Whitewater Gorge new pack on the block
It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers.
1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
All Welcome 
A new pack was around, and Cicero was intent on finding out all about it. Aside from the fact that it would help him divert his attentions from what had happened on his trip and the wolves he had yet to face at some point there -- mostly Damien -- Cicero was also eager to perform his duty as Scout and work on his Spy mastery. As he wandered through the Gorge, water running beside him through its river, Cicero noticed as he neared Phantom Hollow that the scent of a pack grew stronger.

Deciding not to get too close lest the wolves there were of the aggressive kind, Cicero stayed near the borders but never crossed them. He followed the route along the gorge however far he could, til he reached one of the edges of the gorge, and decided to scout out some near there, hoping he'd run into one of the wolves from the new pack, or into someone who could tell him more of it. Perhaps he'd take a look upon their borders then, if they were friendly enough.
Like a dream, the tree of life covers me, and dulls my eyes; I fall asleep.
776 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Guardian
Away
short post because I'm on my phone and have no spelling corrector, so sorry for little mistakes and such. I'm Dutch so yeah.

The queen strolled along the borders of their just established pack, her home and that for many more. Her duty was to patroll the borders, make this place into a home for the others and protect her followers. Of course, that was easier said than done. The smell of someone, which vaguely reminded her of a certain wolf she did not like, reached her nose and her hackles raised in an instant. It was the same smell that creature who she had fought with carried, though this one was male. She raised an eyebrow, unsure what to do. If it was a familliar of her enemy, what was keeping him from attacking once he laid eyes upon her?

The queen shrugged, leaving the borders to find out who the one was to boldly come close to their claim. After a while of sniffing the air, looking around carefully, she saw a ying-yang young male in the distance. She knew he could probably smell her already, so there was no point in hiding. 

Hello there. she greeted carefully, the ghost of a smile playing on her lips.
~Adopt Avalon!~
~Fake name: Absinthe~[Image: warrior_zpsifen6kug.gif](Guardian)[Image: naturalist_zps22vypiui.gif](Astronomer 1/10)

1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
no problem -- i'm dutch too, anyway. (: thanks for joining!

Once someone approached, Cicero noted no aggression in their step. There was a tenseness about the other, but it made sense, for Cicero himself often felt tense upon meeting new wolves (even moreso after what had happened with the white wolf on his last outriding journey). It soon became clear to him that this wolf was part of the nearby pack that he was scouting out, which would further explain how they might feel about visitors. Not yet accustomed, or perhaps, like the Dark Brotherhood, not comfortable with them.

Posture remained neutral upon her approach, and Cicero's expression was neutral. The healing wounds on the side of his face would hopefully speak enough for his lack of danger, Cicero imagined, though it did not even occur to him one might think it meant he was a fighter. He did not look much like a fighter, after all, since he was small and his thin fur gave him a homeless sort of expression. The only thing to counter the look was the scent of Blackfeather Woods that he carried about him.

A thin smile appeared on Cicero's otherwise emotionless face. "Good day." He considered how to further choose his words, for though his scent might betray that he was a pack wolf, he still wished for more information on the pack. "What a picturesque place for pack territory," he remarked, deciding not to ask for any information head-on. Even the most innocent of conversations held information, after all, and there was no use interrogating another wolf so close to their own border by firing endless questions.
776 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Guardian
Away
Oh yeah, I think I remember you from like one of my first conversations on here XD

The wind blew through her dark fur as she watched the clearly younger and smaller male, noticing the cuts on the side of his face. She didn't know if they were recent or not, having no knowledge of anything regarding healing and wounds, but it did make her feel a little more comfortable. She could probably overpower him, though she wasn't looking for a fight with yet another one of the brute pack that called themselves Dark Brotherhood. She had heard the thing speak of it, saying they were all assassins and stuff before they got into a fight. Assassin hey? This petite male? She almost chuckled, but kept her cool. She didn't hold it against the young male, knowing it wasn't his fault that the thing she had met was so foolish. She did hope however that this black and white individual had more brains than the bitchy girl.

Her posture remained neutral, her tail even wagging a bit. She didn't move toward the stranger, assuming their packs would be enemies after the fight between the dark queen and the thing that had challenged her. She hoped they could live in peace, but if all were so foolish as that dark girl, she doubted they could.

