Barrow Fields ancient wolves
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Private 
For @Grace!

While not one to explore or go adventuring, the boundaries of her temporary home were so loose that Shreya found herself picking her way down the mountain to have a look around. She crossed over the scents placed by packmates keen on temporarily claiming the place, and ventured out into a more open meadow. Her purpose was to sniff out some rabbits and report their location to one of the pack's studier nomads, like Spring or Casmir. But as she sniffed, the afternoon light making her grey coat look silver, she found herself looking at an odd mound sticking out from the grass like a grown-over molehill. Curious. A giant rabbit barrow, perhaps...?
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace had no idea what today would bring when she went out on her adventure. She assumed it would be just another hunt outside the borders like usual, and then shed be back. The little red yearling headed straight towards Shreya, more focused on the scent of prey than worrying who was around. In the very short time shed been away from the Phoenix wolves, not only has her mentality gotten better but she's filled out a bit too. It was clear she was thriving, and the light in her golden eyes made her happiness evident. The only thing missing was Esaro....
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
When a familiar scent caused Shreya to automatically rise from her explorations, she paused for a good long time before she believed what she was seeing. She blinked. Grace? Fancy that... she murmured with surprise, as her little ex-packmate padded towards her without a care in the world.
She Made Broken Look Beautiful & Strong Look Invincible. She Walked With The Universe On Her Shoulders & Made It Look Like A Pair Of Wings.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace didnt notice Shreya until her grey pelt came into view. The red yearling tipped her head and scented, but she was not expecting the elder here it it came as a shock.
     "Shreya?"
The excited yearling trotted awkwardly towards Shreya in her limping gait, smiling wide. It didn't come to her that she might not be alone, and that Saena surely wouldnt have Grace so much as within scenting distance of them.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Despite those patented scars, Grace looked in better health than Shreya had ever see her — when last they'd met, the girl had been almost crippled in her state of mind, but now she seemed jovial, bright... happy. I'm going to guess from your surprise that you didn't follow us out here, she said, sitting down comfortably and still smiling. You've settled yourself close by, hm?
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace's tail waved wildly behind her and the yearling nuzzled Shreya's shoulder gently. At least this Phoenix was happy to see her.
             "Yeah, I found Nova and she took me to Marauders Keep."
She was careful not to say where it was, not in the least willing to anger Warbone in revealing their home. She changed the subject to avoid such things, plus she wanted to talk to the grey female as much as possible.
                     "What about the Phoenixes? Have you guys found another home close?"
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Shreya gave the girl a little hug of greeting in return, resting her muzzle briefly on her shoulder before they did some good old catching up. Marauder's Keep? She'd never heard of it. But she noted the change of subject and didn't push for details — Shreya was no spy, and it didn't matter who was nearby anyway, as long as there was peace. No, we're on the road, but resting nearby for a while. So you found Nova? she asked, giving a nod to show she was glad. With your mum at your side and the troubles of the Maplewood behind you, you must be quite content.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace settled her excitement in worry she may annoy the elder, and placed herself down in her awkward lie down with her hind legs splayed to one side under her. As always, Shreya didnt pry and just accepted the details she got. It wasn't that she didnt want to tell her, because she did. She wished to tell her friend of the beautiful willows in which she lived, the soft ground and the calming scent, but just couldn't. She seemed happy nonetheless, and Grace gave a grin.
            "I must admit, I've never been so happy. I should be recognized as a full hunter soon, and a friend and I have found our own healing den."
She did worry for the Pheonixes though, for everyone she'd called friend and the ones even she hadn't really known. 
                        "I hope everything is okay.... I'm sorry for not coming with you all, I wanted to. I respect the hell out of Saena for what she's doing.... But I had to be with Nova. She saved my life and took me in when I had nobody in the world, not even myself."
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Although Phoenix Maplewood had been a place of happiness for many (including Shreya), and she had every confidence their next home would have similar potential, it had not remained in good Grace's good graces. And that was fine. She had found happiness elsewhere, in this Marauder's Keep, and Shreya was truly happy for her. No need to apologise — we're doing quite well, and you are too. Sounds like a happy ending to me, she concluded. But she couldn't help but ask — did Esaro end up at this Keep too?
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace was glad to hear that everyone was okay, but was sure there were still troubles. Weren't there some in each pack though? Eh, nothing to worry about.... She was a Marauder now, and needed to stop worrying about the Pheonixes. Her smile faded at the mention of Esaro, and her tail thumped to the ground in stillness. The last time she'd seen Esaro, things were a little tense but hopeful. 
      "He was roughed up pretty bad. I saw him the day I left, but that day he was... Well, he thought he was a burden to everyone, and nobody would be safe around him. I tried talking it out of him, but he ran off. I saw him a few days later though, and he seemed better. We hashed things out, but he's a lone wolf for now. Not sure where he went off to, but he plans on at least trying to join the Keep with me."
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
The thumping of that happy tail stilled, which told Shreya enough to be honest. But when Grace spoke, it transpired that things weren't so bad with that poor, foolhardy, well-meaning young fellow. She quietly hoped the Nomads would eventually settle far from Marauder's Keep, for any pack that took in Esaro would probably not be a great friend of theirs. It was all a bit of a shame.

