Hushed Willows know the differences between the walkers and the sleepers
all you did will be undone
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
All Welcome 
Tagging for visibility. Feel free to invade!

It had only been a week since her son had been born, but it felt like far longer. Octavia felt an ache in her body from laying on the cold stone floor, hitting rocks in the dark as she shifted around Tambourine, or simply the plague of hunger which had begun to intensify. She had enough weight upon her body to keep herself going for a while - thank biology for that - but she still worried for Tambourine. It irked her somewhat that @Warbone was nowhere to be seen, or smelled. He had not come to visit her or the child since his birth, and his lack of presence was keenly felt. Idly she thought, Reek would've been more help, but she held her tongue; there was no point in speaking such a thought aloud when there was nobody to hear it. Not even Tambourine could hear her, as his ears were still folded shut; his eyes would not open for another handful of days, and so they persisted together in the darkness.

Octavia had learned from her first foray out of the caves that she could not leave Tam for too long. Aside from the act of adventuring being incredibly selfish, it was also very dangerous for the newborn. And if she were to return to Tambourine being held by another warm body aside from her own, the Alpha had no idea how she'd react. The first time had been a bit of a shock — she had likely frightened the elder woman in those frantic moments — and though she hoped it would not happen again, Tavi also knew she would never apologize for being so protective of her son.

But oh, she wished to taste the sweet, clean air of the outside world. The smell of the whelping cave had been intense at first. Now she was nose-blind to it, except for when @Tambourine made his little messes, and she was faced with cleaning things up in the dark. With a sigh and a grumble she shifted her weight, pulling the boy towards her belly so that he may suckle, and watched with tired eyes as he wiggled about. Thus far, motherhood wasn't exactly what she had imagined — but it wasn't too far off the mark either. She was sore, tired, lonely, and growing worse by the moment.
A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark is getting a bit more confident around the pack grounds. He still hasn't met the other Alpha but he knows a few of the wolves - Trick, Kunik, Grace. He's headed back in with part of a fish from their little fishing group's grand attempt when he diverts from the main room and heads back towards the little hollow that has become Octavia's. He'd promised before he filled his own gullet he'd do something about hers, his sense of self preservation going right out the window when it came to the new mother. 

"Octavia?" It's a quiet little sound, equally muffled behind the small fish he's carrying and still his fear of an angry Alpha and mother. He doesn't want to wake the puppy (he still has no idea how old Tambourine is and he's really bad at guess with children) so he tries to be quiet especially since he isn't sure if Octavia herself is awake or not.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
A noise sounds off within the heart of the crook, and she lifts her head with surprise; it isn't Arkham's gruff voice, and it isn't feminine, which left few others. Unable to get without disturbing the hungry boy at her side, she imply let out a small chuff towards the corridor that connects her make-shift den to the gathering place.

The scent of fresh fish wafts her way, and while it is quite strong, it is a boon to the new mother. A reprieve of all the other aromas associated with the dark pit she has sequestered herself within. Her belly rumbles next to Tambourine's head and she, eager to see who it is but mostly interested in whatever the gift might be, strains to see the figure through the dark. Since Tambourine was occupied with feeding, she felt she could at least be a little louder.

You can come closer. He's awake. Her instincts told her not to let this stranger near, but he brought something valuable, and food was more important than her own pride at this point; Octavia's fur bristled unwillingly across her flank although he might not see it, and she tried to quell the unease in her heart.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
With the fishy scent in his nose and the salt water spray still clinging to his legs Stark didn't notice much of the other scents filling the little den. It was probably a good thing too, it would leave more questions than answers for him and he didn't need to bring up the type of wounds that Octavia was probably carrying from her whelping. Stark waited until she told him he could come closer, his eyes adjusting slowly to the dark at least enough to see the mother and the little bundle of fur at her side.

