Jade Fern Grove i spy with my little eye, something that shouldn't be here
dread the day when dreaming ends
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Random Event 
This is a random event - this is my only post unless someone engages, in which case I'll write filler! Feel free to react in this thread, or in your own threads. :) No posting order, single post are fine.

Deep in the forest, a stone's throw from the drop in the earth that Bazi would christen Whittier's Bowl, was the nose and snout of a wolf. There wasn't much of it left; it poked out of the ground like a stinky, half-rotted little hell vegetable. The teeth in its parted jaws were broken, and someone had already claimed the tongue. There had been efforts to unearth the rest of the remains, but something had put the scavengers off - perhaps it had been resident bear, or the unusually stony ground.

Whoever this was, they hadn't died alone. A second snout, less well preserved than the first, reached for the leaves not a meter away from the first. And another. And a fourth. There, ringed by stone, was a rock garden of dead bodies.

Try one of the following actions and see what happens!
— Dig them up
— Try to sample some of the flesh
you can't wake up, this is not a dream
205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Allure was at an age that she was beginning to need to think of what she wanted to take on in terms of trades. Her parents had firmly stated that each member of the pack must work toward either warden or warrior – but otherwise, she was unsure. Bazi had awoken a desire for her to better learn to art of the hunt.. and yet, there was also something freeing about the thought of an outrider.

That, and it would mean spending less time in the home that had been infested by bears. The bi-toned girl gave a small shiver, her lope pausing as she looked back in the direction of the den she had left earlier in the morning. She had remained close to Swift’s side since the accident, but she needed a few stolen moments alone..

At least, that’s what she thought she wanted. Until the smell wafted to her. Crinkling her white muzzle in disgust, Allure’s eyes shot to the moss-covered floor, peering curiously over the terrain. Dipping her nose down, she trailed closer to the remains, and glancing up, she finally caught sight of it.

“Gross,” she muttered, scowling fully now as she realized what it was she had stumbled upon. Sucking in her breath, as if she could hold it, the girl moved forward to inspect her findings.. knowing she should call for someone else. Macabre interest seemed to pull her forward, and shifting her weight, Allure began to gently pull the dirt away from the decaying bodies, wondering if it was anyone she would recognize.
Are you deranged like me? Are you strange like me?
Lighting matches just to swallow up the flame like me?
Do you call yourself a fucking hurricane like me?
dread the day when dreaming ends
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
They had been buried on their backs - legs folded, snouts all pointing up. There was a faint lemony scent to the area - an unsettling, almost unnatural smell, but it was masked by decay when Allure broke the ground.

They were definitely wolves. Two adults, the rest younger, all being slowly sucked back into the earth. It would be impossible to tell what has killed them, although blood had most certainly been spilled - the soil was dark and rancid with it. A bear attack, maybe? Or a fight? But why bury them like this - was it a warning?
138 Posts
Ooc — Ku
ooohhh me me me i must join

The same scent that drew Allure it also had begun to pull Pasha in as well. It was an unsettling smell like no other and he found himself unfortunately downwind of it. The first tickle of it across his nares was enough to make his eyes water and his stomach roll with unease, but it was a passing fugue when intrigue mounted an attack.

He wound in towards the smell, tracking it down with ease. Pinpointing would have taken much more time, but he had only paced inwards a few minutes before he spied out the two-toned coat of Allure through the turning foliage. Was that smell her? Jesus. "Allure!" he called out, and began to push through the undergrowth. "What did you roll—" and there it was, his voice felled promptly off into a silent abyss the moment his eyes looked ahead of him.

"Oh," became his finishing statement.
[Image: counselor.gif] [Image: warrior.gif]
205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The more she made to undig, the more rancid the air became. As the dead wolves became apparent, she pulled back, her ivory fur stained brown and her lips pulled back in disgust. Her stomach rolled with the smell -- the sight of it nearly pushing her over the edge of upheaving her breakfast.

