bet you crawled
252 Posts
Ooc —
Her entrance here had been anticlimactic, which was good. Quill had offered herself to the wolves, as she was in need of a home; they were kind enough to allow her entrance. She could have likely made it for another month... but the Forest looked welcoming somehow. Her scouting it out had led to her being intercepted by a leader. She liked them enough to decide to join them. Before setting about her task of becoming an outrider, the female figured she'd make herself useful here first.

Quill kept near the borders. When she happened upon a rabbit warren, the three year old was ecstatic. Task of the hour: take 'em out, and make herself useful by filling up a cache. Then, maybe snack on one. Her tail wagged at the thought. Bigger fare she could wait for... but this, this would be fun for the time.
But in the silence I heard you calling out to me
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
A new scent mingled with the Plateau's today, and Malachi had followed the trail to the pack's eastern edge. The newcomer was easy to track, winding the outskirts, and entwined with Dante's enough to still the worry in the front of his mind. Why he chose to seek the newcomer out was a reason Malachi couldn't give. Perhaps it was the tension he'd felt ever since the fire, or the need to take his mind off something other than his own nagging thoughts.

The scent grew stronger and he lifted his gaze. From a distance, she was nothing remarkable, draped in tawny hues and moving about with an energy he often lacked. She had found something - but what, Malachi couldn't tell. He paused and breathed in deeply. Was it even worth it? The question struck him so quickly he hesitated. But after a beat, he hardened his resolve and approached with his tail swaying at his hocks. Only as he drew near did the scent of rabbit rise to meet him. A warren. He couldn't keep his thoughts from turning to the time he and Danica had chased the birds around the base of Duskfire, when the days had been easy and light. They'd taken the flock by surprise, and a wistful grin tugged at his lips. "Want help?" he asked, hushed, and shot a nod at the warren before returning his eyes to her.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Quill wiggled enthusiastically in place, ready to pounce upon the warren. Her lantern-like eyes were bright and she prepared to pounce. But when she heard another coming near, Quill was distracted by them. Whoever it was (she had yet to meet anyone but the leadership) offered her help... and Quill threw him an appreciative look. "Sure," she responded, keeping quiet herself.

She also tested him, lifting her tail somewhat; she was hardly committed to the task of challenging him for his rank, but, some wolves didn't need to be challenged, only pushed. Some were meant to ascend, others were meant to go wherever the wind blew them. Quill, having been a packs second before, was one who pushed herself. She was easygoing, but Quill had to figure out her place here.
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
His soft grin didn't grow at the woman's welcome, but neither did it fade. He felt invited by the brightness in her eyes, and he rounded to take a position on her opposite side.

It was then he noticed her posture shift - a slight perk to the tail, a push for dominance. Malachi hardly wished for leadership at the Plateau, but the display brought back the memory of his cowardice at Duskfire, when he chose to tuck his tail between his legs when he should have stood tall. Now, with a conscious effort, he raised his tail to stand above hers. He held no aggression in his display, he only meant to give the newcomer the information she sought: his place was not one to take.

But in no way was he set to make her feel unwelcome here. Rather, he was keen to aid in a successful hunt, and he steadied his gaze on her, willing her to make the first move on the warren. This was her find, and in fairness the lead to hunt fell on her.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
jumping in hurr, @Quill idk how you wanted this to go but just gonna hand wave that she left lols

Also sure this happens pre-fight for dante.  Keeping it short for the moment ^^

Dante arrived just as Malachi's current companion departed, and he watched her go with slight consternation.  Then he looked at Malachi.  "Didn't mean to interrupt.  What were you two up to?"  Hopefully it wasn't his intrusion that had chased the other away.  He couldn't see why that would be the case, in any event.
263 Posts
Ooc — Ashur
Thanks for picking this up <3 Should we say this happens before or after our other current thread?

Instead of initiating the hunt, the woman departed, and Malachi tipped his head with a frown. But his mind had no time to be troubled. The sound of another diverted his attention from the retreat of his packmate, and his eyes brightened when he turned his gaze upon Dante. Malachi let the newcomer fall to the recess of his mind, reasoning her leave was merely been due to first day jitters. Though he remained distant from many of the wolves here, the itch to know them grew by the day. His own guilt usually stopped him from pursuing anything deeper than an acquaintance here, but today was a good day, and worry was far from his mind.

Malachi let a grin crawl over his face. "Hunting rabbits," he inclined his head toward the warren, where the welcome scent of prey surged from the ground. "Wanna help?"
Trades
[Image: warden.gif][Image: naturalist.gif] 1/5 | [Image: chronicler.gif] 2/5
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
oh man i'm not sure... after? that might be easiest since I'm pretty sure Dante would have attempted to ask him about it if it was before XD

Malachi seemed pleased to see him and he waved his pleasure back with his tail, happy to be well received.  Happier still at the invitation that came next, for he was pretty hungry and rabbit sounded fantastic.  "Count me in," he responded with a return smile, peering at the warren in question.  "What's the plan?"  He assumed perhaps Malachi had formulated one before his arrival.  If not there was always the trusty old 'throw yourself in and hope for the best' routine.  That was usually a good time.

Whichever they did, it was fun all the same, and Dante thoroughly enjoyed hunting with the man. Hopefully they would do so again in the near future, as the alpha sensed Malachi to be a similar sort to him - one who kept to himself. Respecting that, he still would like to get to know him better, as the subordinate seemed a trustworthy and admirable sort so far.

edit - closing this one off as well ^^ hope that's alright!