As he had before Stark laid the offering down, giving her the fish. It was little more than a sardine, not enough to sustain her much but he figured anything was better than nothing. "He's a cute little thing," He murmured quietly as he stepped back, giving them both room to be more comfortable. He didn't want to crowd her in and she was being polite enough to let him near in the first place. "Grace and Kunik went with me to try fishing. We managed to snag a few, although it wasn't the best attempt. I think I'll keep at it, though." He explained in regards to his offering. It was also a thanks for letting him in - she could have sent him on his way, after all. 
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
[Image: gamekeeper.gif] 3/5
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
His comment was met with a shy smile, a rare occurrence for the new mother. Since finding herself among the wolves of the keep, Octavia had felt out of place. Her usually obnoxious, defiant self had been wittled down by too many days of hardship and stress. The child presented new challenges as well. She was left with little energy and, being stuck in the cave all day every day, her sharp-tongued wit had faded with disuse. It may have felt strange to have this new recruit so close to Tambourine (and so close to her in this stage of motherhood), but Octavia was greatful to have his company.

When he went on to explain the fish, she lowered her head slowly and grabbed for it, pulling it close to her nearest paw, and lay her digits across it as if to lay a quiet claim. Thank you. I appreciate it, even if it was a tiny fish, she was thankful to have it - for Tambourine's sake.

After a beat she licked her lips and tried to continue the conversation, clearly rusty: Did you... Enjoy it? The fishing. I hope nobody gave you a hard time, then again, she didn't imagine anyone in the pack would do such a thing. They all seemed pretty content around here, from what little she knew of them. After a moment of thought Octavia realized she knew next to nothing about her own pack — just like with the Larksong wolves, they were all here for the Alpha Male, and not for her.

Except Stark here, of course.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Stark could imagine the sort of change that came over someone when they had a kid. Since being present for awhile he realized that Octavia was single. Not that he was eager to take on a kid or anything but it had in a way become his mission to just check in. He wasn't beating down her door by any stretch of the imagination but he liked the thought of taking her into consideration in his day to day life. He owed her that much, he felt. Since he wasn't gonna step on anyone's toes he didn't feel out of place doing so.

"I'll try and bring more." He promised, licking his lip to get the taste from his mouth. He hadn't been partial to fish, but, it was something that a loner could drum up more easily on his own. "Oh yeah, it was pretty decent. The girls were fine enough company." Stark said with a small smile. He'd ran into Grace twice already, and each time she was pleasant enough. "I mean, I'll be tugging tangles out of my tail for a few days with all that salt water, but, hey - it was worth it." Stark said and grinned. "I hear the beach-blown curls are gonna be 'in' this year." He quipped. 

Of the wolves of the pack so far he was naturally most drawn to Octavia, given that she had accepted him without much cause. He didn't pity her, not at all, considering her determination and devotion to be strengths. He could only wonder if he'd met her two months prior what she might have been like. Maybe he would have followed her from the start still. 
i grew a human and unfortunately as a horrible side effect lost an organ - as such will be slow from time to time.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
He didn't seem to notice her social awkwardness, or maybe she wasn't awkward at all? Maybe it was all in her head. Being cooped up with one child (and a dead on in the corner that she kept well hidden) could do that to a person. Hearing about his day was a highlight indeed. She found her mind wandering as he spoke, though, back to Reek of all people — had she been in the grotto, maybe this would have been their everyday routine. She wakes up at the slightest disturbance in Tambourine, accepts visits from the father of her son, they talk about the day as if he's been hard at work and everything is idyllic —

but it wasn't. None of that was real. She was here, in a cave, and her only friends were a broody Alpha who appeared to have vanished, and this dark-pelted stranger that made her smile. Instead of hearing about Reek's day she was listening to a stranger talk about fish; it wasn't bad, not exactly. Octavia felt a slight tug in her gut reminiscent of jealousy when he mentioned girls, but put that to the back of her mind as quickly as she could.

To cover for the strange sensation, she tried to be witty. Well shit, you've just gotten here and you've already found yourself a harem. A crooked smile slipped across her face, a little forced, but the warmth there was genuine. If you're not careful you'll have Warbone on your ass, and not in a good way. But she was only joking. There was no real way of knowing how Arkham would react to the dark man's presence - and Octavia couldn't promise anything.

