Redhawk Caldera falling from high places, falling through lost spaces
run wild. live free. love strong.
321 Posts
Ooc — Riven
Set after the pack activity, before puppies~ Not really sure what to expect in the aftermath of the activity, but I want more threads!

Magpie was still in physical pain, but she wasn't one to sit still— she felt worse the longer she remained inactive, the longer she remained at the edge of the pack's social interactions. As independent as she was, the yearling wasn't really made for isolation. And she certainly wasn't very happy occupying the lowest positions in the pack; the youth had to admit that a big part of her was glad that Peregrine had shown her favor over Dove. What loyalty did she have to the white female, anyway? She was a half-sister, but Magpie knew nothing about her. Whatever familial loyalty had been about to be forged had been squarely stamped out by Peregrine— and now that the yearling's mind had begun to clear, she found a developing conviction.

She would prove to the entire pack that she was better than her pale sister. Peregrine had unknowingly ignited the flame of competition within Magpie, and her sights were suddenly more ambitious than simply earning her place here— she would earn a high place. Earning her trades would be her start, but they wouldn't be the end. It was reckless to push her body beyond its limits without a healer, but her naturalist skills gave her enough rudimentary knowledge of herbs to consume those that would ease her pain. It was likely wiser to pursue that particular skill for the moment— searching and collecting plants that would be useful to a future healer— but Peregrine had emphasized gamekeeping.

Magpie wasn't about to let her injuries keep her from earning the trade as quickly as possible, but it would be foolish to believe she could catch anything of value in her current state. Luckily, tracking and observing were as much a part of the job as actually hunting, though arguably far more boring. She wouldn't love it, but it would suffice until she had healed enough to resume normal activity. Limping away from the caldera's center, Magpie slowly began to make her way towards the territory's elevated western edge.
ALL WELCOME threads are considered fair game to me, even if they are already in progress. My characters will often make one- or two-post cameos; if you'd like me to continue posting, just tag me and/or acknowledge my character!
Messages In This Thread
falling from high places, falling through lost spaces - by OG Magpie - February 21, 2015, 05:28 PM