Jade Fern Grove The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Private 
For @Spring!

Spread out before the aspiring Scout was an ocean of ferns. In the lightening dawn they looked almost silver, sprinkled with snow and wilting in the dour temperature. But the most distinct thing about the ferns was their size — a number of them were taller even than Ishi, which wasn't saying much because he was such a small thing. Still, the idea of heading right into those ferns was incredibly tempting... and so he did it.

After a few minutes, the boy decided it was a bad idea. He was a bit stuck, to be honest. Not in the literal sense — he could move, but it was slow going and these ferns seemed to continue forever! Given how much his brilliantly white coat stood out, any onlookers right now would be party to the comical sight of just his head weaving in and out of the ferns.

This wasn't as fun as he'd hoped.
Sometimes You Just Have To Believe
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Today Spring had decided to go on a nice, peaceful, long walk.  She pushed through the cold underbrush.  One thing she did not expect to see was a small fluffy white wolf stuck in some bracken fern.  She could see the wolf's head weaving through the ferns.  Spring chuffed a laugh.  Then padded into the large patch of ferns the white wolf had gotten stuck in to help, as the wolf looked kinda stuck.  A few feet away from him, Spring paused and then yipped with a slight smile.  "You need any help?  You seem to be stuckish."
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Ishi was young and sprightly, so it wouldn't take much effort for him to push or prance all the way through the deep meadow of high ferns, but it'd be a pointless strain... and so boring! But he couldn't think of any alternatives. He was about to resign to this fact when new hope came in the form of a nice sandy-looking stranger who told the truth. Yeah he wasn't stuck.... he was stuckish. Kind of! he admitted with a sheepish smile. I'm just a bit too little to push my way through all this lot. The woman didn't seem that much bigger than him, so possibly she'd found a cleverer entrance and exit.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring thought for a moment.  How could they get out?  Going in was easy, but now she was so far in and it seemed harder to walk than before... suddenly an idea popped into her head.  “Get low to the ground,” Spring encouraged.  “It won’t be so leafy down there, just make you way straight ahead from the roots and you should eventually get out.”  She observed.  On the forest floor if they got low enough the two would only have to avoid roots.  It was worth a try in Spring’s opinion.

Spring lowered herself to the ground demonstrating, crawling through ferns.  Making about six feet in about thirty second.  Then stood again.  “See it’s easy.”  She yipped enthusiastically.  The brown female gave her tail an enthusiastic wag, even though it was not visible.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Oops, he hadn't even thought of that! Ishi had been too preoccupied with figuring out the top of the ferns and trying to get over or through them, he hadn't considered pretty much going under them. But the moment he heard it he realised it was a smart idea, so he followed suit and crouched all the way down, slim white body close to the cool ground.

Oh man, this is easy, he agreed with a giggle, moving low and smooth through the ferns, everything dark around him as the plants stretched above. Where are you? he added after a moment, having fun. The pair of them were like a couple of sneaky raptors in the long grass...
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring smiled slight, proud of her last minute idea.  Her ears perked up as the white male spoke commenting on how nice and easy this was.  It sure was in Spring’s opinion.  So much easier than trudging through the ferns, she continued to move forward.

Spring chuffed a bit laughter as the male asked her where she was.  “Right next to you silly.”  She said in a teasing happy tone, nudging him to prove her point.  As the pair got closer to the end of the fern patch.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Ishi looked to his other side and — oops, there she was. Oh man, he wasn't the brightest bunny in the burrow today. But never mind, the fun stranger didn't seem to judge him for it.

So the pair went onwards, moving fluidly and swiftly like a couple of snakes, and then suddenly... they were out! The snowy youth took in a big breath of fresh air with a smile, tail wagging playfully as he straightened himself out. Phew! He gazed out over the meadow of ferns, which wouldn't be much of a challenge for a taller wolf. Quite the ocean, eh?
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
As the two padded out of the ferns, Spring shook her pelt, a few stray ferns, flew off.  She smiled as the stranger called the fern clump an ocean.  “Sure is.”  The brown female responded with a nod, with a small chuff of laughter.  “I’m surprised to see so many ferns in the winter, when that stuff should die off a little in this season.”  Spring remarked.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Ishi copied her, shaking his white coat a little to dislodge bits of fern. The plants weren't very healthy, such was the season, but the girl was right — it was a bit unexpected to see them here in such numbers during such a cold month. Maybe the trees were protecting them. Or, y'know, they were huddling together for warmth, he theorised playfully.

Speaking of playful — My name's Ishi! What's yours?
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring found herself pondering the males theory, but shrugged.  It didn’t matter right now, when she had other much more important things to focus on, than a weirdly placed patch of ferns.  Maybe she could investigate, later if she got around to it.  The brown female let out a small chuff of laughter at the white colored males joke.

Spring’s ears perked, when the wolf mentioned his name, Ishi.  It was a nice name in her opinion and it was fun to say.  “Ishi.”  Spring murmured testing it the word out on her lips.  “Nice name.  I’m Spring.”  The female complemented and responded.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Somewhere in the back of his mind, Ishi knew that Scouting — and life in general — wasn't all fun strangers and ferny adventures. There was real danger, but although he'd been told this he hadn't actually experienced it yet... and it was for this reason he was so naive.

Hey so this girl's name was Spring! Cutest name ever, he stated happily.

