Silvertip Mountain The ripple effect
uncurbed, unreined, and riderless
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Private 
Mason wanted to talk to his Dad. He had come of age now, and he had a few things he needed to say. He sat quietly at the edge of a stream – one of his favourite places to visit when he needed to rearrange his thoughts. Mason stared down at the liquid which bubbled happily over cold , smooth rocks and grey pebbles. It gurgled gently to him. The stream was large and fast-flowing enough to avoid the freezing touch of winter. Mason carefully dipped his healing paw into the cold water, revelling in the wet feel of its cleansing powers. He had been very careful to keep trapped dirt and other things from staying in the wound too long, and now he was blessed with a scab that seemed to be staying put without cracking. Because it was between his toes, he had struggled to keep it from splitting open at first, but finally he had passed that hurdle. And now he needed to talk to Dad.

As though willing him here with his mind, Mason thought about Fitz’s kind orange eyes. He imagined the grey-white fur until he could almost see his Dad’s face dancing amongst the reflections that patterned the broken surface of the water.

@FitzDutiful
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
FitzDutiful was actively looking for Mason this winter's day. It took him a while to recall the steam that Mason might be at - one of his favourites since childhood back in what FitzDutiful thought of as the 'old side of the mountain'. Since the move, FitzDutiful rarely came to this side, too much history and too much pain. The forests were just beginning to recover with signs of new trees coming through the earth, but still it reminded him of wounds that were less than nine months old.

FitzDutiful hadn't spent much in the way of quality time with his son, he had been a rather shoddy father - or so he though - to both June and Masoon. He hoped to remedy that with the next lot whenever that occurred. It would be Zaria's first season so they didn't know exactly when it would take place. From FitzDutiful's limited experience he expected late February to be the occasion. But before that he wanted to talk to Mason. Now he was 9 months old, and adult full grown, Fitz had a very important question to ask him - one that he had broached with Zaria a long time ago. Now the time was here.

As he came into view, his face aligned with Mason's imaginary vision and he smiled, sitting down along side his eldest, favourite son. "You okay?" he asked, concerned lacing his voice as he saw the scab on his son's foot. He hadn't even known.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Where Fitz saw the damage of his old home, Mason saw the promise of new beginnings in the budding trees and the rivers which were gradually self-cleansing. He loved all of Silvertip, old and new, and it was for this reason that his flightful fancies of leaving to found his own pack had been discarded like a dirty bag almost as soon as they had entered his head. He loved Silvertip like he loved his father and June. Those three things were the only constants in his young life. He had never wanted for a mother, and had perhaps instead allowed the land itself to nurture and protect him alongside FitzDutiful.

Mason was so lost in thought about his father that he did not actually notice the older male sidle up. The images shimmered then meshed together in the stream. It was only when Mason noticed his own reflection smiling that he realised his body had innately registered his father’s scent before his active cognition could catch up. The boy canted his head towards his Dad and directed that smile at the one parent who had stuck around always. Even when Mason was being a little terror, Fitz had never done anything except allow Mason time and show he would always be there when he was needed again. Mason appreciated that more than he had ever told FitzDutiful. June was awesome, and they spent tonnes of time together, but it was Mason who had to look after her. Fitz was the only one who Mason had ever known that he could turn to at any moment; who would always protect and care for him.

With his head on one side and his ear flopped affectionately towards his father’s cheek, Mason responded automatically.  “Yeah Dad.” A swift lick to his father’s chin was presented before Mason caught his Dad actually looking at his paw – it wasn’t a generic question and therefore it deserved a specific reply. “Er… oh that… well, I got sommat stuck in it. And then…” Mason’s orange eyes shadowed over although he was determined to keep looking at his father as he admitted: “Zaria bit it out. An’  then I shouted at her cos she hurt me so much when she did it. An’ then she bit me again on my bum.” The last bit came out all in a rush, in true teen-style. He wasn’t admitting any fault here unless it was absolutely impossible to deny.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
All the drama and threads overlapping XD

Mason answered his question as he explained how Zaria had helped getting something out of his paw before shouting at her and her chastising him. He didn't really know what to say to it so he just went "Oh." before adding "As long as it's okay now." With a big smile that said the past was the past and it didn't matter any more. He was glad they were talking to each other at least. "Do you want me to look at it?" he asked, letting Mason answer either affirmative or negative before continuing.

