Neverwinter Forest if the high was worth the pain
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
All Welcome 
For @Scimitar but I left it all welcome just in case anyone else wanted to hop in. :D Also, kind of played loose with the timelines. xD

For all intents and purposes Kjalarr had more or less acted as if Moonspear and all of it's residents had fallen off the face of the earth. They might as well have; and Charon's childish reaction to his choice to leave had been nothing short of the final nail in his the coffin. Kjalarr had, had enough of it and he swore to Odin himself that if he ever came across the Ostrega again he would kill him: as Ragnar had done to Björn; and he felt no guilt about the murderous fire of determination within him, either. As far as Kjalarr could be arsed to care, Charon deserved it; but for now as long as the Ostrega clung to his precious mountain he would be safe from Kjalarr. It had been on his journey after the scuffle as to which Thistle Cloud had broken up before it could get serious (and it would have would she have not intervened) back to Saltwinter that he'd thought he'd picked up Scimitar's scent; but he'd been eager to get back to Saltwinter and hadn't stopped to investigate it further, telling himself that his adoptive father couldn't possibly be back in the Teekon.

For a while, Kjalarr had forgotten about it, at least, until the small trip to Donnelaith Kjalarr had taken with Vlad and Caiaphas had gotten his curiosity piqued again, wondering if he really had picked up Scimitar Frostfur's scent or if he'd simply imagined it. It was only after alerting Vlad and Caiaphas to his small journey the once aspiring outrider had taken to the mountains of sunspire, cutting through them as opposed to following the coast, taking the shortcut to get him to Neverwinter faster, his steps slowing to a cease a more than respectful distance between their borders and his body. He recognized two of the strong scents upon their borders, mixed with one he did not. Scimitar and Kaskara. They were really here. 

His heart gave a fluttering palpitation within it's prison of flesh and bone and lifting his muzzle towards the darkened sky of dusk Kjalarr let out a low howl, wanting to see his adoptive family once more. Or those of them that had come back, anyway. There was distinct absence of Bazi's scent and though this confused Kjalarr he figured that they would catch up in time; providing he did not receive the same kind of welcome from them as he had Charon. As to which, he hoped wouldn't happen. He was fighting with one supposed family and that was enough for him for a lifetime.

please send all PM's to kivaluk

1/3 threads
you still wonder if you're
a ferocious beast or a saint
but you're neither because
you're infinitely more —

per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Yay! <3

Since settling and claiming their home here in the forest, Kaskara felt something stirring within her. She had felt it twice before; once in the spring of her second year and again during the spring of last year. The first time she'd been so young and unaware of her adulthood than she'd ignored the feeling, and as usual, kept to herself. The second time was during their stay in the creek, before she'd become mates with Kieran, during the stressful war with the dark brotherhood pack. Her body had been under such duress that the heat hadn't lasted very long, and everyone had been too occupied with Star and her mistake bringing war upon them that most of the males ignored her.

Now that she felt the beginnings of her heat and had a mate and a mostly steady pack, Kaskara knew that this year she and Kieran would try for children. Her brother had already given them permission, and Eshe seemed ecstatic about the idea, too. Now all that remained was the talk with Kieran. She knew he was reluctant to bring children into the world after what happened with his last brood, but Kaskara would not let that fear or uncertainty cloud her own judgment. She wanted children and she'd let him know that. Whatever came of that conversation remained to be seen.

Kas was busy roaming the borders that morning, marking any section that seemed weak, when a vaguely familiar howl rose up for Scimitar from the western border. She was close, so she quickened her pace through the woods, and finally found a familiar face waiting for them. "Jorunn!" she called happily, tail wagging behind her. While she wasn't sure how he'd take her presence or the heat-scent building within her, she wanted to kiss him. "I thought I'd never see you again! I trust you're doing well for yourself?" she asked, pausing a few feet away, a bright smile on her lips.
he came and stole the wild
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Dusk was upon them – the shadows of fading light toying along the generous branches of the forest. It was a sight he had missed, and his largest regret was not bringing his family directly here after the fire of Nova Peak – Bazi had never enjoyed the more tropical appeal of Jade Fern Grove, but Neverwinter Forest would have resonated with her more – though his ex-wife always longed for the north and anything that reminded her of it.

