Phoenix Maplewood what would jessica jones do?
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
Ukko straightens out his front legs and the wolf beside him groans in response at being moved.  He casts a sidelong glance to Tavi before rolling away from her side and escaping the small space they shared.  Once he steps out into the cold air, his lungs fell refreshed from the stuffy den.  It chills him, a little but there is no wind to ruffle his fur enough to bother him.  The sun, at least, has just barely risen as he makes his way through a well worn path to begin the day.

The last few days had been quiet for him.  There is less and less time avoiding either of his leaders and, be fault, not avoiding the other pack mates.  He’d make a trip to visit Scarlett, perhaps, but he thinks about the others instead.  Reek has been tending to her, as far as he knows, and he hadn’t seen @Kael since he’d first joined. Ukko hums quietly in his trot toward the border, calling for the other wolf to join him.
My heart connects with everyone on it's own. When they pull, it hurts.
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
He managed to find a place to settle within pack grounds. He expected to be able to sleep well but during the nights he couldn't stop thinking of his old home. Family and friends that he loved to be with were gone. He missed them a lot. To add this his restlessness there is also the future. Could he really keep his promise and be as useful as Ukko and the others would imagine. Could he really meet their expectations?

The morning came quick, he probably got a few hours of sleep but nothing more. Once he figured that it was just no longer time to get some sleep he decided to explore the borders while searching for other members of the pack. As he walked while not hundred percent awake, it wouldn't be surprising if he didn't notice a few things. But on the walk he managed to recognize the wolf who brought him here and so far Esaro could only be very thankful.

He marched directly towards Ukko and tried to get his attention. "Hello there, Ukko." He said as he approached him. Esaro still wasn't fully awake so he wasn't paying attention to his surroundings at all.
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
The wolf that shows up is not the one he calls for but he can’t complain. Seeing Esaro in pack life would be good for him and give him the chance to prove himself. Being close to the border would give Ukko the chance to chase him off if he changes his mind but he hopes his choices aren’t wrong. Just looking at him now, albeit sleeping, he looks better than he had when he first stumbled upon him in the marsh. 

Esaro approaches, stiff in his steps, and Ukko lifts a brow. “Hey,” he says, coming to a stop. Instead of giving the wolf a chance to further wake up, he jerks his head to follow him.

“Wake up, we have work to do,” he tells the drowsy wolf and picks up his pace. He moves along the tree line, rubbing his shoulder and muzzle every few trees to leave his scent behind.  His intention is up ahead to a clear he’s become familiar with. Curved into the territory of his own. The large wolf looks over his shoulder to make sure the other is behind him.

Ukko circles the clearing and stands halfway the other side and waits for the other to figure out his stance.

“Hit me.”
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
It was almost as if Ukko was expecting him to come. The order to follow the beta was sudden and quick that Esaro nearly panicked when he was told there was work to do. Without any questions asked he started to follow. Although he was a lot more awake the only thing that was in his mind was what the work could be. No farther detail were given as they walked but it sure did leave Esaro in a state of worry. What were they going to do? Without any instructions, he watched Ukko spread his scent and simply continued to follow

He was led to a clearing. Esaro looked around and saw nothing of interest. No prey appeared to by nearby but this was the place Ukko decided to stop at. He wasn't able to figure out what was planned. He felt unprepared and in the dark. Was he suppose to figure it out on his own or did Ukko expect Esaro to be aware of a situation? He just didn't know and decided to ask about it, But before he could the beta turned and faced him. His words only confused Esaro.

"What?" He said, failing to understand what was wanted. What exactly did Ukko mean by 'hit me'? Esaro looked at him with confusion in his eyes. He simply didn't understant.
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
Esaro stands on the other end and doesn’t react, and instead looks at him in confusion. Ukko’s eyes narrow and his brows burrow in frustration between his gaze but he bites it back and waits for a sincere what? before he lifts his head once more and adjusts his posture. He remains relaxed and paces a little back and forth in the snow.

“You said you could fight, I want to see what you’ve got,” he explains and lowers his head once more to protect his throat. “Just show me what you can do,” he adds furthermore. The dark wolf doesn’t expect teeth on teeth clashing or bloodshed but instead a little rough housing and tactics. Perhaps Ukko could learn a thing or two from the other wolf or even teach his new pack mate something in return.

