Silvertip Mountain So take your fast car and keep on driving
uncurbed, unreined, and riderless
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
All Welcome 
Mason walked through a world of wonder. Snow dribbled from the tree branches, flakes sparkling with magic as they fluttered to the floor. He had spoken to June, his last port of call. He had informed her of the proposition, but he had taken his leave of the pack before he gave her his thoughts and decision. She approved of whatever he did, so he could not really rely on her as a wall to bounce ideas off, but he could also not make any big decision without her silent, approving consent.

Mason debated trundling June along with him for this meeting, wheeling her out to stand beside him and limit any angry backlash he might face from Zaria. But he was an adult now and he had to do this himself.

Mason neared his father’s den – no longer his own since before they had moved to this side of the mountain – and called out to them. He waited in the pale afternoon, fidgeting and heart thumping, but overall standing pretty confidently.

When @FitzDutiful (and @Zaria if she was in there too) appeared, Mason waited at a small distance. He had told his Dad he was going on a little escapade – it had taken him a good few days in all, but he had returned when hunger burned and his muscles were weary.

“I’m ready. I’ve made my decision. Are you ready to hear it?” he anaxcnounced loud and proud, to any wolf, insect or tree in the vicinity. He kept his posture respectful but he had taken on a new stature, reflecting an odd sort of condidence.l
Best thing you will ever see
532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Small PP, about her walking out with Fitz. Hope that is okay!

Zaria was immensely tired. Her scent was still around her, the nice one. All it would do was riling up Fitz. She loved this time anyhow close they were. Zaria liked to be around him, but having him on her back was exhausting. The slender female was happily curled against Fitz on her bison skin when Mason knocked on their front door so to speak. Zaria snapped her head up, feeling tired. The female had scolded Mason about not greeting her properly so now she was forced to greet him properly too, but she rather say in her den and sleep. She looked at Fitz before getting out with him.

Her face looked like she was scowling, but she was mainly tired. A whole wave of her scent drifted around her, and not only that scent but also Fitz his scent was all over her. She was curious for a moment how Mason would react to it, but then the female decided that she was too tired and sat down. "Hi Mason," she mumbled. All the aggression she had displaying before seemed to have vanished, she mostly looked tired and very worn. These next few months were going to be quite the roller coaster for Zaria.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
The smell was intoxicating and whereas Zaria was no longer aggressive, FitzDutiful was possessive. All those pups within her had to be his. If there was any doubt of betrayal he would kill them all, and so he was with her constantly. Mason announced his arrival outside their den and FitzDutiful moved with Zaria, tired from their last session. Wearily, FitzDutiful smiled at Mason, though subconsciously he had positioned himself between Mason and Zaria. Maybe a lot of things had caused that, Zaria and Mason's history, the currently situation or just a wariness that came from him knowing Zaria may not approve any more of Mason being beta. Well tough, he had offered it and Mason could accept. Zaria could get mad at FitzDutiful for that, but not Mason.

"Hello Son," he said with love, allowing a proper greeting before sitting down. "I'm curious to know what your decision is." he said calmly, though inside his innards were in turmoil and nerves wrecked him. What if Mason refused? What if he would rather strike out on his own? It was a scary thing admitting that your children were old enough to make their own decisions.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Mason watched them emerge together, one unit. He kept his face as strong as he could, emotionless. Well, not emotionless, but he tried to keep the twinge of feelings out. Zaria and he had been up and down lately the say the least. At least he and Dad were good. As for Steady... Mason quietly wondered and was quite upset that in the time he had taken to think through the Beta decision, Sted had simply taken the gauntlet. Did they ask Steady if he wanted Mason to be Beta with him? Because they sure didn't ask Mason the other way around.

Mason shifted uncomfortably when a strange scent washed over him. His confidence was shrinking around him like cling-film. Dad positioned himself at an obtuse angle, almost as though he was stopping Zaria from launching herself at his son. Zaria looked grumpy, but not that pissed off. Hmm.

