Neverwinter Forest a thousand rubies, sometimes more
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
All Welcome 

As the ranger walked among the dappled evergreens, he could see why they called it Neverwinter. The sky was blue this afternoon, the air cold but still, and the pines had shaken out their snow in the night, creating an emerald wonderland that had no care for the Winter around it. Goldhawk squinted in the sunlight, then dipped his long muzzle to a narrow stream. After he drank, he blinked down at his reflection. Back to our old dapper self, aren't we, he observed, in a chipper mood. Almost dying alone of cold had been a painful humiliation, but a high-octane chase and a set of patrol duties had put the life back in him. Trim, groomed, and beautifully symmetrical, Goldhawk was quite happy with what he saw there in the stream, and so continued on his patrol along the edge of the forest.

Mere steps beyond where he trod, the scent of the border ran out — and beyond that border lay invisible trouble-makers. He twitched his muzzle at them pointedly. He was a tenacious guardian, and if confronted by rivals he would not pause for effect.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Thanks for starting! :) Tagging Kieran for visibility. 

Since her conversation with Eshe, when she'd learned of the hostile pack to the north-northwest, Kaskara had moved her patrols from the southern edge to the northern one. She made a temporary densite in a hollowed-out root system of a tree, curled up next to her mate @Kieran every night. Being one of the guardians and trained warriors of the pack, she needed to be on this side of their territory if someone from the opposing pack decided to infiltrate them again. This time, they wouldn't get a chance to escape without injury.

That morning she was out patrolling and paused near a stream to sip from its clear liquid. After refreshing herself, Kaskara paused to rest for a moment, before picking up the patrol again. And it seemed another wolf, golden in coloration, had quite the same idea. Kaskara had smelled his scent around and knew he was part of their forming pack, but hadn't had a chance to meet him formally yet. "Hey," she called, slowing a few yards away, not wanting to crowd him.
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
np! And speaking of whom, I've opened this thread so @Kieran or whoever else have the choice to jump in if that's okay. ^___^

Goldhawk inhaled a deep breath of cool Winter air. It flooded his lungs gladly and cleared his head which was still frankly a little messy from his adventures in recent days. But it had all led to a new home, and that was a result he didn't intend to argue with. There was a spring in his step. He was graceful in a very soldierly manner, and walked tall as he kept sharp eyes on the horizon.

He was not alone for long, of course, for this was a growing pack. So approached a bonny brown female, as distinct by her eyes as he was by his fur. A jolly old morning to you, marm — or afternoon, rather. Might I hazard a guess that you're out for a jaunt around the borders?
Faoi bhun mo chiche beats croi de laochra fior
350 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Kieran had slid from the den early, had made his patrols more often, more distinct. Though every part of him wished to attack the leader of the mountain pack, deep down he knew Scimitar wouldn't like it. Kieran couldn't quite name why he was so protective, he always had been, but it was becoming an obsession. Perhaps he was fearful deep down somewhere that something would happen as before. Because finally, finally he was happy.

He knew Kaskara had also started patrolling more often and with a fervor much like him. So he was not surprised when he caught her scent on the wind nearby. Realizing that he had some time to walk with her, he increased his stride, but not so much so that he was trotting, no just a faster walk. He however, didn't approach too close to her, as she was talking to another and he didn't wish to interrupt their conversation. So with a small dip of his head, he walked near and watched and waited, giving Kaskara gentle chuff hello and another dip to his head to the male.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Sure thing! :)

The golden man turned toward her and spoke, his voice as lyrical as his words. Kaskara was not one to use such pretty prose, but she understood him well enough. "Yes, I'm patrolling," she said with a half-grin. They would all need to patrol and train harder than ever now that the threat of war might be upon them. Kaskara had never wanted to return to that state again, but if need be, she would forgo her own brood in the spring in order to protect the world they were wishing to claim. Kas hadn't met these mountain men that desired their heads, but from what she heard from Eshe and Kieran, they weren't as threatening as they'd wish them to believe.

Kas was about to ask him what he thought of them when Kieran's chuff reached her ears, and she turned to him with a beaming smile on her face. Her heart lifted at that moment. There was no denying the love and happiness she felt around him, nor the way their love had grown since they had become mates all those months ago. Kas nodded him closer before turning back to the other. "I don't think I've had the pleasure of meeting you yet. I'm Kaskara O'Malley. This is my mate, Kieran O'Malley." She smiled again, feeling a girl again as she thought of having him all to herself, but the reality of the situation settled over her. "What do you make of this situation with the mountain wolves?"
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
It was good to know that there were other Neverwinter wolves as keen as he was, but he wasn't surprised. This was a promising pack with a level-headed pair of Alphas. Loyalty was inspired by the very smell of the grass. Goldhawk had been about to invite the charmingly smiley female to join him in patrol when another figure walked on the scene — a male this time, a different shade of brown to the other but just as rich. He returned the respectful nod, and tilted his ear to introductions. Kaskara and Kieran O'Malley, was it?

Sergeant Horatio Finnian Sanders at your service, he introduced himself to them both with a flourish, but you're quite welcome to call me Goldhawk. Having raised his golden muzzle from a short bow of gracious greeting, he gestured that the three of them walk together. Three strapping wolves like them were wasted hanging around like a trio of chatty grannies. Better to chat and walk.

As to the situation with the mountain wolves, it's as tense as a weasel's buttocks and no mistake, he shared. But I imagine you've been around these parts longer than I have, wot. I don't know a sniff about Silvertip and its populace.
350 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Kieran felt a small shiver of awareness snake up his spine as it always did at the sight of Kaskara. Even more pronounced as she gave her name with his last name attached. It was all he had to give her, that and his heart and she had taken it. He couldn't even begin to tell anyone how deep that well went. He grinned back at her and then focused his attention onto the male. Dipping his head in greeting when she introduced him. 