Ukko bows, shoulders high, as he steadies himself on the ground with a grin on his face and his tail wagging back and forth, brushing his hocks. Again, Ukko urges: “Hit me.”
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
For Esaro, this was probably the worst morning to wake up to. He understood that he needed to somehow attack Ukko. How? Was the next question. "Um, ok here I go." It was obvious that he was hesitating on his move. He needed to think. What did he need to aim for? The neck as often the target in fights he saw at a younger age so that is were Esaro was going to aim for.

After a few moments Esaro made his move. He simply stepped forward without lowering his head or doing anything defensive. It looked like casual walking. He wasn't even charging in or even jogging. The goal was to force Ukko down right. So All Esaro was going to do was get a grip on the back of the neck and push downwards forcefully once he adds in his paws.

Likely the saddest part of all this was that Esaro didn't expect any sort of counter attack or even movement for that matter. He really believed that Ukko would just stand there and take the hit. Not only that but Ukko had plenty of time to react.
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
Sorry for the delay. :) I hope you don't mind the slight power play. I can change it if not. I also like how awkward this is, lmao.

Esaro steps forward though his movements are awkward and Ukko begins to relax. He lifts his head a little on confusion but eventually the other wolf reaches him and before he feels teeth on the back of his neck, the dark wolf moves and barrels his shoulder into his chest. It doesn’t take a lot of force to knock him back, sending a little snow around on each direction.

“Is this how you fought in your old pack?” he asks once he’s caught his footing and moved a safe distance away from the other should his retaliation but he doubts it. Ukko readjusts how he’s standing, several feet away and safe from his attack. He lowers his head and bares his teeth, grinning to try and entice him forward.
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
first time is always awkward :D

He didn't really understand what happen but he was knocked back and ended up biting his own tongue. He shook his head as he stepped back. "Ow, my tongue." He said out loud. That wasn't really nice of Ukko to surprise attack when he asked to be hit. Esaro was still confused as to what was actually going on. That is until Ukko asked if this was how Esaro fought at home.

In response to Ukko's words Esaro looked down at the ground in front of his opponent. "Um. no." He managed to get his eyes to look into the other's but Esaro's expression made it clear the he was feeling ashamed of himself.

He decided to say the truth right away. "I never really fought before, I never really had to." But Ukko was waiting for Esaro to make another move, except he wasn't going to make one. He stayed in place, not willing to make the move but it was only because he wasn't sure how to make an effective move. Although there was one thing worth noticing, Esaro never thought of running away.
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
Should Ukko have bought him dinner first? ;)

Ukko closes his eyes when Esaro speaks up, ears cupped forward hoping the wolf isn’t about to say what he thinks he’s gonna say. Then the words hit him and he shakes his head, feeling a pull of his lips and a low growl coming from his chest. He’d taken a chance on the wolf to bring him into his home, his first official recruit without a higher approval, and the wolf lies to him. The dark wolf steadies his paws in the snow, clenching his jaws until his teeth grind against one another. 

“So you lied to me?” he asks, pivoting his direction to be face to face with him. He shakes his head and tries to figure out what to do. Could he even do anything he said at all? 

He carefully takes a few steps forward, his gait smooth as he closes the distance. Ukko could attack him and see how instinct kicks in but he keeps himself pulled back. Running him out of the pack without his promise being fulfilled seems like a good idea but he doesn’t want his first recruit to have been a failure and he doesn’t want to go back to Reek or Saena to fix his mistake. No, he can do this. “You better figure it out.”
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
No, Esaro would never lie. Deceiving Ukko wasn't his intention. All he wanted was to stay within a pack because alone he stood no chance. He may have stretched the truth a bit but only because he believed he could do what he said, eventually. But he shouldn't be surprised, He did expect to be tested one day. He had only hoped that he would be a little bit more prepared but Ukko pulled him into a surprise test.

"N-no, I didn't lie." He said stepping away from Ukko as he approached. But what Esaro was doing right now was proving that it was a lie. If he didn't fight now it would be breaking his promise and his word. He didn't know what to do so he wanted to try to explain. "It's just that I.. I only wanted.. I can't.." His mind was in panic and couldn't focus on any valid excuses with Ukko pressuring him.