It had worked out for the best in the end. Eshe was at his side now, and his only regret was his latest coupling with his estranged ex-mate, given they had conceived once more. Yet the moment Eshe and he had finally admitted their feelings for one another, they had been pushed away – and Scimitar was only grateful that he had this chance now to settle somewhere. For good.

The howl that sounded drew his own muzzle up, his eyes seeking the caller, though he was a ways off. He recognized the cry anywhere – Jorunn. A smile swept to the large wolf’s features, and clipping his own short message back, he announced he would find the boy.

His pace had been fast, but Kaskara had beat him to it. The faintest scent tickled at his nose, and he found himself curious as to why Kieran was not with her – and his own comfort level plummeted. Casting her a small grin, his eyes trained upon the boy who was no longer a boy – Jorunn had grown even more since he had last seen his adoptive son, and a grin found itself to his muzzle. “I was wondering if you’d stop by – wasn’t sure where you’re biological family kept you now,” he offered, his tail giving a sweep through the air. “It is good to see you, Jorunn.”
a crime so old as the sky and bone
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
Kjalarr was riddled with anticipation as the sound of nearing footfalls were heard, his ears swiveling to stand attentive and alert atop his skull, his eyes scanning the shadowed landscape, struggling to discern the shape that was Kaskara before her movement caught his attention and he relaxed ever so slightly, having not realized that his muscles had been taunt, nor that he'd been holding his breath until she spoke, his birth name falling from her lips as she called to him, her tone jovial. It released from him in  a sigh full of his relief as it crashed down around him. Immediately, he felt bad for thinking that his greeting would be anything less. “Hey,” He greeted her in return, his tone joyful if not a bit sheepish in his temperance of guilt. “I know! I was sure you guys were gone for good,” He had thought his goodbyes with the Frostfurs would be final and forever, though admittedly he was extremely happy that such wasn't the case. “I think so, maybe,” Kjalarr responded, thinking first of Saltwinter but then of his strife with his biological family and with Charon — though as far as Kjalarr was concerned Charon was the root of his problems and thus the root of his issues with Floki and Thistle Cloud (even if it wasn't true).

Before Kjalarr could elaborate on it, Scimitar arrived on the scene and spoke causing Kjalarr to grimace slightly. “I would have visited sooner but I wasn't sure if it was really you guys or not,” among other reasons. “And to be perfectly honest things haven't went well with my biological family so I've actually joined a different pack along the northern reaches of the coast.” Though it wasn't Thistle or Floki he truly wished to be far away from. Charon was a pest but he would get what was coming to him in due time, Kjalarr was confident. Charon was not the head of the Loðbrok; for that right went to his first born true blood son (which as far Kjalarr was aware was him). “It got pretty nasty, actually. I almost had a fight Charon, the Alpha of Moonspear, I guess he's my adoptive brother or something.” Kjalarr rolled his eyes. “But it was shit from day one, in all honesty. Charon lost all of my respect the moment he blamed everything that happened on me and when he insulted you guys, which happened in the first maybe ten minutes of our reunion.” Because it was something that Kjalarr thought they should know. Of course, Kjalarr was going to take the insults personally: Scimitar, Bazi and Kaskara had been important and massive parts of his life growing up, and of course he was going to defend them.

“I don't want to start anything between your packs but don't expect friendly encounters from him, in particular, especially if he finds out who you are. I didn't expect him to react the way he did so I didn't bother to hide anything about you guys. I'd like to say you're fine as long as I'm not apart of Neverwinter but I wouldn't put anything past him.” As his family, Kjalarr felt it was his duty to forewarn them. “But I don't want to tarnish this reunion with talk of him, how are you two? How is everyone else? What did I miss?” He was much more interested in hearing what had happened with the Frostfur family than dwell in his own drama with his biological family, eager to move onto matters less grim.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Kaskara smiled as Jorunn spoke, noting the ways in which he'd changed from a shy youth into a quiet and somewhat reserved young man. It wasn't that his shyness had gone away, not completely; it was more like it had morphed into reservation. And in all honesty, Kas knew that reservation made a wolf smarter, for they were more likely to think before speaking or acting, and would usually make wiser decisions for it.

When her brother arrived, it seemed all the boy's reservations vanished, and he launched into a tale of painful reunions with his family and moving to a new pack. Kaskara's brows furrowed. You haven't joined that pirate pack, have you? We've been told they're attacking packs along the coast, and if you're part of it, we'll have to teach you a few things about respect. Though she said it as a joke, it was a serious thing she spoke of. But Jorunn said it was the northern reaches, and if the pack haunting Donnelaith was nearer to the southern expanse, then it was unlikely it would be the same group.

