Larksong Grotto I know I would die if I could come back new
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
All Welcome 
With Reek's ranks filling fast, the alpha male no longer felt the need to stray from the bounds of his territory in the name of recruitment. But here, within the confines of the grotto, Reek felt there was so much left to do before his claim was ready to be legitimized. The borders were still weak and new; the caches, nearly empty. Lastly, he needed to dig a permanant den so he and Tavi had a better place to sleep than the crevice they had occupied for the past few nights. He had his work cut out for him, but with everything running so smoothly so far, Reek felt his operating on certain level of momentum— thus fueling his ambition and propelling him forward.

The cache was his first priority. He had sent Eslani to hunt and she had done well, but one wolf's efforts did not make a pack strong. They needed more.

Thankfully, the Larksong Grotto was plentiful when it came to prey. Its namesake, the birds and waterfowl that occupied the territory, were ripe for the taking. Reek was no bird trapper -- having never caught a bird in his life -- but seeing so many by the lake made him figure he had an ample chance to snag one for himself. From atop his lookout position on the ridge, Reek selected his goose and charged forward into the crowd.

Cutting through the flock, there was a chaotic clambour of squawks, honks, hisses, and gusty wing flaps. Reek's target took flight, escaping into the air as it flew to the other side of the lake. He could have swore it was taunting him as it went. Reek swore, no matter how long it took him, this goose would die as a matter of principle.

He chaced this particular bird for what felt like the entire morning. His legs were spent, but Reek prided himself on being a persuit predator, so he chalked the struggle between between bird and wolf as a battle of wills. Eventually... after chasing it across the lake several times, Reek took the goose in his jaws by the neck. With a snap, Reek emerged victorious as his nemisis hung limp in his jaws. In his excitement, he called for the master bird hunter herself, @Tavi, with a howl to share in his hard fought kill.
all you did will be undone
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Things were happening fast, but not fast enough. With the arrival of spring had been a rush of many changes, which seemed to include their dispersal — like it was fated to be, as if neither Reek nor Tavi had any control over the events which unfolded. Maybe she was just being hopeful. Distancing herself from what had transpired, or simply denying the connection that she had with her closest friend. Ever since coming to this grotto, Tavi had been different. She still needed the companionship that Reek represented, the feeling that spread through her body with his touch, but.. It was tainted, somehow. She resisted it. Her moods were infrequent at best; at times pleased to see him, and yet in other moments, fleeting moments, she was lethargic and moody.

Soon their claim would be set in stone, and things would change again. For now though, Tavi was in one of her moods — antsy, frustrated, and coasting about the territory as best she could given the rough-hewn terrain. It had been a day or so since she had last seen Reek, and as his howl echoed through the stonework of the grotto, she had half a mind to ignore it. With a long drawn sigh held briefly in her lungs, Tavi exhaled sharply and began to pick her way through the trees and rocks towards his position - unsure of herself in this place still, and unsure of him. Maybe it wasn't Reek she was wary of, though — maybe it was just her feelings she wished to keep at arms length.

Her route took her towards the lake, and she emerged from the shadow of the towering hillside to witness Reek's silhouette looming over the embankment. She slunk across the shale as carefully as she could, until the stone turned in to gravel, and then in to the loam of the lake's edge. The woman chuffed softly to him from his flank, wondering what exactly had Reek so excited.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Like clockwork, Tavi arrived; parking herself at Reek's flank. With goose neck still sandwiched between Reek's teeth, the corners of his mouth pulled upward in a proud smirk as he turned, craning his neck to regard her arrival. His jaws parted and the body of the goose landed limply on the ground before Tavi's forepaws with a sloppy thud. Apart from the goose's neck rolling outward -- blank eyes staring upward -- the goose remained dead still. "That's for you," spoke Reek, still panting from the energy he had exerted on snagging this single bird as he motioned downward toward the body with his muzzle.  

He knew bird was Tavi's favorite. Well, hunting them was, but Reek figured hunting them and eating them might as well overlap. "'Took me all morning," he continued, beaming proudly even though his offering could be considered by some to be quite meager. Reek was no hunter. Though proficiant with small game, birds were an entirely different story. "I think the litle bastard was trying to taunt me..." Back and forth he had chased it around the lake.

