Dawnlark Plains Wake up, you need to make money.
all you did will be undone
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
All Welcome 
Spring was in the air. The last bits of snow had begun to melt away, leaving more the world exposed. While Tavi would've liked to romp in the snow for a few more weeks, she was quite happy to discover winter's pull lessening. It meant the return of the herds. A more plentiful season would soon be upon them. What she hadn't counted on was the weirdness of waking up this morning; she had wanted to get up with the crack of dawn and begin tracking the herds should they be on their approach, but had only gotten a few feet from her den before discovering nasty streaks of red on her legs. Maybe she had kicked the wall in her sleep? Or maybe... No, she had no idea. Tavi was no herbalist or medic, and did not recognized the first stages of a heat cycle. There was time for her to learn - she wasn't exactly receptive yet - but the sight of red and pink throughout the fur of her thighs had unnerved her. After cleaning up, she headed out for her planned rendezvous with a horde of ungulates.

This did not happen exactly as she'd thought it would either. Upon finding herself on the edge of the Dawnlark, the morning light so pale and beautiful as it cascaded across the tall grass, she thought she'd find at least one creature milling about. Maybe a few dude-deer butting heads. The plains were empty of anything larger than a few sparrows, and so Tavi was left feeling disheartened. She settled in beneath one of the few trees upon the plains and waited, cleaned herself again, and waited some more. Maybe the herds just hadn't woken up yet -- but they should be back soon, she figured.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Because, why not?

Having returned to the Maplewood from his brief foray in the far north, Reek resumed his daily grind. He carried out his duties as usual, but with a renewed spirit. The snow had almost completely melted away and spring was finally at their doorstep. The maplewood had practically been reborn with life in the span of a single week— it was such an invigorating change.

He cut his patrol short to run by Tavi's den with the intention of showing her the super cool bug he had found crawling up a tree. It was surely gone by now... nevertheless Reek had a feeling she would appreciate the thought— and it had been super cool. But, when he approached her domicile in the early morning, he found it unoccupied.  The faint smell of estrus, however, filled the air inside. Reek breathed in deeply and was ensnared.

Guided purely by primal instinct, Reek did not think to follow, but his paws guided him past the border of the maplewood with a natural hunger burning in his gut. It took him hours, but he followed her trail to the plains bordering the Rise. Finding Tavi settled by a tree, Reek froze to the spot and watched for a moment - the bug far from his mind - before making a relaxed and playful approach with tail wagging lax behind him.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
screams quietly

While her heat cycle wouldn't truly start for another week, Tavi knew something was off. Aside from the whole peeing-blood thing, which she assumed was really not good, she also noticed a distinct lack of patience brewing in her gut. Whatever goals she had set of herself today - the tracking of game, maybe even the hunting of something - hardly stuck. She was settled beneath the tree but felt an irrational desire to get up and go. There was nothing upon the plains for her to chase though, unless she wanted to dive after the swallows as they chased after fresh bugs. That had been a fun game when she was a child, playing with her brothers and sisters, but now she was older. The hormones in her body had shifted, or begun to shift, and now she couldn't figure out what to do with all her nervous energy.

And then she noticed the figure approaching. At first Tavi thought it was Ukko for some reason, and lifted herself from the belly-down position she had been in, only to sit and stare at the silhouette of the approaching wolf. Why would Ukko be here, though? He hadn't been particularly happy to see her in the Tangle, and she hadn't been very welcoming. Soon enough she figured out it was Reek, and whatever had caused her muscles to tense, now relaxed. She smiled at him as he approached, and slowly descended back down to the ground to resume her blob-shaped waiting.

Heeey, she drawled, tail batting at the ground a few times. A bit far to be doing a patrol, innit? Not that she was complaining.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
It was a strange spell she had cast over him, one wraught through a wash of hormones that was doomed not to break. Had he a rational mind, Reek would have known he was playing with fire, but he was not one to shy away from the flame. He wanted this - even though he failed to admit it - after all, it was why he followed her trail.