His smile was a good start, just like his words and the sort-of compliment on the place they had chosen to settle. The queen returned a warm smile before replying to his words. Thank you, young'un. She thanked him, not only because of his kind words, but because he was more sane than the girl she had fought with. What are you doing around here, if I may ask?
~Adopt Avalon!~
~Fake name: Absinthe~[Image: warrior_zpsifen6kug.gif](Guardian)[Image: naturalist_zps22vypiui.gif](Astronomer 1/10)

1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
With no knowledge as of yet of the previous encounter between the packs, Cicero did not know of any tension between their packs. If he had known, perhaps he'd have asked Nemesis about this pack first. He still would have likely come thereafter, though, for Cicero liked experiencing things with his own eyes rather than basing his opinions on hear-say.

She returned a question, and Cicero deemed it fair enough to answer it, even if he skirted around the edges a bit, perhaps. Neutral, mismatched eyes looked at the female as he said: "Cicero enjoys exploring, and he noticed this pack to be new since he last passed here. What is it called?" He didn't beat around the bush, asking another prying question after answering hers.
776 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Guardian
Away
Just as the other talked, she noticed something very... Intriguing. The male had two different colored eyes, one being completely white, the other being orange. Was he blind in one eye, or was this just a thing he had from birth? Whatever it was, it intrigued the queen. She had never seen someone with this, and wanted to ask him about it, but thought it would be a bit rude to ask someone why they looked a particular way. Something even seemed off in the way he spoke. Was he named Cicero? Why did he talk this way if he wasn't talking about someone else? Instead of asking anything, she decided to answer his question.

Moonlit Hills, and I am the alpha female. Malice Lanius, though only Malice is fine. I assume your name is Cicero? She asked. She wanted to know, just to be sure. 
~Adopt Avalon!~

1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
It would so appear that he had struck gold — it was the Alpha female that greeted him, and Cicero made sure to remember her name well. He had no desire to hide his own identity, for his appearance was striking enough for anyone to recognise him should he lie so close to home. Besides, being Cicero was important to him right now, for reminding himself of that fact suppressed the beast that resided inside of him.

As to her question, he nodded once. "Yes." It pleased him to be called by his name, for it reminded him of all the things he was beside the beast. "What sort of wolves follow Malice?" he asked with interest. So far, she seemed a decent enough sort to him, so he did not worry much. It helped that she was female; therefore, there was little she could take from him that he cared for. Cicero settled himself, sitting down while he awaited her reply to indicate he intended to converse longer, if her time allowed.
776 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Guardian
Away
Her hunch appeared to be right, the other confirming her thoughts on his name. She repeated the name a few times in her head to better remember it for later. His questions seemed to be endless, but it didn't bother the queen much. She liked answering them, just as much as asking them herself. She enjoyed chitchatting so much that her vocal cords had even been damaged by it, but luckily Veritas had done something about it. She truly was a good healer, and companion. The queen wasn't looking forward to seeing her leave, starting a pack on her own, but she was sure their healer would keep her promise about informing them on her well-being.

yet another question came, one that wasn't answered so easily as the other two. She had not yet made bonds with every single one of her members, so she wasn't totally sure what sort of wolves they were. She hoped every one of them had a curious and loyal soul and, so far, it seemed they all were. Even the shy Mitanni seemed like a true companion, and the new recruit showed promise. And how could she forget their to-be Beta, Sage? The queen had yet to talk to her about a leader rank and if she even wanted one, but was sure she was capable.

Our pack consists of many curious, loyal souls who treat each other like family. We are all equal, despite our ranks, and we will protect our home with our lives. She said, following the male's actions of sitting down. She had time to talk more anyway. Their borders were refreshed and she was close enough to hear anyone call out for her. Plus, she was talking to one of their rival pack's members, so she was still doing the pack some good. If the male had a higher rank, maybe he could carry a message to their leaders. A message about peace between the two packs.

