Silver Creek The deal we made a thousand years ago
I promise I will love you forever.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
All Welcome 
Tagging @Shreya! Laika's got a surprise for you! <3

The silver she-wolf padded through the thickly placed trees surrounding silver creek, the decent sized trout dangling from her jaws. Her mouth watered as the fish's taste seeped to her tongue, causing her pitiful stomach to beg for more food. No, she told herself. She had to get it to Shreya! She bursts into the clearing that held the trickling Silver Creek, and looks around. That wolf's got to be around her somewhere!

She continued on, plodding through the creek and walking back into the forest, trying the best she could to search for any sight of gray fur, or any smell of the old she-wolf. She wanted so badly to repay her for how she helped, and just to get her some food in general.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
So cute!

Shreya lapped up a few more gulps of water to still her aching belly, then continued her border patrol. Yep, the old lady was doing border patrol. Oh most certainly she was probably the least fit wolf in the pack, but she was intent upon doing her bit. These were not times of solace, she could not afford to curl up safely in the territory's core as she had at Phoenix Maplewood. But she took it easy, preserving her strength and not pushing herself too hard, and Laika's presence came as a welcome interruption. She sat down almost immediately.

Hello Laika, she said with a smile. She liked the girl. Shreya pointedly did not look directly at the fish lest she weaken, but did comment on it. Taking good advantage of the Creek's wealth, I see, she observed approvingly.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika was thrilled to finally find Shreya, and the silver woman sat down as well. She dropped the fish and pushed it over to her companion with her nose before she spoke. "I caught it for you! And actually, I was exploring with Spring and we found the big pool teeming with fish over there." She tilted her head in Shadewood's direction, pride shinning in her eyes. 

She nudged the fish towards Shreya once more, making sure that she knew it was for her. Laika was skinny, but Shreya was skinnier. She needed strength more than Laika. Her blue eyes watched for the old wolf's reaction as her own stomach grumbled. Oh stop! She told herself. I've probably had more food than she has at this rate.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Congrats on Delta! Shreya so proud. :3

Inappropriate though it was, Shreya felt it was a bit of a shame that Laika reminded her slightly of Esaro. He had been a very well-meaning boy, full of goodness and good intention, and was totally the type to bring her a fish around a grin. But these days Shreya thought of him in past tense, not being optimistic to think he was safe and sound with Grace in Marauder's Keep.

She had to remind herself, though, that Laika was not Esaro. Sadly for him, she seemed to be settling in far better than he had, despite being just as lucky in her friends. Either way, Shreya would have preferred to judge Laika based on her own identity alone, not comparisons. So she made an active effort to do so, and smiled warmly at her offer. You're a real dear, you know that? I'd love a bite of fish, she admitted gratefully, not proud enough to turn it down. Share it with me, though. You deserve a prize for your find.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika smiled again, tail thumping against the ground. The she-wolf had already eaten today, but she agreed with Shreya. There was no point in arguing with her anyways. She took a small portion for herself and pushed the rest towards her companion. "I've already eaten today. You need it more than I do," She uttered her explanation for taking such a small peice. 

She ate her part in just a few bites and she reclined on her belly, letting out a sigh of relief. It had been a long day and she was ready to rest. Her eye lids begged to close but she kept them open for the time being. She wanted talk to Shreya -- it brought her great joy. 
lol, Laika says thank you! <3
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
:3

People like Laika brought out the best in her. Bright, youthful, energetic, and — most importantly — keen to listen and to learn, this kind of wolf was very easy to be around. Certainly not about to argue further, Shreya gave a chuff of gratitude and tucked in. Ooh, it was delicious. Fresh, meaty, still wet from the river. But she took her time, and after a few bites rose to inspect the faint outline of her ribs.

What do you think — did it work? she joked, referring to the idea of the fish making her put on weight instantly. Am I all buxom and curvaceous now? Still smiling, she sat down again. I tell you, Laika, when I was your age I had a bottom the size of that mountain, she nodded off to the east at the looming spectacle. Took a lot of fish to get that way.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika playfully glanced at Shreya's sides, checking to see if she had gained weight. "I'm afraid you haven't." The silver wolf couldn't help but let a light laugh slip from her vocal cords. "As big as the mountain, eh?" She said in between laughed. "I just can't imagine you like that." Laika honestly couldn't. She was so used to the slim -- and nowadays lanky -- Shreya that gave her all the best advice. 

Short short short.... :c
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
The old girl gave a toothy grin at the response to her lark, then helped herself to another bite of the fish. So, she said once she'd swallowed. I remember our deal. A bite of something to eat, for a touch of mentoring if you fancy it. So tell me: is there any advice or knowledge that you're in need of today? Oh Shreya didn't possess all the knowledge in the world, but she could certainly advise how to seek it.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika thought for a moment. For some reason, one thing popped into her brain. She couldn't tell why, but it did and she wanted to expand her skills in this field. "Well..." Laika said slowly, "it wouldn't be bad if you have me tips on how to me a good leader." 

She was baffled at why she needed this but she went along with it with a shrug. At some point in her life she probably would need it, so why wait to learn? She scooted closer, eager to hear what the old wolf would say.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
The subject was set, and Shreya gave a thoughtful little nod and glanced away briefly to have a think. This would be an interesting one. She didn't question Laika's specific ambitions (she knew the girl was keen on promotion), and believed that anyone could be a good leader, regardless of rank.

You may know this, but being a leader is not about you, it's about the people you're leading. Their needs, each deserving of your attention. So — what things would you say all wolves need?
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika listened to Shreya with pricked ears, sucking it all in like a vacuum. Shreya was not only lecturing this time, but she was interacting with Laika; quizzing her on things. She liked this. Her tail thumped upon the earth as she looked at her paws for a moment, taking some time to think. Well, what do all wolves need in general? 

