Swiftcurrent Creek You're gonna feel the heat of my cavalry
all you did will be undone
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
All Welcome 
@Reek ! Keeping the raiding stuff a bit vague since that thread is ongoing, but setting this a little after PHX discovers their target has moved (it has moved hasn't it? lmao) maybe this is after the raid? That way Tavi can be scouting the area just outside the pack's area. Also I'm having a feelsy-moment about the creek :( rip SC i miss youuu. 

Since she hadn't ventured in to this area of the wilds yet, it seemed pertinent to get a feel for the land. The emberwood was well guarded by the raiding party -- they lingered in the treeline, and with a brief word to Saena, Tavi branched out. She thought of asking for a partner to run with her, to explore and investigate, but found that being alone was much better. She moved at her own pace; first through the great muck that was the wetlands, and then onwards, following the curve of an unknown river. She marched for maybe an hour -- the raid was still very important, and she wouldn't want to miss anything -- and when she came upon a mount of earth set apart from the rest, she paused to investigate it. There were chunks of stone piled high, a little taller than herself, and it was all layered with grass and snow; at first, Tavi thought it was a sleeping bear, and was nervous to approach -- but upon reaching it, she found it wasn't alive at all. How bizarre.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
I'm also making some assumptions because of the raid thread!

With threat dispached and relocated, Reek felt a heavy burden lifted off of his chest. His pack would survive, his family would thrive, and the wolves of the Maplewood no longer had to worry about the threat of starvation. With room to finally breathe, Reek hoped that his pack could finally get some much deserved peace in the coming months and for winter to come to it's swift and inevitible end. Everything was slowly coming together, piece by piece, like a particularly difficult jigsaw puzzle, and Reek was finally able to see an end.

He lingered in the Emberwood for a time, searching for any stragglers who may have left behind, but ultimately found none. The Emberwood sat unoccupied once more, as it was to remain. With the territory secure, Reek moved southward after noticing Tavi's scent trailing away. He followed her scent along side an unfamiliar river.  

Finding her inspecting a pile of... whatever, Reek's curiousity was peaked. Inching closer slowly, Reek approached apprehensively before muttering a contemplative, "Hmmmm."
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Was it a grave? Had something been buried here? It didn't look like it -- but then again, the weather would've covered any fresh hole with a good dump of snow. Tavi investigated the base, rounding what she presumed was the hind end of the sculpture, and arrived on the other side when she heard a humming voice. Raising her head, she peered around the butt of the bear-shape and spotted Reek. 

"Ever seen anything like it?" she queried, casting another glance across the pile of debris. She slipped around it, settling next to Reek quietly.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek's slow approach came to a sudden halt once he was upon the stoney mass. His face, seperated from stone by mere inches, hovered curiously in place as he inspected the pile in great detail. It was much too well put together to be a natural occurence, however, the reasoning as to why one would pile so many stones together eluded Reek and only further deepened his confusion. He reached out and touched his nose to the structure and quickly recoiled back after contact was made.

His body language remained tense, but Reek had discerned that the pile of rocks was indeed, not a threat. Dropping to his haunches, he was soon joined by Tavi who seemed just as perplexed as he was. "Never," he replied. "What is it? Do you think it's here to mark something important?" Whatever it was, Reek didn't understand.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Tavi didn't know what to make of it, and so her answer was a shrug and a brief huff of air, "Pfffbbt. Couldn't have been that important... Looks badly maintained." It wasn't natural whatever it was, and she didn't feel like lingering much longer near it. Reek's advance - and subsequent 'poke and run' technique - made her want to abandon the investigation all the more. His quick movement made her shirk back from the mound of earth and snow, passing by him on the way. 

"What's up? Did you need me for something?" it was doubtful, but Tavi couldn't think of any other reason why Reek would be following her trail. There were plenty of more capable wolves in the raiding party he could ask for things; but maybe he was here to retrieve her? "Have the others headed home?"
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek nodded in silent agreement. Whatever this monument may have been, it had been long forgotten; abandoned to wage war alone against the ravages of time. A forgotten memory. In a way, it was a sadly poetic thing, but Reek regarded it's importance no further and instead turned his full attention back to Tavi, who's attention had also been tentatively shirked.