What about your pack, your rank? Is your pack capable of peaceful co-existence? 
~Adopt Avalon!~

1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
Curious. Cicero liked that; curious wolves were interesting wolves to him, and he looked forward to meeting more of her pack so that he could beter make an assessment of his own on the capacities of their wolves. The next thing she said was curious, however; in Cicero's experience, wolves were never equal. "There are no ranks, then?" he asked, imagining there could not be, if the were all equal. She did say 'despite our ranks', so perhaps they had them; but if they did, what use were they if they went unused among each other? No, he reminded himself, she had introduced herself as Alpha. There were ranks. "Who makes sure the other wolves listen when the Alpha gives command, if all are equal?" he asked phisolophically, always enjoying giving things thought and theorising. The pack was new, so perhaps it had not been in order yet; perhaps time would tell what would actually happen, and if there'd be a revolt in his theoretic case.

Malice asked for his pack and rank, and considering what she had given him, Cicero did not feel shy sharing it. "Cicero is Gamma in Blackfeather Woods. It's where he was born." He had never called his pack the Dark Brotherhood; to him, that was something different than his pack, even if nowadays the Brothehood encompassed all that lived within the dark woods. "Cicero was born there. Is Malice from around?" He doubted it, since she was as full of questions as he was; she sounded more like she had come from elsewhere and knew little to nothing yet of the region.
776 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Guardian
Away
So many questions, the queen liked it. There seemed to be a lot going on inside the young male's mind. The more time she spent with the boy, the lesser she believed this was truly one of the same pack as the insane girl. This boy seemed anything but a killer. What was he doing in such a grim place? There are ranks, but no-one abuses their rank. She explained. Not even the aplha pair wanted all the power, they just wanted their followers to be safe. Yet came another question. That's a good question... She said, clearly in deep thought. Perhaps it was respect that made the others listen, but that was such a lame answer to give. 

What makes a pup listen to it's mother? What prevents them from running off and getting killed? She asked. She was going to answer her own questions to make her point though. I think it's because they know they won't survive all on their own. It's the same with older wolves. Lone wolves are often underfed and mother nature will eventually take their souls. I think it's that what keeps my members loyal, though I could be wrong.

Their conversation went on, but not all her questions were answered this time. The pack in Blackfeather Woods was definitely the Dark Brotherhood, the pack that the insane girl had talked about, she knew. Was he not aloud to answer her question about peace? Didn't they want to live in peace? She decided to ask again. And peace? Are you all capable of having peace?

The next sentence that came out of the young boy's mouth explained why he was in such a grim pack despite not looking like a brute. He was born there. Of course, that explained a lot. No, young'un, I am from far away. I was... Sent away for something terrible and stumbled upon this land. She didn't want to tell a lot about her former life and her former self. She was banished for killing her mother, a true crime. But the queen that now stood eye to eye with the young boy wasn't the same wolf anymore. She had changed, she had seen the flares, the twinkles in the sky.
~Adopt Avalon!~

1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
It seemed to Cicero a dangerous thread that Malice was walking on to say things such as that there were basically no ranks. There were always ranks, and if one of her pack members would perhaps hear her say these words they may grow bolder and try to eventually overthrow her. While Cicero appreciated the analogy, he did not feel it was the same. A pup was helpless and needed its parents to survive, and while a wolf needed pack to survive as well, they had more of a will of their own, and more strength in their body. They could choose to revolt, whereas a revolting pup would merely kill itself along the way.

"Perhaps," Cicero mused in response, still thinking on the matter and forming an opinion. "But if Malice's wolves were to depose her, would they not be with enough capable souls not to revert back to the life of a loner?" Cicero waited, then, knowing that such words could cause offense to some — he had considered whether it was wise to speak them, but since their conversation had so far been open-hearted and he did not fear her teeth regardless, Cicero figured she would not care much. She did not see him as a threat, and so he doubted that she would see his words as a threat. They were only theories, after all, not actual plans for a mutiny.

Cicero realised that he had forgotten her question about peace earlier. He had not done so purposefully, and so he was quick to respond: "Most leave the Blackfeather wolves alone, and the Blackfeather wolves leave most alone." Some were unfortunate enough to get sucked into the darkness of the forest, but most were safe. Burke, in Cicero's eyes, was not a dark master either, which upheld the balance; he had ordered not to drag Kove's children back to the Woods, after all, and he only really lashed out at wolves that had gotten to him first. He did not wish for the world to burn; only for those who harmed his loved ones.

