The Sentinels High on knowledge but low on wisdom
845 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
All Welcome 
Help Aria begin to earn her healing trade? (: 

It was around noon when the young female emerged once again from the large den that Pearl had shared with her. Aria had spent most of the morning viewing the territory, as she usually did, and scavenging for plants. Perhaps that sounds a bit strange, but the female planned to begin to stock up on healing necessities as she had seen her mentor do in her old pack. So far she'd found some lavender grown around a large tree (hidden from the winter storms in the forest but allowed a decent amount of sunlight to grow), some dandelions growing recklessly under some raised tree roots, and, most recently, she'd managed to acquire a small amount of Celandine. She was quite proud of her collection. 

She stored them in the back of the den for now, and would cover them as soon as she found something to cover it with. She hoped that Pearl wouldn't mind, and would perhaps even be thankful to have some herbs close by. 

Aria was well aware of the lack of herbs available to her during the winter, and was a little worried about keeping her stocks filled. Perhaps she would attempt to grow it in the den... if that was even possible. But she also knew she may have to run it by her den mate, first. 

For now, she wished to break and sunbath a bit, even with the cold temperatures outside. She lay outside the den on a nearby boulder, keeping her ears perked for anyone or anything that may come near.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
I gotchu! Maybe she can give my boy here a bit of advice :)

Ever since the hunt he'd taken it a bit easier, the coughs fading as he refrained from strenuous activity. He still wanted to attribute it to being out of shape, but he felt a bit of fear that it was more than that, and wanted to put that to rest. No. He just needed to work up to his old stamina again. The cold air was harder to breathe regardless and for a body not used to heavy running it was a shock. So this morning, instead of taking a slow walk, he picked up to a swifter trot as he went in search of prey.

He lasted longer than he would have in an outright sprint, but before too long the familiar tightness in his chest had him stopped and heaving with racking coughs. He fought to calm his lungs, trying to subdue them with as deep of breaths as he could manage, unaware of the other wolf nearby.
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
845 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
oooo interesting ;o

The day was silent. No one was making a racket by crunching through the snow and no noisy birds were around cluttering the quiet with their song. It was a shame that it was so soon interupped, as the young girl was almost being lulled to sleep. Aria's head shot up suddenly as  she heard the choking coughs. She looked around, trying to find who was making such a noise. 

Through the trees Aria caught sight of the grayish body of Danre, her Beta. She leapt from the rock, leaping down and trotting over, woofing as she came to alert him of her approach. Her head was lowered, a little worried for him, but she was prepared to help him if he'd let her. "Dante," she barked, somewhat quietly. "Are you choking, or are you sick?" She asked. The female was a bit unaware of what he was doing, perhaps he was literally just choking on something, something she wasn't quite sure how to handle. But if he was simply suffering from an irritated throat and was having a coughing fit, or perhaps was just out of breath, Aria knew she was fully capable of handling it.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He started to try to explain, but stopped right away, forced to wait until the fit had subsided. "I'm alright," he said finally, his voice slightly hoarse from the effort. He took a couple more breaths, the tickle in his throat betraying they would likely strike again in a moment.

"It's just been happening." His tail twitched anxiously, but he shook his head. "Guess that age is getting me." He attempted a light laugh, but his still irritated throat soon turned that into another, less extreme, bout. He politely kept them directed at the ground, shaking with the effort of trying to contain them somewhat.
845 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Old age? Aria questioned, giving the old man a stern glance. Perhaps it really was. She was not yet trained to diagnose all illnesses, but to her he only showed signs of one of the 'coughs'. Perhaps whitecough, this had to have been recent, but then again, it wouldn't have been so sudden and violent, right? 

"I hope you don't mind," the she-wolf murmured, "I was an apprentice to a healer before I came, I only wish to help you."

Once the male had stopped his most recent fit, she lowered her head and placed it just before the side of his neck as a warning before she placed it directly on it. She nosed around a moment, light taps and a bit more forceful, just to see how he would react. She didn't think it was broken and was not checking for any breaks. She was just testing to see how tender the area was. If he were really sick the area would hurt a lot more than if he just had a sore throat.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante held patiently still as she prodded, though the firmer touches irritated his sensitive lining of his throat and almost brought on another round.  He managed to stop it at one or two, and his ears tilted back in irritation.  He wasn't fond of this recent development.

