Larksong Grotto Some things are better kept unknown
If "Plan A" doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.
155 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Joining 
Tagging @Reek, but anyone can join!

The wiry male made his way along the borderline of Larksong Grotto. Zaavier had been wandering around the Teekon Wilds, taking his time to explore the area. Finally, he grew bored of it, and decided he'd better join a pack. This was the nearest one and honestly, he didn't give a shit which one he joined. He just needed to settle down and think. He needed a purpose, something to drive him forward. He hadn't had that since Laika disappeared.

He let out a low growl to himself. He was rather impatient and the time he'd spent here was a waste to him. No one was appearing. What was he supposed to do? Howl? He lightly thought of crossing the border, but right now, the consequences outweighed everything else. So he sat, thin tail wrapped around his bony fore paws. His rather large ears were perched at an odd angle, listening to the sounds around him. Gold eyes surveyed everything and he sighed as he narrowed his eyes to peer into the horizon.

Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
The time Reek would spend within the grotto after his first recruitment push would be short. The recruitment drive (and the search for Tavi that underpinned the entire operation) was far from over. However, Reek needed time to regain his bearing and to make sure his hold over the pack was still as strong as ever. His empire, while still waining in number, had not crumbled in his absence and would not do so if he were to leave again. He was confident in that, yet he still saw fit to remain behind his borders for at least a few days before setting out once again, just to hold down the fort with his presence.

He set out to the border to make sure the scent markers were tended to before he took his second trip away from the grotto. The territory, while small in comparison to the Maplewood he had once controlled, was still hard work to circle -- especially at Reek's limping pace. He had to go slow, but he wouldn't stop until the job was done.

It was evening by the time Reek caught Zaavier's strange scent lingering near the border. His slow, plodding motion came to a halt so Reek could sniff at the air. Someone was close -- too close for Reek to be comfortable. The hair on the back of his neck bristled and he set off as fast as his healing body would carry him.

He ascended the ridge that seperated the grotto from the southern territories and approached with tail held high and gaze hard like stone. "If you're not here to join this pack," he said, voice sharp, "then you need to go." If his intention was to join, Reek would hear him out... however, if he was lurking close to snag a quick meal from one of the caches, Reek wouldn't hesitate to bring his pack down on the stranger like a giant hammer.
155 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
The lanky male looked up to see the figure of a black wolf making his way toward him. Finally. Zaavier could tell he was healing from some sort of injury - he wondered what it was. The male stood as the black stranger approached. He shot him some harsh words, letting him know he was in no business for nonsense. Zaavier understood.

In a respectful manner, Zaavier lowered his head in a nod of greeting. "I'm Zaavier," he began, not daring to meet the wolf's gaze. He was no doubtedly the alpha, and Zaavier was determined to set this off right. "And, as a matter of fact, I am looking to join your bunch. I'm not the best hunter, but I can fair and I do have some knowledge of herbs and healing. I've also proven to be a decent fighter." He spoke with a slight edge to his voice. He was anxious as to see whether he would be excepted or not. 

His eyes trailed around the surrounding once more, taking it all in. It was a rather decent place, and there was bound to be good hunting grounds. Still, his eyes never went to Reek and once his was done surveying the area one last time, he let his eyes rest.  Hopefully the alpha had room and maybe even needed an extra set of teeth. That way, Zaavier could at least be put to work.

1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek made sure to communicate his intent that there was to be no funny business on his border. It seemed this Zaavier fellow got the memo as soon as Reek began to speak. His posture suddenly dropped into that of submission -- and with that, Reek closed the gap between them and began to sniff at the stranger so he could memorize his scent in case it was his intention to join the grotto.

That assumption, then went on the be proven correct. Zaavier wanted a home, just as the other wolf who had shown up on the border earlier that day. This one, however, was quick to showcase his own skills before Reek in the hopes it would make him more attractive in the pack's eye. At the moment, Reek really didn't care what the wolf could do. An able body was an able body.

Typically, always tested his new recruits. Usually it was a difficult task or a wild goose-chase. This time, Reek decided to keep things simple. Zaavier mentioned he had knowledge of healing, if that was the case Reek had just the thing. He motioned down to the poultice made of crushed onion that clung to his injured leg in the hopes it would stave off infection. The pungent scent was enough to give away the answer. "If you can tell me what I used for this," he said, waiving his injured forepaw in front of him, "then you're in."
155 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
The slinky boy nodded as he listened to Reeks words, noting every one. He let out a deep breath as he glanced nervously at Reek's injured leg. He stayed silent for a long moment, going over the pitifully small list of herbs and their uses in his head. He knew some, but not a lot, and Zaavier had been meaning to teach himself more whenever he had time.

His could smell the scent of onion on the male's leg, and Zaavier could probably mention that. But that was a dead giveaway! He had to say something else, something to catch his eye... What else could be used for this kind of wound?

"Well," he began, confidently and smoothly. "Crushing up onion into a poultice is one way..." He hesitated, straining his brain to the limit to remember the name of the herb. "And Burdock root can be used to keep infection away and treat infection if you already have one." 

He smiled to himself. Finally, he was satisfied with his answer, sure that he had at least gotten part of it correct. He looked up towards the alpha, still remaining in a respectful, submissive pose. His face held a look of both hopefulness and confidence.

1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
The potential recruit smelled at the onion poultice and soon had his answer. All correct: he even went on to elaborate more, adding in a little snippet about how Reek could use burdock root to help fight infection. To say the least, Reek was a bit impressed by the wolf's inclination to go above and beyond the call of duty with his answer. Perhaps this Zaavier could be molded into a proper healer. Maybe eventually -- once Reek was done with him.  