Malice admitted to being sent away for doing something terrible, and Cicero instantly felt curiosity befall him. There was a mischievous sparkle in his eyes as he said: "It must not have been so terrible, if they did not kill Malice for it." They had only sent her away, after all. Hints of a smile tugged at Cicero's lips to indicate that he was enjoying the conversation, and he could not help but wonder if he would find out her dark secret. He loved secrets, but dark ones were the cream of the crop.
776 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Guardian
Away
This young male was smart for his age, as for every question he asked the queen had to think for a bit. Of course her followers could make it on their own, especially Veritas who had already made clear she would be leaving them soon to start something all by herself. Perhaps the daughter of Lucifer just believed that she was needed, that she was part of a bigger picture. I don't know, honestly. I would much rather think that someone needs me. She responded, a frown on her face. She had never felt needed before she had met Cogitemus and all the others that now felt like family.

They continued, now about peace. Maybe the young'un had just forgotten about the question earlier, as he was quick to respond. His response did not sound so positive for both parties. Wouldn't it be much more beneficial to form some sort of alliance with each other? That way no-one had to watch their back or go into war and probably end up hurt. The queen actually wanted to meet the leaders of the Dark Brotherhood, to say sorry to the insane girl she had fought with. She now knew she was in the wrong, and maybe even felt bad about being so rude. Are your leaders reasonable enough to consider an alliance, you think? She asked, her head tipping to the right.

His response made her eyes widen. The thing she had done was far more terrible than anything, but her father had been merciful. Any other wolf who had done what she had would have ended up tortured and killed. She didn't expect the young male to understand, he wasn't there after all. You're wrong. What I've done was unforgivable. If it wasn't for the mercy my father showed that day, I wouldn't be standing here today. She didn't go in much detail, not wanting the bad memories to haunt her dreams once again. Besides, she hadn't even told her lover of her former life. Not that he showed any interest in her past, but still. She hoped the topic would fly over so she could be enjoying this conversation again, as she was really interested in anything this male said.
~Adopt Avalon!~

1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
"Everyone much rather thinks that," Cicero countered with a playful sparkle in his eyes when Malice admitted she rather wanted to believe that someone needed her. Cicero himself liked to believe he was needed, but he knew that ultimately, he, like all wolves, was expendable. Not that he expected Malice's wolves to rise up against her, for she seemed reasonable enough to him.

Alliances. She seemed disappointed to find out that Blackfeather looked after its own wolves. Cicero did not understand the point to alliances. They might as well start a massive pack with all the wolves in it, then. "Blackfeather Woods likes its peace. What is an alliance for, if not to start war on a third party?" he asked honestly, curious for her answer. Peace could be agreed upon without any alliances of such. Alliances suggested that packs were expected to back each other up in case of fights, war. Therefore, it in itself implied war.

The subject of Malice's wrongdoing intrigued Cicero beyond the words they exchanged. He wished to know her secrets, was curious for her soul and the stains upon it. Perhaps so that his own blackness was not so painful to carry, perhaps because there was something about secrets. Her father had shown mercy, so it was an easy guess in what relation she might've done anything poorly. "Malice's mother must have been crushed to see her leave," Cicero said with a sympathetic look upon his face. He studied Malice as he spoke, eager to find out more about her.
776 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Guardian
Away
The queen nodded at his reply. You're right. Maybe we're all just a bit naive when it comes to that. She agreed. Who wouldn't want to feel needed, to feel like you're irreplaceable? She had been longing for that same feeling her whole life. Her eyes darted to the sky for a bit, wondering if her mother wanted just that. No. She only wanted to cause misery to her and her family.

She didn't mean alliances like the way the young male now thought. Perhaps the word alliances wasn't the word to use. Maybe agreement on peace would've worked better, as that was the only thing she was looking for. Oh bother, she would seek the leaders of Dark Brotherhood soon anyway to try to reason with them. I see. I didn't mean it like that. I want to prevent war from happening, so perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "alliance". She explained. Who are your leaders, if I may ask? She asked. She needed names. It would make it easier to talk about this matter with her lover.

The words the young male then said struck her like an arrow. She felt her heart slowly being squeezed, the same pain she had felt when Avalon had looked at her with disappointment in his eyes. I'm afraid not... She managed to say, her head tipping down to watch her paws. You see, I was sent away for taking her life. She hoped that this was enough to satisfy the young male, not wanting to carry on talking about this matter. There was no point in fleeing her past. She could, however, learn from it.
~Adopt Avalon!~

1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
It appeared she meant something different than she had implied. A peace treaty was a different thing than alliance, in Cicero's eyes. Where an alliance was involved wolves would need to back each other up, help each other survive if need be, whereas a peace treaty simply meant that they did not bother each other. And the latter was exactly what Blackfeather Woods, in Cicero's opinion, was already doing. She asked for his leaders, and since he had already robbed so much information from her, Cicero decided to oblige. Besides, Burke had never been very private about his rank and stature within the pack's ranks, and so Cicero did not think he would mind if his name was given for diplomatic reasons.

"Burke is Blackfeather's Alpha," he said. After a short pause he realised that they had two leaders now and added: "And its Beta is called Nemesis." She was perhaps not first to spring to his mind when he thought of a Beta, but soon she would be, and until then he respected her authority, so long as she showed him the respect that he deserved, too.

His own query brought forth the reaction that he had hoped for. The sinking expression in her eyes made Cicero feel glad, because it meant that he had struck gold. It was much jucier than he could have imagined, and he wondered what would bring a wolf to such a task. He had never do anything but appreciate and love his own mother. "Why did Malice do it?" he could not help but ask, a curious twinkle in his eyes. Passion, he guessed, something that had been taken from her, perhaps, an edge that she had been thrown over. Whatever it was, he wanted to know, and forgot to hide his neverending thirst for knowledge, gossip and, most of all, understanding the wolf psyche for a moment.
776 Posts
Ooc — Meebee
Guardian
Away
Burke. She was sure to remember that name for later use, just as the name Nemesis. Little did she know that Nemesis was the crazy girl who she had fought with. It would make things a little more professional in her eyes, and she wasn't thinking of abusing their names or anything. She merely wanted to be very formal with the Dark Brotherhood wolves. She would do anything to prevent a war from happening between the two packs, as it would benefit them all to have peace. Alas, she didn't know how Burke would think of that, nor Nemesis.

Thank you, I'll make sure I won't forget them. You see, I was planning a visit to Blackfeather Woods. She informed. Perhaps the young boy could send a message to their Alpha that she was coming or something, as it would maybe give the wrong idea if she came near their borders without a warning of some sort. She wouldn't force the boy into doing so, however. If he wanted to, that would be great, but if he didn't, she wouldn't hold it against the young'un. Could you maybe tell Burke about that when you go back? I don't want to come unannounced as it would be rather rude. Just tell him I'll be coming around in a week or so, to talk about peace. She said, but she quickly added: You don't have to if you don't want to, I totally understand.

Back came the topic she despised, but she had already revealed so much to this boy it wouldn't really make a difference. Maybe she had to learn to shut her big mouth up before saying anything in the future. I was jealous of her rank, if I'm being totally honest with myself... She murmured, returning her gaze to the grass. And a total nutjob... She added, almost whispering. She hated confessing to herself that she had been wrong, wrong about everything really. The place she once thought to be dark was now the place where she had found friends, a lover even. She had changed from a nutjob into an understanding, wise wolf. 
~Adopt Avalon!~

1,108 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Ambassador
Rogue
Toxicologist
Malice requested that he give a message, and Cicero nodded after giving it a moment's thought. "Malice should not forget to take distance from Blackfeather Woods' borders. The wolves of Blackfeather are very protective." Even if Cicero would relay her message to Burke, odds were still tall that she would run into a different wolf, and that she might meet an unfortunate ending were she to tread too close to the Woods' borders. While Cicero saw their conversation as no more than a game of information-gathering and -posession — one that he was winning, but perhaps because he was the only participant, he realised — he did not wish for Malice to get harmed and so he decided to warn her.

The last words had been spoken in regard to Malice's mother's unfortunate ending, too, Cicero realised. It was good to know these things about wolves, because past behaviour often impacted future behaviour, and because information meant power. "The past is the past," concluded Cicero, a small smile on his face. Then he looked towards the Woods and got to his feet, making ready to depart once more. "Cicero will tell Burke." Not only was it a small gesture, but Cicero thought it wise to inform Burke of the going-on's of this new pack, regardless. Cicero exchanged a last glance with Malice, having enjoyed her company, before he turned away and started to trot on home towards Blackfeather Woods.