FitzDutiful hadn't mentioned anything to Zaria since their previous conversation, but Mason was an adult now and Charon had shown him that youngsters could handle this sort of pressure so the time had come. "Mason," he said, his voice saying that something serious was coming up. "You're an adult now and your past experiences have raised you pretty high in the ranks. It was always a dream of mine that you would run this pack and alpha in my 'stead when I became too old." A brief pause before continuing. "I want to know if you want to be the pack beta? It's an important job and you might have to fight the others to prove you deserve it and make them accept you, but I think you can handle it and represent our pack well." He looked at his son, trying not to be too hopeful. Little did he know that his brother would soon be asking for his honour before the week was out.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Mason watched his Dad carefully for a response. Maybe he hadn’t explained it right? Did Dad think it was normal for his son to be bitten (ok, grazed)? Mason didn’t let his emotions show on his face. Instead he let this one slide. Hid Dad really wanted everything to be okay, and Mason would try to give him that. He doubted Zaria could bite her tongue in such a way, but it was Mason who had been hurt by the altercation. If Dad wanted to sweep things under the rug, Mason would let it go… this time.

“Nah… it doesn’t hurt much anymore. I’ve been cleaning it out properly.”
Was now the time to mention his trade? No… he needed more experience yet. His Dad knew he had been practising.

Mason’s eyes had drifted back the stream but now, when his Dad spoke in that serious “we’re not in Kansas anymore” voice, fire-eyes immediately uplifted to look at his Dad. The subject was a complete surprise and shock to him. He had waited for this day for his whole life.

But he was conflicted. On the one hand, he was pleased that he was being considered. After all, Zaria had simply become a leader through mateship – his Dad hadn’t specifically singled her out as a good leader, more as a love interest that got the title extemporaneously. Sorta like a Queen to the King, who had no real power but was still Queen and people had to show her respect.

But did that mean Mason was in the same boat. Maybe he was being considered simply because he was the Son? Wasn’t that what he had wanted though? He had wanted to be Alpha with Fitz, and he had thought he had a good chance of getting it. Now herealised the reason he had hedged his bets high were because of that exact fact – he was the Alpha’s firstborn son. But wouldn’t he rather want this because he actually deserved it.

But then if this was a decision, Mason presumed Zaria had had some sort of input. Perhaps she also agreed he would be a good Beta. She wasn’t the sort to just go along with Fitz. Was she willing to let bygones be bygones? Was it only Mason left petulantly holding the key to his own success, refusing to use it simply because of a childish vendetta?

Mason bit back the words ‘But I was supposed to be Alpha, with you.’ He needed to stop whining. Maybe he was, indeed, a grown man now. His childhood hurts didn’t seem at all important in the face of such a monumentous request. After all, Mason appeared to be thought of as Deputy if Fitz was ever not there. Who knew what Zariathought about that, but if he had to overthrow her to keep this a family pack he would.

He wasn’t too sure about fighting anyone though… he was quite young for that. Especially if it was someone like Uncle Sted. Would he be upset if Mason went above him?

“I…” Mason’s heart was in his mouth, as he thought about the gravity of what this meant. Was he ready? He didn’t feel ready, but the moment was here. If he declined, they couldn’t just keep the place open for him to become ready. He would have to strive to fill the space and grow with it.  Mason looked up into his father’s eyes. “Thank you for believing in me… you and Zaria. I would love to be Beta, but I want to make sure it’s what I really want... forever. I didn’t really expect you to say it, so soon. Do you mind if I take a week to think about it?” Mason’s voice was calm and considered; unusual for him. Hopefully this wouldn’t squander his chances.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
FitzDutiful looked st his son, proud that he was considering his future and acting like the adult he now was. Wit a smile he nodded a big yes, of coursd he told his son in response to the question, Take all the time you need. he didn't state that they'd keep a spot open for him - only because he didn't think Mason would respond well to that. He seemed to be consodering this decision as an adult and FitzDutiful didn't want to make it seem as though it wasn't a big decision. It was.

