The Sentinels A new day, brings rejuvination
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
for @Lasher (and @Osprey if you wish!  Unless you want a separate show off thread :D)

Being oh so vague and again with the assumptions lol

They arrived on the coast after a while of travel and came to the forest soon after.  Dante was slightly winded even at their pace, though the sea air soothed it some.  The cold bit down on stilted lungs, an effect of the fire that would likely show itself only in any capacity within the frigid air of winter.  He was unaware and attributed it to age catching up, a thought that brought a sardonic smile as he remembered he and Osprey's conversation earlier.

"Donnelaith," he said quietly, trying out the word again as he gazed out on the impressive forest before him.  He was elated to show it off to Osprey and glad that they had arrived to find Blue Willow unharmed.  Lasher stood near, having met up with them as they arrived.  "All is ready, yes?"  He waved his tail happily, expecting a favorable answer and excited by the prospect.
i was born to the witch boleyn
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
the day was cold and bright with the light reflected off the ocean's surface. lasher came to sidle alongside dante, whom he still regarded as his leader, and would until their move was made official. even after he assumed the title of alpha did taltos suspect he would come to the gunmetal man for advice, for dante had proven himself to be of sound mind and solid logic.

"indeed," he rejoined, breath rising in a plume to be whisked away by the capricious whims of the sea-wind. "blue willow prepared the inner part of the land for us as best as she has been able. all that remains is to transport what we can carry of her herbs and to bring our wolves here."
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante nodded, unsurprised that Blue Willow had done what she could to get the land ready. The healer had taken the move with a lot of grace considering her long-time residence on the Plateau, but likely this place would take some time before it truly felt so much like home. He was worried for her, but also glad she would have a while to settle in. Especially with the news she had found only a short time ago.

"With all the pack to help, it should be an easy task, bringing them."
They would be able to move much of the stocks with everyone pitching in. Luckily everyone who came would (gods willing) be strong and able. They would not need to support or help any in the trip. "We will need to look to the foodstocks first, likely." He said conversationally, thinking aloud. He had no idea what the coastal weather was like come winter, but the icy chill that was on the air made his fur prickle. They would have a hard time if they didn't catch some solid prey in the next month or so.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
he nodded. it would also be necessary to recruit, to gather the loners seaching for a new home. while lasher did not fancy the idea of gathering wolves unto donnelaith that would only depart in the springtime, for their ranks to be full and strong during the time that the pups were due would be a boon indeed. "i scented a herd of elk the last time i was at the coastline," he revealed, stepping into a gait alongside the pewter male. "perhaps they will not move so far inland."

he was struck with the notion that he must visit the sound again, regardless of who had settled there, and inform caiaphas of the lone wolves' intentions to claim the cliffs so close to her own territory, but for now his focus was upon strengthening the foundation of his pack.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"Perhaps," he agreed, moving carefully. As he did so, almost subconsciously, he began to catalog the features of this place with more definition, positioning those important on an internal map that he could keep and reference. If he was to defend this land in the future, he would need to know every stone and tree upon it. This would come with time, but he actively sought to lend that process speed on most occasions.

"Have you ever weathered a coastal winter?" he asked, realizing that he knew little of Lasher's experiences prior to joining the plateau. Swapping life stories wasn't something he did often (if at all), so this wasn't surprising. Yet it led him to wonder if there wasn't more to Lasher's choice of this place than Dante's own opinion - a lovely forest, but mostly indifferent to the ocean's proximity. Perhaps the coast was why the man took such a liking.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"once, in the donnelaith where i was made. born," he corrected hastily with a roguish tilt of his lips. "they are harsh, but that glen was not so deep as this forest. salt-rime will frost the trees facing the shore, but as long as we sequester ourselves further inland, i believe that we will fare well."

worry twisted his brow. "the children are due in the very dead of winter, dante -- i fear for them." the thought was sombering as they pressed on, hunting the prey that would sustain them through the snows.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
So he had dubbed this place with the title of his homeland. The name told of beauty, which shouldn't have surprised him. What else could have birthed such an ethreal male as Taltos? He was suddenly even more curious, but held his questions at bay and knew he would never speak them. He would so rather keep his own past behind him that always he assumed others the same courtesy.

"We will ensure that Blue Willow has all that she needs and more. They will thrive, even in the cold months."
He spoke with conviction. It would be their utmost priority, providing for the future generation. The pups had been conceived at an untimely moment but they would not be lost for it. "Blue Willow is a skilled healer. She will know what she needs to keep them from harm."
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
the donnelaith of the past was veiled in a haze of memories both wondrous and wicked, but if dante questioned, taltos would gladly tell the yarn of his past. yet the argent man did no such thing -- he instead assured the newly-made alpha that the children would be well. "you are right," lasher conceded with a grateful tilt of his lips.

