Hushed Willows C'mon. Let's do something insane like save the world
A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
All Welcome 
Stark had not gotten used to sleeping in the Crook yet. Being around other wolves - although he was getting better about attaching faces to names and scents now - when he had spent so long ago seemed foreign. But he was trying. After a couple days of scoping the packlands out he decided to pluck himself up and see if anyone wanted to go try and drum up something to eat. It seemed foolish, admittedly, to take too many out and leave Octavia alone with Tambourine when she might need defending (he was paranoid. who knew?) a small little scout / hunting party wouldn't be too much. "Anyone want to go try to fish or something?" He asked, wondering if anyone might hear him and consent to the potential promise of food.
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 3/5
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grave, being the hunter she was, heard the summons at once. She limped her way over to Stark with a smile on her face. Food was always needed, and maybe the two of them could find something worth bringing back. Gnawing hunger had started to bother her, but her weight wasn't going to be a constant much longer. Nova, it seemed, was already slimming down. She'd had to take Tavi herbs to help her milk. Famine was indeed setting in, and now was the time to use what energy the Marauders had to stock prey. 
       "I'll try my luck."
85 Posts
Ooc —
Kunik woke with the sun as she often did, awaking before anyone else in the Crook. Feeling sluggish and groggy she made no move to get to her feet, watching the other sleeping wolves in the throes of dreams. 

Her ears perked as the newest member, a lad named Stark if she recalled correctly, got to his paws before turning back to ask who wished to come with him for a hunt of fish. Fish weren't Kunik's favorite but it was better than the tiny rodents and dead locusts she had been scraping by on.

Grace beat her to the punch, limping over to the male with a smile and easy banter. It caused a grin to come to Kunik's own face, she found Grace a pleasant person to be around. Kunik got up, padding over to the two with a friendly grin. "Sounds like a party. Got room for one more?"
The way of the warrior is resolute acceptance of death. 
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
It didn't take long before Grace pipped up, agreeing to go help him. Already he was formulating a plan - he'd have Grace stay near the shore so she didn't need to move much and he'd try to drive fish towards her. He hadn't asked what happened and he thought it rude to consider it so he was fine to just go on adapting to her situation specifically without specifics. 

The second woman that approached - shit...Kunik? he hoped it was Kunik. Stark offered her an easy smile, nodding to both of them. "Should be good odds with the three of us. Maybe we can bring back enough that everyone might get at least a bite or two." Because anything was better than nothing and if they could land a few fish for the pack that would be even better.
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace smiled at her friend as the brown female joined their group, very oblivious to Starks thoughts. Had she known he was wondering, well, shed easily tell him. The yearling was doing her best to forgive and forget, even those who mauled her. A life of fear isn't really one at all, and the faded female was struggling to not be worried about anything like she usually would. It was hard for her to branch out and not wonder what wasn't out to get her. 
       "Where do you wanna try?"
She limped a step forwards with a smile, hoping he already knew the area. If not, she or even Kunik would have to take the lead.
85 Posts
Ooc —
Kunik's thoughts varied on Grace. She held admiration and respect for the yearling considering what she had gone through, Kunik never asked but she could take a look and see that the wound had been caused by a predator, and what she had overcome by learning to hunt despite it. Kunik tried to treat the girl as a woman due to the fact that she was only one year her senior and already considered an adult. 

The russet woman kept quiet as Grace asked the question for both of them, her good ear turning to listen as her deaf one lay almost flat. It gave her a lopsided look but she didn't particularly care. Waiting for Stark to choose where they were going, she trotted after the small group silently.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
They seemed on board and Stark was excited about that. It gave him a better sense that this pack was a good one, that they were eager to work together and to see each other through. He still wasn't sure how long they had all been left without proper food but he had a feeling it was long enough that the chance to catch a meal was more enticing than waiting it out any longer. 

"I don't know the names around here yet, but, I figure up where that stream starts to head out towards the larger bodies of water - there's a better chance more fish will pool there." He suggested. "There's a couple things we can try - either checking the root systems for the fish that live there or keep one of us still and the other two try and send fish towards them." He laid out his plan, giving each female the option to weigh in on what they also thought might work best. 
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
He seemed pleased at their joining, and Grace couldnt help the smile from spreading across her face. Stark's idea seemed to be a good one, and Grace nodded. She wasn't an amazing fisher, but she knew how. Suppose a famine was as good a time to practice as ever!
    "Sounds like a plan. Do you know the way, or....?"
She trailed off, making it obvious that she would take the lead if need be. Did Kunik know how to fish? The yearling glanced back at the brown female, her tail wagging a little, and her golden eyes seemed to ask the question for her.
85 Posts
Ooc —
Kunik cocked her head as Grace stared at her questioningly, wondering what the yearling wished to ask her. If she had to guess it was about fishing seeing as that was what they were about to do.

"Do either of you know how to fish? I have done so before, I'm not the best but I manage." She chuckled at herself good naturedly, remembering fondly her father's exasperation when teaching her how to catch the slippery creatures.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark licked his maw as the two asked a few simple questions and shook out the bits of dirt that still clung to his coat. "I met Octavia out by the banks of the river, where it started to head towards the shore." He explained. "I was planning on trying up there, it seemed the most logical spot to start but I'm open for ideas." He would appreciate their input given that they had lived there longer than he had. 

To Kunik's question he grinned and nodded. "Yeah, it's a good way to hunt when you're alone." He boasted. "I'm not...amazing, but, between the three of us I bet we can bring back a good bit for everyone." He felt like they'd be able to get this accomplished and help the pack out.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Kunik didn't seem to get the silent question, but instead asked it herself. Suppose that was good enough, huh? She smiled and listened to Stark next, putting in her own opinion afterwards. Stark seemed to already have a plan in mind, and she nodded to show she agreed. 
    "I'm not the best, but I'm good enough to catch some."
So, none of them were very good at this? It would be luck, then, to feed the Marauders tonight: if they ate at all.
85 Posts
Ooc —
From Stark's words it appeared that he was the best fisher in the group, a small blossom of relief that they were not all as inexperienced as she. Kunik sent the male a small smile to show her appreciation of his skills. 

"I would say I'm mediocre at fishing. I know how, I've done so before, but it's not my strong suit. Nay, I'm better with the land creatures." She hoped that wouldn't cause complications, she could still catch fish just not as well as others did.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
With the lack of real experience Stark was going mostly on optimism. They wouldn't have to get very much but they needed to get something and Stark was already prepared to offer his portion to Octavia. For Tambourine's sake he could handle his hunger, he still had a ways to go before he lost the bulk of what he had stored up. 

"Would you ladies like to head out now?" He asked, giving a smile to both of them. [b]"Even if we make it back with two of three fish, we can split it between folks." It was a sad reality that he was excited about such a meager catch, but, anything was better than nothing when they hadn't eaten properly. [/b]

so Kunik is such a fun name! I am so partial - it's actually a letter off from my last name ;D /random mode
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace nodded and waited for him to take the lead, hoping they caught enough to curb their growling bellies. It wasn't so bad yet, though her curvy body was starting to curl TOO close to her hips. They could all stand a little while longer before the famine really set in, before their hunger was too much to bear. For now, they could survive. Mice and locusts had been the yearlings main food supply of late, not including any fish they were ever able to rustle up. It wasn't easy, but the russet female was hardy and used to being hungry. It was the only thing she could thank her father for, being able to survive on meager portions and scraps.
85 Posts
Ooc —
what a weird coincidence :P

Kunik nodded in response, surprisingly eager to fish even if they would have to split the few fish they caught amongst the pack. It was still food and the russet female was losing weight, any food excited her.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
The prospects of going fishing made him excited - hopeful and eager. He nodded, heading off toward the border where they could cross over and catch some fish. "Hopefully this will all pass soon."  He said, looking the lands over. "I bet it was so much prettier all full and green." Not this dark gross mess, everything gone and fallen apart. 

"Does everyone always stay in the Crook, or is that a result of the locusts?"  he asked curiously, blue eyes flickering from the two women as they crossed over the border.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace nodded as she walked, a slight sigh parting her lips. Yes, it was so much prettier in bloom, though even the yearling hadn't seen it in the summertime.
     "Very, actually. Its so peaceful here."
His question confused her slightly. Had Octavia not given him the proper guiding or information when he'd joined? Brows furrowed, though she was still facomg forward, she gave him what he needed to know.
       "Yes, we all sleep in the Crook every night.We marauders are like a great big family, and its actually pretty nice to share a place to bed down and relax."
85 Posts
Ooc —
"Aye, it was beautiful before the swarms destroyed it."  Kunik glanced around the barren forest with a distraught expression. Hopefully it would grow back soon.

"We all sleep in the Crook, though I don't know about how nice it is. I like it but I'm pretty sure Trick snores." The red woman laughed, only teasing about her pack mate though she couldn't really find it in her to like him.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
He was mostly curious if it had always been that way. Sure, Octavia had told him that they all slept there but that didn't mean much more, after all. There was the little spot for Octavia with Tambourine, and Stark always found the space closest to a wall where he could stretch out. The cool helped him sleep more soundly. He tried to ignore everything else, it wasn't so relevant to him. He chuckled when Kunik accused Trick of snoring, he was familiar with the other male but couldn't say if he'd noticed any certain sounds. 

"It's a bit strange, sleeping so close to others after sleeping alone for so long." He admitted quietly. It wasn't necessarily bad but it was definitely unusual. Eventually he would stop being so cautious about it, maybe he would settle down more. Really put roots down. But so far he wasn't unhappy with his choice in the Keep at all.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace didn't much care for small talk at the moment, her ears wilting back as she continued to take in the damage. Eventually on course, it would regrow. How could it not? 
At Starks last comment, however, her faded black ears swiveled towards him. Her gold gaze followed, questioning and friendly; just as much as her tone.
       "You never had a family or pack?"
Of course, some packs didn't nest like this. Some had members find their own den, and others had one big area to sleep. Strange...  In Graces opinion, sleeping together was more beneficial. Warmth, comfort, safety, all good reasons.
85 Posts
Ooc —
Kunik's good ear perked at the comment Stark made offhandly, feeling a twinge of sympathy for the male. Grace questioned him and Kunik remained quiet With a thoughtful expression on her face, waiting to see what he would say.

Kunik had lived with her mother at home, ever the devoted daughter, but once banished from the clan the russet had found herself wandering alone for a long time. She'd gotten used to sleeping alone but found she liked curling up next to her packmates.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark gave a derisive snort - of course he had a family. One he wasn't the closest with anymore, but, yes, he'd had one. "Family, yes, naturally. I left them to forge my own path. Get out of my siblings shadow. That sort of thing." Stark said glumly. He licked his lips as they made their way up to the river, eagerly trotting forward to take a drink and scope out the lifeforms. "So sometimes fish will hide in the weeds." He explained, nodding towards the little cluster - only a few remained in the riverbed, no doubt the left overs and any fish there would be rather small. 

"Other option is we go a little higher up, towards where it meets the shoreline - there might be larger fish there, and we can funnel them towards one of us to maximize our chances." Stark said, waiting for the two females to hear their thoughts and opinions too.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace pinned her ears at the snort, taking a few steps to the side and giving him a confused look. What the fuck? Some people lost family before they knew them, and some like her hated to admit she had one. No need to act like she was stupid for asking. So, instead of replying, they simply kept on. Stark began to speak, but Grace was already scanning the water: she knew what she was doing, she just hadn't had the practice to hone the skills she had. 
Careful to keep her shadow off the water, the dark female began to stalk towards the shore.  Surely there wouold be some bigger, more sustaining prey up there, as the black male had stated. 
       "Who's chasing and who's catching?"
The question was thrown over her shoulder as she went, not making eye contact with either of her companions. Hunting was more important than worrying about what the others were doing at this point, and Grace pressed herself to bring something back for the others.
85 Posts
Ooc —
Kunik's hackles rose slightly at his arrogance, biting back an angered growl as she reminded herself she was not at home. Though she felt protective of the black and red woman, she could not fight her packmates as the clan had. Kunik doubted Grace would even like her stepping in, probably embarassed by Kunik's actions if she did. Instead she turned away, good ear flattening halfway through his self pitying little spiel so as not to hear it. The friendly glow she had for the male shut down promptly and he was placed on the same side as Tavi and Trick in her mind.

"It was your idea, what would you like us to do?" Her tone lacked the warmth from earlier as she addressed the male, moving alongside Grace as it was clear where her alliances lay.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
He was grateful she didn't press the family issue at all, ignoring the spark of irritation in both females. He wasn't so worried about it, he was not so willing to get into his history considering for his part, it was a lot trying to impress his father and a lot of failing to do so. He couldn't make things work on his own so he had left. He'd prove them wrong. If he never bothered to go back home that was. As it stood he was happy enough, he had a few friends here (though fewer now because of his own sore spot than he'd had before.) 

"I'm happy to catch, if it's what you guys would like." He offered. His tone was neutral, if they wanted to hold it against him it wouldn't get to him too much. At least not immediately. Later he'd be more upset - once he was alone, once he had time to process things back. He'd focus instead on the fish, and hope he could find himself something to eat and something for Octavia and Tambourine.