Neverwinter Forest geeeet dunked on!
control
252 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
Possibly @Asterr? Anyone welcome though :) heh.... title is an Undertale reference :P

Every day, things got crazier and crazier.

The mind became clouded with hallucinations.

One may say he was insane.

To that he laughs and says, "No. I can just see the things you cannot."

But alas, he was indeed insane. The dark monsters that danced around him were all a figment of his imagination. He was a lunatic now. Now he spent the days in that little den, not only healing his wounds, but talking to the little demons next to him. They came in all forms to trick him. Sometimes as little as a bug and other times in they took the form of loved ones. Hated ones. If they wanted to be nice, they would take form of Desna and play with him. Or Scarlett so he can cuddle next to her once more. Other times it was Lusa, who would take him away. Or Burke, who would turn his back on him or scold him. Sometimes, they were just those black wisps, who whispered evil things in his ears.

Today was no different. He could feel them surging through his body, whispering hurtful words. You are too easily manipulated, they laughed. You are weak. We can make you stronger. Leo was on his side, looking out at nothing. "How?" he asked. By making you face your fears boy, they hissed. Today they were being hard on him. He hated those days.
”the voices”
A dragon will never bow down
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Sorry about the length. I got a wee bit carried away… x-x”

The time spent in the woods had been the longest she’d spent anywhere since entering Teekon. It was strange, in some ways, the notion of staying anywhere for a long period of time, yet she did not despise it. In fact, she’d grown quite fond of the location, if only because it was where Leo resided. She’d grown attached to the boy while caring for him, not that she hadn’t expected to do so. It was an inevitable fate, a fact she’d recognized early on, and had known from the start that it’d do no good to try and fight what was destined to happen. She felt that she had been meant to meet the child on that fateful day, that she was the one meant to look after him and assist him as he grew. It was a calling, her calling, and something she would not deny. The yearling was fully capable of looking after another even with winter approaching, especially since she was not alone in the caring for him. In the back of her mind, there lied the connection she had to Draco, and she knew his vast knowledge would serve them both well when the time called for it—if the time ever called for it, that is. Thus far, Asterr felt she’d been doing a decent job at caring for another life, and was content with what she had to offer.

Earlier that day, the dragon had set off in search of a meal and to collect some more herbs. Both were becoming more difficult to find as the days grew colder, but she did not worry too much. In the end, she was confident that they would both make it through the months without any major problems, and so she would continue on with those types of thoughts in mind. While out, she’d been able to find some weeds to use for the binding of the boy’s paw, but that was about it. She’d stored them away for the time being, then began the task of tracking down something for the hatchling to eat. The scent of deer could be picked up here and there, but the girl knew she could not bring one down on her own. Even one that was injured would be complicated, and the risks were far too high for her to tempt them. Eventually, she picked up on the scent of a raccoon, though it led her to nothing. Hunting was, at times, rather frustrating, but she did not give up. Before long, her persistence proved to be commendable, as she happened across a bird. It wasn’t overly large, but not a little sparrow, either. It was of moderate size, and appeared to be the least suspecting of her presence—which, in all honesty, wasn’t that surprising with all things considered. From a young age, Asterr had learned how weak the sense of smell for a bird was, and how that could be of great advantage to her.

Lowering herself down among some shrubbery, she kept her ears back and eyes trained on the willow ptarmigan. It appeared to be pecking away at some sort of root, completely unaware of the nearby danger. Seeing an opening, the girl’s lean form lurched forward, jaws parting as she aimed for the neck of the bird. Somehow, it realized what was happening and moved, leaving her with nothing but a mouthful of feathers. Though she’d missed the neck, she had managed to sink her teeth into a wing, and was satisfied by the sound of cracking that rung in her ears. With its ability to fly taken away, the thing tried to take off on foot, but was too slow. Within seconds, Asterr had her jaws clamped around its neck and bit down, ending its life with ease. She let it slip from her mouth and sent out a silent ‘thanks’ to the sky above her, then collected her kill and headed back the way she’d come. On her way, she retrieved the weeds from earlier, then made haste in returning to the site she’d settled in with Leo. Upon her arrival, she could hear a voice from the small den, but didn’t pay it any mind. She’d heard him speak to the air before, and saw nothing wrong with it. In fact, a part of her believed that, perhaps, he was gifted with the connection to a god just as she had been. Though, with no concrete knowledge of his family background, she could not be entirely sure of her reasoning.