So instead he turned the conversation to other important things. How are your trades coming along? he had tried to instill the importance of trades in his children since they were young but with the pack not having many skilled members it had made their apprneticeships harder than they had needed to be. Age was also a factor for what they had wanted then might not be what they wanted now. A fond haze looked at Mason as he waited for some word on the situation.

omg phone posts are hard! Please excuse the countless spelling errors are autocorrects that are probably in this post XD
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Hahaha this made me laugh, welcome to my world. Still not got the desktop set up. If any 'B's or 'L's are missing, it's because I have to hammer the keys on the laptop to make them work xD Ps I love Fitz <3

Mason's stomach began to calm when his Dad agreed with his decision. He appeared to think it was sensible. Well that was a relief; perhaps he was really meant for this position like they thought. Mason's smile fluttered back onto his face like a timid butterfly, unsure of itself. Mason quietly advised "I will" and then his orange gaze fixed on his Dad's cheeks as they moved in a way that caused a new topic. Well, new to the air, but it was a topic Mason had been thinking of after all.

They were mind-readers, Dads. Mason allowed himself another smile, but this time it was more confident. "I'm really excited, but I'm making sure I got all the practise I need before I actually ask for it. I spoke with a Caregiver's daughter who gave me some great tips. Steady's been great at taking me out and helpin' me all the time. I love Steady, he's always so patient. You are too, but I mean, you gotta pack to run and he will help me with stuff like goin' out to other packs when I know you need to stay here. I'd like you to take me out and look for herbs again though as I want to go over my understandings again." Tirade over, Mason now outright grinned and wagged his tail. In fact, Mason would certainly be asking Steady his opinion on Mason being a Beta sometime soon. He assumed his Uncle would be happy for him, even though he was being made a leader when Steady was only a normal pack member.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
With a smile he listened as his son talk about his work towards the trades he enjoyed. He listened to the tale of visiting a caregiver from a different pack, or rather a caregiver's daughter which brought a raised eyebrow - though it quickly went away. He wondered if Mason had found someone to help get him over Zaria, finally.

Mason mentioned wanting to go over the herbs again and FitzDutiful felt a moment of shame. Had he not decidated enough time to his son? Had he left him for someone else to raise? Trying to avoid those feelings he nodded, there was no time better than the present. Want to go now? he asked, willing to take a walk down the river and point out the healing herbs along the way - after all it would help his botanist specialty too.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Mason nodded as his Dad agreed to do it now. “Yeah!” He exclaimed, and immediately stood up with a swish of his tail. He stepped out across the frosty bank, unsure of what they would find in such conditions. “So I remember you telling me that more types of herbs grow near to the water, right? So in winter they’re better off, ‘cause then they can still get the water from the stream and under the lake-ice since it doesn’t freeze the whole lot?”

Mason’s knowledge of how roots obtained water was expectant that the roots led all the way underground to the body of water they wished to drink from, however his theory was solid in principle otherwise. He stepped carefully as Dad has always showed him, wary of treading on an important herb as though it were a weed.

“So… how’s Zaria?” He hadn’t seen her since the beating. He didn’t really want to, but he was interested to know if her demeanour had changed. She seemed more feisty recently, from speaking with Steady and his own observations.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
FORGIVE ME FOR I AM NOT WORTHY!

Mason agreed and his father smiled, it would be good practice for them both. As they headed down the water side, Mason talked of things he had learnt previously. "That's right," he said, before realising that he had accidentally agreed to the entire statement, not the first question. "No wait." he quickly backtracked. "They die in winter." A short statement, just a matter of fact, before the details emerged.

"I'm not quite sure why," he carried on; "but it's almost as if they need to have sunlight too. When they're trapped under ice there's no sun and they seem to die. Think about the trees - they always grow up, towards the sun. I imagine herbs want to do the same thing too." He was rambling a little, and stopped. Letting Mason ask a question, if needed.

Eventually the conversation turned to Zaria as FitzDutiful kept an eye out for healing herbs to help his son's trade. "She's odd at the moment. Angry all the time with everyone. I had a meeting with some of the newer females and she came charging in all possessive. Women, you'll never understand them." It occurred to FitzDutiful that ever since mentioning Beta to his son, he was treating him different. Gone was the fragile way of speaking, the father-to-son only demeanour. Now he was talking as though they were near-equals, friends.

"Ah! Here we go!" FitzDutiful spotting some first-aid antiseptic plants hidden away in the nook of a tree, protected from the cold ever so slightly. "Remember these?" he asked.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Mason listened carefully to what his Dad had to say about the plants. He had no real questions to ask – Fitz had explained thoroughly and succinctly. The son smiled and nodded to show he understood.