When she'd finished, he looked at her hopefully. "You wouldn't know anything to help the coughing, would you?"  If she was an apprentice healer she might know an herb or two to soothe his throat and let him go about his day in relative peace.  The bouts were slowly growing more frequent and avid, disrupting his hunting habits and some of his sleep.  His energy was a bit lower as a result (he assumed) but other than that he felt alright so far.
845 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
my only experience with medicine making is through the warrior cats series, so if this seems strange or wrong i'm sorry this is all i know (:

When Aria finished, she was pleased that he hadn't truly reacted to the prods. She expected a bit of wincing at the harder ones, but nothing extreme. He seemed to only be having a sore throat, and perhaps something stuck inside irritating, but for that she would have no known way of telling; if that were the case she'd tell him to head to Blue Willow. 

I do, actually. And I have a bit of it in my den, she dipped her head, tail wagging in a slight pride. It doesn't seem that you're sick, she added, then turning and beckoning him to follow. Which is good, just means your throat is sore- but you told me that earlier, she added the last part to let him know that he was right, whether or not he truly cared about being right. She only checked to make sure, if any sicknesses were exposed her their new pack would soon be overtaken, and she refused to let that happen.

When they arrived to her den(which wasn't but a 30 second walk anyway), she ducked in and grabbed some lavender and Celandine. She chewed them, a strange taste creating a strange face, and spat them onto a flat rock that she had picked up. She hadn't had any leaves to wrap them in, so he'd just have to lick them up- hopefully he wouldn't mind. She emerged with the stone in her teeth, setting it at his feet. It's lavender and Celandine, she informed him, Just lick it up, it tastes like shit, but it should help, she chuckled a little, watching him curiously. I don't have any, but I bet Blue Willow would have some honey, that would help the most, she woofed, smiling at him.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante nodded in agreement. It didn't hurt, per say, but it wasn't right either. If she had something he would gladly take it and hope the awful urge would be quieted. He was tired of this.

He followed quietly, not particularly looking forward to medicine but willing to take it. As he took it without complaint, he listened to what it was, wincing slightly at the taste. "You aren't wrong there. But thanks," he said gratefully, clearing his throat after he'd swallowed it down. "I'll have to ask her.". He was still hesitant to go near the den with such new pups, and even the mother he wished to steer clear of. After a moment, he corrected somewhat apologetically. "Actually, if you wouldn't mind, could you maybe ask her? I'd like to steer clear of the pups if possible.". She might not think he was sick, but it wasnt a chance he wanted to take.
845 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
The white female nodded, frowning a little as she watched him eat it. She inwardly wondered if it would help at all. She knew what the herbs did and she knew that they would probably do something but it was all she had the best assumption she could make right now. 

She shook out her fur as she thought, listening to him respond. She was pleased to hear that he would go visit Blue Willow, as the women was far more educated and stocked when it came to herbs. However, her ears perked as Dante brought up an interesting point. Despite her rich jealously of the litter, Aria had forgotten all about the pups. She dipped her head, respecting the males idea and deciding it was probably for the best. She didn't believe he was sick, but she also knew that it was still a possibility. 

Aria's ears flicked back for a moment before she nodded again. "I think that's smart," she woofed, turning and looking around. She glanced to the direction of where she remembered traveling, the warm scent of newborns entering her mind as she thought about it. Not only could she learn something new, but she could find pups! The thought sent excited chills through her body, and the girls tail wagged happily. "I can go ahead and leave now? There is still plenty of daylight," she offered, smiling.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
"That would be great.  I really appreciate it.  Thanks, Aria."  He smiled gratefully, glad to have such a willing and helpful friend in the white wolfess.  She'd made herself quite the valued member of their family already, 

With a soft sigh, he sat down, then lowered his front to a reclining position.  "In the meantime, I may try a nap."  He was tired enough for the prospect to be an attractive one and he would perform better in his hunting after, he felt, if he obliged.  He felt badly, having Aria fetch for him while he rested, but he was stubborn in his desire to stay away from the children until he was at 110%.
845 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
The white girl smiled, her ears perking. She dipped her head respectfully to him, glancing in the direction to where she remembered Blue Willow's den being. "I will seek you out once I get what I need from her," she woofed, her eyes narrowing on the landscape. "It's really no problem," she added, another smile falling across her muzzle. "Perhaps I'll learn something while I'm there." Aria winked playfully to the Beta, and without another word, dipped her head, and set out to find @Blue Willow

tagging for visibility! Aria will fade here and I'll make a new thread with Blue Willow soon. (:
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
sounds good! I'll archive :D

He watched her go, then laid his head down and closed his eyes.  It took a while to relax enough for sleep, his mind racing anxiously along.  He'd rarely been sick in his moderately lengthy time on earth, and never had he caught an illness that so stubbornly refused to leave.  Now that he had sought help, though, he was a bit more at ease.  He could place his trust in the talented healers of their pack.  With that to comfort him, he slipped into a restless nap.