Northstar Vale A non-fiction fantasy
lost 'neath convoluted oceans
120 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
Diane was warming quicker to her surroundings than it was warming to her. At every turn she faced a trial, alarmed by her many weaknesses but surprisingly determined to overcome them all. Though really it was all just a ploy to forget about where she came from. Because anything, by this point, was less frightening than a wall of water rising up and crushing everyone she had ever known. She fought to immerse herself in present troubles so that the past didn't bubble up and attempt to drown her again. 

Knowing that food sources were important to the Ridge's livelihood (unlike back in the Cove), Diane decided to make herself useful that day and find the sheltered herds of the Vale that might be kept track of like the deer on the plateau. 

Her trek began early morning, a journey made longer if only because she still actively avoided the sound of running water; her anxiousness growing each time it happened, despite the fact that smaller waterways would've been glazed with ice. Diane made a beeline for the distant winter forest. 

It was twilight before the wooded area yielded anything of use, and though fatigue had begun to creep up her spine, the tender wolf found her spirit lifting, giving her the energy to press on under the purple-grey sky. She might finally accomplish something for a change. 

26 Posts
Ooc — Ku
He wound back from the coastline to the valleys along the mountains. There were wolves there too and in great number, though he hadn't quite differentiated that they were two different packs in close range. He had stuck to the lower climes to avoid their claims and did so with haste, taking out a better part of the day.

Now as twilight descended in the narrow mountain valley, he wondered if the final rays of the sun still caressed the fields he had crossed in the days past. There was certainty that they did, as even the mountaintops he could spy through the bare canopies were basked aglow in rich warm hue; there in the depths of the valley, darkness clung to the corners and eaves.

He swung his gaze back to the path that lied ahead of him and no more than a few minutes further, he spied out the comely shape of another. Distinctly feminine, the darkening landscape washed out the better and brighter colors of her earthen coat, as it no doubt did the same to him. For once, not in worry that he was near another, Roach hailed her with a crisp bark.
120 Posts
Ooc —
Diane paused, feeling her company rather than seeing him near. She lifted her nose from the cold press of a hoofprint; the very place where a stag had stood several hours prior, surveying his winter-thin harem from a distance as they foraged. She gazed ahead into the growing shadows, ears pressed forward anxiously for her guest. 

It was his accompanying yip that brought her head swiveling to the right place. She briefly met his eyes, expectant spheres like unlit tinder, in a sharp face washed out by darkness. His scent carried no others witothers and she found herself curious of the wanderer. Tentatively, she took a step closer, tail shifting in small wags and ears pulling back shyly, but her nose extended slightly, twitching with interest in his direction.

"Hi," she spoke so quietly, the wind almost carried hey voice away.
26 Posts
Ooc — Ku
She received him well, though the shyness was certainly the most forward part of her. It was enough to prompt him to pull a reassuring smile to his features, his own ears lying back against the curve of his narrow skull in a faint whisper of apology. He hoped not to disturb her, though he suspected if he had at all they would not have been exchanging courtesies in their own language.

"Evening," he offered, his approach slowed as he came to stand beside her. He could smell others on her, the little signs that she certainly had somewhere to belong. Somewhere that she hopefully meshed with, unlike he who the wilderness had reclaimed many months ago. "I thought I was the only one hanging around this place, seems kind of deserted... and tore up." And the latter of which had happened within the year, though it was likely neither of them knew the hazards that had befallen the region by way of storm.
120 Posts
Ooc —
He greeted her languidly, and she watched him with eyes only slightly more gold than they were solicitous. The hybrid  came nearer, his vulpine gait easy and strong. The docile Ridge wolf remained relatively motionless, the slow sway of her tail betraying a welcome she could not speak. She didn't like to be alone.

As the outsider came to a tall rest at her side, his scent overwhelmed her, and the sheltered creature's mind visited places she had never been and could not properly imagine. Stories played in her head, stories her Great-Grandfather had told her of places far beyond the sea. He smelled of these places she suspected, and it was of so many things to wonder at that young, naive Diane was too stunned at first to say anything at all.

Her gaze drifted outward, unable to identify with what he described as "tore up". She blinked slowly, sighing. Something had lay ruin here, but the defaced winterwood was wonderful to her still—and she found it pleasantly stupefying how life still wandered these parts, such as themselves. "I don't think it's tore up at all," she said openly, a sharp ring of true innocence to her tone. "And we're not alone," she added, half-whispering as the cold wind died down.

"I've been following a herd that traveled through here earlier," Diane said, something in her voice hopeful and clearly leading. "Would you.. would you maybe, like to come with me?"
26 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Roach said nothing when she rejoined him by saying she didn't think the forest was torn at all. It could have been easily summed up as to each his own, or in this case to each her own; that was the thought that coursed through him in an instant. What intrigued him more was the premise that she had been out tracking, because generally at the end of a successful track there was certainly food to be had.