Just as she was opening her mouth to add something more uplifting to the conversation, she felt a nip to one of her teats, and turned sharply to adjust Tambourine. His zeal to be fed was getting on her nerves, even without teeth.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
God, what a domestic life that would be. He'd come home, say hi to her and the kid(s), put his kill down for her to do with it what she pleased. Stretch out, take a load off from the day of scouting and trekking about. Of course, Stark had every expectation of what a shit father he'd be - while Curran hadn't neglected him he had always felt he was second place to Captain. Maybe even third place, because while Banner had her temper she was brilliant in a way that rivaled Stark's thinking process. Maybe moreso because she could adapt to other people's thinking styles more quickly than he could. He was not so domesticated, however, and instead was just trying to do what he felt was his duty. Octavia couldn't go out on her own, after all, even if she wanted to.

"Yeah, but it'd just mean a string of broken hearts I'd leave behind me." He said with a little chuckle. The notion of settling down was almost alarming to him - he didn't expect he'd make a good enough mate to be worthwhile to someone. "Think maybe he'd split the difference with me?" He asked with a teasing grin. "Not that I've met him, but usually most guys are after one thing or another. Maybe he's an ass man. I like a girl that can keep me on my toes." He answered honestly. He was a sucker for wit over all else - maybe a pretty pair of eyes, but humor was what kept him going.

He swallowed back a grin when Tambourine caught his mother's attention, all but demanding from her that she focus on him for a moment. "You guys really get the raw end of the deal. We just get the fun stuff - you get all the uncomfortable feelings and eventually, the back talk too." 
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
While she was a tad distracted, she did hear him, and between her own sounds of mild distress were some half-hearted chuckles. Once Tambourine was put right again, Octavia could focus once more on the dark man. He served as her sole entertainment, as she wasn't exactly thrilled with motherhood or over-the-moon about her son at this point. If she'd been a human, someone would've prescribed her some sort of drug to combat that rising tide of postpartum depression.

She latched on to the conversation as if she were trying to cling to a life-raft in the middle of a freezing ocean; hopefully he wouldn't sink just to save her ass, though. It's totally unfair. Octavia drawled, adding enough inflection to make herself sound like a whining teenager. I mean, you guys get to stick yourself in someplace, have your fun, and you're done. Us ladies have to get fat, carry god knows how many little dudes, and then somehow keep them alive. It wasn't until this point that Octavia clued in to her rambling. It might have begun as a jest, but by the end of it the truth rang clear to her, and she felt the sudden prickling of tears at the corners of her vision — so she feigned another pinch, and hoped that she turned away from Stark fast enough that he wouldn't notice the abrupt shift in tone and mood within her.

Octavia had birthed more than one child. Any normal woman would have had a full litter, but she had been blessed with two, and only one had lived. Perhaps it was too soon for her to joke about it, because she couldn't even face Stark to continue their banter, and had to pretend to sniff at Tambourine in order to hide her very real, very serious sadness.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
Maybe it was in Octavia's good fortune Stark had spent the last six months alone. If she was awkward, he didn't notice it, and her quick scrambling into the conversation wasn't noticed. Her explanation of the process and the children did make him chuckle, though the pup gave her another nip it seemed and Stark tilted his head before he sank slowly to his side, back towards the entrance of her little nook. 

He didn't notice her sudden sadness and couldn't guess that his comments might have been a little...ill timed. There was no way of knowing, after all, how many pups she had birthed although he had assumed that Tambourine was the only one to make it. He knew each litter his mother had produced had multiple pups, after all. "Some getting more favorable seasons to do it in - yours should have been perfect, but the damn bugs ruined it." Stark lamented. "He'll appreciate you more, for it," He added softly, looking the pup over as his mother tended to him. "I don't doubt there's a number of folks who will be there to help make sure he does."

It was then he noticed the grounds were fairly lumpy, not as smoothed and well worn as the other areas of the Crook. "You should get a decorator in here." He hummed out. "I'll see if I can find an old fur anywhere - maybe make it more cozy for you and Tambourine." 
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
He seemed distracted for the time being so Octavia took a moment to compose herself, blinking away the blur across her eyes, using the shadows to her advantage - for a moment she was thankful that she had Tambourine, because he was taking all the attention. Except that she wouldn't be in this sad state if not for him. Knowing that she blamed her only child for her own misfortune put a new spin on things, and she had to hold back a tiny sob; her shoulders quaked though, perhaps noticeably.