Zaria was another matter. It appeared neither of them understood her. Whilst Mason was sure his Dad was being somewhat exaggerate in his explanation of her current mood, the boy had also noticed something more exceptionally waspish about his step-mother. Mason had never heard his Dad talk so candidly about his relationship, or feelings about something other than the pack. He would not complain – he was glad his Dad was starting to treat him like an adult. “Maybe she’s upset about something, or she thought they fancied you.” Mason didn’t like to point out how splendidly his Dad had taken Mason’s liking for Zaria (when he finally found out). He had never acted possessive, even when he potentially had a reason to be, so Mason was surprised that Zaria would act jealous when the tables were turned.

Mason turned his nose to the plants and wandered over to have a sniff. “hmm.” Mason attempted to remember what exactly the use of these was. As he did so, he continued their previous conversation: “She should know she’s got nothin’ to worry about…” he murmured thoughtfully, openly suggesting that his Dad was an honest and truthful wolf. He had real memories about the Bindi and Raissa thing, as it had all happened when he was so young and Bindi had since disappeared.

“Is this the one that stops the bad smells gettin’ into wounds?” he supplied with a querying look at his father, orange eyes resting lightly on golden ones.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
Mason suggested everything was just fine and dandy and FitzDutiful didn't contradict. In truth, the whole Bindi-Raissa situation was starting to fade in his memory. The only thing that kept Raissa even slightly alive was Mason and June, but neither of them really caused him to think of Raissa. She had been gone so long and neither of them had had any urgent questions. No, all that existed was the current family and it was all he needed. The thoughts made him wonder how Mason would take being a big brother, but that wasn't a conversation for now. If Zaria ever conceived then he would talk to his son when she began to show - the only time he would know.

For now, it was back to the plants. "Yes," he said gently, smiling as he lowered his head to sniff them. All that was left of the Burdock Root was composted leaf and stalk, but it was enough to see that it would grow well in the summer. There were loads all piled together, and looking up you could see the gap in the trees that allowed sunlight to get through and feed the plants. "You have to wait until summer when all the leaves are bright and green, and when eaten it can help to fight the bad smells. Do you remember how many leaves you need?" he asked, letting his son further his education interactively as well as through the mini lecture that was happening right now.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Happy that he had it right, the young male looked up when his Dad did, and spotted the good conditions of this little sheltered place. Waiting for summer was all well and good but what about during winter.

Mason’s ears drooped when his Dad asked how many he needed. “Er…” he had been a bit younger when they had discussed plants last and a lot had happened since. “It depends on the size of the wolf doesn’t it, Wasn’t it two leaves for… an adult?” he fished carefully for confirmation whilst trying to provide a response. He wasn’t sure he was right though. Clearly he needed to memorise more herblore.

“When they start to grow, should we dry some out and store some then?” Mason added with a wag of his tail, trying to draw the conversation back to him being more on the right track. “Then we will have lots for in case of winter. Actually, when they’re dry the shrivel up don’t they. Do we need to use more if they are dried?”
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
I think we can tie this up?

FitzDutiful nodded at the response. "But two leaves for a big adult; one for a small adult and just half for a puppy." It was important the quantities, but then Mason made a good point. It was worth drying them out and making a stock pile. Ryuu had supposed to be making a stockpile of herbs but FitzDutiful wasn't sure that she ever had. If she had then he didn't know where it was and he supposed it would be good for Mason to make a stockpile.

"That sounds like a good idea, I suggest you keep a stockpile of lots of different herbs." Another question was asked, but FitzDutiful didn't know. The time was past pretending to have all the answers though. "I'm not sure if you would have to use more. I've always used fresh for my first aid. However, it's probably best to err on the side of caution. Give the normal amount and if the effect is not as desired then give a little bit more and keep upping the amount a small bit at a time." He didn't want to think of the guilt that could result of killing a wolf while trying to heal them.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Yes I will archive :D

Mason listened carefully to the doses and resolved to remember them this time. This was something he needed to focus on more, or he risked becoming a useless member of his pack. He was not a good hunter and he had already caused massive rifts in his short life. Although they seemed to be knitting back together, Mason wanted to do something more.

Mason thanked his Dad for his considered, genuine response. They would have to determine how much to use if the scenario occurred. “I’ll make sure I’m careful.” And with that the boy moved them off in the direction of home, ready to snuggle carefully in his den with June.