajei's ears pinned to her head when she noticed the slight defensiveness to the older woman. Though she quickly lifted an ear at her words.

A small nod. Yes. I'm Ajei. I remember your face, but you hopwfully can forgive me. I've forgotten your name. I'm sorry.

A small sheepish smile then. She had came upon this woman with irritation in her heart, when it was her the woman should have her ire up with.

Ajei looked around. You aren't in moonspear?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Oh, it’s okay. You can call me Meerkat, she said. No, we ju—

The sound of paws scurrying in the leaf litter made her lapse into abrupt silence. Meerkat listened to what sounded like canine footfalls, though the noise quickly moved away, out of earshot. She drew in a breath, then decided there was likely no threat.

Sorry, I thought I heard something. Anyway, my mate—Seal’s dad—and I decided we’re going to start a village here in the copse, Meerkat shared. We will be sister packs with all the Moon villages, although I suppose we will be a Sun village, she realized with a quiet chuckle.

The laughter quickly died in her throat. It was difficult to make merry on such a day, though she wanted to be a good hostess. Meerkat motioned for Ajei to join her and turned to continue striding now along the copse’s fringe. She’d hardly walked very far at all before coming upon the scent of a coyote.

What brings you all the way out here today? she wondered, trying to make conversation even as she scratched her paws against the ground to overlay her own scent.
Moonspear
Villager
462 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ears went to skull and tail was tucked at the first skittering noise. She froze also and looked towards it. But she saw nothing. Nose twitching, ears quivering she finally unfurled herself and gave a soft snort. She hated when noises scared her, but well that was rather loud and confusing if she was honest. 

Ajei smiled softly. Oh that reminds me of sun man. It is good to love both the sun and moon.

Ajei listened and smiled larger at the mention of her friend mine. Oh Mr. Njord!

The laughter felt strange, sad and forced in a way and Ajei wanted to help, but she wasn't entirely sure how. She looked around. It seemed a little lonely. Are you okay Missus Meerkat? I don't mean to pry, but well you seem awful sad.

Ajei's ears drooped a little and though her tail hit her leg, she didn't wag it. Uncertainty making it's way deep into her chest. Had she offended somehow. Her mama wouldn't like that.

Though the next question and she looked a little sheepish. Mama has me and Chiteo. Moonwoman has Arrluk, Kassuq and Massaraq. They are all much braver than me. They like to adventure and have fun and be out. I don't like it much. Neither does Arrluk really. But he does go. But I know when they come back from their spirit journeys they will have much to share. And I.

Her words died in her throat. And she cleared it a little embarrassed. I'd like to be able to know what they are talking about at least a little so they can share that with me.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
In the following moments, Meerkat came to the realization that Ajei was a very sensitive soul. She was friendly and polite, though there was an undercurrent of anxiousness about her. Perhaps she was an empath, which would explain the way she sensed the sadness Meerkwas was trying not to let show too much.

I’m alright, though thank you for asking. My family’s just had a loss. I know your family knows what that’s like, Meerkat said, going still as she thought of Samani. I actually saw Arrluk the other day, she continued after a moment, eyes soft on the young girl’s bashful face. Going out and doing things you enjoy doesn’t seem nearly as brave as going out and doing things that scare you, Meerkat gently reminded.

Once she was satisfied that she’d covered any trace of the coyote, Meerkat turned inward. She still needed to fetch something to eat for Towhee. And hopefully Ajei would feel a little safer deeper into the copse, even if their claim was fairly tenuous. At the very least, a tour of the place might be a good way to put her at ease.

Come on, I’ll show you around. It’s called Sun Mote Copse, by the way, Meerkat said as she began moving again, glancing over her shoulder to make sure the pup was following. We may cross paths with my mother. Do you remember Towhee? It’s fine if you don’t, she added quickly, not wanting to contribute to Ajei’s anxiety.
Moonspear
Villager
462 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ajei tried not to let her softer nature get the best of her. But sometimes it did. She just felt if she was going to be in a world that could be a little bit cold. She could bring some warmth back into it. Just one step at a time. 

Ears drooped. She nodded. Yes I didn't know her well. But my heart brother, Rodyn is very sad. And so are the boys. So even if I didn't know them. I can be sad for her, for them. and for her babies. I'm sorry about your loss too, Missus Meerkat. It's not easy.

Ajei's eyes lit up a little and she smiled brightly. Arrluk is one of my dearest ones. He loves rivers and forests, and lakes. Massaraq likes to walk through the forests more, but he always wants to be swift.

