Black Morass a little more falls apart
21 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Random Event 
There was no sound. No chirp, no croak, not even the trill of the bugs which were always singing to the sun. Mortar did not know what to make of this strange emptiness because he had never faced it before. The world was always loud, always vigorous with life, except something had changed while he was asleep - he didn't like it. The beast was oblivious to the cause (and truly not thoughtful enough to explore the possibilities himself); so he went on with his day.

The usual routine was easy to follow. He had pulled himself from his slumber and trudged in to the valley and away from his mountain home.

By midday he was up to his shoulders in the mire. The familiar dampness helped to cool his dark body, as the sun had baked him, and his slow but sure pace had worn him out. His hunger was great, so Mortar headed with certainty through the morass in search of anything that could fill the pit of his stomach and with the absence of anything small to chase down (which he was far too lazy to do anyway) he sought his favorite berry patch.

Except when he finally pulled himself from the mud and wedged himself through the narrow passage between the trees and found himself dead-center in this patch, he surveyed it, and saw that it was barren. The befuddled expression on his massive head spoke for itself.
Eta
I'm falling, so I'm taking my time on my ride
187 Posts
Ooc — Thalia
The bear looked- upset? Afraid? Hungry? Althaia truly had no words for the expression she saw on the bear's mighty face, probably since she had never seen a creature such as this one, though she had certianly heard stories. And now, awaking from her slumber under the tree's she watched the bear with horror- he stood between her and the narrow path into the thicket. For now, she was hidden, but that wouldn't last long. 

Shaken, she nervousy stepped away from the tree's facing the lumbering bear. She made a tiny noise in the back of her throat, quaking with fear. She stilled, and chuffed in what she hoped the bear discerned as friendley. Oh, she was screwed. This bear was going to eat her, and then she would never be able to find the pack she longed for. "Umm- um...good evening?" she squeaked.
21 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
The bear didn't understand the lack of berries. He wanted berries. Berries were supposed to be here. Berries were not here. Where were the berries?!

He huffed in frustration. No meat, no berries, no nothing in this god-forsaken land. He was hungry, and this meant he would need to travel further, and exert more energy to find food. He would eat just about anything, and that should make it easier to for him to find food, but it didn't, at least not in this famine.

A motion caught his attention and his large head swayed to see what it was. Another wolf. His body followed, and he faced the thing fully. She looked just as scared as the last, and would probably run just like her, too. They always ran. He debated on chasing her, but figured it would be a waste of energy that he could not afford. 

He chuffed at her words. What was good about it? Food would be good about it. But, there was no food. Good for you maybe, he said, his grumpiness apparent in his voice.
Eta
187 Posts
Ooc — Thalia
Althaia blinked. It spoke! It sounded a little grunpy, however, and she woundered why. Gathering what she knew about bears, which was little, she reembered that they slept all winter. Something called... habitnation? Habernation? She didn't know the exact terminology, but didn't care. She was quite glad the bear had spoken instead of eating her face. She laughed, half nervous and half in dry humour. "I very much doubt this evening is good for anyone, Sir. Bear- everyone here seems to be starving."

Sorry for crappy post- on my phone :)
21 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She laughed. He didn't like laughter. He liked food. Yes, and I am no exception, he replied, taking a few steps forward, his nose to the ground. Was there anything hidden under the destroyed soil? His nose rutted around, looking for anything edible. The good thing about his stomach is that it would take just about anything. Insects, fruit, vegetables, meat, etc. Except bark. He tried that once. He didn't like it. Oh, and fish! Surely, they were still around! Hey, where's the nearest watering hole? he asked, figuring he could head that way and do some fishing.

No worries!
Eta
187 Posts
Ooc — Thalia
His next words worried her, and she took a step back. Perhaps it might be a good idea to leave, and soon. He stepped toward her, and she tensed, but then he asked for her help. "I passed a river earlier, to the north-east of here...that way." She pointed in the direction with a flick of her muzzle, trembling ever so slightly. "I'm sorry, Mr. Bear, but I should go..." 

Althaia took off, nervous energy powering her as she darted away past the bear. She ran for a good ten minutes before slowling, panting and lingering fear. She was glad she had made it out of there then, she did not want to be eaten.
Thanks for the thread!