She spoke and briefly, his trance was broken. He had certainly strayed a long way from the maplewood and his persuit must have been obvious to the girl. "Uh, yeah," he agreed, smiling. "I was out on a patrol, and I— I uh, saw this bug and I figured you'd think it was cool, so I went to find you. You weren't in you're den... so I, um, followed you here." God, it sounded so stupid when he finally explained it. Of course, he left out the draw her pheromones had on his system. Reek's brow scruched and he awkwardly shook his head. "But, it's like— probably gone now."

He felt oddly invigorated with her presence; playful even. After a quick beat Reek dipped low into a play-bow, simultaniously letting her scent wash over him.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Any other day she might've been enthusiastic to see him, and jumping all around at his invitation to play. For some reason - we'll blame the hormones even if she doesn't realize their efficacy - she was lethargic, lazy. Reek's explanation was understandable. Tavi was pleased that he would think of her when confronted with a pretty bug, and even raised her head at its mention, only to flop it back down unceremoniously in time with his play-bow.

That's cool. What did it look like? Her question was genuine, she was interested - but again, lethargy colored her tone and made her sound less charmed than she felt. Tavi hadn't been in this area during spring before, so who knows, maybe there were strange and new bugs to bear witness to? Her tail dragged along the ground, the tip flicking happily, and she tucked the appendage close to herself; inadvertently spreading the faint scent of her proestrus like a sweet perfume.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
His playbow may not have been reciprocated, but the peppy feeling that had wormed it's way into Reek's gut from Tavi's pheromones did not abate. He wriggled and weaved in front of her for a time, silently hoping that she'd spring to her feet the way he had expected, but she never did. The playful wag of Reek's tail slowed until it eventually stopped and he lifted his front end from his bow.

About to descibe the strange bug that had made him seek Tavi in the first place, Reek's voice hitched in his throat as he was hit with another wave of scent, heavy with pheromones, wafting from Tavi rear. Reek nearly shuddered and a chill went down spine, rippling out into all of his extremities.

Seeing that she would not move, Reek would come to her. He laid down beside the beta and scooted close against her. "Well," he began enthusiastically. "I thought it was a stick for a while. But, you know... sticks aren't supposed to move— So, you can imagine that threw me through a loop." After finishing his brief description, Reek was guided by the invisibe pull of instinct and he began to gently preen the fur at the base of Tavi's neck. "You would have loved it"
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Hold up, she half-snapped, suddenly enthusiastic; or maybe her nerves were a bit frayed from her hormone shift, and his proximity was getting to her, though not in a manner she could discern. She lifted her head and regarded him with bright eyes and a grin. You found a living stick? That sounds -- are you sure? She'd never heard of such a thing. Maybe he was making it up? Sticks didn't move! Not unless someone was holding on to it, or chewing it, or something. The girl squinted at him, clearly distrusting of this discovery. Are you making shit up. But before she could say more, he began to nibble at the fur at the base of her neck, which caused Tavi to melt back down in to a puddle with a low thrum in the back of her throat. That wasn't fair - but she wasn't going to protest against his attention. It felt extra good today to be doted upon. Mmmn, where did you see it?
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Much to Reek's satisfaction, Tavi did not shy away from his wanting touch. The low rumble in the back of her throat only goaded Reek on. His nips drew upward, from the scruff of her neck to the back of her head, where he lingered for a moment. "I shit you not," he replied between the slight tugs he made at her fur. "Living... Fucking... Stick..." It had been just as surprising for him as it was for her. Reek himself had been in disbelief, that is, until he saw it move. If only she could have seen it.