"Nothing important," he replied while flashing her a wire-thin and thankfull smile. "The others are still at the Emberwood, but we should all be heading back soon. I just wanted to personally thank you for doing this for us. I wasn't really sure you'd stick around for long after Ukko left, because I know you guys were close... but, Saena and I are really lucky to have you as a part of this family." She had no obligation to come aide the raiding party, none of the wolves who came did. They all operated under their own fruition, deciding for themselves— and Reek couldn't have felt any prouder.

The alpha pair had even tossed the idea around about making Tavi their beta come spring. She had certainly proved her worth, and in the coming months they would need the extra set of paws. "This may seem a little left field," he continued, "but, how would you feel about maybe taking on a little bit more responsibility within the pack?" A part of Reek felt that offering the position of Ukko's replacement was coming too soon, but time would be needed to make a proper decision. Unlike when he sprang responsibility on his former beta, he would test the water with Tavi first.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
The proposal was surprising. It wasn't even really a proposal -- nothing had been offered to her yet -- but as Reek spoke, Tavi felt an odd mix of feelings sweep over her. She was abnormally quiet until the other wolf finished his spiel, and even then, seemed to take a minute to process. It was straight out of left field for the girl. But, it was heartwarming to think that Reek and Saena appreciated her. The only thing that popped out of her mouth was, "We weren't that close --" obviously a comment about Ukko, heavily embittered. Tavi tried not to close off entirely from the conversation because of Reek's mention of her friend and betrayer. "-- or he'd have given me some warning before leaving."

But maybe he had given warning, in some way? He had approached her. Tried to talk to her. Maybe Tavi had just been too blind to see the signs - or purposefully ignorant of them. She licked her lips as she pondered, her spirit clearly dwindling. "I think... I'd like that. I was planning on taking Desna out for some day trips, and get her hunting with me, and stuff --" but that wasn't the kind of responsibility that Reek was talking about. In this case, Tavi was resisting the concept of taking over Ukko's old rank. What if he came home? Maybe if she helped Desna develop her skills, she could take that spot. For now, it wasn't appealing to her.

"I think I'll start with that. She's smart. Helping her out... Would be good for the pack." Much better for the pack than her.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
All Welcome 
Regarding Ukko, Tavi's bitter quip brought Reek a bit of relief. The end of their relationship may have been painful, but like ripping of a band-aid, in time it's sharp sting would fade into a painless oblivion. It was better this way, Ukko was bound to break eventually, his unexpected exit only ensured that things would not get messy down the line. Perhaps selfishly, Reek was happy. For one, he didn't want any of his wolves feeling a sense of loyalty to someone who resided in the outside world, especailly one that had abandoned his family at their time of need. Second, a possible threat to Reek's reign had been swiftly eliminated without guilt. Another piece of the jigsaw had fallen into place.

Unlike Ukko, Reek trusted Tavi. She seemed beta material and Reek's intentions about offering the title were far different this time around. He did not bid her break, but instead, he wished to see her flourish and come into her own as a leader among the pack. She seemed receptive enough, but Reek could feel an air of resistance in her voice. Subtle like a whisper. He held off. A promotion could wait; he wanted her to truly want it.

"Good," said Reek in reply, happy to see that Tavi was willing to bite off a little more for the sake of the pack. His tail wagged behind him in a relaxed sway. "I'm sure once Desna gets back from seeing her father, she'd really enjoy that." The child showed a lot of potential, and eventually, Reek would consider her for a postion of power, but at this moment she was still just a child— and in Reek's eyes, this disqualified her from taking on this sort of responsibility. "She could use a mentor."
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Tavi wasn't exactly mentor material, according to her own declining self-image; but in a way her helping Desna was selfish too. She needed to learn the lay of the land, and her hunting skills were pretty awful. If hanging out with Desna improved both of those things, then why not try? There was a self-serving interest in the whole ordeal for Tavi. While she did like the dark-furred girl, there would be no point in helping her if Tavi couldn't get something out of it as well. Perhaps in time she'd become more adept at working with the pack instead of against it -- which she was doing now, albeit without intending the group any harm.

