Phoenix Maplewood All the best cowboys have daddy issues
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
All Welcome 
Maybe @Saena (because we don't have enough threads active already) and @Shreya

Having no longer the need to hunt for Saena now that her injuries had healed back to a respectable state, Reek still found himself on the prowl for small game to bring her every morning. Though she had difficulty keeping down whatever he brought, Reek was not discouraged. After so long, his routine had just become a part of his life, any deviation would just feel weird. He always arrived like clockwork— typically, before she woke so he could provide breakfast in bed.

Today's rabbit had given the raggedy alpha quite the workout.  It bobbed and weaved through the snow until Reek was short of breath, but tired as he was, he eventually emerged victorious. The loser hung lopsided and limp in his jaws, dangling by a mangled white leg. While he had once considered himself a piss-poor hunter, the practice that winter had provided had given him a slight level of skill. Acceptable. Still, he was no hunter by trade, but Reek couldn't help but feel a surge of pride. Nothing felt better than being the provider.

With trophy in tow, Reek began to make the slow trudge through the snow and back to his den with the slight light of the rising sun barely breaking through the mapletrees and dancing across his back.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
The only reason why Shreya hadn't beelined straight for the Alpha's den upon her acceptance was that a fresh flurry of snow had fluttered down from the heavens, suggesting that she head to the nearest den (which wasn't her grandson's). One of the reasons why Shreya was in such good health despite her age was knowledge of how to stay that way, and that included being sensible and not trekking through snowfall unless she needed to. So she'd spent her first night in Phoenix Maplewood curled up in someone else's abandoned den, quite cosy despite the conspicuous lack of Boris and Firtha, who had been excellent hot water bottles for months.

The next day, when the sky was warmer, she set out on a purposeful mission to meet Reek's mate and unborn puppies, and, thanks to the added scent of a fresh kill, found the boy soon enough. Slow down there, grandson, she called after his retreating back. You've got a creaky old shadow and it's me.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
So, with http://wolf-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=13100 going on, I'm not sure if Saena's going to be able to jump into this one. Might just be you and me :p. I guess we can play it by ear and be vague until I figure out what's going on.

Reek typically found himself most alert in the early mornings, when the light barely passed through the canopy of maple trees. Even the smallest noises couldn't escape the scrutiny of Reek's piqued senses, but somehow, the shallow footfalls behind him passed notice. It was her old, scratchy voice he caught first; like nails on a chalkboard. Reek had a shadow indeed, and he nearly dropped his rabbit as he recoiled from the startle she gave him.

He exhaled heavily and gently placed his kill on the ground. "Shreya," he greeted with quick nod of the head; eyes still wide in the wake of his startling. "Uh, you— uh," he stammered. "Settling in well?" Of course, it had only been a day, but he wondered what his grandmother thought of the maplewood so far.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Omai! Naughty Saena~

Shreya licked her chops at the rabbit, but made sure not to eye it greedily — unborn pups were more important than elders (especially Alpha Pups), so she had to be careful not to have designs on the food. But it did remind her that she'd have to track down a hunter or two soon and get them to catch something for her. She'd be able to catch a sluggishly hibernating little creature maybe, but her best bet for survival was to exchange food for lessons, and she had confidence enough in that plan so far.

Mhm — found myself a cosy little den that someone had upped and abandoned. She came to take a seat at his side. Do you see a lot of abandoned dens around here? It was possible Phoenix Maplewood was one of those come-and-go packs. Oak Streams, in contrast, had been extremely settled.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek nodded. Empty dens were a common sight around the Maplewood. While they had their core group of main-stays, the pack had been largly transient and in a constant state of flux. Members came and go; the only ones remaining from the early days were the alpha couple— well, and the hermit, Arion, but he talked to so few, it was as if he didn't live there at all.

Despite the rate of turnover, Reek felt the times were a'changing. The pack felt far more settled than it had been before, it's new core members it seemed had settled well and held no plans on leaving. "I don't force anyone to stay," he admitted. "They used to come and go like the seasons, but I think the group we have now is a bit more permanent... family-like, you know?" Of course, he had felt that way with Citali, Nochtli, and eventually Scarlett, but they had not been permanent fixtures among their ranks.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Shreya nodded, understanding and respecting the sentiment. Oak Streams had been much like that, though she was one of those rare older folks who did not dwell on the past. Oh she could ask Reek all about his father and uncle, and of course his mysterious mother, but the past was the past, and Shreya had moved on from all that. Her one and only goal now was to pass on her sundry knowledge and see new generations in good stead.