"Here I was," continued Reek, reguiling Tavi in the tale of his discovery. "On the border. Taking my morning patrol, as usual. I settle in to, uh" he paused, "mark, one of the maple trees... and there it is! Just staring at me. I mean, I practically pissed on the poor thing. That's when I saw it move! Believe me, I didn't stick... er, pun intended, around to see what else it could do. So, I figured I'd drag you to see it too!" It was no great story, but Reek told it with the enthusiasm of an old explorer.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
If he was willing to put that much detail in to a story, Tavi was more likely to believe him. His pun did not go unnoticed either; she let out a terse laugh, and then rolled so she was on her back, looking up at him. You should've tried to catch it. she suggested, but that'd probably be too hard. Sticks were small and breakable, and bugs were especially delicate. Then again, you might've just eaten it. Reek the Bug-Muncher! A fresh peal of laughter poured out of her, and she batted playfully at his snout with one of her broad pale paws. I wonder if it would taste like bark, or like goo. I'm pretty sure bugs are made of goo. Delicious.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
She rolled over, and out of her lips came the best suggestion Reek had ever heard. Of course... he should have eaten it! It seemed to be the only obvious thing to do now that Tavi had suggested it. This is percicely the reason he wanted to bring her to see it; what fun was eating gross things without someone to watch and egg on the unfortunate party.  

"Damn!" he declared. "Why didn't I think of that? I promise... as soon as we get back to the Maplewood, i'm eating one of those fuckers." Reek laughed and her paw rose to boop his snoot. His eyes rolled playfully and rose to his paws. He turned toward Tavi and exclaimed, "Reek the Bug-Muncher's gonna getcha" before slinging his gaunt frame over her as she lay. Through bubbling laughter, Reek showered his beta with fervent affection and playful nips.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
She nipped at him in return, grabbing playfully for whatever bits and pieces she could nab and pull. Briefly she wondered why Ukko had never been this much fun - and then she forced thoughts of him away, because he was away from her, out of her life for good. The next thought was more ridiculous; she wondered what she would taste like as a bug. Would she be crunchy, like a beetle? Or gooey, like a worm? Tiny noises erupted from her as she continued grabbing at Reek, snorting softly or grunting in the manner of a playful child rather than an adult who had just become the Beta of a pack. He was so quick that half of her snaps missed their mark completely, which prompted her to laugh and squirm. Maybe it should've bothered her that Reek was taking such an interest, or that she was relaxing on her back before her superior -- but it didn't. Some part of her wiring told her this was okay, maybe even more than okay.

Tavi stopped then, rather abruptly. She lay on her back and relaxed beneath Reek, stretching a bit while he reached for her, and batted at his teeth with her paws. This is nice. she comments idly, and lazily turns over, flopping her legs across him like a bundle of sticks (or stick bugs). I came out here to watch the herds, but... Looks like they didn't want to visit today. That was okay though. She had good company, and she didn't exactly want to run around right now.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Here with Tavi, Reek felt like a different man. He wasn't Reek the Alpha male, Reek the husband, nor did he feel like Reek the soon-to-be father. He was something else entirely— Something much more intune with the way he used to be; jovial and free. Here, he could be Reek the Bug-Muncher and without guilt, he could spend the rest of his day rolling around in a way he hadn't since he was a pup.

They're playful romp continued for a time, but when Tavi's retaliating nips stopped, Reek's attention slowed. She rolled, and together they became a tangle of limbs, locked in each other's embrace. Reek smiled, agreeing that this was indeed nice. "I have so much fun when I'm with you," he said, gingerly burying his snout in the scruff of her neck where he then allowed his tongue to lull. The herds could come and go, Reek didn't care... he was here.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Good! she chimed happily, before falling in to a slump, still tangled up with him. To Tavi this was just a game. She didn't think beyond the here-and-now aspect of their relationship, seeing Reek as a good friend and a replacement for all that she had lost. Of course it didn't help that she was going through some changes, but that would end, and everything would continue as it was. She was naive in thinking this, most assuredly. If anyone caught them together like this then there'd be questions and speculation - none of which she was thinking about.