He warned them about Moonspear, a pack they had not met with yet. She frowned, but knew that her role as scout and future ambassador would be put to use sooner than expected. Charon. She stored the name away for future use, and listened to the rest of his tale. No matter what this Charon thinks, you're always welcome within our ranks, Jorunn. You're family, after all, even if we don't share blood. Family was more than flesh and blood, as least to the Frostfurs. Family meant love and loyalty, protection, honor, and support. I think everyone is fine. Kieran and I are happy and I hope we'll have little chocolate babes soon. She laughed softly, happiness dancing in her eyes. We'll see how that goes, but its my hope.

Then she looked toward Scimitar, allowing him to tell his own news. It wasn't her place to explain his choices and decisions to the boy, or anyone else for that matter. Kas didn't judge her brother, but she also knew it wasn't her place to speak for him.
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The youth seemingly grimaced at Scimitar’s words – apparently, words that were taken far too seriously, given his jest. Yet he was far more interested in what was spoken of next – his biological family. A slight frown marred the large male’s features, his eyes quizzically studying Jorunn as he spoke.

What was interesting was that the youth spoke of Charon – Eshe’s cousin. Apparently, Charon had been insulting them.. and it occurred to the regal that the pale wolf had known who he was even before their introduction.

He rumbled lowly, not speaking of having met the wolf already – and instead, his gaze drifted to Kaskara, who was quick to converse with the boy. “You will always have a home with us,” he reiterated, offering a nod of appreciation for the insight Jorunn offered them.

Now he would need to talk to Eshe and ask her if she might know anything else about this Charon fellow.

It was then that Kaskara looked to him, and he knew what she expected him to reveal. His gaze softened as his attention shifted from his sister once more, and his focus was instead upon the boy he had come to call son for so long. "Bazi is not with us. We're separated now." There was no point in trying to steer the direction of the conversation. It was only fair for him to know.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
“No,” Kjalarr assured Kaskara when she inquired if he'd joined the pirate pack on the coast that he kept hearing about. Caiaphas had mentioned it in a pack meeting, and further the leaders of Donnelaith had spoken of it when Kjalarr had joined Caiaphas and Vlad on their journey down to The Sentinels. “My leader was attacked by two of them and I would give nothing more than to return the favor in her honor,” Except if let loose upon them he would kill — ensure that they could not cause trouble for any more packs. There was plenty of pent up rage seething beneath Kjalarr's surface and he would gladly accept something, or someone he could set it loose upon. Both Kaskara and Scimitar reiterated that he was welcome in their ranks and Kjalarr appreciated it more than he could ever find the words to say. He loved them; dearly, and that was exactly why he could not bring himself to bring Charon's childish wrath upon them by joining them. Besides, he was happy in Saltwinter and though Caiaphas was the only wolf he really could claim to know (and his knowledge of her was thin due to her rather enigmatic aura) he liked her very much. “Thank you,” The Frostfurs would always be his family and he owed them more than he could ever repay them.

Kjalarr's eyes lit up with unspoken delight when Kaskara assured him that she, as well as her mate Kieran, were happy and that everyone was well and that if all went according to plan she would be welcoming little ones into the world. The Northman's smile was fond as it twitched at the corner of his lips. “I hope that you will, too.” He spoke to her quietly, thinking that she deserved happiness and little chocolate children pattering around her. 

Kjalarr's attention shifted to Scimitar when the only father figure he'd ever truly known (as guilty as he felt for betraying Ragnar like that), contemplative when he admitted that Bazi and him had split. “Oh,” Kjalarr spoke simply, unsure what would be the appropriate response; he wasn't so sure that I am sorry was it because perhaps it had been for the better. Scimitar didn't appear like he was in any sort of bad emotional state, Kjalarr observed; and he was innately curious as to what had caused the split but hesitated on inquiring in case it was to personal. He couldn't recall if he ever witnessed them fight or disagree on anything but he'd been too wrapped up in his own selfish concerns to bother to pay attention to what was going on around him. “How did it happen?” It was inquired softly, and allowed for Scimitar to dismiss it if he did not wish to share.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Feel free to skip me as needed.