Even though this was an open area, Esaro felt cornered. He realized that there was no escaping what he had to do. He remembered seeing two wolves fight before. The scene was playing in his mind as if it was telling him to fight in that exact way. "I can.." His determination was building up. While Ukko may not be expecting anything, it was now or never to catch him off guard. Esaro started playing out exactly what he saw before. This time Esaro made his move much quicker than before. He dropped his whole body down then darted forward. The moment he was under Ukko's nose he pushed up with everything. He attempted to get hold of Ukko's neck and lift him up to afterwards toss him to the side in hopes that he would land on his side.
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
Esaro stumbles over his words, trying to make up for what’s happening. He isn’t able to cover his track before Ukko takes a careful step, leaning forward. “You just wanted to use me,” he growls louder this time but before he knows it, he speaks up once more and charges forward. He doesn’t have enough time to steel his footing but he can duck his head out of the way to avoid teeth coming for his throat. Snow flies around him as he stumbles back with the other wolf, rolling into the ground and trying to scramble back a little. 

When he’s able to get back up on all four feet, he lowers his head to hover the snow and a grin forms on his features. He beckons the wolf again, snapping his teeth to click a few times to draw him in. “Is that all you got?” he nearly slurs, pawing at the snow with one leg to entice the other.
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
His attacked didn't go the way he wanted it but the results did toss Ukko back. Esaro only stood there afterwards, He was actually surprised to be able to do that. Being surprised made Esaro miss his chance to keep pressure on Ukko. Now it was like starting over, except this time Ukko was on guard and ready. He didn't know how he was going to effectively attack so he stood there hesitating. He wasn't crazy enough to attack someone more skillful. So he just lowered his head and answered. "Yeah, that's all."

After a little thought, it was possible to say that Esaro did use Ukko to get here. It really was the case. But it was the promise that was suppose to make up for it. With that it should have turned to situation into a trade that benefited both him and Ukko.

Back to the situation at paw he wanted to stop 'fighting'. "All I did was copy what I saw before and that didn't really work like it was suppose to." He said as he was not willing to figure out his own way to attack. Esaro wanted Ukko to understand that he wasn't good at fighting. There was always hope that he could improve but it would take a lot of work.

Think Ukko made a mistake? Maybe Esaro does have talent somewhere or maybe not, it sure isn't fighting :P
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
Nothing else come of the attempt, Esaro backing off and Ukko straightening his back and standing upright. He squares his shoulders when the disappointing words spill from the tawny canine, taking a few deep breaths to keep himself from charging the wolf out of his territory. Standing still instead, he slowly nods his head and looks off to the side to distract himself long enough to gather the askew thoughts swarming his mind.

Uncertain of the exact power he has in the pack pulls him back to look at the wolf, taking a few steps forward to close the distance between them. His lips curl above his teeth and he does not deviate his path. However, Ukko does not speed up and charge and when he’s close enough, he rams his shoulder into the other’s chest as he walks by. 

“No wonder they got rid of you,” he hisses, moving past to leave him behind.
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
Ukko approached but it didn't look like some sort of attack, or maybe it was. Esaro definitely didn't want to fight but Ukko was pulling the strings. He was slightly on guard, expecting some kind of attack but instead the Beta sneaked in a shoulder punch at his chest. Esaro was slightly knocked back but what hurt the most was what came after. Ukko's words stung, awakening Esaro's frustration of his situation and in return, made him angry.

He wasn't the type to go berserk, instead he quickly turned. "Why is fighting so important?! How can there be any reason to kill another wolf?! Fighting wasn't the answer!" This was the main thing that bothered him of what happend with his pack. Surely there were peaceful ways to make everyone happy but it didn't end up that way. His parents lives were taken and for what? There was nothing he could think of. It was a waste of lives. Taking someone's life was selfish.

He calmed his tone. "Even if I did know how to fight as good as any fighter, I still wouldn't be able to take someone's life. Killing another wolf is only wrong. We are all born on this world together, so doesn't that mean we all have to work and stick together?" 

What Esaro really wanted was to know how it all ended up being that way. What pushes wolves to kill one another? No one is born a killer so it has to come from out there, somewhere. Not understanding anything was frustrating. Even if he was trying to be serious, his anger was turning into tears, making his eyes water. He wasn't going to cry but his emotions were hard to hide. He was sad, angry, and frustrated and it was only now that he could express it. These bottled emotions were freed thanks to Ukko. Could he ever imagine what it's like to be so powerless that it was impossible to change an outcome even by a little?
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
Ukko knows the male back but it’s only seconds when Esaro speaks, shouting across the distance the beta crossed. The dark male spins around faster than he thought possible, stirring up the snow beneath his feet. The wolf goes off on some sort of related tangent that still confuses him. How the other had gotten death from what he was trying to do makes him laugh, a curl of his lips while shaking his head as the wolf is clear confused on the entire matter.

