The Bracken Woods I wonder where I wander
42 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
All Welcome 
He was alone.

Fresh in his mind was the chaos of the past weeks. First, his human master, dropping him and his siblings off the hands of another and driving away with his mother in tow. Then, their daring escape from this new man, their young, thin legs carrying them swiftly away from the machines that chased them down. After separation came death. One sister, plunging to her death in the mountains. The other going slowly, smelling of acrid disease, dying with her green eyes wide open, flecks of foamy drool on her muzzle.

That was then. This was now. In the space of just several sunrises, Denali's life had changed forever. He was alone.

It was daytime--he could see the sun barely glinting through the thick canopy of trees above--but the dense forest was lit in dusk-like light, shaded, anticipatory. Denali padded softly over the thorny bracken, uttering murmured curses every once in a while as some sharp object became embedded in his paw. He stayed silent as he walked, nostrils flaring as he searched for the scent of prey. Denali had feasted on the occasional bit of small game, but it wasn't enough for his growing body, already large for his young age.

There seemed to be nothing in this forest, no sound, save a bird call from on high every once in a while. Was he the only wolf-dog--or, god forbid, the only predator--on earth? A feeling of trepidation overcame Denali, followed quickly by a hot rush of anger.

Everyone left you, and now you're alone, he told himself acridly, teeth bared as the thought rose to his mind. You're alone, you're alone, you're alone.
VI
Maybe The Rain Is Our Tears During Our Cloudiest Hours, & The Thunder and Lightning Are Sounds Of Our Hearts Breaking.
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
He couldn't do it anymore. Padding along the same territory, one that was not his own, was actually more taxing and stressful than feeling the new earth beneath his snow splashed paws. They carried him over the border, on which he was curious to scent Sen, but didn't bother: neither of them were following her rule, but that didn't mean he had a right to leave.... Not that he cared. Though he wanted to do his best for the wolves who'd helped him through a dark time, and wished to even help Sen with her pups and leadership, should it come to that, if she would not allow him his right to freedom then he would leave anyways. He'd have Rana, surely, to keep him company, and possibly Lyric and Rain were they ever found.
He traveled much farther than his alpha had, all the way to a place he would probably never know to be The Bracken Woods. It was there he found the scent of a wolf, another male, and with his bouncy gait he set off towards it. His tail wagged in the air and he approached with a smile, letting out a low chuff of greeting.
42 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
A rustling sound caught Denali's attention, and he soon saw another wolf approach, snow-white paws gracefully trotting over the ground. His eyes were a glint of green in the murky forest light.

With a smile--slightly forced, but, still, his first since his sister had expired--Denali greeted the newcomer.

"It's good to see I'm not the last wolf on earth," he said warmly, taking in this new arrival. He was quite large, his frame even bigger than Denali's, and was black as jet, save for his chest and paws. Denali inhaled deeply and found the scent of other wolves on him--part of a pack, perhaps?

"I've been traveling these woods for a week or so, now, and haven't come across anyone yet. I'm Denali. Might I ask for your name?"
VI
Maybe The Rain Is Our Tears During Our Cloudiest Hours, & The Thunder and Lightning Are Sounds Of Our Hearts Breaking.
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Once the stranger seemed friendly, though a little forced, Zephyr relaxed a little. A wolf of his size had little to worry about, save for the bigger predators. A torn ear and many scars proved that he indeed knew how to fight, well enough considering he was alive today. 
Alone in the world? Heh, he was far from. Zephyr was obviously surprised that in a week he'd seen nnobody.
       "Strange, though I do assure you that there's nothing to worry about there. My names Zephyr, Zephyr Maverick." 
He glanced over his shoulder, nodding towards the land he knew as home for the time being.
                    "I'm the Gamma of Seadog Sanctuary."
42 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
"I entered from the north. Seems many have gone south to try to avoid these stupid bugs."

