The Sentinels Did I ask too much
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
All Welcome 
The downside of letting the new souls reside inside you was the fact that they had a tendency to grow and occupy space, pushing around and cramping the internal organs of the poor mother in whichever direction possible. And thus limiting the food intake, which was a real shame... that was, what Osprey thought, looking at the bits and pieces mixed with saliva and yellow gastric juicees that she had thrown up a moment ago. She leaned down to have a sniff and perhaps eat at least half of it (because leaving it to rot would mean wasting a perfectly good food), but the smell that hit her nostrils was too much to bear and she began to retch again. 

"Devil's fingernails..." she sighed in resignation and walked away from the pool of vomit, choosing a spot, where the fresh spring grass had sprouted from the ground and began picking one strand after the other, chewing and swallowing. Needless to say that fifteen minutes later the grass-ball was on it's way to exit her stomach and landed on the ground in a rather unchanged form.
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
Hallo!

Newly welcomed into the fold at Donnelaith, Lucani picked her way slowly along the stream as instructed. She felt warmed and glad after her meeting with Lasher, and had every intention of proving her worth as best she could. But before she got to the healing den, she hesitated, a stinging smell harsh in the air. It was fresh vomit. Instinctively, she set about looking for beech leaves. It took a little while, but when she found one — ah. She gave a nod of satisfaction, gathered two of the rather shrunken leaves in her mouth, and began tracking down the patient by scent.

When Lucani found her, she was looking at a nice greyscale woman with some suspiciously damp grass in front of her. Excuse me, she said politely, dipping her head respectfully and presenting the beech leaves on the way down. My name's Lucani. I'm a new healer here, and I couldn't help but wonder if I might be of assistance...?
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Disgusting," Osprey murmured to herself, but surprisingly feeling a great deal better now that her stomach was entirely empty. And just, when she was about to turn and leave, she almost crashed into a kind-looking, older wolf, who asked, if she might be of assistance. "Umm..." she opened her mouth and then closed it again, not sure, what to tell or how exactly the lady could help. Even if she was a healer - pregnancy isn't a disease you can cure, is it? You just have to endure it and deliver in the end. 

"I don't know. Maybe?" she shrugged and sat down, since standing had become such a strain on her feet lately. "So... you were... Lucani, right? A new recruit, I presume," she scrambled together pieces of information she could use to start a conversation. "I am Osprey. Nice to meet you!"
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
She couldn't help but notice once again that it was nice to be around wolves closer to her own age. It made her feel more at home, though Lucani hadn't really known before today that such things mattered to her. She liked Osprey from the off, and was curious about her — though that was quite an ordinary reaction from Lucani, who desired to learn about almost anyone.

And you, replied Lucani warmly, giving an amiable blink as she dipped her head. Lasher hadn't mentioned Osprey as a leader of the pack, but as Donnelaith's newest subordinate she was quite inclined to bow her head to whomever she met. She didn't want to jump to conclusions about the grey female's condition, though she could make a good guess. But whether she was pregnant or not, there was a remedy for vomiting. Try these beech leaves if you'd like, she nosed them over to her new acquaintance. Chew them up well and swallow. They should settle your stomach, at least for a couple of days.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey regarded the leaves that according to Lucani would cure her a bit skeptically, not having much faith that whatever had to be chewed and swallowed would stay down. One quick look at their new healer told her that she should at least try - even if it was out of being polite. She smiled then and sighed resignedly: "I don't have much choice, have I? Right now I am willing to try just about anything."

She picked up the leaves, chewed them, while ignoring the bitter taste and the unusual touch against her hard palate and swallowed. There were bits and pieces that didn't go down right away, sticking to her gums and were quite annoying to get rid off, but eventually she did. "Want to take a bet, how long is it going to stay down?" she joked albeit sounding a little tired.
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
The tall female smiled lightly, but felt a little uncertain about all of this. Osprey was certainly amiable, and Lucani hadn't met her like in a long time (or at all, perhaps), which was a fascinating honour, but Lucani was so new and so physically weak... and if her beech leaves didn't work, she had to be realistic and expect a few frowns from her new packmates.

But she stayed as optimistic as possible, comforted by Osprey's good humour. Unfortunately, Lucani didn't have a sense of humour at all so couldn't rise to the occasion very well, but she did see fit to reassure her. I'm sure you'll be fine, especially once you've taken your mind off it. And plenty of water and rest too, of course... if your condition is what I suspect it is...? A hit or a miss, it could go either way at this point.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey sensed a bit of uneasiness in Lucani's tone and wondered, whether her joke had been that bad or had she unknowingly insulted the other. She didn't expect any cure for the nausea to work, therefore she would not hold it against the newly-appointed healer, if the beech leaves would end up in the sticky, slobbery, yellowish mass next to the ball of undigested grass. However she thought that because of the effort to do something good, she had to try and take the treatment. And pretend at least that it had worked. A little boost in confidence would work well for the healer. 