"Bingo," he replied, deadpan. "Welcome to the pack." While in time past, Reek would have perhaps been a bit more excitable when accepting a new wolf to the fold, but now his flat tone would have to do. "I don't have any burdock root, but that would have helped. Things have just been so busy lately, I haven't had much time to go out and collect herbs." As far as the herb cache went, Reek was running on fumes. He had been far too busy wallowing in his own sadness and self-pity to do anything about it. "Maybe you can help me out by taking some herb runs." Reek's shoulder's rolled forward in a shrug, hoping that the grotto's newest member would get the suggestion.

"But first," said Reek, motioning to the territory with his muzzle. "Let's show you around." He turned on his heel and started walking toward his territory. "Come. You can tell me about yourself as we go."
155 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Zaavier was able to let himself relax once the black male welcomed him in. Ahh, finally. He could stop worrying about things and be put to work! He nodded as Reek informed him that he didn't have any burdock root. Then he lightly mentioned the thought of Zaavier gathering herbs for him. He got the hint and smiled. 

At least he'd be able to learn more deeply about herbs while doing this. He was actually quite excited. Once Zaavier could prove he was worthy to the pack, the other make was more inviting, offering to lead him around the territory. Why not? He thought. He was going to be living here from now on anyway. Then, Reek asked if he would tell him about himself.

Shit. 

This was one of the only things Zaavier hated doing. He absolutely despised telling anyone about his past. Even though this may not be the intention of the conversation, Reek could eventually talk about his background. He chuckled lightly. "There's nothing much to tell. As you already know, I have an interest in herbs, but I could definitely learn more." Honestly, Zaavier himself didn't even find anything interesting about himself. "I'm pretty boring!"

He followed the male deeper into the territory of Larksong Grotto. The smell of the wolves who inhabited the place grew stronger with each step. They all smelled similar. Well, everyone but him. Hopefully his strange scent will soon grow mingled with the others. For now though, he'll be the "newbie." He chuckled slightly at the thought.

1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Reek did not dawdle around the outskirts, but instead guided Zaavier deep into the territory and toward the crystal blue lake that adorned the grotto's center like its crown jewel. He was proud of the place he claimed for himself -- the pride of which briefly overpowered Reek's sadness -- but his sorrow still lurked underneath Reek's prideful grin. He looked around at the beauty of the grotto and thought of Tavi. They had claimed this place together and Reek felt it would never feel the same without her. His smile broke and was quickly replaced by a taciturn frown.

He shoved this brief welling of emotion away as Zaavier began to speak. Reek did not want to talk much about himself. Instead, he wanted to listen to what someone else had to say -- like it would somehow be a distraction. It was obvious to see that Zaavier was deflecting. "Ah, come on," prodded Reek. "Everyone has a story." His own had been particularly sad and paved with poor choices, but perhaps Zaavier was one in the same and had his own reasons to not dive deep into his own history.
155 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Zaavier was quite impressed as the two came across the lake. It sate there like a brilliant jewel, it's surface shimmering as the sun's rays reflected off of it. He glanced quickly at the alpha, noticing a mix of sorrowful emotions wash over him. It was brief, and he had pushed it aside quickly, but Zaavier couldn't help but wonder why this place brought these kind of emotions to his surface. 

Again, Reek pushed further to hear more about Zaavier and the male fidgeted as they continued to walk. Ears twitched with discomfort as he thought of what to say. Thinking of his past brought up his own emotions and for a split second, his face was twisted with remorse. Once he had successfully pushed away the overwhelming feelings, he turned to Reek. "Let's just say," he began, "that it's a very long story, and I made some interesting choices when I was younger.."

Zaavier sighed softly as he gazed around at the beautiful grotto. He was lucky to be able to stumble across this place - especially because Reek was so different than other Alphas. Hopefully he could leave his bad choices behind.. Maybe let Laika become a happy memory...

1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Obviously, the other wolf was uncomfortable with opening up even further. It was clear to see in the sorrowful expression that made his face contort with grief. With his own emotional baggage to worry about, Reek could understand the discomfort Zaavier must have felt, so he pried no further. Reek had made mistakes of his own -- countless mistakes -- nor would he feel comfortable talking about them to a wolf he barely knew.

"That's alright then," he said with a friendly nod. They walked together around the lake until they neared the actual grotto— the cave that Reek had claimed for himself. He stopped. "Well, I'm going to leave you here. This is where I sleep— so, if you need me, I'm usually around here somewhere." Unless he was away on a recruitment run or searching for Tavi, he tried to be as much of a presence for his wolves as possible.

With the brief tour over, Reek bid the new recruit farewell and plodded off to continue his duties for the day.
155 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Zaavier nodded in relief as they walked together around the lake, eventually reaching the grotto that Reek claimed as his den. Zaavier nodded his own goodbye, smiling as he did. Other than that one part, Zaavier enjoyed his time with his new leader. "See you around hopefully? I'm sorry to say, but I may be around here quite often," he snickered. "But, if you need anything from me, holler."

Zaavier figured that Reek could do that whenever he felt like it anyways, but he decided to mention that as well, just to make sure. With one last farewell, the brute turned around and padded away from Reek's den, leaving him there to do whatever he had to do. Zaavier himself might go off and find something to eat, or maybe take Reek up on his offer to find some herbs. 

My last post, thanks Ryan! :D We have to thread with these two again soon!