Ajei felt her smile wobble a little. Thank you. IT was nice to hear that she was brave, but she wasn't as brave as the boys or her mama. And honestly she wasn't sure if she ever would be. She hoped at least to have a fraction of her mother's bravery, it would be nice. 

Ajei nodded. It was foggy, but she remembered the older wolf that had been there before Meerkat.  I remember her. It has a pretty name. I can help you make borders if you want. Mama taught me.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Arrluk and I saw the moonbow at the nearby falls the other night, Meerkat shared, the corners of her mouth twitching. I don’t know if you remember but I have a daughter who looks just like him. Her name is Orca. She and Seal stayed with Moonspear.

Ajei offered to help her mark the borders. Although she appreciated the sentiment, Meerkat shook her head. She had something else in mind now, though she supposed she should float it past her young guest to see if she was onboard.

I’d actually love to give you a tour, while we keep an eye out for something to hunt. I want to bring something to my mother. It was my older brother—her son—who passed and she’s having a hard time. Would you like to help with that instead?
Moonspear
Villager
462 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ajei blew out a small breath and nodded. She felt a fierceness then that wasn't normal and she titled an ear and was thinking on how to answer. Without offfense.

I know. He is shy about his colors or he was. He has learned to accept them. I haven't met Orca yet. Only Seal. She's sweet and lovely.

Instead she decided it was past and didn't need mentioned. And meeting Meerkat now. She didn't think she had meant to upset him by staring all those moons ago.

What is the moonbow?

I will be glad to help, but I am not the best hunter. Juat so you know. a smile then.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Her brow furrowed slightly when Ajei spoke of her brother’s shyness about his appearance. “He has learned to accept them,” made it sound as if he didn’t like the way he looked. Meerkat chewed the inside of her cheek. Both he and Orca were lovely children. She hated that he’d thought otherwise at any point.

Yes, I know you two are fast friends, Frolic too, Meerkat acknowledged with a maternal smile. Next time you see Seal, you should ask her to introduce you to her sister. I think you two would get along just as well. And for the record, I think both she and your brother have some of the loveliest markings I’ve ever seen. My Orca was named after her aunt, who also took after a killer whale.

She thought she heard rustling ahead and stopped, motioning for Ajei to do the same. Thinking it might be Towhee approaching, she kept still. Calling out wouldn’t serve any purpose, so they just needed to wait for her mother to make an appearance. But she didn’t, as it turned out it was just a particularly noisy squirrel, who seemingly caught the wolves’ scent and darted up a tree to loudly scold them.

Laughing, Meerkat motioned Ajei forward and said, Don’t worry, I’m not the greatest hunter either. Speaking of which, this area of the copse is what my husband refers to as the northern hunting grounds. We’re coming up on the heart of the territory, where we intend to hold meetings. The rendezvous site is ahead as well, a little to our left. The falls are past the southern hunting grounds, just beyond the borders. A moonbow is the same thing as a rainbow, only instead of the sun creating it, it’s the moon. It’s very ethereal.

32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
For the past few days, Amaguq had sensed a faint scent of salt in the air. At first he genuinely thought his mind was playing tricks on him, but then he felt it again, faded by the miles it had travelled. Amaguq knew the scent too well not to notice it. The sea!  Amaguq hadn't seen it since he first left home, and its familiarity warmed his heart. Whether it was intentional or not was unknown, but the white wolf found himself distancing himself from the forests surrounding Nimbus Summit and heading north.
He didn't want to cross the swamps again, so he tried to stick to the woods and clearings. Sun Mote Copse was a place he remembered well, having made the mistake of crossing it in the warmer months of summer: he couldn't forget the cloying air and what it had done to his sensitive nose, making it itchy and swollen like a bulb.

In colder months like this, it was easier to cross the region, with most of the flowers gone and the clouds shielding the earth from the sun.
The flowers might be gone, but not the prey. Amaguq could smell the mice, and the rabbits, and the deer, and...

...wolves.

Wolves? He stopped and sniffed the air again. Shit! Yes, wolves!

To hell with it! He was hungry, and his journey around the world wasn't over yet. So he made a pit stop to hunt hares.
Moonspear
Villager
462 Posts
Ooc — Danni
its so pretty

Ajei smiled at the mention of Frolic happy to hear her name. She loved them both. And she imagined she'd like Orca too. But only time and meet ups would tell.

Ajei chuckled a little. Arrluk is not my brother, Chiteo is. Moonwoman says Arrluk is of land and sea this is why he looks as if he is orca. But my mama says Chiteo and i look like her family. It is nice to have family names.