So, while Lucani spoke and asked her questions, Osprey picked up the leaves, chewed them and swallowed them in one take, wincing, as the uneven mass was sliding down her esophagus, causing an unpleasant ticklish sensation. Then it was gone, she licked her lips and turned to her conversation partner. "It depends on, what do you suggest," she said with a playful grin. "If you think that I am this all is fat from a very good life during the winter, then your are wrong. If you suggest that I there are critters inside, that weight like a ton and cause a lot of turmoil, when they shouldn't - then you are correct."
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
Normally so confident in her own identity, Lucani felt slightly uncomfortable at her own discomfort... but she ignored it, refusing to analyse it, preferring instead to turn all her attention on her interesting new acquaintance. Though she pointedly didn't watch Osprey eat the beech leaves, she was glad when she kept them down, and felt slightly more comfortable as a result.

Although she recognised Osprey as witty-of-tongue and sharp-of-mind, Lucani didn't really do "funny", so simply smiled at the reply, having no quip to give in response. But she could, at least, show her interest. A very warm congratulations to you, Osprey, she said genuinely. And then, knowing one should talk about oneself in order to relate to others, she added: I was so glad to find little ones at Donnelaith. And more on the way? That's marvellous.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Thanks," Osprey smiled back and nodded, though she did not really understand the concept of being congratulated for something that wasn't even that much of a success and hadn't taken that much effort either. But it was probably one of those things you just said to people and it counted as a common courtesy. And you did not question it - therefore she simply dropped the subject. 

"Nice to know that there are folk that are excited for kids. Babies are a lot of trouble in my experience and can't say that I am looking forward to the constant crying and bugging phase," she said with a shrug.
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
She hadn't met anyone who didn't think puppies a joy and a pleasure, though perhaps Osprey was right... perhaps the excitement was more likely to come from those who didn't have children. It was a smart observation on Osprey's part, and, oddly, one Lucani hadn't heard before. The tip of her lowered tail flickered lightly back and forth.

From that, my guess is that you've had children before, she dared to pry, courteous and curious. She knew Donnelaith was a family pack, and she was very much enjoying slowly getting to know that family — born and unborn.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Plenty of baby-sitting at the birth pack. And I once thought that I am done with babies for life..." Osprey mused out loud and then chuckled at the irony. Despite all the remarks of, how annoying she though toddlers were, in all truth she was looking forward to having them here and seeing them growing up before her eyes. The best part of the deal was, however, that she was not going to do it alone. Dante would be there for her and - she hoped - so would be the rest of the pack. 

"What about you - do you have already grown-up offspring prancing around the world and making all of the mistakes you told them not to do?" she asked in good humor.
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
There was a compelling little twist in the tale, that being that Osprey's parenting experience didn't come from being an actual parent. How interesting it would be, then, to witness her first steps as a mother (another reason why she hoped to become a friend of the witty female before her).

She smiled at the good-humoured nature in which Osprey delivered her question, but shook her head. No, I shan't have puppies — I'm not of a mind to take a male partner, she explained, honest and unashamed by her homosexuality. Others, like Gyda, would tolerate intimate interaction with a man in order to have puppies, but Lucani was not that keen to mother a litter.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Men are not everyone's cup of tea," Osprey replied after a little pause, which she needed to understand, what Lucani had implied, and hoped that her answer would be received as a sign of acception. When it came to choosing a mate, the elder was open-minded. Whether it was a man, woman, tree, holy spirit etc., whatever made you happy. 

"I will be cheeky, nosy and annoying," she began (and you can choose not to answer), "have any of the girls here caught your eye or are you still looking?"
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
Congratulations on Beta, so cool to see Osprey up there with Dante!

Lucani nodded at the comment about men, having never really discussed them as an ilk before. She liked men and she liked women. She just had no intimate interest in the former, while a number of the latter had caught her eye in the past. Not recently, though, and at Osprey's charmingly chummy comment Lucani was happy to answer truthfully. Neither, to be honest, and then paused before she went on to explain: I'm of quite poor health... Lasher was very kind to accept me regardless. But I think I'm a little too weak to court anyone at the moment.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: thanks!