Mason tried to keep his head and when Dad spoke, he smiled again, and shrugged off the discomfort. "Okay, I decided I am sure I do want to be a Beta, if you still want me." Mason looked from his father to his step-mother, ensuring he included her. He had grown up a lot in the past month, and he was trying his hardest to let by-gones be by-gones like Steady had suggested.

"But first I would like to ask why you made Steady a Beta. Was that because I took time to think?" Mason seated himself, asking them in a forthright manner as he was wont to do with his father. No beating around the bush was required. Mason had heard some of it from Steady but he wanted to hear it from them. If they wanted him as a leader, they needed to treat him as one and explain some of the rationale behind their decisions. His expression was not one of hurt, merely a combination of soft confusion and eagerness to understand.
532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Zaria was still pretty groggy and stayed close to Fitz. Yet the male planted himself before her and Mason. Her green eyes peeked over Fitz's back at Mason before resting her head on it. It would probably have looked pretty cute at that moment, but maybe not all participants would think that. Zaria let out a soft snort when Mason spoke more because the boy really needed to prove himself in her eyes. She only agreed to this because Steady offered to take him under his wing. Zaria was not that certain Mason could carry the Beta position yet, but if anything was going to toughen him up it was the Beta position.

Zaria was almost closing her eyes again when Mason asked another question. She blinked her eyes open, feeling sluggish. "No, It was because he asked a day after your father offered it to you, and we thought it would be a good idea to have you together as Betas," she returned to him. She wanted to add that Steady was instantly the right fit for her, but for once she kept her mouth shut. She did not feel energized enough to lead a discussion. Mason liked Steady right? So Zaria was not sure what he was whining about. Well, it wasn't really whining, he asked it normally but Zaria just heard it as a whine in her brain.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
"We still want you," FitzDutiful was quick to intercede, unwilling to let Zaria get the first word here, but it seemed Mason wasn't finished either. He seemed to question why Steady was made Beta too and FitzDutiful looked at him questioningly. He was about to reply when Zaria began speaking. he decided it was probably safer to just let her talk then to cut her off and risk them not looking united. Whereas he had faith in his son, it concerned him that Zaria seemingly did not and for the first time a momentary flash of fear that she would favour her own children over Mason appeared. It was swiftly quelled as Zaria finished speaking and FitzDutiful decided to add his side onto it too.

"Steady becoming Beta was completely independent of your position. It's why we didn't feel a need to make him wait for he deserved the position just as much as you. We saw no reason why the two of you could not lead together for you both have different things to offer the pack." With that said he kept his gaze soft towards his son, wondering though - did Mason not think Steady worthy of the position? Was there an element of birthright in Mason's claim?
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Mason turned his eyes to Zaria when she immediately gave an answer with her usual cutting tongue.  Her thoughts unknown, Mason heard only approval – she wanted them both as Betas, which meant Mason too. The boy’s tail thumped once even as his Dad cut in to confirm this was true. It also meant Steady had had to ask for the position – Mason had been offered it. Perhaps this was why Steady had accepted immediately and Mason had waited – Sted had thought it all through and worked out he was ready before he asked. Mason had been unprepared and needed time to make sure he could cope. 

FitzDutiful’s words made more sense to Mason – it had also occurred to Mason that they made a good team. Steady was a warrior, a fighter, and a dependable guardian of all. Mason was a more careful wolf, looking to become a caregiver and Scout, ready to remedy both ailing wolves and pack relationships. “I thought so too, about us having different things to offer I mean. I think Uncle Sted will be great, he does deserve it.” Nothing but pride shone in his eyes. Even if Mason had decided not to take the position, he would not have thought of a more deserving wolf to lead in his stead.

Mason thumped his tail again and kept his eyes on his Dad’s face as he posed another thing he had been wanting to raise. “I think I have enough experience to request the Caregiver title. I have spent time speaking with a few other Caregivers on ways to look after poorly wolves. I know we don’t have any old wolves or puppies in the pack at the moment, but that might change.” Mason inadvertently pulled forward the Elephant in the room and dropped it between them all. He, of course, meant puppies when Uncle Sted finally found himself a woman who wanted them. He was still blissfully ignoring any possibility that Fitz and Zaria – the only mated pair – could possibly have puppies this year.

