Silvertip Mountain O brother, where art thou?
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Private 
@FitzDutiful

Steady had been up early that morning, hell bent on catching any more souls that dared to cross their borders without permission. First, it had been that female wolf, then the sly fox. Both had left with their lives and a lesson he hoped they wouldn't soon forget.

Both incidents had left Steady on edge and doing extra patrols. He knew winter was tough on everyone since prey wasn't in abundance, but he'd be damned if he would let anyone steal their food.

While the sun hadn't even come up yet, Steady altered his course to head for the Alpha den. It had been too long since he had some time with his brother, and he needed a heart to heart. He approached the den quietly, not intending to wake either of them, but instead to wait until they awoke naturally. He didn't think Fitz would mind an early wake up call, but Steady had noticed Zaria was a bit more aggressive than usual, and he didn't want to be on the receiving end of that.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
FitzDutiful had been sleeping, but not restfully. Lately his sleep was broken for a reason he couldn't place. Zaria was more aggressive, possessive almost, in a way that was confusing and slightly bewildering. He thought of how she had barged in on his meeting with their new members and hoped that she hadn't undone any of the fenced he had tried to mend. Waking up, once again, he gave up on the sleep that eluded him so much and headed out, casting a wary eye so to not disturb his beloved.

Outside, his brother was there and FitzDutiful went to greet him warmly. Things had gone well between them and he seemed to integrate into their pack just fine too. He hoped Steady was happy here, though he had never found a way to ask him directly. "Morning brother," he said, his tone the only thing that betrayed the tiredness that he felt. He wanted to know what was keeping him awake, it wasn't normal. "Life treating you well?"
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He didn't have to wait long for his brother to emerge from the den. He gave a wag of his tail and nudged Fitz on his shoulder in greeting. He knew he probably should have checked in with him more often than he did, but pack duties and planning trips with Mason kept him rather busy.

When Fitz asked if life was treating him well, Steady nodded. In many ways, he replied. While he didn't have any qualms about opening up to his brother, Steady wasn't quite ready to talk about Scarlett. The news of her attack had been upsetting, but if Steady was honest with himself, he would admit it was the loss of the opportunity for love that had him a bit down. He had been instantly attracted to Scarlett, but he didn't know her well enough to love her yet.

He had decided that his search for love needed a break, but with that came the possibility of another opportunity. I was thinking, if you and Zaria approve, I'd like to take on more responsibility here, he said. I'd really like to work my way to Beta, he added. He wasn't sure if Fitz and Zaria were thinking of having a family, but if they were, it would take some stress off of them to have someone to share responsibility with.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
Shock ran through FitzDutiful as he looked at his brother, the words registering in his mind. The shock was apparent, it was something that he had never considered. Beta was always intended for Mason, but Mason wanted time to think. Mason and his mate, they were the two he planned to give beta to. But why? The reasoning was obvious; Redhawk Caldera had had a mated beta pair and he found the concept admirable, but was that what he wanted? No. He wanted a family pack, a pack where ever the loneliest wolf could become part of a family. A pack that looked out for each other and protected each other. He didn't have to have a mated beta pair, though the idea was nice, he knew Mason and Steady would both respect each other - if Mason accepted the position. If not, Steady and his mate could make a nice beta pair too.

"I love the idea." he said as his eyes shone and his tail wagged from side to side. "I think you've already earned it, you stepped up with Moon Shadow and you've been top of the ranks for a long time now." Him and Chaska swapped regularly but Steady had never dropped lower than that since he had joined. "Do you mind if we call Zaria out and see what she thinks too? It'd be a nice announcement to make together if you're ready for the position now." Realising that he had something else to tell, he decided to do so now. "Though you should know that Mason is considering a beta position too. So it's likely the two of you will be side by side in the endeavour."
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
The shock was evident on FitzDutiful's face, and Steady frowned, his tail going limp. His brother's reaction told him the answer. He didn't know why though. Had he not worked hard enough? Had he not continued to earn his Gamma rank, and in doing so, shown that he may have been a candidate for Beta? Was it because he had been gone with Mason? He didn't think he had been gone too long. Steady spent most days patrolling the borders and keeping intruders out the best he could.

His gaze had dropped while his brain scrambled to understand. He almost hadn't heard what his brother said. He looked up, the surprise now evident on his own face. Fitz was saying yes? His ears perked as a smile formed on his face, his head bobbing up and down in response to Zaria being called. He was confident Zaria wouldn't mind. They had bonded over spars and chasing foxes, and Steady always did his best to respect her, even in her... moody times, which he never spoke of.

Fitz informed him he and Mason may be holding the same position, side by side. Steady hadn't even heard of two males holding the same leadership position, but he held nothing but respect for his nephew. I'd be honored to hold the position next to Mason! His tail wagged in anticipation of Zaria arriving and making this official.

Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
FitzDutiful smiled to see Steady so happy and he immediately called @Zaria out of the den and into the proceedings. She might not be happy about being woken but surely she would see Steady as a good candidate too. "Mason hasn't officially accepted the position yet," he explained to his brother, "He asked to have a week to think it over."

He needed Steady to know he was on his own to begin with, though he wondered if the announcement of Steady being given beta would prompt Mason to accept the offer too. Or would he think he had missed his chance? Neither FitzDutiful nor Steady had grown up in an environment with two beta males, but with respect between the two - as well as a potential mentor relationship too he could only see it going well.
Best thing you will ever see
532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Zaria was curled up in the chamber of her and Fitz. She had been more tried lately maybe also because she was angry all the time. Zaria usually rested with Fitz but now she had her bison skin that kept her warm. The female wolf woke up by a howl from her mate. Zaria lifted her head with a grunt. She unfolded herself from her curled up ball and started to walk into Fitz' direction. The female wasn't in that good of a mood which was clear by the way she was walking.