So where even are we, Spring? D'you know?
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring smiled a thanks, when Ishi commented on her name, saying it was ‘cute.’  Then Ishi asked if she knew where they where.  That made Spring think for a moment, searching her thoughts for an answer to Ishi’s question.

“Not sure really, but I think we are in Jade Fern Grove, I heard about this place back when I was a loner.”  Spring responded briefly, unsure if that answer where correct or not.  She was pretty sure it was though.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Ishi gazed out over the blanket of ferns, intrigued when Spring gave its likely title. He'd heard of this place too, from Ilya back at Lost Creek Hollow. In the Summer this place would be absolutely stunning. He'd have to bring his mountain lion pack on a trek here when the time came. I've heard of Jade Fern Grove too, come to think of it — my friend Ilya says there used to be a pack here.

When it transpired that his new friend was a loner and not a true-bred local packwolf, Ishi's white ears stood up in interest. Oh cool, you were a bit of a traveller?
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
"Once I was a loner and traveler, yes, before that in a pack.  I'm from Canada, near the Washington border."  Spring remarked.  "But now I have settled into a pack not to far away from here."  Spring informed Ishi.

Spring cast her gaze over the ferns.  "Where are you from Ishi?"  Spring asked asked, curiousity prickling in her voice.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
I'm from... he paused, then turned and stopped in the correct direction. He pointed his muzzle. That way. He turned back to smile at Spring, this time sitting down. Originally from Alaska, but our pack was a bit nomadic, we had to move. I travelled out here on my own, though, he added a little proudly. To be honest I haven't heard of Canada or Washington — are the lands like these ones?
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
"I've heard of Alaska.  It's cold down there isn't it?"  Spring asked remembering how Lunar Esclispe had told her she had once lived in Alaska and it had been very cold.

"Canada is cold in the winter, probaully not as cold as Alaska thought, and has a nice warm tempature in the Summer, Spring was about half and half tempature wise where I once lived, Autumn too.  Washington has miles and miles off forest on end, the same season temptress as Canada, at least in the parts I lived."  Spring remarked in answer to Ishi's question.  
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
I suppose it's objectively cold, yes, he agreed thoughtfully when Spring spoke of Alaska and its famous chills. Given his heritage, Ishi really didn't feel it much.

He watched her with interest as she spoke of her birthplace. It seemed enormous. I wonder if I'll ever Scout that far out... he mused to himself, picturing Washington's endless ocean of forest. Why did you leave? If you don't mind me asking, he added politely.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
"Well..."  Spring began.  "My pack was infected with a disease you may know.  It's called rabies."  Spring stayed silent for a moment remembering those sad horrific months.  "Everyone died but me, because I was careful not to get bitten by the infected, the rest of my pack wasn't so lucky and perish."  A hint of grief and guilt hit Spring tone, and her expression seemed sad and distant for a moment, but then she regained her focus.  "So after everyone in my pack was gone, I just didn't have anything left for me their but bad memories and pain.  So I just left and found the Teekon Wilderness eventually."  Spring finished.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Rabies... he had sort of heard of them, but hadn't been listening properly when he had. It had been one of those things when, ages ago, an adult had used the word rabies in a sentence and Ishi had been too busy playing to care. He cared now, though.

I'm so sorry, Spring... Somewhere in the back of his mind he stored the name "Teekon" as the title of these great lands, but Scouting wasn't highest on his list of priorities right at this moment.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring nodded, looking sad and distant for a moment, but then refocused.  “It’s a little better now.  I don’t feel as sad and guilty as I used to, I think pack life played a big part in helping restore my life again too.”  Spring remarked.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Such was his fondness for his new friend, Ishi wanted to reassure her that she definitely should not feel guilty for what happened to her pack, but he was (only just) grown-up enough to realise that now was not the time to go into intimate discussion about it. Instead, he dwelled upon what Spring said about how her new pack had affected her for the better. Good, he nodded. That's real good.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring nodded in turn.  "I think so too."  Spring respond in response to Ishi's answer.  Spring thought for a moment curiously, deciding to change the subject.

"Are you currently in a pack Ishi?  Just asking out of my own curiosity." Spring asked the male.  Wondering whether he was a loner or pack wolf, since that had never been clarified.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Ah yes! He'd quite forgotten that others probably found geographical names and charting as interesting as he did, and so he answered immediately — Yes, it's called Lost Creek Hollow. His tail wagged happily as he thought of his new outpost. I'm pretty new to it, but... yeah, wolf packs are good, aren't they. He concluded.

It was a subconscious clue into his bizarre ambitions that he specified "wolf" pack.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring nodded in agreement.  “Yes, Packs are quite lovely.”  She remarked with a smile thinking of Phoenix Maplewood, her home.  She would probably have to go back soon, she had been away for an hour now, she didn’t really like leaving the Maplewood, but she was very happy she had met Ishi.

“How far away is Lost Creek Hollow?”  Spring asked curiously.  Wondering what this Lost Creek Hollow Ishi spoke of was like and what it’s common climate was.  She would hold of those questions for now though.  Wondering how far Lost Creek Hollow was for now.
fallen prince
157 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Oh it only took me a few hours walk from the southeast, he shared brightly, the brief conversation about Spring's heartbreaking history gone but not forgotten. What about you, where do you live? Unbidden daydreams sprang to his mind of the two of them visiting each other in their packs. It probably wouldn't be allowed by their respective Alphas... but hey, it was worth a thought!