"Where is her father?" Tavi questioned in an affable tone. She knew of the girl's father just from what Desna had told her in the past - that he wasn't a nice creature. Another thought occurred to her: "Did she go alone?" If Desna's explanation of her family was the full truth, it wasn't a safe place for her, wherever the old man was. A brief expression of concern flit across Tavi's features as she spoke.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Having assumed gaurdianship of Desna in the wake of Scarlett's demise, the child had become his own responsibility. Knowing this, Reek sucked in a shallow breath through his crooked teeth and felt a sharp pang of anxiety in his stomach. He had reluctantly given Desna his blessing in searching out her father, but Reek had little information on the whereabouts of her deadbeat dad. He knew not his name, nor territory, but yet he still allowed her to go. Perhaps he placed too much faith in the youth, but at this point all Reek could do was hope for the best. If she kept her wits, she'd be fine.

"I dunno," he admitted. "I'm pretty sure she knows where she's going, but she didn't really clue me in on where to be followed." He shrugged. Maybe it was intentional. After all, Reek wasn't particularly keen on being followed himself, especially if he had a secret to keep.

"Wherever she goes, she goes alone," he continued, tone briefly turning somber. "It was her choice to do this herself... After everything she's been through lately, she probably wants some time alone."
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
It felt.. Wrong, somehow. To let that girl go off on her own in search of a toxic individual, relation or not, made Tavi feel quite protective - and a little queasy. If that's what Reek decided, then there was nothing to do about it. Desna could have been anywhere by now. You're right, Tavi conceded with a small nod, taking a thoughtful breath. I'm just... Worried about her.

Tavi's worry seemed to become physical as she spoke. She poked at the dirt, pawed at some exposed grass as the silence descended. And then, finding the quiet uncomfortable, she added (perhaps deviating from the topic a bit too much): About Ukko.. With a shift she looked up at Reek instead of at her dirtied paws, and while her expression was almost chilly, there was a hint of concern. If he were to come back, would he be welcomed?
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
"I am too," he responded. Of course, he worried for the girl, but this had been her choice to make. Desna was a clever little thing and would no doubt come out unscathed, but the threat was still there. The south was filled with wolves of the unsavory sort. Perhaps it was an unfair view to hold, but Reek's view of the south had been permananly marred back when he made his home in Redtail Rise. Only when necessity dictated did he ever cross over the Sunspire Mountains, but Desna did not hold herself to the same constraits. The world was still her oyster and she seemed dead set on earning her keep as a scout for the pack.

He worried for her, but at the same time she brought him great pride.

Ukko, on the other hand, brought no such pride. Reek shook his head no before responding, "I already gave him one second chance." It had been squandered the moment he decided to leave. "He turned his back on his family, so I'm turning my back on him. He has no place among us." It was harsh, but Reek felt himself justified in his views. If Ukko were to return, he would be forcibly removed.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
I guess that's to be expected. She conceded quietly, her mood plummeting as the verdict was reached. She anticipated that, but it still made her sad. And that, that emotion felt for a lost friend that had betrayed her, betrayed the pack, had been removed -- it made her angry. There was a cacophony whirling through her, and she didn't really know what to do about it. But she contained it well enough, breathing a long sigh out of her nose while her teeth were clenched. 

A silence bloomed. Tavi didn't know what else to talk about. Her emotions tainted her mind so much that she didn't want to say the wrong thing, or use the wrong tone, so she simply remained quiet - waiting to be dismissed, or for something of note to occur. It seemed wrong to just... Leave, considering Reek was her Alpha.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek nodded, but withheld comment. It was clear to see that Tavi had taken Ukko's disappearance personally, in fact, Reek felt the same. His own emotions clouded his judgment. Anger sprouted through the cracks of Reek's logic like weeds, pushing away the metaphorical concrete in their wake. If Ukko did try to return, Reek would make no promises about ensuring the ex-beta's safety. No, he would attack on sight.

The silence that fell between them was long. Feeling that he had nothing more to say, Reek did not opt to fill the air with useless fluff or small talk. Intead of turning to leave, however, it seemed they had locked themselves into a game of 'who leaves first.' He flashed his companion an awkward glance before conceding his defeat. "I should go," he said. "The pack will be leaving the Emberwood soon to head back. You can keep 'splorin if you want, but uh, I'll see you around."

He dipped his head with farewell and turned himself northward to head back home.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
I'll archive! :>

Tavi gave a small nod when he finally spoke, breaking the stillness. And when he turned to go, she called after him, I'll head back soon too. I think I'll explore for a little longer, but I shouldn't be long. There was no use worrying over any of these things that were out of her control. Ukko, Desna, the future -- she couldn't really do anything about... Anything. Before long she was alone again, and so Tavi resumed her exploration.