Incidentally, if you have time I'd like to hear where your skills lie. Clearly in leadership, but what else? Perhaps there are gaps in your knowledge I could fill.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Indecently, he did have the time. This early in the moring, Reek had all the time he wanted before his day truly began. While they shared the same blood, Reek knew hardly anything about his grandmother except what was said in passing long ago at the river valley. In a way, he figured her lack of information on her own grandson was far more deep seated than Reek's own ignorance, having only found out about his existance a day prior. Whatever she asked, Reek would answer.

If she assumed him to have skills in leadership, Reek felt she was mistaken. But, if this was her impression, he would let it ride. His leadership style, he felt, if anything, was less leading and more fumbling blindly and hoping everything turned out for the best. Leadership had never truly been one of Reek's aspiration, it sort of just happened one day.  

Despite his own silent misgivings about his own leadership, Reek did realize his own skills and strengths. His expression brightened and he replied, "I'm really good with plants." In fact, really good may have been an understatement. They were his area of expertise. "I've been a healer for as long as I can remember. My mother taught me."
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Despite an easy-to-satisfy desire not to dwell on the past, or even consider it much, she could not help but think it good news that Reek's mother had been a fine one... at least in terms of educating her bastard. Knowledge of flora and fauna and all the worldly attributes of nature was some of the most important knowledge a wolf could know, and she approved at once. Reek would perhaps quirk a brow at the idea of being impressive to anyone, but he was earning plenty of credit from his grandmother even as they spoke.

A vital skillset, she confirmed. Have you ever utilised your knowledge base in the realms of midwifery? You might prove exceptional help to your mate in the weeks to come... if you have the stomach for it, she added. Many boys didn't.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Despite being an encyclopedic fount of information when it came to plants and conventional healing, Reek's area of expertise didn't necessarily extend to midwifery. He lacked a certain level of experiance, having never fathered a litter before. Reek supposed he'd wing it when the time came, that most of what he needed to know about being a father would be purely instinctual, but still there was a worry that what he knew wouldn't be enough. It was a lucky thing to have Shreya around lending a more experianced paw.

"I was actually meaning to ask you about that," he admitted with a shrug. "Pregnancy is a whole new territory for me... I don't really have any idea on what I'm supposed to do." He knew there were several complications that could arise during birth, in fact, Saena's mother herself had died during childbirth. Unable to see her bear the same fate, Reek would do anything he could to prevent such a grim possibility.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Shreya was looking forward to hearing all Reek knew about the plants around them. For while she was very knowledgable in that area, these were new lands with new plants: Shreya was an old dog, but open to new tricks. Frankly, she couldn't do much with the new knowledge, but she was interested nonetheless.

For now, however, the topic fell on pregnancy. It was understandable that Reek didn't know the ins and outs of it — he was inexperienced, as this would be his first litter. If everything goes smooth and everyone is healthy, the early stages of pregnancy should be easy and natural enough, she began. Follow your instincts, and she'll follow hers — she'll be hormonal and hungry most of the time, so prepare for that. How far along is she?
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
"Oh, good," Reek breathed with a sigh of relief. He had fully figured that he would have to follow his instincts, in place of actual knowledge, when it came to Saena's pregancy. According to Shreya, it seemed this alone would be enough. With his suspicion confirmed, Reek could breath a bit easier now. "She's pretty early on," he answered. "First tri-mester— so, she hasn't really started to show yet." Hell, he hadn't even gotten verbal confirmation from his mate that she was indeed pregnant. Reek had simply seen her lose her lunch enough times to safely assume so.

He motioned down to the rabbit laid between his forepaws after Shreya's mention of her appetite. "I was actually going to bring this to her... You know, give her the whole breakfast in bed treatment." Reek smiled. "D'ya wanna meet her?" Perhaps when he took the rabbit, Shreya could tag along and Reek could finally indroduce his new family to his old.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
This might be very interesting: the possibility of seeing a pregnancy through from beginning to end. Not literal beginning, of course: she was perfectly glad she hadn't been around for the conception. Still, it was nice to know that she was welcome in Reek's family, and that she could be a help. But her intention was not to act as any kind of midwife but to advise Reek. And she was right in her initial advice: things could go quite easy to begin with, as long as everything was in order. Pregnancy, after all, was literally the most natural thing in the world.