Reek's features soon shone with a smug smile. "But I won." He could have quit after realizing he well in over his head experiance wise when it came to bird catching, but once he set his mind to something, it would be done no matter how long it took. He would have chased that damn goose into the next century if he had to. "At this point, I think it's more symbollic than anything." He shrugged, lips parting with laughter.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
He dropped something at her feet, and it took her a second to realize what it was. The long neck of the goose sat crooked, but there was no mistaking the fat body. She was investigating it while he spoke, studying the feathers, even grabbing one edge of a wing and pulling on it - trying to figure out how big the wingspan was. After a moment or two of tugging, Tavi dropped the wing and watched it partially fold up.

It's a goose, she commented, her tone sounding almost surprised. They're aggressive little fuckers, so this is... Really good. Tavi didn't know what impressed her more — the fact he had fought a goose and won, or the fact he'd found one at all. There had been signs of other birds in the area obviously, but Tavi hadn't noticed anything to indicate geese. If we can keep catching them, our caches will be full of fatty meat. They're the biggest, best bird for the job. There was a little of her old spark, right there. Although she did not chow down on the carcass then and there like she might've in the Maplewood, Tavi was still thankful for the gift.

With a small smile tugging at the corners of her mouth, Tavi looked to Reek and plopped her head across his lower back, hooking her chin on to his dark fur. I guess you've graduated from a Bug-Muncher to a Fowl-Fetcher! Or a Goose.. Grabber. A small snort issued through her snout at that, finding both titles to be really awful. Reek would always be the Bug-Muncher to her anyway.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
From the moment Tavi began examining her gift, Reek was all smiles. Brimming with pride and high spirits in the wake of his victory, Reek let go and allowed himself to fully bask in the moment. He hadn't felt this way in ages— not since he called the maplewood home; especially not since he had been forcibly ejected. What he had here, however, was a chance to start over - both him and Tavi - this opportunity was not one he would soon squander by dwelling on what he had lost.

Tavi's comments further stroked Reek's ego. Geese may have been mean spirited (Reek now knew this first hand), but he had only snagged one bird. Of course, he was proud of his accomplishment, but a single foul did not a goose-grabber make. However, beyond the pride he felt about snagging this kill, the fact that he had brought back a familiar spark within Tavi made him happiest. "I guess I'm moving up in the world," the bug-muncher replied, happily twisting his neck around as Tavi moved in and made contact.

Sporting a playful grin and shrugging shoulders, Reek thoughtfully continued, "Still, I liked being Bug-Muncher." The nickname's origin had been a happy memory, one Reek would always hold on to. He still didn't see himself as much of foul-fetcher; bug-muncher just fit his persona so much better, he thought.

"I wanna dig us a den," Reek said after a quick beat. "You know, so we won't have to share our space with the rocks anymore." Anything would certainly be more comfortable than the ridge they had taken residence in since coming to the territory. With everything coming together with the pack's claiming, it seemed to be simply the next step.  "Maybe I'll find us a better Morty too."
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
They were both moving up, although Tavi couldn't see herself as a real leader yet. It had been hard enough to justify her rise in rank among the maplewolves, when she had been Beta - but now she was an Alpha. They were Alphas together. Reek had been one before, so maybe she could learn from his example; then again, he had banged the second in command, and Saena -- well, she'd mentioned that Reek had an appetite for that sort of behavior. Maybe he wasn't the wolf she wanted to emulate? But the woman put those thoughts aside for now. 

The goose at her feet was much more interesting. She grabbed at its neck next, lifting it and dropping it, lifting it and dropping it, and finding a certain level of entertainment in the sound the head made as it konked against the stones. That, and the flaccid nature of the goose's neck was a lot of fun to tug and play at. I wanna dig us a den, Reek suddenly added, changing the topic and catching Tavi's attention; her ears cupped forward, and she let the goose head plop one more time before shifting back from it and looking to her partner.