Oh, did you hear? He probably knew about her promotion already, but maybe not. Saena asked me to be the Beta. She beamed at him, although the smile was itself a bit shakey, since she had her own doubts. I guess we've got limited applicants or something. But it'll be fun, I think. I get to boss people around now, right? Maybe kick Esaro around a bit? the quip about Esaro was quick, and her tone turned low and a bit menacing, but she was only joking. Somewhat joking. He needed a good ass-kicking sometime soon.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
A low rumble from the back of Reek's throat was his only response. The corners of his mouth turned upward in a contented smile and he allowed his eyes to shut in the comfort of her embace. The powerful scent of Tavi's pheromones still guided his actions, but his body fell slack— content just to lay tangled with her for a little while. He dared not move, as to not disturb the peace between them.

He had yet to hear of Tavi's promotion, despite having spoken to Saena about it in the past. It was not uncommon for Saena to go through with something over Reek's head. In a way, Reek had the same problem. Reek's eyes opened and his expression was wraught with elation. "She did?" he asked, smiling wide. "Of course you get to boss people around! That's the only reason I took the job when I started on as beta!" Back at the Rise, making other wolves do zany tasks for no reason aside from 'I said so' had been one of Reek's favorite pastimes. Now, Tavi could do the same!

Her suggestion to mess with Esaro, Reek's (perhaps unfairly) least favorite subordinate caused him to softly chortle. "I'm sure we'll have ample chance and a lot of fun making Esaro our own personal butt-monkey!"
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Ew, she jovially exclaimed, taking on a comically repulsed look. I abso-fucking-lutely do not want a butt-monkey, especially if it's Esaro. What even constituted a 'butt-monkey'? How much butt was involved? Perhaps in her current fragrant state the mention of a butt-monkey had been misappropriated. Tavi's face remained scrunched for a few more seconds, and then she moved on.

I'm not sure what to expect, she admitted freely, feeling content and relaxed when resting alongside the Alpha. Where before Tavi might have felt a bit weird talking to Reek this way, their near-death experience with her den had left her feeling rather close to him (a fact she would refute like any child would deny a crush - which this wasn't - maybe). Especially from the others in the pack. I mean, I'm not... Close with anyone. Not really.  Not since.. Ukko. She swallowed a lump, still finding the ex-friend's name left a sour taste in her mouth.

Is it hard? She piped up after a lengthy pause, likely sounding out-of-the-blue. I guess it'd be harder to be an Alpha, and fuck I'm glad I don't have your job. Maybe that was a bit far.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Her disgusted interpretation of 'butt-monkey' nearly brought tears to Reek's eyes from laughing so hard. His colorfull language sometimes had the habit of getting away from him; where he had only meant to make Esaro their own personal lacky, he could see where Tavi would have jumped to another conclusion that Reek found entirely too comical. Without explaining the subtext behind it, the topic was dropped and their conversation became far more serious.

Reek's laughter faded away in time to listen to Tavi's concerns. With how close she had been with Ukko, Reek couldn't possibly bring himself to understand how abandoned Tavi must have felt. The two had been practically inseparable from the beginning; attached at the hip at all times. But now, he was gone. Still, Tavi wasn't completely alone. "We're close," he admitted, not wishing to cheapen what she had with Ukko, but to simply air his opinion. At this point, Reek found his attraction to Tavi to much to deny. He hadn't shared a closeness like this since things were new with Saena.

"You know, I don't think any of us really know what we're doing," he reassured. Reek's own leadership style was one characterized by half flailing/half mistakes... but his pack had yet to burn down— well, this one at least. "I mean, it's hard... but if I can fumble through, I'm sure you'll do just fine."
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
A brief smile flit across her features as he confirmed their friendship, but it drifted away just as swiftly as it appeared. A part of Tavi assumed nobody would accept her promotion. She didn't know them - aside from Esaro who she disliked, and Spring who she found intolerable - but maybe she could make them respect her. Granted she now had the power to command they react to her, but... That was a brutal way to make friends. In fact that wouldn't make them her friends, but her subjects - and she'd be a tyrant, which was an amusing albeit bleak thought.