I see I see, she said lightly. Will you do me a favour, kitten, and pass on my words to him?
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Shreya listened quietly, not looking all that surprised. Grace just wanted Esaro safe, even if it meant he wouldn't be with her. The red female seemed a little upset about it, but nodded at the elders request. She intended to pass the message, be it good or bad, though she had to admit she hoped it was good. Surely Shreya would see that his bad deeds had been an accident, all in good will?
       "Course I will."
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
She nodded her thanks, and readjusted her paws in front of her. I have three small pieces of advice for him, she began. One: a humble life can be a happy one. Shreya went on to explain — it's easy to be envious of great deeds, skill and power, but sometimes all you need for happiness is a good friend and a place to rest your head at the end of the day.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Grace nodded and kept her focus on Shreya, intent on keeping every single word locked into her mind until she was able to see Esaro again. Hell, maybe this would be a good little lesson for her as well. She didn't speak, just awaited the second and third.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Two, she continued, content that Grace was listening. The girl had ascended to a healthy and content state of mind, but it was broad advice and could apply to her too if she wanted it. Think carefully about all the ways your actions can be perceived, because not everyone cares for good intentions.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Again, the faded black female nodded and kept her golden eyes locked on Shreya. So far, yes, these were applying to her as well. It was nice to recieve words of wisdom from the grey elder, even if Nova was just as wise. She'd always liked Shreya.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
And three, her string of advice came to its grand conclusion, if you fancy someone, don't eat a lot of fish before speaking to them. Dating advice from an oldie was invaluable. Stinky fish-breath was not.
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
A soft giggle escaped Grace's black faded muzzle, and her golden eyes sparkled. 
           "Humble equals happy, think of how others will see your actions, and don't speak with fishy breath. Got it, Shreya!"
The russent female reached out to nuzzle the grey elders shoulder, but was not so keen to leave. She missed Shreya, and desperately wished she had hunted on the way here. She gladly would've given her the meal.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Having given her advice to Esaro via their mutual friend (advice that would hopefully one day meet him), the business was done and Grace cuddled up to Shreya happily. The old lady chuckled fondly. We should probably be on our way, kitten, she observed. You have a Keep to conquer, am I right?
363 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Shreya voiced the words she wasn't ready for, and a soft whine escaped her throat. However, Shreya was right. She had herbs to gather and prey to hunt, and Warbone would get worried if she wasn't home by nightfall. No need for the brute to come looking.
       "Next time, I'll make sure to bring you something!"
She joked with the older female, but loss was gripping at her heart. Would the russet yearling ever see the grey female again? Who knows where the uprooted phoenixes would settle,  but it was bound to be far from all their old troubles. Should she tell them of Tavis entrance of her home?.... No. If such information were to backlash, she could be in a situation similar to Esaros. 
                  "You be safe, Shreya. Tell Spring and Laika, and Saena, if she won't get mad, I said hello." 
With a final, longing nuzzle, Grace trotted off at her weird gate. Back to the homey willows and their stony protection.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Alright now, Shreya replied affectionately, but rather meaninglessly, and gave Grace an extra little lick on the top of her head before watching her go. She smiled when she saw how much more springy and happy the girl's walk was these days.

Then, when she was ready, she turned and roamed back to her pack, the mysterious hillocks quite forgotten.

Thanks for the thread, Raven! ^__^ Tagging @Saena, @Spring and @Laika - if Shreya sees them behind the scenes (likely), she'd let them know that she bumped into Grace in neutral territory east of the Ridge, that Grace is happy and well in a pack called Marauder's Keep, and says hello. :)