Asterr stopped outside the opening and dropped the items she’d returned with before peeking her head into the small space. “Leo, I’ve brought you a meal,” she announced, stepping back from the entrance just as the last word fell from her lips. She was still curious of the boy, and mildly interested to learn about who he spoke to. While a part of her wished to ask him, another part of her felt it might not be her place to do so. Even still, she couldn’t deny her interest, and so she sat down outside the mouth of the den and waited for him to come out. There was a slight urge to assist him in moving, but she refrained from doing so. With each passing day, he grew better, so she knew she would have to start giving him some independence. Not to say she wouldn’t help if asked, of course, because she would without question. “I want to ask you something, but know that you do not need to answer if you do not wish to do so.” With that, she waited, wondering if the boy was even up for hearing what she had on her mind.
You're a mirror with two faces
Two sides, simple as that
Thread titles are from Hyuna’s “How’s This”
control
252 Posts
Ooc —
np :)

With the arrival of Asterr's voice became the departure of the wisps. Like always, they faded into the air, becoming silent and invisible. Quite frankly, Leo was happy to see them gone. Still, it would have been nice to have his questions answered. He had so many questions.

He turned his attention from the nothingness to the figure in the entrance and the smell that came with it. The smell of meat immediately got the boy up and limping to the food. His paw was getting better day by day. The recovery was slow, but still noticeable. Soon enough it would be fully healed and the little wolf would be able to walk normally. He was lucky to have Asterr to help, or else he would end up like his mother had.

When the tips of his paws touched a wing, Leo lay down beside it and started to chew at the meat. He still had his milk teeth, which made the ordeal challenging, but by next month he would loose them. It took effort to tear through the bird, but he managed to get a little meat out. It was enough to make him happy. Leo looked up to the dark colored wolf, trying to say 'thank you' but just couldn't get the words out. Maybe he was still spooked from the little demons. Instead he lowered his head and started to eat.

Grey optics flickered up from the prey and onto the female as she spoke. "It's ok. Ask away," he stated. He didn't mind questions. Well, more or less.
”the voices”
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Asterr remained alert as the boy exited the den, unable to miss the limp in his steps. It’d been awhile since they’d met, but she still couldn’t believe she’d found him in such a terrible condition. For some time, she’d feared what the outcome would be if she was unable to treat him correctly, but luckily things had not taken a turn down that path. She’d come across the hatchling just in time to treat him, and was proud to say she’d done a good job. Still, she did not actually voice anything of the sort, knowing her task had yet to be completed, and that arrogance was a terrible thing to fall victim to. Despite that, she couldn’t help but feel proud of the boy. He’d been strong in spite of what he’d experienced, and had been able to recover from his physical traumas—well, all except for his paw, that is, but that was still a work in progress. One cannot force a bone to mend, after all.

Noticing his struggle with tearing into the bird’s flesh, the yearling moved closer and pulled at the corpse herself. She was able to tear an opening into its body before returning it to Leo, hoping he would have better luck with it that way. It was easy to forget how young he was sometimes, and every time she did she would feel a bit embarrassed. Slowly, but surely, she was getting better at not making that mistake, but every now and again she’d slip up, just as she’d done with the bird. Thankfully the issue with the meal was an easy fix, and something she was more than happy to do. The more she could help, the better she believed things would be. Plus, she wasn’t so sure how much time she had left before he was ready to start hunting with her. That was a day she both dreaded and looked forward too for the same reason. On one hand, it was bound to be interesting assisting him in different methods of hunting, but on the other, she feared him leaving after learning how to care for himself. It was a silly thing to worry over, she knew, but no logic could get through her emotions.