Then I feel better. Not entirely better about it, but... It wasn't eating away at her so much. Tavi let out a contented yawn right in to Reek's face, almost engulfing his snout with the moist insides  of her mandible; the yawn ended with a tiny squeak, which then prompted her to giggle softly at herself. Jeeze, I shouldn't be so tired... I haven't even done anything yet. And shit, where are those deer? Or elk? Or.. Whatever. I want to chase a hooved animal! The girl groans and rolls away from Reek, almost getting to her paws, but she's made herself dizzy in her effort to detangle from him and she rolls too far -- falling off the slight ledge that the tree was growing on. With a whump she lets out a wheeze, and then a sigh. Fine, or not. I guess I can just turtle forever.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek was awash on awave of contentedness, even as his face was nearly engulfed by Tavi's gaping mouth. Once her yawn had tapered off, he mirrored her giggles until she pulled away. Reek wanted to wrap her in his limbs tigher to preserve the tangle they shared, but unfortunatly for him, that wasn't the way wolf legs worked. She slipped away. As Tavi moved to break their tangle, once again Reek was hit with another deluge of her inviting scent— calling to him, begging him to make some sort of move.

His attention, however, changed direction entirely as Tavi rolled right off the side of a natural ledge. Reek's brow furrowed with surprise and he was eventually overcome with yet another wave of heaving laughter. He had laughed so much in one day that his chest had begun to hurt. He rose to his paws and meandered his way over to the ledge a better look. There he saw Tavi sprawled out and 'turtling.'

Reek can't help but crack a smirk in her direction. He had to admit, she was cute when she was clumsy. "Careful," he quipped. "There's a ledge there." He pointed to the shallow drop after the fact with his muzzle before dropping down to take his place at Tavi's side.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
She was left belly-up for a minute before Reek's head poked over the ledge, and his comment made her sigh and roll her eyes. She blew a brief raspberry his way before commenting, No shit Sherlock, and tossing herself to one side. This time she didn't fall off a ledge, and instead was able to get on her feet. There were grass stains on her back - not that she'd be able to notice - and a dishevelment to the rest of her.

Breathing another little sigh, Tavi shook off from head to tail, and took a gander at the plains around them both. I could always check it out later. Wanna head back with me? They could continue his patrol together, although she doubted there was anyone out for blood around the Maplewood. The most they had to worry about at this early hour were apparently living sticks. Oh, or we could go bug hunting. Wanna go find some breakfast, Bug-Muncher?
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
If anything, Reek had a firm grasp on the obvious. His understanding on everything else, however, tended to be a bit more muddled. Receiving a raspberry for his quippy comment, Reek responded with a playfully sarcastic roll of his eyes. "Gotta keep your eye's peeled, you know? Those ledges will just jump right out at you," he prodded lightly, poking her backside with a forepaw as she rose.

She wished to return to the maplwood, but Reek couldn't help but feel the slight tinge of regret for not activly pursuing his instinctual desires. Here they were alone and safe from prying eye, back in the maplewood, Reek had no such luxury. But, perhaps it was better this way. "Okay," he replied. "We'll go find that stick-bug... so I can eat it." He shot her a quick smile before leaning in to plant an incredibly awkward kiss on the side of her muzzle. He pulled away quickly his ears splayed in all directions.

"Uh, lets go," he quickly added before motioning to leave.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Faaaade?

She would've shot him a snide response, but then Reek was planting a kiss on her snout, and for a second Tavi had a blank look on her face. It was like her brain had just done a hard reset, unsure of how to deal with that tiny display of affection. Really it was no different from his snapping, wiggling play from earlier; so that's how she took it, at least for now. Mmkay Bug-Muncher, lets see how many sticks we can shove in... That.. Big mouth of yours. That was smooth. When Reek motioned for them to leave, Tavi took the cue and sauntered by him - her tail twitching nervously behind her - and she led the way back to the Maplewood.