"i am happy that osprey is among us once more," he went on, pausing from time to time to scent the air and earth. "we have been wanting for her presence." he imagined that this applied most closely to dante, but did not wish to assume such things.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He was glad to ease Lasher's worry some, even if words could only do so much.  In action he hoped they would be further alleviated, as when the time came to hunt and prepare, the outlook could be determined with more certainty.  The land had an air of luck to it, though he hesitated to jinx things.  A sense of safety lay upon it.

"We have."  He spoke with muted feeling, warmth and a familiar note of surprise still filling him at mention of her return.  In his experience, those loved and lost were never regained.  Friends, family... neither.  "I had thought her gone for sure, after that fire," he added quietly, thinking back to that awful night.  "She must have some good fate watching out for her."
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
"fate, or spirits," suggested lasher gently, recalling how such sprites had tended the land of donnelaith. "whatever her guardians, i am grateful that she has returned unto us. perhaps blue willow will be able to ease the caustic nature of whatever affected her vision," the man went on, for he too had seen the new opacity to osprey's eyes.

the faint snap of a twig brought the man to bear sharply -- his nostrils flared to take in the scent, and as the fragrance of a cunning beast was given him, the druid relaxed. "fox," he muttered, though he was certain dante knew this already. "we should drive it out, away from the new caches," he added, beginning a swinging lope in the direction of the hidden vulpine.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He hoped that Lasher was right, though Osprey no longer seemed terribly affected by her vision.  At least she wasn't blind, though he did mourn the circumstance that led to it. Chance had dealt a heavy blow, but all they could do was move forward. She was alive - it was enough.

The snap brought Dante round as well, and he growled softly. That they would. The wily creatures were pests for sure and they could not afford to allow such a thief in their midst. The fun of the chase was not a bad idea either, and he cast a small smile as he began to run alongside, muzzle low and intent on following. The creature might lead them on quite the route in attempts to shake them from it's trail, but if they were persistent they would hopefully catch on regardless.
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
evenly matched, the wolves of earth and silver gave chase. the undergrowth suddenly thinned, revealing not one but two foxes, pale-furred and argent. the small animals seemed to freeze momentarily before whirling with graceful flutters of their twinned plumes and leaping ahead of the larger canines' pursuit.

lasher had no intention of killing either fox -- merely, he snapped his teeth in warning. the druid managed to strike out with a forepaw quickly, causing one vulpine to collapse over his extended leg into the cold earth. muzzle descended to snarl loudly, but he did not slash the fox.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Normally Dante would have no qualms about dispatching a fox to prevent theft, but Lasher had said to drive out, so he sensed the restraint and would show similar. Perhaps it would be bad luck to toast their new claim with the blood of slain locals. Even if they were of a different canine variety.

A slower creature than his fleet fox, Dante knew he would tire more quickly trying to keep up, so he sought to make it count. Snapping and snarling, he worked to make the point known before he fell behind - back here lies only death, so move on. The sly creature would hopefully get the message loud and clear, for he could feel his breath shortening as he fought to keep up.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
their hopes of thievery soon dashed into jagged terror, the foxes fled swiftly, and were soon removed across the borders at a great speed. lasher drew up, sides heaving with the exertion of their run. in times past, in youth, he could have run for quite a time longer without being winded, but age coupled with the old injury tolled him, and he turned a self-deprecating smile to dante. "the foxes are blessed indeed that i am so geriatric!" he exclaimed, pretending to shake a trembling forepaw in the direction of the retreating pair.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Now heaving, he fell to a grateful slow as Lasher did, fighting to catch his breath. He hadn't winded himself like that in a while, but perhaps pack life with little travel was softening his constitution.

"And I so heavy-footed," he replied, a note of breathless laughter behind his own deprication. "Hopefully they got the message. If not, perhaps it will give the kids something to chase." Let them use some of that abundant energy productively. Likely they'd get a kick out of the assignment.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
he too was growing soft, but it was the softness of a well-fed man, one who had little to worry over beyond the protection of his pack. it would end soon enough, lasher suspected, as they would weather the harsh storms of winterlash and the breath of the ocean. "indeed. casmir seems rather bored as of late," he commented, drawing to a slower pace alongside his friend. "perhaps i shall send him on a mission, to seek out alliances." 

"what is your opinion upon alliances, dante?" lasher asked next, turning his eyes upon the silverfurred male.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
ooh hey, I might get to use this towards advisor now ;D

At the mention of forming alliances, Dante's ears flicked, but he did not speak.  He knew his own thoughts on such things, for they hadn't change from his first days as Alpha when Peregrine had spoken of such between Redhawk and the Plateau.  Even with their differences, the refusal hadn't been personal - it had been policy.