“Tell me, Esaro, what are you talking about? When did I even bring up killing someone?” he says, inching closer to the tawny wolf. “Knowing how to fight, how to defend yourself, your home has nothing to do with going out there and killing someone.” 

His head lowers slightly, growling, only to keep his neck protected in case the other lashes out again. His one move had been used up and Ukko prepares for another, angling his nose away from the subordinate. “If someone attacks us, we clearly can’t count on you. That’s why it’s important. You told me you could fight and I was stupid enough to believe you.”

The dark wolf resists the urge to lunge forward and attempt to pin the other, partly wanting to pull Esaro’s instinct out of him kicking and screaming but he doesn’t, instead glaring hard eyed at the other, threatening him to come at him again.
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
Esaro was beginning to hesitate. He wasn't sure if Ukko was understanding what he was saying. In a way that was normal, Esaro started talking about something Ukko was never involved in. The unexpected spar would have never ended up with someone getting killed. If the killing had never happend Esaro would continue to believe fighting was just a rough way to play. Ever since he witness what fighting is really used for he has been trying to rethink on what fighting really was.

"I used to think fighting was the same as playing rough." He admitted "But it's only recently that I discovered it wasn't the case. The way I see it now, fighting is an ending. That means there is something that comes before in order to trigger a fight."

He didn't have a lot of time to get all his reasoning together so he stopped there.

"I never lied to you. When I said I could fight, I meant that if it was the only choice I had I'd do all I can, even if I never learned to fight. I really don't want to see friends and family die again."

The scene played over in his head. Fighting isn't meant to protect, it's meant to kill. Being at peace and living together was always beneficial so having the reason to kill someone had to be strong. In order to have that strong reason to kill it had to be linked to something. The conclusion Esaro had was that if he could kill the reason then maybe fighting would never happen and everyone could be happy and live peacefully.

He did not respond to Ukko's threats. If he didn't have to fight then why would he? "Can't all this be avoided? Is there a way for a wolf to fight another for no reason?" He asked. Ukko was a fighter so he likely had an answer to that. Can fighting exist without reason?
surma suuhun
355 Posts
Ooc —
All Ukko can do is stare at the wolf when he speaks, going around in circles over his words that don’t seem to have any relation to one or the other. He doesn’t note the information about what he considers fighting, what he thinks he’s cable of doing, and then the idiotic plea of can’t we all just get along?

He takes a deep breath and holds it, counts a few seconds before releasing, and then shifts his weight in another attempt to leave. Nothing he says will get through the wolf and with a roll of his eyes, he turns to leave. Silently, he wishes something about Esaro, to prove that not all wolves will listen to words, and if they are attacked, he doubts it’ll be solved with a conversation.  One wolf charged in already and challenged Saena, leaving the loner dead. Words wouldn’t have slowed the loner down.

The beta casts another look behind him at the useless wolf before he disappears, considering his next move. To inform his Alphas or not.

You can post again or archive it. :3
382 Posts
Ooc — LordGir
Ukko didn't say anything, basically turned and left. It's obvious that Esaro ended up being some sort of disappointment. The situation made it appear as if higher ranks are just harder to impress. The lower ranked, the more friendly they are? He can't really confirm that idea without meeting everyone first. If Ukko wasn't satisfied then how could he ever meet the expectations of an Alpha?

Esaro stayed a while thinking to himself. What gave Ukko a reason to want to fight? He could guess whatever answer he wanted but he would never be sure. Although he did face another problem, He couldn't think of any other reason beside wanting to protect something.

Maybe the Beta doubted the fact that fighting can be avoided. So to fix this, all Esaro needed to do was prove that it can be avoided. He figured that the real target is a wolf's reason to fight. To take away the fuel of the fire before it's lighted. Then again is that really possible to do? It looks harder than it sounds. Maybe Ukko preferred to fight because it's simpler that way. Either way Esaro was going to need to do something. His place here in the pack didn't feel very secure.

hmm one more post from me and that's it :P