She arrived moments later with her ears back and her face on thunder. The slender female roamed her eyes over Fitz before they fell on Steady. She raised her head, letting out a soft growl without much reasoning to it. She sat down, not very keen on having anyone close to her right now. "What?," she questioned.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
As soon as Zaria appeared from the den, Steady hunched down, his ears folding on the crown of his head and his tail softly wagging between his rear legs. He remained quiet, his gaze lowered to her chest. He knew she might be cross from being woke up before she was ready, and he didn't want to make the mistake of saying something wrong.

This morning was turning out a lot different than he expected. He had thought he would simply make his plans known, and be on about his way. Now, if Zaria gave her approval, he would be Beta, possibly alongside Mason. It was extremely exciting.

Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
quick post from my phone to keep this moving :D

Zaria was in a mood - yet again - and FitzDutiful noted how Steady lowered himself when she presented herself. He did no such thing, they were equals and he would stomach her moods or give back as good as he got. It all depended on how he felt. Now, he was willing to ignore it. "What do you think of Steady becoming a beta?" no point beating around the bush with it, he might as well cut straight to the chase.

"Mason is still considering whether beta is a burden he wants to bear but I don't see why they both can't take on the responsibility. I just wanted to run it by you before giving our brother dearest here the official welcome." he didn't know things were still rough between Mason and Zaria Else he probably wouldn't have mentioned Mason at all. But it was done now, all FitzDutiful expected was a yes or no from Zaria about Steady taking the reins.
532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Zaria sat down, clearly agitated, but her face lifted a bit of the mention of Steady becoming Beta, if there was one wolf she had to choose then it would be Steady. But hearing the next information about Mason becoming Beta Zaria instantly let out a huff. "Mason is a child with zero skills in leading," she let out with a huff. "If I see him I do not have the feeling that he would keep in charge of the pack while we would be gone," she stated without any care in the world that this might offend her mate.

This was more judged on the fact that Mason usually acted like child around her. Zaria could not take him seriously yet. Steady on the other hand. "I do agree with Steady, but Mason really needs to learn. Last time I saw him he was all offended because I gave him a warning nip in his butt for being out of line. Do you think he would be a wolf that would correct a pack member?," She stated. "Yet if Steady would be Beta together with Mason I would feel better, but if I am really honest here I would not see Mason as a beta. He will have to prove himself to me at least." She could understand that he had a crush on her, or at least before, but he would need to get over that and know how to display the right behavior not only as a leader but as a pack mate.

I let all the drama llamas escape! 8D
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady watched Zaria using his peripheral vision, showing his respect by not meeting her gaze but wanting to gauge her reaction to him becoming Beta. She seemed pleased, at least until Mason was mentioned. While Steady was happy she approved of him, he was sad that they had to discuss Mason.

But, he wasn't sure if he should offer his opinion or not. As a lower ranking wolf, it would be completely out of his ranking. But, as a possible Beta, the Alpha's might consider his opinion a bit more. If I may be so bold, he began. If you're unsure about Mason's capabilities, instead of offering him full Beta status, he could be more of a... protege? Spending more time in leadership rolls with you, Fitz, or myself, could give him a better idea of what it's like, and if that's really something he wants to do. Mason seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, and Steady thought all he needed was a little experience leading.

Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
So full of head cold so rubbish post, just wanted to formalise it all! Yay for Steady and I've requested your PM permissions Mary Ellen :D

Zaria agreed with Steady being beta but that was soured with her response to Mason. He glared at her, they had discussed this a long time ago and it had been decided on. When FitzDutiful decided it was time to give up leadership he always intended Mason to take over. Plus, Mason had been very grown up with wanted to think about the decision for a while. Before FitzDutiful could get his thoughts together enough to mention anything, Steady intervened like a good beta should and offered another case for Mason's future.

"I agree he has a lot to learn. But I told him being beta would be no cake walk. I have already offered it to him like we agreed all those month ago that we would. If he accepts, the beta role is his though he is very aware it means the end of his childhood and a full acceptance of adulthood. Yes, he has to learn stuff but that is what we are here for and part of the reason he is thinking it over, before just accepting - might I add, is because I mentioned there may be those that doubt his abilities."

He was done talking. He needed to cool down, but at least it was a little obvious where Mason had learnt some of his behaviour. "Welcome to the position, brother dearest. Hope you didn't expect it to be easy." With another look at Zaria, softer and full of the love he felt even as he was a little agitated with her, he left. Walking away from the den and down the mountainside.
532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Zaria might have been a bit feisty when voicing her opinion but she wasn't going to change what she said. She was at least pleased that Fitz and Steady weren't blind and that the kid had a few warnings. With that Zaria was pleased enough, so far she could be pleased with anything lately. The slender female did manage to pull a bit of a smile onto her face. "Good job, Steady," she stated which was quite something coming from Zaria, but having a spar with him from time to time it kept her sharp and she was grateful that she had Steady for that.

Zaria nodded shortly before going back the their den to sleep. She was still tired and pretty keen on getting some rest. All this anger was draining her terribly.

I think you can wrap it up and archive Mary Ellen! :D
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
It seemed the two Alphas were at an impasse. Steady had made his suggestion, but Fitz seemed determined to promoted Mason since he and Zaria had already discussed it. That wasn't something Steady could remedy, and so he stayed quiet.

He smiled as his brother welcomed him into the leadership ranks. No, he hadn't expected it to be easy. He realized they wouldn't always see eye-to-eye, but he was hopeful it would all work out in the end. Zaria even gave him a glimmer of a smile, and he returned it.

While the smile plastered on his face, and his tail wagging high, Steady left the area of the den and went to patrol the borders.