But now was Lasher's time, and Dante didn't feel the subject important enough to throw his opinion in should Lasher not want it.  While they roamed their future land, Lasher was king, not he.  But he asked soon after, and invited, Dante would give him honesty.

"I have never seen much point in alliances.  And I would not like us to compromise our pack for the sake of another's.  We should look to our own."  He had kept that philosophy even when Saena had felt threatened - though he had offered to assist personally, he had made it clear the pack had no alliance and therefore no call to follow should they not wish. "But I also think that you need to do what feels right."  He smiled, giving Lasher a friendly, deferential touch on the jaw.  "Perhaps the laws here are different, with so many packs gathered.  And perhaps we have been too long isolated.". He had no qualms about Lasher's judgement, though he was gratified to have been asked.  His thoughts were always free to the new king upon request.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
lasher was consoled by dante's honesty. he himself held foolish and grandiose ideas of great and lasting alliances between neighboring packs, and he knew them to be so for he had seen the cold and vicious behavior of wolves strained by wintertime starvation. "i would like an alliance with the wolves upon the coast," he admitted, "but only because i have a fondness for their leader." his teeth flashed in a grin that told dante he was not so stupid as to seek a tie on the basis of his lust. he would also move to mend things between the pack of saena and himself, but he wisely did not suggest that to dante. a new king he may be, but taltos was not the sort to criticize the policies of the former ruler, and especially not unto the gunmetal man's very face.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante knew nothing of the wolves on the coast, having never met them before.  He now knew that Lasher wasn't speaking of Stavanger, though, as he had discovered them to be moved from the sands now.  There must be another coastal pack elsewhere, one that Dante hadn't encountered.  He was mostly indifferent to the matter, though a part of him balked at it.  It was definitely not as he would do, but he had already stated that, so didn't feel it necessary to reiterate the feeling.  "If it's what you thought best, then I'm sure it would serve to our advantage."  He said instead, with a small smile.  He knew Lasher wasn't the type to put favor of an outside individual ahead of his pack, especially not with his family directly affected by it.

editing for a nerd moment... I just realized I got to use future perfect tense in this and for some reason that tickled me.  Reminds me of high school latin days <3
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
i always wanted to take latin

dante deferred, as lasher had thought he might, but the man's silent presumption was correct: no matter the depth of his feeling for the priestess, lasher would not allow such things to be at the expense of donnelaith. so sure of this was he; he gave a small nod to his beta and pressed onward. "what ranks have we need of here? we have healers, outriders, counselors -- what role must be filled?" perhaps between the two of them they could encourage some fleshing of the ranks.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
I miss it sometimes ^^ taught me more about grammar than english ever did, surprisingly

"Hunters."  That particular answer didn't even require any thought.  Dante had dropped the trade formally, and while he would continue to fulfill the role as best he could, they really needed a wolf who could specialize in leading full-scale hunts.  Dante had hunted too long alone and did not have the delegation necessary, he felt, to ensure success on the level that another might.  He took a few more moments to think, wondering if there were any others beside.

Outriders they had, for he knew many to be pursuing.  He and Lasher both held moral and support in Counseling, and they had some protectors.  "More defenders likely wouldn't go amiss either," he added, for they could never have too many in his opinion.  He knew of aspiring healers as well, but not many had shown a difinitive interest in specializing in protection of their packlands.  They all needed to be sharp if they would defend their home if the time came that it was necessary.

There were no others that came immediately to mind.  Though Dante appreciated the diversity of roles here as compared to his own home, he still saw very little point in pushing nature studies or storytelling.  The roles were important, yes... but they were not something of dire necessity in his mind.  Stories and stargazing would do them little good if they could neither feed nor defend themselves.
1,707 Posts
Ooc — ebony
i can see it, for sure :D shall we wrap up here? we need a new one soon!

hunters and defenders. where lasher would have found some reason to include starwatchers or tale-tellers in the needed roles, the beta's definitive logic surged to the fore, and he readily agreed. they needed guardians at donnelaith, or they were at risk of succumbing to either the harshness of winter or the advances of those who sought to take what was theirs. lasher shook his ruff, lowered his fore into a stretch that quickly became a playbow.

glancing mischievously at his silvered counterpart, lasher gave a short bark and darted away, inviting his companion to give chase, if he so dared.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Lasher dropped into a playbow and, though still tired, Dante mirrored it gladly.  Tail playfully swaying, he leapt after Lasher, joining in the chase eagerly and keeping up as best he could.  They would frolic a while before he (or Lasher) grew tired, but the games were a welcome break and the forest a whimsical setting.  It brought a sort of cheer to it and made Dante all the more sure they had found a home in this locale.