Before she knew it, the O.K. was given to move forward with her question, and to that she smiled. Just a small upturning of her lips, but no less sincere than a full-blown grin. “There are times when I hear you speaking, but when I look, no one is there,” Asterr began, voice calm and smile remaining. She did not view it as a bad thing, but was curious of it. “Who is it you speak to?” Not a trace of negativity could be found within her tone, as she truly saw nothing wrong with the boy speaking to whoever he was. If her suspicions turned out to be true, then it would be a wonderful thing. If not, however… well, she wasn’t so sure what she would think of that, but knew she would still remain at his side. After a brief silence to let the query be processed, she said, “It is perfectly fine if you do not wish to tell me.” Interested or not, she wasn’t about to force Leo into giving up any information he wasn’t comfortable with sharing. “I ask only because I am curious and wonder if, by some strange coincidence, I happened across a child who possesses a connection to a god, just as I do.” The Draconid spoke as if what she was saying was something that would come up in everyday conversations, since it was something she felt at ease with discussing. She was not ashamed of her origins, nor did she detest the link she shared with the Dragon God. It was a wonderful thing, sharing a bond with a god, and something she would most definitely help Leo with managing if that turned out to be the case for him.

"Normal" conversation with Asterr, aha
control
252 Posts
Ooc —
Leo watched gratefully as Asterr tore the bird. From there, it was easy to dine upon the bird. One day, he would be able to tear through meat on his own. He could be more independent. It was a day that was invisible to his eyes, but if he had known, he would be terrified. Leo had barely done anything on his own. One was or another, an adult was there to watch him.

Dead eyes widened as Asterr asked her question. He could feel the hairs on his neck rise. Was it really a good idea to tell her about the black wisps? Would she believe him, or think he was going mad? They had been in the same area as her, so why couldn't she see them? It was just like Xan. He hadn't heard the voices, but he had. Surely someone else could see them?

"Well," he started, "Sometimes there are these... things... that float around me. They look like black fog floating in the air. But it's not fog. They have eyes... or at least, that's what I think. But it's not like our eyes. They are just white. They have no orange, or blue, or grey. They just look oddly white. And they don't have mouths to eat, but they can still speak. And they always talk to me." He paused, noticing he was speaking quickly. "They do weird things. They can take forms of different things. Like my mother, my siblings, even you. Sometimes they are really nice... but... but- they like to scare me a lot."
”the voices”
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Concern washed over her in waves as she noticed the boy’s reaction, momentarily regretting her words. She was meant to keep him safe and comfortable, not frighten or worry him simply because she was curious. Her maw parted, ready to tell him to just forget her query, but she was cut off before even the first syllable could get out. Slowly, she closed her mouth and listened closely, rolling the new bits of information over in her head. While some might think him to be strange, or even completely bonkers, the Draconid did not process the words in such a way. Though logical by nature, her upbringing had done well to engrave certain things into her very essence, and one of those things just happened to be various myths. Tales told by word of mouth, being passed from one land to the next by wandering bodies. Such stories had always managed to find their way to her ears, too, leaving her with a vast knowledge of all that went bump in the night. Such would prove useful to her, then, as the hatchling finished up his explanation.

Asterr gave a nod of her head, acknowledging the younger’s words and showing that she was thinking them over. The world seemed to go silent around them, words having ended between the pair, though it was not made to last forever. “Obake,” she suddenly said, breaking the silence. “When I was younger, my grandmother told me a tale of creatures able to change their shape. They were the spirits of those who’d died, but for some reason, had chosen to return to our world in order to walk among us.” Some were terrible things, dragging others to meet death just as they once had, while others went about their days unaware of their predicament. They could be troublesome tricksters, or quiet observers—it all depended on the type of life they’d previously lived. No matter that, however, the fact that they were not of the living always remained, spooking some and amazing others. “Perhaps something drove them to latch onto you, something about you attracts them…” The girl zoned out for a moment, mind casting itself deep into various thoughts while her eyes roamed over the child’s form. What it was that drew them to him, she couldn’t tell, which bothered her greatly.