"I don't mind as long as you don't," he said with a ghost of a smile. "What kind of herd is it?" He could have answered that one himself, but if she wanted the help then he suspected she would fill him in all the same. But it did give him reason to close in that distance between them to something a bit more friendly, if not cohesive. No doubt if they set off from there, they'd need to work in tandem.
120 Posts
Ooc —
She nodded eagerly, muscle memory automatically serving him a significantly brighter expression than before. He closed what space remained between them, and Diane caught her breath as if steeling herself for something—but though he was near enough to touch, the only thing converging between them was their respective waves of body heat rolling off their pelts in the boreal twilight. She remembered his question, and immediately became flustered, her ears falling back and her body distractedly turning towards the faded trail nearby. Her nose gave a slight twitch, whiskers extending tentatively. "I... hmm, well..."

Diane swallowed thickly, gazing sheepishly over her shoulder at the stranger. "It's deer... I think?" she was loathe to admit her unfamiliarity with hunting large game, but the most exotic thing Diane had ever caught was probably a hare—because they did not frequent beaches. She had grown up almost entirely on fish and birds, and that was where her expertise lay. She had had deer meat before, but it had never been even remotely fresh, having had to have been carried over great distances by the Cove's Rangers; and this was not any sort of decent comparison to tracking an actual live deer.

"I'm.. well, sir, I'm afraid I'm not as competent at this as I might've... suggested," she admitted with a bashful and vaguely dismayed expression.
26 Posts
Ooc — Ku
When she spoke again, he sensed her uncertainty long before it emerged in her tone. Whatever had her flustered he attributed to that and as she floundered and admitted defeat to what she was tracking, he could not help but step forward to the trail she had been keen on to investigate for himself.

"I wouldn't worry about it, I'd say it's deer," he concluded after a few moments. It seemed likely in truth, though he had to admit he had not seen much in the way of large game since his arrival to the region. But it was late in the winter and the deer were sticking to warmer and closer knit climes as they should have.

Turning his gaze back towards her, Roach offered her a reassuring smile.

"How long have you been tracking them?"
120 Posts
Ooc —
"Actually, I've been searching all day but I only recently came across this trail," she answered, embarrassment prominent in her tone. She eyed him, coming to his side again, and motioning eastward with her muzzle. "It gets stronger heading to where the sun rises." Maybe this was her way of not seeming completely incompetent, but this was such a small accomplishment that she felt no particular joy in reciting her small clot of knowledge.

They moved, almost in unison, along the planted track. Though she had no real pretext for tandem hunting, she moved with the stranger easily, instinctively parrying his gait, their conjoined movements as silent as gravity allowed. She couldn't remark on how comfortable this was, especially with the unnamed male, but it was at the back of her mind anyway.

"I'm trying to find some reliable sources of prey for my pack. I'm—I'm new there, and I really want to make a good impression..." Diane gushed suddenly with no clear pretext that he was in any way concerned with her menial life. "I haven't been proving to be much of anything but a nuisance so far, I think," she added, using the lowly opinion of herself rather than the perception of herself she had been given by others. "Sorry," she muttered, suddenly becoming aware of the babble trailing through her lips. "I.. I didn't mean to ramble."
26 Posts
Ooc — Ku
As they progressed along the trail, she spoke openly. It did not surprise him when she mentioned a pack, as the scents of others mingled with the femininity of her own. So far he had been fortunate when it came to meeting others, but the packs he couldn't help but avoid still. Roach's road to the wilderness he was in now had not been comfortable, and winter had eliminated any traceof easiness.

"It's fine," he said with a shake of his head. "I don't mind listening at all. I'm sure they don't think you're being a nuisance though, otherwise would they had taken you in?" The question felt rhetorical, though he wondered after her pack briefly all the same. "Or are they that way?"
120 Posts
Ooc —
His question sent her into a baffled state. Did the wolves of Porcupine Ridge merely take in who they could, no matter their physical or mental constitution? Diane found herself doubting this, but how could her situation not reflect this? Hadn't Taggarik found her cold and cowering beneath a tree, stuttering and uncertain, and offered her a home? She found herself shrugging at the sharp-faced male. "Everyone else I've met there so far are strong, and full of confidence—none of them are like me, I think." She clearly didn't think very much of herself, if at all. "I'm doing this so that I fit in. I.. I don't want to be the weak link." Which was a nuisance, as far as she was concerned.

The scent grew stronger as they moved together, a well-oiled machine that had never operated before. But they were yet a ways from the source. "You're alone," she commented, speaking both in a literal sense and in the abstract manner that referred to the fact his coat carried neither the scent of a home or of a single companion. "Do you like it? ...Being alone?" her question came quietly, her voice timid. There might be a reason he was alone—something painful that she could be touching on—something she knew of all too well.