“And on my trip out I scouted a lot of territories and spoke with members of a lot of other packs. I would like to become a Scout, but I would still like to go out a bit more before I actually request that.”

Intentions made clear, Mason’s wide-set fire-eyes settled on his father’s nose as he waited for a Caregiver approval.
532 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Zaria laid down since the conversation seemed to be going on more between Fitz and Mason than between her and Mason. She was too tired to really say something about it. Plus Fitz was still possessive about her and she couldn't see half of Mason standing there with Fitz standing protectively between her. Zaria now had a good view looking between Fitz's his legs. Zaria had displayed quite usual behavior lately, especially if you compared it with her usual self.

The slender female always choked when Mason mentioned children. Because it was about to change, what did he think that her different scent was for. Maybe for the first time after all the sexy times with Fitz she started to realize that she would be a mother, that she would have children after this. Fitz had been around her all week and within those week, each day they had quite a few rounds. There was most definitely going to be young. Zaria's eyes widened. "I should go. It seems you can more than deal with this without me," she spoke to Fitz. Her heart was beating quickly as she scurried off not even listening to what Mason had been saying. With that she dashed back into their den.

- Zaria exits -

Aww her first pregnancy sweats. :D
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
Zaria escaped, that was the way he saw it with how she scurried away and left this in his paws. It was nice knowing at least she didn't disagree. FitzDutiful's eyes watched as he mated scampered back into the den before turning his orange gaze onto his white-furred son. A brief thought of younger siblings flickered through his mind, but now wasn't the time to approach that. They had official work to do.

"Can you talk me over your experiences?" he said, in reference to his son's Caregiver trade. He didn't doubt that Mason had earned it, but this is what he would demand of anyone else and he hoped that Mason saw it that way. He was beta now, but that didn't mean he got free stuff. If anything he needed to earn his trade more than anyone else to show that he deserved it, and the beta position alongside that. It was probably hard being the alpha's son. How did you combat those that felt things were handed to you on a silver platter as opposed to working hard for the things that you had. This wasn't to say that FitzDutiful thought members of his pack felt that way. It was more the pondering of whether those on the outside would. His pack were family.
327 Posts
Ooc — Em
Mason's eyes bulged as he watched Zaria disappear, a few murmured words dumping this on Fitz before she left. The young lad was left with his colourless father, pale fur shining under a mild sun. Fitz took his duty as alpha seriously, as usual. Mason choked back a sigh as he looked at his Dad, his expression sort of saying: really Dad? It wasn't something Mason did lightly, ask for a Trade. Maybe exactly for this reason. Nothing was made of his being a Beta - presumably he now was?. There wasn't even a 'yes ok' - it was a request for more information.

With all the love of a teenage child, and all of the exasperation too, Mason said "I talked with Moon Shadow and Krypton about types of medical emergencies and treaments. I helped Zaria when she was exhausted from the move and had hurt her shoulder. I mended my own paw after she cut it up. I've had a few conversations with you... I'm sure you remember those."

Mason realised he was starting to sound petulant and his tone softened, and he smiled at his father. "And I spoke to Desna, a friend from another pack, and she helped me see that sometimes helping someone can mean letting them be at peace, if that's what they want." Tail wagging he waited hopefully for praise.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
Mason started to whine, started to show his age and his lack of understanding but FitzDutiful kept his face clear of all annoyance with that situation. He struggled with children, with the knowledge that they didn't just learn everything straight away, but Mason seemed to realise what he was doing and changed his tune. FitzDutiful smiled to see that, smiled to see the way his son was growing and the way that he was acting more beta like already.

"That's good, I'm glad! Then I think you've shown enough knowledge to become a caregiver, and enough of a grown up attitude about having to report it that we're happy to have you as beta of the pack too.!" With that the net had been cast, Mason had been caught but had also wriggled free. His little boy was all grown up now, strong and a representative of the pack. FitzDutiful hoped that he realised that all his actions would now reflect back on Silvertip in a way it never had before.

"Let's go grab something to eat to celebrate!" he exclaimed, shouting to Zaria they were heading out before taking his son on a hunt for some juicy rabbits.