Witch's Marsh No Room in Frame
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
All Welcome 
For @Haven

The ailment that had plagued Reek for the past week had come and gone, leaving only a persistent cough in it's wake. It was a final straggler, refusing to let go of his respiratory system without a proper fight. It may have been an inconvenience, but he felt far better than he had before. He had his traveling legs again. No longer did they wobble beneath his meager frame. It was time to move once more, and though he was a homebody, the outside world called his name. He set out in the morning and traveled south— content to see the world, once again, slowly pass him by.

He ventured into the marshlands with a goal in mind. The ruined garden Citali left behind was his inheritance. A fools errand this close to winter, but Reek intended in filling it in full before the first frost. Murk and muck caked around his ankles as he carefully pushed through the marsh and hopefully toward something he could transplant.
Why sit still when there's a world out there?
181 Posts
Ooc — Zoe
Haven had never been to the Witch's Marsh before. She'd almost been to every territory in Rising Sun Valley. That was her goal. It also gave her something fun to do, escaping her thoughts of her pack. The pack was breaking up. Disbanding! And it was almost winter as well. She'd thought many times about going with Sebastian. Would he let her? The thoughts of the future were all so obnoxious, plaguing her thoughts with aggravation. Exploring was a nice get away from the stress.

She tromped through the mud, her usually clean and silky paws now covered in dark brown slime. Suddenly she thought she heard something. Another wolf perhaps, sloshing their way through the mud. She paused to listen, and definitely heard the sound of someone making their way through the marsh. They seemed pretty close by as far as she could tell. She couldn't have possibly smelled another wolf scent earlier, the overpowering smell of guck and slime was strong. But now that she knew someone was nearby, she could vaguely smell a wolf scent wafting through the air.

The grey and white, but now dirty, female made her way towards the sound and came to see a black male wolf up ahead. She chuffed, keeping her distance from the man, but her intrigue lead her forwards. She was a curious young wolf and was always excited to meet someone new.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
He was locked in concentration. The terrain required a certain level of focus to traverse. The difficulty though did not deter him from his path. In the marshlands grew plants that couldn't be found in the maplewood. Reek hadn't stopped to think that if they only grew in the swamp, it would be a fools errand to replant it back home. Though the proximity was close, the environment was vastly different.

Though his illness had passed, his senses remained dull to the world around him. He never noticed the approach of a wolf out of eyeshot. She chuffed and Reek, being startled, nearly jumped forward with abandon. He lost his footing in the quagmire and found himself submerged, face first, in the muck and the mud with a cool, wet, flop. He scrambled back to his feet and pulled his head from the muck. He shook his pelt, but the damage had been done— he was filthy.

"Fuck," he whispered. Composing himself, he craned his neck around to catch the wolf who had approached him. If he could flush with embarrassment, he would have. Mortification and embarrassment gripped him. "Uh," he mumbled. "Sup?"
181 Posts
Ooc — Zoe
Haven watched as the black male seemed to be startled by her bark and lost his footing. Haven failed to stifle her laughter, as she couldn't help it. Oh, my god! She thought as she laughed, she hadn't realized before that she was so stealthy. She bounded forwards towards him, her face still cracking with a smile. The male stood straighter, composing himself and greeted her with an embarrassed 'sup'. Yo. She replied with a grin, not meaning to be rude or anything of the sort.

Sorry about that, you didn't seem to prepared for that. The Grove wolf chuffed, a small laugh bubbled around in her throat as the picture of the male crashing into the mud revisited her mind. I'm Haven, nice to meet you. She dipped her head respectfully, looking over the mal. He seemed sort of lanky, but strong none the less. He smelled of other wolves, so she figured he was from a pack. Seeing as she didn't know his rank, she decided that going ahead and being submissive seemed the smartest way to go. For all she knew she might've just been laughing at the alpha!

Lol xD
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Despite Reek's best attempts at ridding himself of the mud that clung to his pelt, it still stuck to his body in thick, dirty clumps.  Not an inch was spared from it's earthly cover.  She responded in the expected way; laugher. Reek didn't hold it against her. In fact, he found her chortles infectious, and soon he found himself laughing along with her. The only clean part of his body was flashed in a wide and happy grin.

He held his body in a loose manner— not one that was suggesting of his status.  He had no authority in the wetlands. Here, he was just another wolf.  Part of him liked that better as there were no obligations, no one to disappoint, just himself and the open world around him.  

"Oh, it's fine," he reassured. "I'm Reek." He paused for a moment and smelled the stranger. Her scent was familiar— he briefly recalled Bazi and Scimitar, the Maplewood's closest allies. "You're with the grove aren't you?" he asked with a chipper quality to his voice. "It's been so long. How are Bazi and Scim. Their kids?"
181 Posts
Ooc — Zoe
Haven sighed sarcastically and chuckled, Oh thank goodness! I was really worried for a second. She was only joking around. She sat down, pulling her tail around to rest on her front paws so as not to get them too muddy. The male introduced himself as Reek. Haven thought it an odd name, it seemed sad to be called Reek. But of course she wouldn't say that, he might take it the wrong way. Reek took a second to analyze her scent and concluded she was from the Grove. Haven was surprised that he knew of them, but then why should she be? It only made sense that other packs should know of each other.

She smiled with a nod, Yeah I'm from the Grove pack. At his next question she stuttered, for she couldn't really answer. She knew that Bazi and Scimitar were having relationship troubles, and the pack might be breaking apart. But was that something to tell a stranger? For all she knew he could be an enemy of the pack trying to get information from her. She decided on the best answer, They're all fine. The little ones aren't really little anymore though. Their pretty big! 

Haven wanted to know more about this Reek guy. Where did he come from? Why was he here? How did he know Bazi and Scim? So where do you come from? Are you from a pack? I'm assuming you are from a pack but just asking. She asked politely, looking at the muddy male inquisitively.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Hearing the news, Reek let out a sigh of relief. The last time he had seen the wolves of what used to be Nova Peak they were lowly refugees, much like Reek and Saena had been not too long ago. Believing that they had finally found some peace and quite, Reek grinned. However in reality, their move had been less than idilic and peaceful, but Reek was content to remain blissfully ignorant of the hardships they faced.  

"That's great! He replied, tail wagging happily behind him. "It's been a while since I've seen them, but I'm glad things are finally working out. That family deserves some peace for once." They were the closest allies to the maplewood, and Reek wished only for the best for them. Losing them would be a great loss in the collective security of the north.

"Yes, I'm from a pack. I lead over the maplewood north of here along with my mate," he answered.  The revelation would more than likely come as a shock as he looked more peasantry than patriarch, but Reek treated it like the detail was non-important.  "Our packs used to be very close. We haven't had much contact recently though." He had his own worries to occupy his time with, diplomatic runs to the south took the back seat.
181 Posts
Ooc — Zoe
Haven felt a little bad not telling Reek the truth. He did seem to be a true friend of the Grove pack, but Haven didn't feel comfortable enough yet with telling him of their predicament. Yeah. I'm glad for them. Good for Haven, even though she felt guilt, she was a pretty badass liar, and showed none of her guilt in her words.

Reek's next words surprised her. He definitely didn't seem like the Alpha type, but Haven wouldn't say that. She blushed a little and smiled nervously. She dipped her head again and added, Sorry! I didn't realize I was talking to the alpha! I must've sounded rude. Haven was always taught good manners by her family, and to respect those of a higher rank, even if they were from a different pack. Haven did believe him now, that he said they used to be very close. She almost wanted to tell him the truth, but didn't feel it was right to betray Scim and Bazi.

She instead decided to change the subject. So how are things in the maplewood? Your pack is doing good? She asked, thinking that a more proper subject for acquaintances.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek never truly understood why a wolf would go thought he motions with an alpha of another pack. He held no authority over her. Neither over the place.  Perhaps it was just his eccentric personality that made him weird, but it had always been a source of confusion. "Uh, don't—"  his stammer gave way to a pause, "I mean, you know, you don't have to—"

"Whatever," he concluded.  His confusion was evident. His ears splayed to the side  and his face contorted into a strange expression that even he didn't really understand. Quickly, Reek decided to divert his course and address her question.

"Things are good! Yeah, good! Great!" He exclaimed in an awkward stupor. A more apt word to describe 'things in the maplewood' would be chaotic... or tense. Truthfully, that was why he had taken his post sickness excursion. A quick break from responsibility. But, Reek lied in the same manner Haven had— to save face.
181 Posts
Ooc — Zoe
Reek seemed to stumble around with his words a lot. He definitely didn't seem like the alpha type. But Haven wouldn't judge, anyone could be an alpha. As long as they cared for there pack and made good choices, they were alpha enough. He then addressed her question, his answer was short and sweet and to the point. Haven liked it when questions were answered like that. She hated when people made long drawn out answers to which she lost her attention halfway through.

Well I'm glad of that! I hope winter can prove easy for you. She replied politely, looking around at the muddy swamp. It was an odd place to meet, and what a coincidence. Haven had her reasons for being there, what were Reek's? So why did you come to the marsh? It's not a common place to be. I only came because I expected it to be a quiet place to think. Lot on my mind an' all. Same for you?
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
"Likewise," he responded, rebounding from his awkward word vomit. It was an empty gesture, of course, as she wasn't of his own pack— she wasn't family, but polite conversation commanded such discourse. Truthfully he cared little for the fate of the wolf before him, but she had shown him kindness and Reek felt it fitting to reciprocate in the same manner. He smiled a friendly grin and wished her well.  His body language suggested nothing sinister, nor did he hold malicious intent in his heart. There was only indifference.

His reasoning to come to the marsh had been similar; a necessary break from the stresses of leading a pack.  That, and making a mental catalogue of all the plants that remained with the season.  "I came for a change of scenery," he confessed.  "I've been sick for a while so I figured I'd go on an adventure once I came round— now here I am!"  He dipped his head and shrugged his shoulders forward in an almost playful expression.
181 Posts
Ooc — Zoe
A change of scenery. A nice change he chose too, goo and muck. Haven thought sarcastically, though she really had no reason to be talking. She'd been exploring the marsh the same as him. His sickness did intrigue her though. How sick had he been. The way he spoke it sounded pretty bad. She wanted to ask more into it, but decided that would seem kind of nosey. She chuckled instead, pushing away her thoughts. Yeah I hear you, with winter coming life is just ten times more stressful. It's not the prettiest place, but it's a nice getaway.

The grey and white wolf looked around, not much more to say. She still wanted that peace and quiet, and time to think and she wasn't getting it while sitting and chatting. She decided now would be a nice time to leave. Well it was good meeting you Reek, but I should get going. Thanks for the chat, and enjoy the rest of this beautiful day. She rolled her eyes, in a sarcastic but playful manner. She began to turn away, but then turned back to add, Oh and try not to fall in any more mud piles ok?

Fade here? c:
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Sorry for the long wait on this one! Lets get this archived!

"No more mud for me I think," he replied with a lighthearted chuckle. While his pseudo-vacation had only just begun, he had gotten more than he bargained for in the muck and the grime. The wetlands were to be avoided. And with that, they said their goodbyes and went about their business. He curtly nodded and turned to walk southward.

"It was nice meeting you Haven," he called back as he walked away. "Send the Frostfur's my regards!"