Neverwinter Forest the death of pablo
252 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
hunting for @Kyron ! mayB @Goldhawk would be with him?!

Eshe had doubled down on the borders lately. Out of respect for FitzDutiful and his fellows, she pushed her claim more outward and had, in the process, discovered the hotsprings. Such was a place she fully intended to investigate. To FitzDutiful she left a decent sliver of forest, so that he need not worry about her even sniffing the edge of his mountain. That didn't matter too much to her in any case; the area was all pale and cold and glacial, and did not serve her quite so well as the hotsprings did anyway.

At present Eshe veered in the complete opposite direction. Having broadened the range of their claim, she sought to reestablish it on the other 'lines'. She also sought Kyron, to see how he was settling in. Her nostrils flared as she tracked, nearing the opposite end of her territory. Perhaps she ought to catch a rabbit, or something, for a 'welcome to the family' gift?

Right.

Pausing to divert her task, Eshe did just that. She caught not one unsuspecting rabbit, but two! Wouldn't he be happy? She had found them snoozing in their little hovel, and had dug 'em out. Sleepy-eyed they saw her, and by then it was too late.

So again she resumed her journey back to the border, tail waving.
once you fall, you keep falling
27 Posts
Ooc — Jon
@Goldhawk Mild PP of him being with Kyron. I can edit if you mind :) And also mild PP of him finding Eshe. Hope thats fine :D

Kyron was a man of his word and had indeed stayed with Goldhawk for the night, making sure he wasn't succumbing to the endless cold once more as well as hunting some small prey to feed him. Truthfully, he didn't mind doing this. He was by no means, a caretaker or a nurse, but for a friend, or a companion that he'd nursed back from the dead, hunting for them wasn't that much of a deal. Of course, Kyron noted that Horatio probably didn't want him to do so; warrior pride and all that, but for his own good, he would have to deal with it. 

In the morning, when the two of them were awake and he seemed well enough, they set off towards Neverwinter Forest where hopefully, Horatio would find his new home. The journey there was slow, as he didn't want his companion to rush himself, but they made good speed and quickly arrived. The border markers were stronger now, and even Kyron himself hesitated slightly at the tree-line, unsure of how to proceed. His problem soon solved itself however, as he sniffed out Eshe's scent and proceeded to track her.

She wasn't far off and he soon found her by the border line. Chuffing softly to get her attention, Kyron's tail wagged in greeting and a small smile adorned his features. He gave Horatio an imperceptible nudge, urging him to submit in the presence of the upper ranking lady.
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Woot, thanks both!

It would have been a fitful rest, but Goldhawk had been out like a light. It sounded mushy to say so, but Kyron's concern was more comforting than his fur. He'd made a new friend in this male who looked so much like himself, and had not expected such a development — but then, nor had he expected to lose his spirit the way he had. Goldhawk had been holding out too long for a space in Donnelaith, and had made the mistake of camping out in a cave prone to dampness, and these two factors together would have resulted in his death if it weren't for Kyron. The chap had saved his life. Goldhawk had been humiliated to be seen in the most pitiful state of his life, but perhaps it would do him good in the end. The funny-accented Kyron was bringing him back from the brink in more ways that one.

Today they were headed for a fledgeling pack where Goldhawk might find some much-needed sanctuary. The cold had injured him. While an interrupted sleep and the warmth of his new companion had done him the world of good, his limbs were still painfully stiff and one of his hind paws had been so frostbitten he had a temporary limp. His fur, normally magnificently groomed, was dishevelled. He was not in a good state to be selling himself to a new Lord or Lady, but it was either this or die.

He had come to realise that Kyron was actually a rather cuddly sort, as further evidenced by his warm reaction to the lovely maiden they soon saw before them. Hm? Ah yes, the normally-elegant Goldhawk reacted to Kyron's pointed nudge, and lowered his weary head. He didn't have the strength for his usual flamboyance. Nor for his usual (extreme) talkativeness. For the first time in his life, he shut up and let others do the nattering.

If all went well, that would change soon enough.
252 Posts
Ooc —
There he was! As she broke through the cover of the trees she saw him, and her happiness was exposed without thought. And then she noted his companion, who looked as though he had seen better days. Eshe was a learning medicine woman and knew only what it took to survive poisons, but little else. At the Canyon the wolves that wanted their territory were prone to attempt to weed them out with rabbits laced in proverbial arsenic–

Now wasn't the time to go down memory lane!