She listened as the mother of seal spoke and she smiled at the different places pointed out. It was so pretty here and clearly a lot of thought had gone into all of this. It was nice and sweet and she so hoped the family could make this a beautiful home. She would make sure to remind Moonwoman to visit. And maybe she and her mother could even visit and help set them up for winter. Her mother was star hunter after all.

Before Ajei could even laugh, a scent froze her. The first noise had dispersed, but Ajei couldn't quite hide the quiver in her nose when a new scent came to them and it wasn't one she knew. Tail slid to her haunches and she blinked rapidly unsure what to say, hoping that Meerkat noticed another too.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Ajei politely corrected her and Meerkat ducked her head in apology before resuming her role of tour guide. It was sort of fun, seeing the copse through the eyes of someone who’d never been here before. It made her appreciate it all the more. She was so glad that she and Njord had chosen this place to be their next and last homestead.

She was so caught up in the sightseeing, she forgot about finding her mother a meal. But when Ajei froze, Meerkat immediately did the same. Suddenly much more alert to their surroundings, she sniffed the air, expecting to catch the scent of prey, perhaps. Instead, it was the smell of a wolf.

Quickly, she stepped between the scent’s origin and the young girl. Meerkat hesitated, wondering how she ought to react. She wasn’t exactly the sort to attack on sight, especially with so tentative a claim. She didn’t want to endanger Ajei or herself. Cautiously, she began to creep forward, preparing to confront the stranger and make him aware that the copse was spoken for.
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
All Amaguq managed to hunt was a mouse, which he managed to trample under his hard pads. He thought about trying again, but the wolfish scent on the wind distracted him.
Strolling boldly through the copse, he soon saw the wolves in the distance. Wolves, he smelled. And in his mind he expected... Well, he didn't quite know what he was expecting. The only thing he knew was that he wasn't expecting this:

A mother and her young. Or so it seemed.
The older wolf was a stockier, larger version of a coyote; the other, a small, red-furred wolf, so graceful and delicate it almost seemed out of place.

He frowned. Such a strong scent, and that was it? His eyes searched for more wolves, but all he found was grass, with a few slender trees sticking out of the damp earth. The older wolf seemed to be expecting to see a ghost, and in a way, perhaps she would: Amaguq was, after all, a white, shaggy, lanky creature with an ugly, scarred face.

A restless, unbound spirit, Amaguq cared little for boundaries and limits. Any obstacle in his path was a challenge to be overcome.
Even if it didn't seem like much. Let's see...

He studied the fawn-colored female intently, fangs creeping out in a grin. He could smell her discomfort. So sweet... 
"Boh!" He barked with a hint of irony. What are you going to do?
Moonspear
Villager
462 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Meerkat blocked her immediately and slowly inched forward. But what came forward drew a soft strangled breath from betwixt lips. 

He was large and rangy. A horrific scar over empty eye socket. Surely if nightmsres came to life he'd be one. 

Oh. she softly uttered, but she felt her hackles rise of their own accord and she kept sharp green eyes on him. She would never do much damage, but Meerkat was here, Lady Towhee and Mr. Njord surely they could be called right.

She thought about calling out, pwrhaps he wasn't as terrifying as his visage looked. Maybe?

But his bark wasn't very nice. So for now maybe just watch.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She thought about whispering for Ajei to stay close, though she glanced backward and saw the young girl was already doing as much. Meerkat offered her a tight-lipped smile and then proceeded with caution.

Apprehension filled her when they came upon a rangy male with shaggy white fur and a missing eye. Reminding herself that she shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, Meerkat opened her mouth to say something when he barked at them. She jolted slightly, blinking.

Hello, she forced out a bit stiffly, still trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, my name is Meerkat. What brings you to the copse today? My mate and I are trying to establish a claim here.

She wondered if he hadn’t noticed the scent markers, in which case they would need to strengthen them immediately. Ajei could help with that, after all, Towhee too. But Meerkat had a bad feeling he’d noticed and simply hadn’t cared, a thought which had her warily shifting her weight.
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
Nothing.

That was the answer. They were no threat, and fighting them would bring him no honour.

Amaguq witnessed a beautiful reverie unfold before his golden eye: a female wolf claiming a flower garden to raise her petite, doe-eyed pup. And she did indeed jolt at his bark, which makes it official:

Amaguq, you really are an ugly bastard!