Not sharing with the rocks would be nice, they always left her feeling sore and stiff. The mention of the moose skull made her smile fondly, but that expression swiftly turned nostalgic and sad. I miss Mortimer. I miss that den — hell, we worked so hard on that. She breathed deeply, holding the dusty air in her lungs for a moment before exhaling. They'd worked hard, in general. And now they were destined to work even harder -- and for what? A tiny slice of space, so that Reek could see his kids on weekends?
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek didn't need to hear Tavi's changing tone to know of her attachment to her old den.  It had been an accomplishment - a major milestone - now lost to her forever. In fact, Reek felt a bit of a sentimental surge himself at its mention. He had helped her expand; promised her rooms, corridors, and towers. Though his foolhardy promises had ended up trapping them inside, consumed by darkness and with limited air, he still looked back on the memory with relative fondness. He would miss it too. He would miss Mortimer. However, here Reek could sleep beside Tavi without fear.  

"We'll build a better one," he proposed, much like the life he hoped to build here at the grotto; better than the last and beyond the mistakes that led them here. "This time, I'll make sure it has a ballroom." However, taking his cue from last time, Reek figured they should skip the parlor or else they may find themselves trapped a second time. Not that he was complaining.

"Hell— We could dig it right here!" He motioned to the side of the ridge lining the lakeshore. "Lake-front property Tav... That's prime real-estate. Perfectly fit for the Alpha pair!" Shooting her a smile, Reek waited for Tavi's input.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
The majority of the grotto was bedrock, so digging at all would have to occur in the softer areas. Maybe Reek was right - they could rebuild, dig out some kind of den alongside the lake. Tavi gave a shrug at the suggestion, rolling her shoulders. I'm up for trying, but that would mean finding the perfect spot, and then digging without accidentally flooding the den with water. The idea of waking up one day in a pit full of lake water was.. Sort of terrifying. Considering their luck with den-digging thus far, it was a justifiable fear. What if we didn't dig? Her ears perked as she thought of this, and her eyes went a little wide, bright and enthusiastic, like a bulb had gone off in her head.

We've got the grotto, right? Lets explore that and find the best room. No digging required! It'd be colder in the grotto, but they'd save time and energy by finding something rather than digging for it. As much as Tavi liked to dig, she had a nagging voice in the back of her mind saying not to exert herself too much. Maybe she was anticipating some backlash from their new neighbors — or maybe there was something wrong with her. She didn't want to think too deeply on it. Its like a fortress. I bet we can find a ballroom and a tower, and maybe, Tavi slides up close to him, and with a wiggle of her eyebrows she adds, - maybe even a sex dungeon.
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Not dig? Reek shrugged in response. There was something about a crudely dug den that appealed to him. For one, the process of building was always fun; Reek enjoyed nothing more than rooting around in the muck, mud, and dirt. What better excuse to get dirty was there than den building? Second, body heat was more readily availble within the close confines of a small den, creating a warm a cozy environment. Anything else tended to feel too cold and sterile to Reek, especially with the winter season that had just passed. However, with the cold fading away as the season changed to spring, the necessity of body heat was no longer as important.

Considering Tavi's suggestion to take residence in the caves, Reek became more receptive with every passing word. He had lived in a cave once, albeit briefly, alongside Saena. Even still, according to Reek's memory, those days in the rise in their waterfall cave were the best days of his life. Any attempt to do the same with Tavi would only feel as a pale imitation, but Reek wouldn't let this stop him from trying to move forward.

As she rattled off prospective rooms, Reek began to nod his head in agreement. There would be so much space for activities! And, once he had lined it with pelts and bones— a cold, sterile cave could feel like home. Pulling in close, the final words Reek's lover had to offer shot a shiver down his spine. Her Freudian Slip from their previous den building session had now fully come to fruition. "Sold!" he shot back, both brows raising as his expression lit with a wirethin smile. "Mind if we, uh, find that sex dungeon now? Or well... you know, after lunch." He motioned down to the goose beneath Tavi's feet, but Reek's mind was far from food.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
If anything went wrong, if anyone came knocking for them later down the road, they would have their fortress. Reek's acceptance was swift and clear, and Tavi was briefly elated by the happiness in him; then, as he suggested they start with the dungeon rather than something less interesting, Tavi let out a soft chuckle. I suppose... We could find the best room for that. But really, any of the cavernous rooms would've worked. Tavi grabbed the goose by the neck and began carrying it off, towards one of the grotto's many openings -- her pace quickened once she was on more even ground, but she didn't go so fast that Reek could not follow.