Seconds later, the young dragon was snapped back to reality, clearing her throat in the process. “You must not trust them, no matter what shape they may take on. Whatever they say to you, do not believe it. I do not know what they want from you, but I feel it is best we do not find out.” To give in to whatever is was that they desired could only do harm, she was certain of it. “If they try to scare you, call for me immediately. I will keep them away if I am able. They cannot do any physical harm to you no matter the guise they go under, but their words can be just as painful as any injury. Ignore them. Ignore everything they say.” Never had she seen an obake, nor had she heard of someone having not just one, but several connected to them. It was just as new to her as it was frightening to Leo, though she would not admit to that.
control
252 Posts
Ooc —
He listened very closely to what Asterr had to say about his problems. How those creatures were dead sprites that had come back to life. The term 'dead' was never a term that Leo had came across. He couldn't understand it, not truly. Never had he come across a dead body of his own kind. Such a young and naïve mind just couldn't understand. Not at this age.

She told him to ignore. Ignore everything. There words, there presence. But how could he? There was so many of them, all revolving around him. They felt so real when they took shape of another. There audio felt as if the demons were really speaking to him. It wouldn't be an easy task to simply ignore. Yet, he had to get rid of them one way or another. "I c-can try," he muttered.
”the voices”
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
It’s 5am and I have no idea what I’m writing lmao Apologies for any grammatical mistakes and stuff

Stillness filled the air as her words were absorbed, and she did nothing to alter it. Her mouth remained clasped shut and her body unmoving as the information she’d offered was mulled over, having no reason to rush his comprehending of it all. In truth, it wasn’t much, but just enough—she hoped—to give him a hint as to what was going on around him. They were tricky spirits, mischievous little imps who only revealed themselves to the eyes of those they were most interested in. Those they felt they could manipulate, control, and bend to their own devious will. Though her lack of vision when it came to witnessing the deeds of such beings lowered what she could do to help, it did not limit the knowledge she’d already obtained that pertained to them. Sharing it was the only thing she could do to help for the time being, but she hoped that, someday perhaps, she would be gifted the ability to gaze upon the wispy shrews herself. Until that day arrived, however, she would have to make due with words alone, as well as her constant presence.

“You will succeed,” she returned, tone brimming with the purest concentration of encouragement any wolf could ever give. There wasn’t a single doubt in Asterr’s mind, she was positive the boy could surpass the spirits that had insisted on attaching themselves to him. “You are a strong being, especially so for a hatchling,” the girl continued, silvery gaze heartened as she looked to the younger wolf. “I am certain you will be able to ignore them, and possibly even have them leave you alone entirely someday. You are stronger than many of those I’ve met before, Leo.” Logically speaking, he could not currently exhibit the strength of an adult, but she saw potential within him. Despite the wounds that had been inflicted upon his fragile physique, he’d pulled through and survived. While his mind was assaulted and eyes tricked by appearances of entrapping wraiths, he did not falter in the way he behaved or allow for himself to succumb to their wishes. Those things revealed to her that he would continue to grow and evolve, until a marvelous specimen stood in his place.
control
252 Posts
Ooc —
Maybe there was someway. Someway to overcome this somewhat unknown fear. There was a chance, but that was the thing. A chance. A very slim chance to be exact. It would be very challenging to climb up this emotional mountain. His past had scarred him for life. Too much heartbreak and challenges for such a naïve mind. How he wished it was all just a bad dream.

Asterr's reassurance was somewhat comforting, yet confusing. "But... I can barley even p-protect myself. How could I possibly be stronger?" He didn't understand that the mere fact of surviving the odds were a sign of strength. From what he knew he was just a big coward. More of a lover than a fighter.
”the voices”
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Edit; Hey @Leo, wanna wrap this up soon?

The confusion her words were met with was understandable, as well as expected. He was young still, incapable of knowing that there were more ways to show strength than with muscles alone. While she could never quite wrap her head around why majority thought in such a manner, belittling them was out of the question. It was due to a stroke of pure luck that she’d been born where she had, that her family and fellow tribe members valued knowledge above most things. It had allowed for her to grow up with a certain perspective on the world around her, as well as understand that nothing was ever as it might appear. Whether it be words or a concept of what something “should” be, it was all open to be changed and mixed around, as well as tossed away entirely. They did not live in a world of black and white, nor one that could be accurately represented by a two-sided coin. Everything was never ending, every word and motive possessing more than what was presented upfront. Asterr understood this and lived by it, thus allowing her to see the boy for more than what he believed himself to be.