"Everyone needs shelter and a secure source of food..." She trailed off. Those were the obvious things, but what else was there? Shreya mentioned how different wolves have different needs, but Laika needed to think about everyone. What did all wolves have in common, other than food and shelter,  no matter their diversity? Gosh, she just couldn't put her paw on anything else.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Sorry for the wait, I'm absent/scarce this week. ^__^

It would have been easy to go for a more philosophical answer, like happiness or psychological security, but Shreya was glad Laika had stuck to the obvious. It kept things simple. First and foremost, wolves needed to survive.

Mm, indeedy, she replied with a nod. How would you say Saena has gone about getting us shelter and food? Saena was, in Shreya's mind, an excellent example of a good leader. She had gone to considerable lengths to keep her pack alive.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
You're totally fine!

Laika nodded thoughtfully when Shreya asked her yet another question. She thought hard about this one. Saena was just so amazing at what she did, how could she ever match that? A hard look of determination was slowly etched across her face. She was going to get there, and she was not going to give up. 

Saena had led them to confront Rosings and made the smart decision of leaving the Maplewood when Sleeping Dragon threatened them. She guided all of them through rough terrain -- physically and mentally -- until they reached Silver Creek. "Before we left the Maplewood,  She protected our home -- shelter -- with ferocity and along the journey she helped out with hunting. She still protects Silver Creek and hunts too." 
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
:)

Again she nodded, but had her own extra think, because there were other possible answers to Shreya's question. To be honest, she didn't give Saena too much credit for hunting, which was something every wolf of the pack should do (and indeed did). Ferocity was somewhat more laudable, for it took real inner strength to be as young and small and newly-mothering as Saena and yet stand with such determination.

All true, she therefore concluded, but her moving us at all was perhaps the best decision she could make... and also the most difficult. Some leaders, some lesser creatures, would have been selfish. Just think about it. Saena could've taken her puppies to some nearby friendly pack — she and her three children could've been safe. She didn't have to think of the rest of us — her own survival did not depend on it.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika nodded thoughtfully as Shreya added on to her answer. Indeed, Saena could have left. She could have ensured a safe future for her and her pups. But she didn't. Laika's heart swelled in her chest with admiration. "So to be a good leader, you not only have to provide the daily needs for your wolves, but also be selfless and willing to do everything possible to keep them safe." She concluded with a smile.  She could definitely see the sense in that. Silently, she told herself that she would always provide that for others. 

However, Laika began to think about what Shreya had mentioned before. How all wolves have differing needs. "So... how do you identify the needs that vary with each wolf? I mean, I know that you have to get to know them or just plain out ask, but are there any other was to do that?" 
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Shreya gave another nod at Laika's conclusion, but confirmed it no more articulately than that. For Laika had it in one: leadership was selflessness. Or rather, good leadership was. There were powerful and prevailing leaders out there who leeched off their subordinates, and using fear and greed alone could expand their pack and lead them to great size and influence. But that, in Shreya's opinion, was not good leadership.

The pale girl's next question was good, but needed more initiative. For she could answer it herself, and so Shreya made her do so. Perception, she replied simply. There was no quick and easy trick, beyond simply asking them (which is what Laika suggested). Look at me, for example, she sat up tall. She was old, weary-looking, her ribs were showing, but she was in fairly good health, and certainly seemed more healthy when she conversed with others and found herself to be of use. By looking at me, and after getting to know me, what would you say my individual needs are?
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika thought for a long hard moment, trying to figure out what to say. There were many needs like food and shelter but that was for every wolf. What made Shreya different? What made her stand out? Well, Shreya always wanted to help out... to give you advice. She was rather skinny, but always seemed stronger when she was able to help -- much like right now. "Well, you obviously need the normal things like food and shelter, but you also need to be put in the position to help others. It makes you happy." She smiled sheepishly, and hoped she was right. From what she'd been able to gather about Shreya, thats is what she had pulled up. Of course, there was probably a couple more but the pale young she-wolf couldn't identify them just yet.
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
Mhm and yes, Laika dove straight into another correct answer. It didn't surprise Shreya, but she was a little impressed — it wasn't easy to notice that Shreya gained genuine pleasure from sharing her knowledge and advice. After all, it came naturally to her. But it was also the very purpose of her golden years, and it was nice to have that acknowledged. She nodded the affirmative, and then observed something in turn: that's something you and I have in common.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika's chest welled up with pride as Shreya nodded once agin. Then she made the comment. The pale girl tilted her head to think and nodded. Indeed, she enjoyed helping others. It made her feel accomplished. She nodded back to Shreya. "I guess so," she commented. Now that she was thinking about it, she realized that she really did take pride in helping others. She smiled. She must be a helping-others wolf. 

Short post ><
the old wolf remembers
251 Posts
Ooc — Ells
That's a good thing, she hinted with a crooked smile.

I'm going to go and check in on the pups, she said, getting stiffly to her paws. But call on me if you need me. And I'd be interested to see if you could offer your own guidance to those in need... she surveyed Laika with interest, for she believed her little lesson had fallen on keen ears.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika smiled back to the elderly wolf, white tail thumping upon the ground. She mentioned going to visit the pups, she Laika wished she could go too. But, she had duties to attend to, and she would attend to them. She nodded to Shreya, getting to her paws. "Thank you, Shreya. It's always good seeing you." She gave her another cheerful smile before turning on her heels and prancing away. Now, what should she do first? Finally, she decided. She thought about what Shreya said on her short journey to the creek. Maybe she could help pass on her knowledge to others. That would be lots of fun!
Closing off here, thanks for the thread Ells!!