Good, she replied to Jorunn, smiling at him. He wasn't part of that rogue pirate pack, and while she didn't know anything about his leader, Kaskara was sure going to help Jorunn's pack if they were ever attacked. She didn't say this aloud, for she knew her brother wouldn't be pleased with her. Was she getting soft in her old age? Kas didn't see anything wrong with taking allies, as long as they were vetted and as completely behind the allegiance as they were. It had been hard enough to get him to see the merits of allying with Saena's pack, but that bond had proved itself worthy when their pack was destroyed and they were forced to seek asylum with the white and orange wolf.

Kaskara smiled as Jorunn's face lit up at the prospect of pups, and his words and voice matched that tone. I hope you'll visit them often. They'll be your cousins, after all. Adopted cousins, but Kaskara didn't see the difference. Once a wolf was part of her family, it would take a heinous crime to rid them of that bond. As far as she knew, Jorunn had joined another pack out of necessity, and hadn't done anything heinous. So he was still part of her family whether or not he lived with them. When Jorunn asked how Bazi and Scimitar's breakup had transpired, Kas fell silent, studying the two men before her.
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Jorunn mentioned his leader had been attacked by the band of wolves toward the sea, and Scimitar released a gentle growl, his weight shifting. “If you and yours need anything, son, do not hesitate to call us,” he noted – even if it was simply him fighting, he would do his best to show to Jorunn that the boy had not been abandoned by the ones who did call him family. “Even if it is just myself.”

Of course, the conversation had fully drifted to Bazi now, and the male’s muzzle lowered somewhat, his gaze becoming more gentle as he studied the pale yearling. “Bazi and I had drifted apart long before we moved from Nova Peak,” he answered honestly, his shoulders lifting in a heavy shrug. He even still missed her – he loved her still, but not as a mate. She was still family.. but for now, she desired space.

But oh how he missed his children.

“We tried. We started to break apart when we moved the pack from the Grove – we considered ourselves divorced then. But we had another litter.. I could never call my children a mistake, but we should not have..” He paused, his eyes studying Jorunn, waiting for a reaction. “We agreed to raise them, just as we had before – but I took another mate, and Bazi was enraged by this.. She evicted us.” He released a gentle sigh, uncertain to what Jorunn would make of Eshe and this change. “So we have come here and laid claim. Pasha is also with us – I hope to send him back for a visit to his mother and inform her of our location.. so she knows where to find us when she is ready.”
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
“Of course I will,” Kjalarr murmured softly to Kaskara when she expressed her hope that he would visit her children — his cousins — often. “I wouldn't miss being apart of their lives for the world.” For a moment, in a wave of belonging and love he felt the comforting sense of family rise into his throat and cause his breath to catch — particularly when Scimitar called him son. It was no secret that Scimitar had filled the role that had once belonged to Ragnar, not out of disrespect for the deceased legend that had become a character of great reverence for Kjalarr, but because he'd became apart of their family. Because Scimitar — and Kaskara — loved him. This was what his biological family should have been to him: welcoming as opposed to hostile and insulting. Perhaps the truth was that the Frostfurs had set the bar for “family” too high for the disjointed and disconnected Ostrega/Lodbrok's to be able to compete.

“I am sorry that she evicted you,” but was he sorry they split? No, for how could he make the judgment on if it was a good or bad thing? “As long as you are happy I think that is what matters the most.” Kjalarr had learned the hard way that finding one's own personal happiness often left those around you with bitterness; but sometimes he'd learned, you could not always be selfless. Sometimes you had to be selfish for your own sanity. “Can I meet your new mate sometime? I would like to.” It seemed like a silly thing to ask of Scimitar, because Kjalarr doubted the answer would be no, but the viking found that he was extremely open minded when it came to “mates” and such and wanted Scimitar to know that he expressed interest in meeting the new Mrs. Frostfur. He didn't hold anything against Scimitar for doing what was right for him — and how could he? He'd made a very similar decision himself not too long ago. Different situations but Kjalarr could not at all claim that he was bothered by his decision.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Short post. <3

Kaskara understood her brother's hesitation, but was proud of him when he revealed the truth behind their break up. Scimitar could be quite a cold fellow, but this man before her was someone new. Eshe must be having a good influence on him if he was willing to share some of his own downfalls. Kaskara smiled between the two of them, pressing her muzzle against them in silent declarations of love, and sat silently beside her family, feeling whole once more.
1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Jorunn had taken the news well – but it was indeed Scimitar’s largest downfall. His second litter of children were strangers to him – and he could never admit them as a mistake, though he knew their upbringing would be far from normal. Bazi would do her best – she had doted upon their first litter.