Well met Finnian. We don't nu dat much aboyt dem yet either. But oi assure yer, we'll fend oyt.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Kaskara smirked at his name, though not because she found it funny. She was amused at the length, and the fact that he simply went by "Goldhawk" most of the time. "Nice to meet you, Goldhawk." Then he pounced into his next sentence while they walked, reinforcing any weak scent markers as they went, as they patrolled the area. Kaskara liked Goldhawk immediately, like her brother; there was something about him that was different, true, but also quite welcoming. He spoke his mind and was unafraid of other's opinions of him. Kas liked that. "Kieran is right, you know. We don't know much about these mountaineers."

She wasn't sure what he knew about their past, but she decided she'd give him a briefing. "Before we moved back to these wilds a few weeks ago, we lived in another valley, far away." They prowled along, and between her words, Kas sniffed at the borders. No trace of outsiders. Good. "Before that, we lived in a grove on the other side of the wilds, and before that on a mountain up north." Whatever he knew, Kaskara was happy to broaden his knowledge. She didn't know him well, but she had a feeling he would be sticking around. "I've never met any of these mountain wolves. I hope they know we're not a family to mess with."
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Goldhawk quirked a curious brow at the name Kieran elected to give him, but he didn't question it. Finnian was as dashing a name as any of his others, and he'd go with it happily enough. As the three of them continued their patrol as one, the walk was easy and graceful — no quick marching here. It was jolly to encounter a married couple and it made the pack seem more like — as Kaskara said — family. Goldhawk didn't buy into sentimental stuff too much, but a soldier could be a brother too.

I say, that's an impressive amount of home-skippin', he remarked when she spoke of how far they'd come. He wondered what had made them uproot so many times, but a more immediate question sprang to mind. And that's quite the accent you have on you, old bean, he observed cheerily, charmed by Kieran's brogue. Never heard one like it!
350 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Kieran would probably shorten the male's name even further to Finn when thinking about him, but he liked the way the name rolled off his tongue. It reminded him of his homeland and his family. A strapping name, one he hadn't heard the like of in some time. Kieran was family, this whole pack was family and he'd fight to protect them and preserve it to his dying day.

Kieran nodded his head in agreement. They had moved about so much, it was frustrating and hard. He was tired of moving, ready to settle down and stay put. He hoped this would be the place. Kieran looked down sheepishly and shifted and nodded his head. From me 'omelan'. Oirish born. Dis is a second language ter me, not me first.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Aye. Too much home-skipping, if you ask my mate, she tipped her muzzle toward Kieran with a smile. Kaskara didn't mind the wandering when she was one or two years old, but now that she was three, and had a mate and possibly future children, she wanted to settle somewhere permanently. Kaskara listened then, focusing on marking the borders as they walked so the two men could talk. It seemed they had something in common - an accent different from everyone else, a life lived away from their family, names to match their strapping personalities. Kaskara smiled as they patrolled, feeling finally that she was home.
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Goldhawk was utterly charmed by the male's lilting accent, and glad to hear more of it — which made a nice change, given how much the golden soldier loved to prattle on as if nobody else had vocal cords. The female, Kaskara, was charming too, and they made a nice couple. Right now they actually made a nice trio as they went about patrol duty as a team, replenishing the borders and keeping a sharp eye on the horizon. Goldhawk didn't let the company distract him, but he let it command a nice little portion of his attention.

Well here's hoping Neverwinter proves a permanent abode for the two of you, wot, he concluded warmly. And then: do you wager you'll be joined by the pitter-patter of little Irish paws this Spring? he couldn't help but ask. Ooh it was a cheeky question in some ways, if this was one of those packs that reserved breeding rights exclusively for the Alpha pair... but you never know.
350 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Kieran would have been surprised if hte other had mentioned he liked his accent. Most of the time Kieran felt that it bothered mos of the other wolves, because they couldn't understand him. IT was frustrating on it's best day. Kaskara had managed to understand him most of the time, she could even speak some of his native tongue, which he adored about her.

Kieran felt his mouth go dry at the male's next question and he looked At Kaskara and the nto the male. They had already talked about it, and he had conceded, but that hadn't meant that it still didn't scare the bejeezus out of him honestly. He dipped his head once and spoke softly. We 'av talked aboyt it an' if 'tis de stars for us. Aye dare 'ill be wee ones.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Short post for me. :)

Kaskara walked beside these men, feeling her heart swell with pride and joy in finding not only a home for themselves, but friendly comrades, too. When Goldhawk asked Kieran if they would be expecting children this year, Kaskara nearly burst out laughing. Instead, she chuckled and bit her lip from making too much noise. She loved watching Kieran's reaction to the question, but finally nodded at his answer, smiling broadly at him. Then her gaze turned toward Goldhawk. That is my hope, she said softly, orange-gold eyes sparkling. If nature doesn't agree, then we can always try next year. Kieran was getting up in age, and so was she for that matter, but Kas wanted to be a mother, so she would try until she couldn't try anymore. If it wasn't meant to be, then she would not worry over it.
wot wot
195 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Bit of an old thread so bringing it to a close, but pls don't hesitate to PM me if you'd like it re-opened. ^___^

It would be nice, he noted, to sit down properly with this couple and learn all about them in more depth, but their conversation was paired with the act of patrolling the borders, and so they had to remain alert. Shame: Goldhawk had long decided that the pair deserved more attention then split attention. Still, he was having a rather lovely time with Kieran and Kaskara, and could only smile at their endearing replies. Well, if any potential or unpotential sprogs fancy learning how to sing, speak and fight like a poncey balladeer, they'll know who to come to. With that, they continued on their way and Goldhawk shortly peeled off from the others so the three could cover the borders more broadly.