Nothing would please me more, Shreya replied at the invitation to meet the mate. She stood, and gave a smile, waiting for Reek to lead the way.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
We may need to put this thread on hold for a bit until Saena's out of thread limbo

Reek met his decrepit grandmother's gaze with an expression of subdued excitment. He also wanted nothing more than for her to meet his mate, but he tried not to let his giddy nature become evident behind the glint in his eyes. Hoping Shreya would be just as taken with his mate as he was, Reek took the rabbit loosely in his jaws and nodded. Today, he would make his family complete (in some strange sense), by joining old with new.

"Leth go!" he exclaimed, voice muffled by the Rabbit betwixt his teeth. He offered nothing more in terms of conversation, and soon Reek led the elder into the deepest reaches of the Maplewood and towards the den he shared with his mate.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Sure. ^___^

Shreya nodded, a surge of something pleasant buzzing in her chest. In her younger years she'd call it excitement, but these days it was just satisfaction. She would be meeting her granddaughter-in-law, and playing a role in a new generation. Shreya was the ash, they were the Phoenixes.

Ah, but first —

While we're still alone, grandson — you do know how puppies are born, yes? Some wolves, male and female, remain ignorant up until the last possible moment.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Actually, we may not need to hold this off at all; since I'm like 99.9 percent sure Saena will be staying.

As they neared the den, Shreya used their last few moments to spare a final shred of insightful information. Reek stopped mid-stride and turned to her - rabbit still in jaw - nodding gleefully. He mumbled a muffled, "Mhm," but the rabbit withheld him from speech— even for such a speech-worthy topic. So far, pregnancy was all about surprises for him: the number and sex being the greatest surprise of all. It brought Reek no discomfort to not know what would happen, in fact, it made him more excited for the day Saena gave birth. Until this happiest day of Reek's life occured, he wanted to live in blissful ignorance.

Beaming like a youthful idiot, Reek returned to walking toward the soon-to-be whelping den with kill in tow. It didn't take long for the pair to arrive— a mere five minutes. @Saena's scent, intermingled with Reek's own, permiated the air around them. Reek dropped the rabbit at the den's mouth and peered into the darkness within.

"Saena?" he voiced softly, knowing full and well that she'd probably still be asleep. "I brought breakfast! And— uh, there's someone I want you to meet!" Reek, quickly pulled his head out of the den and glanced at Shreya, expression light with a broad smile as they waited for a response from inside.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Shreya's aged tail gave a couple of good-natured wags as they awaited signs from within. When there were none, Shreya smiled. Let's not wake her, she uttered quietly. I'm sure the last thing she wants is to wake up to an old lady asking her about cramps and morning sickness. Because, to honest, that would be one of the first things she'd ask. Shreya tended not to stop herself from posing whatever question came to mind.

Do you want to head on in and snuggle up to her, or shall we talk some more about pregnancy? That was one such question. She could guess which option was the more inviting of the two, but she was also open to the possibility that he might have some more queries about what he should expect now that he was expecting.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek waited for a moment, waiting for a response to come from inside of the den, but none came. The only sound Reek could hear was the gentle rise and fall of Saena's chest as she breathed in the throes of a deep sleep. He turned back to Shreya and nodded, accepting her whispered suggestion as to not wake Saena from her peaceful slumber. In fact, taking his place beside her for a quick morning nap sounded like a wonderful idea.

"We can talk later," he whispered, smiling. Of course, Reek had many other questions to ask, but they could wait. He felt a moment of peace with Saena's pregnancy would be hard to come by, so he was hardpressed to squander the opportunity before him. "I'd love for you to come by sometime when she's awake though."

Taking the rabbit back in his jaws, Reek said his muffled goodbyes and slunk inside the den to sleep alongside his mate and the children that grew in her belly. He stowed the rabbit away to be presented when Saena finally awoke, and settled into a comfortable sleep.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Short post to end~ Thanks for the thread! ^__^

Shreya returned the smile, falling into silence partly so not to wake the expectant mother, and partly out of contentment of sorts. She had rather wanted to at least see the sleeping Queen, and, if she was pretty, have a few more cheeky guesses as to why she had chosen Reek... but, having spent more time in her grandson's company, she could see why he made a good family man. With that, she gave a crooked little bow of goodbye, and turned to be on her way. Her smile lingered for a while.