She raced toward the duo, sniffing at the wolf called Horatio simply to tell his medical state. The good news was he didn't smell like death–but he sure looked it. Both figures before her were submissive, and she had a supposing as to why the other was here.

Perhaps in latter days would Eshe become more finicky with those she let into the family. But her heart was large, and she knew they had the room to host and help him. Her eyes were doe-like as they latched on every part of him. Both rabbits still hung from her mouth but she dropped them when she was close. One she nudged toward Kyron with a wan grin, but the other her paw rest atop of. Could be another welcome gift... Could!

She sucked in a breath. Eshe ought not to assume... And so she would not. Im Eshe, alpha female to-be of these woods–Neverwinter Forest... her concern for Goldhawk was palpable. In the end, her worry trumped all else. Even if he didn't wish for a place in the pack, could she not spare this meal for him? He looked tired, hungry, and hurting... She nosed the snack toward him. Her hunt, her decision. Eshe wasn't in the habit of giving hand-outs, but to those in need? She could not resist.
27 Posts
Ooc — Jon
Eshe's happiness was contagious and despite the situation, Kyron couldn't help but grin...until he remembered that Horatio was beside him. The smile faded from his features and he adopted a stoical expression; he had high hopes for goldilocks here and knew the man would prove to be an asset to the pack, that is, if Eshe accepted him. But despite the night's rest, Horatio still wasn't looking too good. Disheveled, tired, he was not in a good place to sell himself to a pack. Kyron hoped, that perhaps Eshe would give him a chance, because there was no way the guy could survive like this alone and the Persian was now part of a pack — one soon to be founded anyways —, he had new loyalties and duties to attend to, he wouldn't be able to help Horatio.

Blue eyes watched as Eshe ran towards them, sniffing his companion, probably to see if he had stunk of any sort of disease or death. She wouldn't find any; Kyron might be compassionate, but he wasn't going to bring a contagious wolf to his new pack lands. 

The sand prince noted the look in the soon-to-be Alphess's eyes and knew she wanted to help Horatio, but he said nothing and looked away, unsure of what to say next and hoping the talkative female would be the first to initiate the inevitable conversation. Before that happened, though, she nudged one of the rabbits she'd brought towards him and with a grateful wag of his tail and a small smile of thanks, he accepted the gift and tore into it. Then she spoke, introducing herself, and then awkwardly trailing off. 

Kyron looked at his companion, then at Eshe, inhaled deeply, and spoke. "His name's Horatio and he's looking to join the pack." Normally, he was the type to beat around the bush but with this, well, it was better to get it over with. "He's gone through a rough patch, but he's recovering quickly. He's a good warrior and guardian, and will be an asset to the pack once he's better." Okay, Kyron didn't exactly know for sure if Goldilocks was a good warrior or guardian, but he could guess and besides, he really needed a home and if the prince had to do a bit of guessing on his behalf, then so be it. If Horatio didn't prove himself later on, he would get kicked out then, but Kyron had faith in him, and he hoped that it might be enough for now. 

The Persian nudged his companion then, urging him silently to say something, anything. If he didn't, Kyron could not guarantee his acceptance into the pack. He needed to show some confidence or determination; Eshe admired spirit, and right now, Horatio was showing none.
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Beaten by weather and misery though he was, Goldhawk was not quite defeated. Oh he had been, but Kyron had won him back from the edge. So while he wasn't quite back to his usual self (a self that his new friend hadn't yet seen in all its obnoxious glory), Goldhawk was certainly more than a shadow of it. It helped that the lovely Lady of Neverwinter Forest stood there with hope in her eyes and rabbits at her paws. Goldhawk would have drooled all over them (the rabbits, not the paws) if he hadn't recently re-found his manners.

He stood up a little straighter (though not insubordinately) at Kyron's selling of him, somewhat proud. And a celebrated singer too, don'tcha know, he added abruptly onto the talk of warriorship. He twitched his dapper nose, then gave Eshe a long and flourishing nod of his head. Sergeant Horatio Finnian Sanders is my full and proper name, m'lady, though everyone tends to call me Goldhawk... unless the injury of pride forces me to disregard that moniker, wot, he added half-apologetically to Kyron before turning his full attention back to Eshe.