You should get a decorator in here, he quipped, and before he could mention any decorating tips, she was shifting uncomfortably - paws on Tambourine to bring him along - and looking suddenly alert. As much as she'd enjoy having a pelt to lay on or toys for the boy, or anything else that would improve her quality of life -- Tavi was nervous about the potential discovery of what she'd done with the other child. He had been dead, though. Gone. Of no use. She had only his skull left and the smells of the other child's rotting remains would have been overpowering had she not hidden them.

M-maybe, she agreed, although did not sound keen. Its pretty tough to get comfortable in here. I guess its not a big deal though, Tam is pretty small. She didn't need anyone prying, especially if it meant showing off what was left of her half-eaten firstborn. Her stomach gave a gurgle at that point, and she eyed the glinting fish. Oh, I guess I should eat that - before it gets too old. Cold fish is pretty weird, y'know..
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
He did notice the shake to her shoulders, tongue shifting across his lips this time in a bit of unease. He wasn't sure what the cause of her discomfort was - and he hoped earnestly that it wasn't his presence - but it didn't mean that he didn't care. For a moment, he wasn't sure how to address it. He didn't really know her after all, he'd just gone hungry for a couple of times. No big deal. Not in a famine. 

The quiver in her voice only made him suspect more of her feelings in that moment, and the Marauder kept his eyes downcast for a moment, focusing on the tiny little pup who seemed quite pleased at his mother's side. She was close enough that Stark could reach out and nudge one slender leg, near enough her ankle where maybe it wasn't too outlandishly forward of him. "You're kinda awesome, y'know that?" He blurted out suddenly - god why didn't he have better control over his mouth when he was uncomfortable. "I mean, the whole mom thing. It's amazing." He needed to stop talking. Quickly. 

Her stomach was the easy out for both of them it seemed and he gave a little nod at the notion of her eating as he straightened himself back out. "Please do." He said encouragingly. "I'll keep trying, see if I can't find anything...y'know. Better." 
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
omg! #400 wowowow

Octavia was struck soundless for a moment, and merely stared up at Stark; she had no response for his compliment, which was also not her norm. Nothing about this situation was normal for her. He did focus on the fish a moment later and together they muddled through the unease which apparently swept them both. His repeated offers to make things better were heard but she didn't reply, didn't outwardly acknowledge them, and began to strip away the meat upon the small fish. Whether he stayed or not, Tavi easily picked apart what she could of the fish and was left cleaning her muzzle and limbs of blood after a few minutes.

The last time she'd had anything fresh like this was just after the birth of the litter - so while the meat was a delicious and savory thing, the metallic taste of blood reminded her of her that disgustingly primal moment wherein her child became her breakfast, and she suddenly began to choke on the flavor.

After a small fit of coughing Octavia spat out a chunk of tail which had inadvertently found its way in to her throat, and wheezed a breath, feeling her living son squirming by her belly unhappily. Whatever had just happened to mom, he wasn't pleased at all. It took her some moments to get him settled, and when she looked up again, there was no telling if the dark man was there still, or vanished among the shadows of the cave.
707 Posts
Ooc — Sonia
Ambassador
She didn't respond, which was probably just as well. It left him the chance to just shut up for a bit and to also clear out of her personal space and that of her child's. Stark did offer her an encouraging smile and a dip of his head, even a brief moment of interaction with her to check up on how she was doing was good enough for him in that moment. With the taste of fish out of his mouth and the taste of foot replacing it Stark backed up to the edge of her little den. 

When Octavia finally tore into the fish Stark took that as his sign to leave, heading out of the Crook to rest out front and start working the tangles from his tail as he'd mentioned before. He was a bit vain in that regard, but, if he was working with his mouth it meant he couldn't say anything else outright foolish like he had with Octavia.