“You do not need brute strength in order to be strong,” the girl crooned, her tone slipping into a fine representation of wisdom far beyond her years. It was something she didn’t notice had happened, as was usually the case whenever she delved into the teachings of her homeland. “Your mind is what gives you strength, Leo. Your determination and will to live, as well. When we first met, you could have allowed yourself to be carried away by death, but you did not.” The memory of that day made her chest tighten with empathy towards the small boy, as well as pride in relation to the young lion before her now. It was clear he had a while longer to go before he was fully healed, physically, but the progress he’d already made was undeniable. At times, she couldn’t believe how well he was faring, though she was happy things had turned out the way they had. “You possess the soul of a true warrior, and I do not doubt that your material self will someday reflect that which is within you.” Someday, perhaps even sooner than she anticipated, he would be an exceptional young man in every way he might desire. That was something the young dragon could assist with, all the while being pleased to do so.

While everything she had said was true, her mind lingered on his earlier statement. He could not protect himself, that had been made clear the day she’d found him, and that was also something she felt obligated to alter. “When you are feeling better, and have grown a bit more, I will teach you how to defend yourself,” Asterr stated, needing not a second longer to think about what words were leaving her maw. “I am not a skilled warrior and will not lie about being one, but my father had made sure to teach my siblings and me how to keep ourselves safe. For you, I will do the same thing, so that you may never have to fear for your life again.” Playing the role of the defender was not as easy as one might think, for it required a great deal of patience and work in order to be labeled a success. The title of an expert did not rest atop her shoulders, but for the time being, she believed the basics would suit him well enough.
control
252 Posts
Ooc —
If you want, you can archive with one last post :)

Asterr was indeed correct. He could have died that day. At the time, Burke and those others seemed to be the only place he could go. But having been literally flung away, he had no chance. Near starving and beaten. Death could have easily took him, but he fought for his life, and soon his companion had come along. But really, he thought, if it wasn't for those dark wisps keeping him awake, he would have given up.

The thought of training to fight enlightened his spirits. It need not matter if it was not a strong-suit. Any sort of training Leo could have was approved. "Thank you Asterr," he replied, "for everything. I'm glad that you care for me." It seemed no one else would, but that didn't bother the boy as much anymore. As long as she was there, he knew he would be loved.
”the voices”
689 Posts
Ooc — Kuro
Thanks for the adorable thread~!

It seemed as if her offer was accepted, though he said nothing of it. It was simply a feeling she'd received upon looking at him, and one she would accept as a fact. It wouldn't be long before he was well enough to start learning, meaning it wasn't long before she would have to accept he was growing older. Even if it would pain her in the future to see her companion age, a promise was a promise, and that was something she would never go back on.

The boy's words caught her a bit off guard, though she regained her composure soon after. What was previously a look of shock morphed into a warm smile, for the yearling was made glad. "You need not thank me, Leo," she returned, her voice barely above a murmur. "I am happy to assist you, and was glad to have found you when I did. We saved one another, you know." Loneliness had been eating away at her before she'd stumbled across the hatchling, which strengthened her belief that it was fate that had brought them together. "I will always care for you, no matter what may happen," she added, the words coming slowly as she put a great deal of emotion into each one. They'd known one another for only a short while, yet already Asterr had grown attached. She could not imagine a life without the younger at her side as she traveled, and couldn't bear the idea of him ever leaving.

Asterr let a comfortable silence settle over them for a few moments, enjoying the visions of what their futures might hold in store for them. There would be much to do, but she did not mind as long as Leo was there with her. Minutes later, she was brought back to the present as a breeze ruffled her coat, reminding her of the chilling weather. After collecting the carcass of the bird, she ushered the hatchling back inside the den and sat the bird down close to him. The girl then settled herself in with her back facing the entrance, blocking the cold air from reaching the inside. As she laid there, she found herself looking forward to the days to come, for they were bound to be filled with wondrous experiences.