When Lucani mentioned that her health was not good, Osprey looked surprised and in the silence that ensued, she took a good, long look at the lady before her. It was probably not the politest thing to do, but the elder wanted to understand, what had she missed in the beginning. And much to her disappointment she found nothing - aside from the fact that the wolfess seemed on the lankier side of the spectrum

"What is wrong exactly? Is there a way to help you?"
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
A small silence followed, and Lucani was not discomfited by it. It was a rather warm silence, filled with curiosity and concern, and the female stood it out with calmness. It was interesting to speak of her illness properly, for she hadn't since it had happened. Thank you, she said first and foremost, but I'm afraid I don't know. I suspect it was a poisonous plant from the mountain where I used to live. But I don't know what poison, or what plant, and I've tried most everything to get better — I've come to realise it'd take a true deity among healers to bring me back from this, she concluded. But I do know it's not contagious, and I'm confident I'm not getting worse.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"That is unfortunate," Osprey remarked, feeling that by saying "I am so, so sorry for you" she would insult her in some ways. In her eyes true healers were the sorcerer's of the real world. She had seen Blue Willow do miracles in the past and it had never occurred to her that there might be ailments that even healer itself can't deal with or cure. "What are the symptoms? And, how long has it been like this?" she asked, concern in her voice, while in her mind she went through her little knowledge of healing stuff and realizing that this was an effort in vain.
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
At this, she hesitated. Lucani thought highly of herself as a healer, and hadn't so much as had a sniff of how to cure herself, and had tried most anything under the sun. If an experienced healer couldn't do it, could Osprey? But hang on — there was nothing to suggest that Osprey wasn't an even more seasoned healer. And, what was more, Lucani had never dealt with plants by the ocean before.

Feeling slightly ashamed of her initial assumption, the grey wolf replied straightforwardly. It started a month ago, with fever, choking and vomiting, minutes after drinking from a puddle that certainly didn't smell contaminated. I was given something to quell the nausea, but over the next day an intense feeling of weakness and stiffness of joints settled on me, and it hasn't got better or worse since. My joints feel like they're full of sand, and I run out of breath very quickly.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"I wish I could help you," Osprey said after hearing the brief history of Lucani's illness and coming to the sad conclusion that nothing of what she knew was of use for the lady. She was reminded, however, of her mother's and father's last days, each one of them wasting away with every passing day, while the family could do nothing but watch their demise. 

"I hope that you get better though," she then added. "When I need to keep my mind off sad things, I tell myself a story. I don't say that this will help you feel either better or worsre, but it could do as a pleasant distraction at least."
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
Lucani was sad to see the regret in this emphathetic wolf's eyes, but she was filled with appreciation and warmth. Hers was a very complicated situation, and not worth pouring over here and now. Not when she still had so much to learn about Osprey. A story... she mused. This is lovely advice. But I'm afraid I'm not much of a story-weaver — I prefer to hear the tales of others.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Then you have met the right person," Osprey replied happily, although she felt a bit like a "show-off" for sort of making the other to ask for a story. She was about to say something else, when there was a sudden wave of pain coursing through her abdomen. She held her breath and winced, waiting for the moment to pass. Then things were alright again and she smiled at the packmate as if nothing had happened. "But before I tell one, let's go to the nest," she said, beckoning Lucani to follow her. "I would like a someplace safe to lie down for a bit."
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
A strange little flutter of relief occurred in her chest just then, and she couldn't quite pinpoint why. Perhaps it was because she wasn't comfortable speaking much about herself, and the idea of listening to her new friend tell a story was exceedingly more attractive. So she gave a nod, and a grateful smile, and stood slowly to follow the mother-to-be.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Before making the little journey her nest, Osprey stopped to pee - a puddle formed beneath her, soaking one of her feet. Once done, she lifted the foot, cast a look of disgust at it and, while stepping away, attempted to shake it. Of course, when you are a heavy barrel, then standing on three legs is not exactly stable and she nearly stumbled, catching her balance at the last moment.

"Horrible," she turned to Lucani to express her irritation and led the way. "I feel as if I am filled with heavy rocks. Just think - when the kids will be born, I will be featherlight - wind will blow me away easily."
a page ripped
258 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Medic
Though Lucani glanced away for her dignity, it was clear that Osprey was a first-time mother. She certainly seemed rather uncomfortable, and Lucani made a mental note to quietly check up on her from time to time. She knew Donnelaith had a strong medical population, but an extra set of paws couldn't do much harm.

She smiled at Osprey's now trademark wit, and replied sympathetically: If I were pregnant I'm sure I'd be no more happy with such uncomfortable changes. Perish the thought.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey was not a first time mother - this was going to be her second litter, but the events of last year were so painful that she did not like to remember them. She had also been very sick around that time and the fact that she had avoided the same disease this year, gave her a quiet hope that the kids would turn out to be alright too. After all they did an awful lot of moving around and kicking. 

"I think it just gets harder, when you are nearing your term. Otherwise I have been quite happy, thank you," Osprey replied. Her den came in sight and with the prospect of lying down comfortably giving her energy, she ran ahead of Lucani and settled down on her belly with her feet outstretched. "Now this feels good," Osprey sighed contently and wagged her tail. "Come and join me - you are very welcome of choosing the softest spot on the ground."