This chappy of yours saved my sorry behind, just so's you know. And it was a bally challenge I tell you — one he rose to like a flamin' geyser.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Eshe listened as Kyron spoke, and she was a little more than glad to know her assumption was correct, because she so hated the alternative when she made an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'... to assume at all! Kyron sold him well, and Eshe glanced back to the other as he chipperly added on that he could sing, too. She learned much about him in a quick succession. Like, he had introduced himself as 'Horatio' to Kyron but really had a great many names, one which was preferred, except for when he was downtrodden... then he was Horatio. Well, anyway, this Horatio-Goldhawk-Finnian Sanders man seemed to have good spirits in spite of his sorry situation... and Kyron was right in his thoughts. She was a great admirer of that.

The woman, in keeping to her character and in hating assumptions made on the fly, smiled at the other then and again nudged the rabbit toward him. That ought to help his spirits, too. We have a place for you to heal and to find a home in. We're new here, so we're working on our caches. You ought to get some rest, but if you can, I'd just advise that you keep on your feet. New as our claim is, some might not respect it. She spoke of the incident that occurred days ago, vaguely, that occurred when Kyron likely had found this here wolf.

Eshe paused, and then continued. This is Neverwinter Forest. To all those we welcome into the fold, well, they become family immediately. We look out and fend for one another if need be. They weren't many in number, yet, but it seemed at least that they were growing. My mate also leads, his name is @Scimitar. I'll tell him of your situation... the sooner you begin contributing, the better, but I understand your need to recoup. Hell, perhaps he'd join them even now! But before she gave the word of true acceptance, Eshe squinted at him and queried, You don't kill others for fun, do you? Ah, you could never be too sure! Better to find out now as opposed to later, when it would be, well, too late.
27 Posts
Ooc — Jon
"No, I don't know. You were too busy dying to tell me." Kyron shot back at 'Goldilocks' when his friend quipped about how he was also a celebrated singer. Despite his seemingly harsh words, the Persian's comeback was spoken in a light, teasing tone, meant simply for banter. He was happy that the other man seemed to be getting better, both mentally and physically, and he expressed that through his sarcastic use of words and the tiny smirk that had wormed its way through his stoical mask and was now on full display for all to see. 

Kyron kept quiet when Horatio spoke, and rolled his eyes when Sergeant Horatio Finnian Sanders, also known as Goldhawk spoke about his preferred moniker....except when he was under the weather. He almost scoffed, then, but remembered his manners and withheld himself; half amused at his newfound friend's antics. The Persian realised now that the Horatio he knew was merely a shadow of this Goldhawk and he sighed mentally, he was pretty sure that Goldhawk in all his glory was going to be a complete pain in the arse and playfully, in his mind, wondered if he should've left the Sergeant for the dead. Obviously Kyron didn't regret his decision one bit, but he liked to think about how things would've been if he made a different choice.

The sandy warrior shook himself out of his thoughts and back into reality, smiling when he heard Eshe telling Goldhawk that they had a place for him in Neverwinter. He had his worries, but it seemed that ultimately, he was right. While Goldilocks wasn't in the best of shape, it was his spirit that really mattered in the end and silently, he thanked the gods that his companion had pulled his shit together at the last moment and put on a good show because god knows what would've happened if he didn't.

Kyron resumed eating his rabbit as Eshe introduced the basic idea of Neverwinter, talking about the pack family theme they had going on as well as Scimitar, her mate. What the soon-to-be Alphess said next, however, almost made the prince choke on his food. He swallowed quickly and a laugh spilled from his throat which he quickly suppressed, sending an apologetic look to Eshe. "Sorry," Kyron said with a grin. He couldn't help it. She had just asked if Goldhawk killed others for fun....
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Kyron was a hodgepodge of good and bad traits, like any well-rounded individual, with timing to boot. Goldhawk gave a light chuff of amusement at his comment (what with its "dying to tell me" double meaning), but didn't comment, for his attention was respectfully on Eshe. His ears and nose twitched hungrily at the gift of the rabbit — but he blinked, and resisted it for now. The Lady explained the newness of her pack, and that there was a Lord that went by the impressive name of Scimitar, and that, it seemed... was more or less it in terms of the acceptance process.