Would another man take his place and raise his children? The thought had shadowed him time to time, and he was uncertain how to feel of it. If he and Eshe had waited.. perhaps when the puppies had been old enough, they could have had a choice. Yet, what good had that done Paarthurnax and her estranged ex-mate?

Jorunn’s words drew him from his thoughts, and a small smile pressed to his lips. “Yes – she would love to meet you,” he noted, knowing the words to be more than true. Eshe would consider the yearling before them family before Scimitar would even finish the introductions.. of that he was certain.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
Kjalarr took a moment to revel in the touch of Kaskara's muzzle to him, a slight tremble tearing through him at the affection the small and simple touch held. For a moment, he wasn't sure what to do with it, but he knew he did not wish to turn it away and returned it with a bump of her muzzle before she moved on to repeat the action to Scimitar. For a moment he watched them and felt something swell in his chest as he acknowledged that this family that could have so effortlessly left him for the Wilds to claim and kill him had taken him in and loved him as if he was one of their own. That meant much more to Kjalarr than he could ever convey in words. He was a Loðbrok but he was also a Frostfur and he was sure to never forget that. Part of it was probably why Charon hated him so much and his willingness to insult those that had raised him as one of their own was definitely some of the issues Kjalarr held with the Alpha of Moonspear.

“Perhaps next time I visit the introductions can be made,” Because providing nothing kept him at bay Kjalarr fully intended to visit them, as often as he could. “I do not wish to keep you from your duties.” But it had been nice to see them, especially after he'd been sure they had left these Wilds for good, and investigating his suspicions had proven to be the right thing to do.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

1,016 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Kaskara’s gentle sweeps of her muzzle drew a small smile to his face, despite his worry that he had disappointed the boy before him. Was he much of a role model? At one point, he had believed he could have been. His first days within the Wilds had him feel so – and yet as time pressed on, and the world had become more tainted, Scimitar was now a shell of the man he had initially set out to be. One who had left the she-wolf who had birthed him two litters for the love of another – and who had moved his family far too many times.

“You’re not keeping us,” he offered quietly, but offering a nod of understanding that Kjalarr would perhaps rather meet Eshe at a later date. He had no doubt that the youthful man would need to return to the pack he had pledged his loyalty to – his thoughts darkening at the thought that it had not worked out between him and his blood kin.  “Visit us soon, son,” he spoke, sweeping forward to nudge the white boys cheek in affection – despite everything, Jorunn would always be looked upon as their family.
per aspera ad astra
520 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Kaskara smiled at her brother's words and nudged Jorunn again. He's right, you know. You're never a bother to us. Kaskara smiled again, looking toward Scimitar. I think it goes without saying that you're always welcome here. Her gaze turned back toward Jorunn. If you ever have the need, join us. You will always be part of this family. Whatever had happened between Jorunn and his actual family was something that weighed upon her, and she wanted the young man to know that he would never be treated that way with them. Kas had a feeling he knew it, but it never hurt to reiterate. I'll let you know when you have cousins, alright? She smiled and kissed him once more before turning to head back into the territory, to find her husband and tell him of the good news.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
Kjalarr nodded sagely when both Scimitar and Kaskara spoke that he was not keeping, nor was he a bother to them. It was nice to know, and even better to hear but it was his general concern for them and mistrust of Charon that kept him from extending his stay. It's better I not linger, Kjalarr thought: even if it wasn't true. Their words — in particular Kaskara's “you will always be apart of this family” and Scimitar calling him “son” caused his breath to catch in his throat. His ears splayed back as he tried to process the overwhelming emotions that wracked through him — something other than jealousy or anger. There was none of that: only love. If Kjalarr were the type to actually say the words “i love you” he would have undoubtedly done so, but they were strange words even to think. Had there ever been a time he'd spoken them? He didn't think so; but that didn't make it any less true. He loved the Frostfur's dearly, and he always would.

“I will come visit when I can.” Kjalarr promised to them in return before he turned his back and paused to glimpse over his shoulder once before he headed back towards Saltwinter.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —