Heron Lake Plateau Because a fire was in my head
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
If only, if only. If only Saena could grip the mud as readily as dry grass. If only the rabbit had stumbled. If only she had never taken that trip out into the hinterlands to familiarize herself with the landscape, things would be very different now. She would've still had a pack to lead, and she wouldn't have lost all her memories and regained only some. But then she would never have been here. Maybe the famine never would've lifted. It was arrogant to blame herself for the famine, but with how much misfortune Saena had faced in her life, it was easy to believe it in a moment of weakness.

But that wasn't the course life had taken, and like the hare, it had gotten away from her. Everything happened for a reason, or so she believed nowadays. So she chuckled at Miraak's mockery and said, "I suppose not." There were many things more interesting than hunting a hare in Saena's books, but the necessity of hunting kept a wolf in motion, if nothing else. To no longer need to hunt would be to grow lazy and slow, and then even the most interesting of things would no longer feel worth any effort.

Saena was curious about what Miraak suggested with his next statement, but before she could ask, another wolf approached, this one wrought in tones of red and beige and gold. She was older and a little stockier than Saena, and likely larger, if they stood shoulder-to-shoulder to compare. She lifted her lips and tilted her head in greeting, but her interest was on Miraak, and she turned back to him to ask, "you have met inhospitable wolves? I lived here once before and remember no such wolves in these parts." If there were hostile wolves about, then that could surely complicate things for her, especially if they were at odds with the Creek pack, assuming they were even still there. She didn't want to think about the other possibility.

Saena also didn't remember how very inhospitable she could be when she led them, nor the reasons for being that way, so naturally she didn't understand the need for anyone else to be that way.
Messages In This Thread
Because a fire was in my head - by Saēna - August 24, 2016, 03:45 PM
RE: Because a fire was in my head - by Miraak - August 24, 2016, 09:59 PM
RE: Because a fire was in my head - by Saēna - August 25, 2016, 03:18 PM
RE: Because a fire was in my head - by Natashe - August 27, 2016, 03:09 PM
RE: Because a fire was in my head - by Miraak - August 27, 2016, 11:26 PM
RE: Because a fire was in my head - by Saēna - August 28, 2016, 09:42 AM
RE: Because a fire was in my head - by Natashe - September 07, 2016, 09:58 PM
RE: Because a fire was in my head - by Miraak - September 11, 2016, 06:03 PM
RE: Because a fire was in my head - by Saēna - September 15, 2016, 07:47 AM