Ah, he wished he'd made his usual first impression on these two. His show of majestic respect and skills had been subpar thanks to his injuries and the humiliations of the night before. But, most of all, he wished he was in the right mindset for all of this. Being brought to a fledgling pack, a warrior with promise, vouched for by a man who'd saved him from an icy death, welcomed by a Lady of certainty and grace. That seemed like a very honourable and enjoyably dramatic introduction to a pack. He would have to bring himself round to seeing that.

I'm infinitely grateful m'lady, and intend to leap into action the moment I find my leapin' paws. As to your concern, he piped up, ignoring Kyron's apology, I spar and hunt like the rest of them, but kill for sport I do not, wot. I wouldn't so much as box an ear for a giggle.
252 Posts
Ooc —
Eshe smiled at the banter between them. Like they were brothers already! It warmed her heart, and when Eshe had heard all she needed to—and he told her he was no killer—she nodded. Alright, you're in. Another brother added to our ranks! Eshe believed that blood was thicker than water, but the wolves of her pack would be considered as such. All of her family except for Bhreac had passed on, so the wolves of Neverwinter would be all she had.

Get some rest, she advised warmly, I'll see if I can find you something fresh to eat. Eshe nodded and paused for a moment, throwing her head up in a howl to inform others of a new wolf among them. The song itself invited any who would join to do so, but in particular she hoped to hear the voice of Goldhawk. Once finished, Eshe moved toward Goldhawk to rub against him gently, mindful of his injury, so her scent would intermingle with his own. She then moved to nip Kyron fondly before departing their company to do as she had said.
27 Posts
Ooc — Jon
last post from me :)

A grin spread across the length of Kyron's desert touched face when Eshe announced officially that Goldhawk was now part of the family of Neverwinter Forest. He would be lying to himself if he said that he was not at all worried about his newly made friend; the chances of the golden warrior getting into the pack right now, with him looking all disheveled and emaciated was not high but he had spirit, and that made up for it. Kyron let out a breath he hadn't realise he'd been holding and bumped Goldhawk's shoulder in a friendly manner. "Welcome to Neverwinter," he said with a smile.

Once again, Eshe howled to inform the rest of the pack that they had a new wolf in their ranks; they were growing larger and stronger everyday and soon, no doubt, the pack would have officially laid claim to this forest. Kyron, after flashing Goldilocks a glance, tilted his own red crown upwards and added his voice to that of Eshe. Once the song was over and Eshe had finished marking Goldhawk with their scent, Kyron brushed against his friend too, though he did so with extra care.

With a submissive goodbye lick to Eshe's chin, he turned to his friend and motioned him. "Come on, follow me. You gotta rest before you can do anything productive for the pack. Don't bother arguing." With that, Kyron turned around and trotted away, expecting his golden companion to follow him.
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
And from me~ Thank you, both!

Finally — finally — Goldhawk smiled. It felt like he hadn't smiled in eons, and his cheeks were stiff from lack of use, but truthfully it had only been a couple of days, which to a jovial chap like Goldhawk really was eons. Still, between them Eshe and Kyron had tempted the smile back. It would be a while before his premature fondness for Donnelaith would vanish, and he still regretted that the very beginning of this particular adventure had been so unbecoming, but the ending of this story was a wonderful one. Brother... Neverwinter... eat! All good things.

He felt a cosy twinge of gladness as the pair gently mingled together the scents of their fur (those two would be smelling faintly of saltwater for a while, then), then he stood back for a lower bow than he'd managed before. Thank you from the bottom of my silly old heart, good lady, he told her sincerely, then, to prove it, added his voice to her howl. There was a touch of chirpy warriorship to his pleasant tones.

Your welcome-bunny is fresh enough for me, thank you marm, he humbly rejected her offer of further food, and picked up the rabbit she'd given him earlier. He swallowed back the drool, but didn't chow down on the rabbit just yet. After another respectful nod to Eshe, he joined his friend in a quest for somewhere to sleep. Psh, on'y reas'n why I'm not arguin' is my bally mouf is full, he shot back at Kyron with his jaws full of rabbit.

And with that, the two Neverwinter boys left the scene.