One ear flickered to the cry of Pasha, and as her brother came along her side, she cast a glare at him. "It's not me," she huffed, though noticed his eyes were now riveted upon her discovery. Jolting her muzzle back, she was about to speak when a greasy maggot slipped out of the decaying nose of one of the wolves. Unable to withhold herself anymore, Allure shifted her face away from her brother and hurled.
138 Posts
Ooc — Ku
It was grotesque. Yet it held just a modicum of morbid fascination for the boy that he didn't respond until he felt Allure shift away from him and heave up her last meal. Disengaged from the sight, his head turned to look after her briefly. Then almost immediately after, his interest had gone back to the pocket of decay.

"What is it with this place," he murmured, for once perhaps a little bothered in the chain of events that had come about. Bears, death, blood, all of it seemed so sudden. Was this what the world was about? Perhaps those things had been common in their last home too, but he had only been too young to notice it or care. "Should, should we call for mom? Or dad? Someone?" he asked louder, flicking his interest away again to look to his two-toned sister.
205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
As she finished retching up her previous meal, Allure chuffed softly, spitting and rolling in an attempt to get the taste of bile from her mouth. Her eyes would skim back to the sight only briefly before a shudder would course along her spine, threatening to lose the rest of her guts.

Pasha was indifferent to the sight -- or fascinated, she could not tell. "Call Kaskara," she suggested then, knowing their parents were likely busy with Swift. Their aunt would be swift on the scene.. and while she would have tipped her muzzle up to do it herself, Allure felt another wave of nausea roil from her, and she began to gag.
138 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Allure had an answer waiting in the rings and a decisive but halted retch to follow. This time, he almost felt the inclination to gag himself, if only because she was far from silent about it. Instead he turned away from both her and the grisly scene, trying to recall from where he had scented their aunt last. Hadn't been too long ago, he didn't think, and perhaps most importantly he did not wish to draw attention to it.

So he called for @Kaskara, though it was a low call. Hopefully she was nearby. If not, they'd be back to square one and left to pick through options otherwise. As the call dropped off, he turned his head to peer at his sister once again. "Are you gonna be okay?" His ears slicked back; the concern was genuine.

Shlooo, if you've got the time, anyway. ;)
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Kaskara hadn't seen anything amiss, but apparently their home was a graveyard. Not that Kas knew that at the moment, but it was true. She was wandering the border as she was wont to do, pausing occasionally to strengthen the scent markers before moving on. It was during one of her squatting moments when Pasha's howl rose up for her. She finished marking the area, made sure it smelled adequately, then set off at a trot toward the source of his howl.

The stench of rotting flesh and vomit hit her nose far before the sight of her family did. She fought the urge to retch, willing her stomach to remember the gorge of the battlefield and the steely resolve she was required to have then. She couldn't resist wrinkling her nose, however, as she stopped by Pasha's side. "Allure, move away," she suggested softly, hoping some distance would settle her stomach. "Who found them?" Her gaze took in the figures lying face-up in their graves, random body parts sticking out of the ground.
205 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Pasha asked her about her well-being, and with another roll of her stomach, Allure all but grimaced back at her brother. “It’s too gross,” she decided, her eyes sweeping away from the general direction of her findings, as if that would make them go away. “First the bears and Swift, now this..” She trailed off, her aunt loping up to them.

Instructed to move further away, the bi-toned girl obliged her aunt with gratitude. She slunk further away, pushing her muzzle down to wipe it in the grass and inhale the fresh and subtle scent of that.. rather than the putrid smell of rotten flesh. “I did,” she muttered, finding herself desiring nothing more than a good drink at the stream.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Posting to wrap things up.

Kaskara wasn't sure what happened here, but she wanted to get the kids as far form it as possible. She ushered them away, toward the safety of their den, and on the way stopped to allow Allure a drink of the cool, pure water of the stream. Then they continued to their rendezvous site, where she quietly told Bazi and Scimitar about the dead bodies. What on earth had happened there? That night, she went back to the clearing, intending to study them further, but ended up scattering more dirt on them in an attempt to bury them more fully. This was not a good omen for this pack.