The white wolf tried to contain himself, but he couldn't help but chuckle. "You're trying, all right. I realised that much." He shrugged, and something in Meerkat's eyes told him that he had just confirmed her suspicions. "I may only have one eye, but I can smell wonderfully, and I hate to tell you, missy, that you may be scraping your paws to the bones of your wrists right now, that for any dog that roams these lands, you still don't own much of anything." He said in a deep, grave voice. "And who's that mate of yours?" His nose twitched. "The coyote that lurks around these parts or a wolf that never really came out of your dreams?" He teased. "I see no one helping you with the task. When a pack claims territory, it's not just marking the land, it's making a statement." His eye widened and his heart tightened, as he realised he had quoted one of his mother's sayings.
Moonspear
Villager
462 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Green Eyes went wide as he spoke and continued to do so and he was as bad as his outer appearance. A disapproving frown marred her pretty face and one ear tilted forward.

She really wanted to tell him to shove off, but that was so ungodly rude. And the fsct that he could possibly hurt them. Though there were two of them and only onw of him and as she had thought. Towhee and Njord could surely be called.

She shifted uneasy and eyed him. The irritation clear in her eyes. But she only looked to Meerkat unsure if her words would make it worse were she to speak
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Something about this stranger’s behavior stirred an old memory. Meerkat’s insides clenched, though she was a lot more concerned about Ajei than herself. Part of her wanted to tell the girl to run, maybe fetch @Njord or her mother. But she knew she needed to be very careful.

As I said, we’re establishing the claim now, Meerkat said levelly, wondering if he took pleasure in being a walking trope. The others are busy in other parts of the territory, she said truthfully.

As far as he knew, they were only a call a way. Meerkat knew her husband would come quickly should she put out a distress call, though what if that prompted this stranger to attack? Men like him were dangerously unpredictable.

I’d like to ask you to leave, as a courtesy to us. There’s plenty of great hunting grounds in the hinterlands. Golden Glade and Cedar Sweep to the south are both teeming with prey. Or there are many freshwater sources if you enjoy fishing.

Meerkat knew his type, thinking again of Santiago. There was a good chance he would continue getting his jollies off by trying to intimidate a woman and a child. If he wouldn’t leave, they would need to flee. Claims and dignity be damned, she would not let her daughter’s friend come into harm today.
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
He had to admit that he hadn't taken her words seriously the first time, but he couldn't deny that there was a new confidence in her words, even if he could smell the fear rising, oozing from every pore of her body. The pup is more spirited.
"Damn." He brushed his right paw across his nose. "You talk like a diplomat. Is that what you are? (...) Maybe the role [as Alpha] suits you..." He said thoughtfully. "But there's a flaw in your pristine speech," he approached Meerkat, looking straight into her eyes, sniffing her and her breath as he tried to find out what kind of thoughts were racing through her mind. " When you dare asking a monster for courtesy. Because that's what you see, isn't it?" Amaguq's eye widened and twitched around Meerkat's body, seemingly confused. Suddenly, he blew gently at her snout and said: "I'm not here to hurt you, or your pup."

"Name's Amaguq. I'm but a lone wanderer with no destination. I came from the Glade, where I have spent countless moons there, trying to recover from this." He lifted his right paw, showing the calcified lump around his wrist. "I was crossing the Copse to avoid the swamps on my way north, and, well... let's just say you have a pretty strong scent for a lady."
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,945 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Men like him loved hearing themselves talk, didn’t they? Meerkat remained very still, not listening to a word he was saying. Instead, she whispered to Ajei to get ready to run, eyes never leaving the stranger as she waited for the right moment.

The instant he took a step toward them—right around the word “speech”—she knew it was now or never. Before he could come more than a single footstep closer, Meerkat gently pushed at the little girl.

Ajei turned and ran, Meerkat close on her heels. If the stranger chased after them, he would have to get through her to get to the young girl. But perhaps she could deter any such pursuit.

Gulping in a breath as they galloped, Meerkat bellowed, RUN, AJEI! FIND NJORD AND TOWHEE!

Ajei’s player asked me to powerplay and skip her this round for cohesion! :)
32 Posts
Ooc — Amaguq
Amaguq became frozen still and aphonic as he watched the two females run off. Meerkat left him speaking alone.
Monster... He gritted his teeth. What did you expect?

Monsters are meant to be left alone.

A shiver ran through his heart, taking him back to a distant memory he didn't relish: the world transfigured into the Arctic lands, and Amaguq became a pup, howling helplessly at the cold gale across the ice sheets gliding through the sea, only to hear his own echo thrown back at him.

Where are you?!
Please, come back! Come back!

His eye blinked once. Then twice. The world blurred, and Amaguq prayed to feel the salt in the wind again. Blindly searching the air for a hint, he sniffed around, choking on the she-wolf's scent. But then the fresh gale brought him what he longed for, and Amaguq ran towards it. Somewhere. Anywhere. Just not there.