So this Zephyr was part of a pack. Denali was intrigued. Growing up as a human's pet, he had heard stories of bands of wild wolves, but had never encountered one. He wondered if his father was part of a pack. He wondered if his father was here. . .

"Pleased to meet you, Zephyr," he said politely, nodding his head in greeting. "What brings you to these dark woods?"

He smelled a faint whiff of salt on the wolf, and suspected his home was much closer to the sea than here. Well, that, and the fact that his pack's name had the word "Sea" in it. Surely the sea was bountiful with fish? Why had Zephyr come here? Denali thought he'd try his luck on the seashore, once he picked through this tangled forest.
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Zephyr gave a little shrug, assuming a lot of packs might have been foolish enough to travel ahead of the locusts. Though it may have earned them a few more meals, in the end he was sure that a storm of those preportions would have wiped out all of the Teekon Wilds. 
The scent on the stranger told him he was alone, even if he himself had not already voiced his worries of being the last wolf alive. Perhaps he would be looking for a home? Seadog was open for new recruits, especially with the famine and Sen about to pop. The sooner he found wolves to take the places of those lost with him, to provide stability in his absence, the sooner he and Rana could set off for his own pack creation. At his questioning, the Gamma couldn't help a grin.
        "I'm a restless soul, usually out looking for a land to call my own. A meal would be nice to bring back to my alpha, since I'm sure she'll not be happy of my leaving again, but recruits are usually welcomed so long as they're of use."
42 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
Denali eyed Zephyr curiously. So, a pack defector--no, Denali thought, "defector" seems too harsh a word for this wolf, who seems kind enough. 

A de facto recruiter as well. Denali took in his words, intrigued. He hadn't even thought of pledging allegiance to any packs. The wolf-dog had been only in the company of pets and humans for the majority of his life. The wild lifestyle was as foreign to him as anything.

Yet his dreams were marked by fantasies of running with wolves, wolves like his father. And if Seadog Sanctuary was keen on letting this curly-tailed mutt into their ranks, well. . .

Denali inhaled deeply, scenting rabbit. Not just one, but a few, and fairly close by. "I smell prey, Zephyr," he said. "Shall we hunt together? If I'm fortunate to catch something today, perhaps I'll bring it back to your alpha and she can decide my worth."

Underneath the cool, measured tone, Denali was giddy with a mixture of fear and excitement, like the youngster he still was. He planted his large paws firmly, waiting for the other wolf's answer.
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Zephyr gave a charming smile, but thought about the chances. Rain had had a hell of a time from the alpha female for being half dog, would she notice this males slight difference? He himself didn't mind, but was this wolf worth leaving early should Sen turn on the Gamma?
Perhaps.
     "Good idea, lead the way Denali."
With a smile, he waited for the younger male to lead. Was this what he would be doing for a lifetime? Hunting? Or did he have dreams. Not that he could be picky in a pack he had yet to form, but it was nice to see wolves with real ambition.
42 Posts
Ooc — Miryam
With a final glance back at Zephyr, Denali began to pad through the forest, nostrils flared as he followed the scent. Where. . .oh, there. He saw one, nestled beside a tree trunk, velvety nose twitching idly. Denali resisted the urge to salivate at the sight and crouched as low as his big body would allow, slinking slowly towards the tiny creature.

A fallen twig cracked suddenly, loudly, under his paw, and the rabbit turned its gaze on the wolf in alarm. It fled. Denali made a leap towards it, ready to sink its claws into the creature, and let out a muttered "Shit!" as his paws landed on the forest floor, the fruits of his labor having raced into its burrow.

Gritting his teeth in frustration, Denali rose to full height again, turning and giving Zephyr a rueful look. "Well, damn," he remarked, his voice barely a whisper, so as not to disturb other prey around--and there was other prey; he could smell it. "You can give it a go next. There's one I scent over there," Denali murmured, jerking his head to his right.

Denali would give it a few more tries before calling it quits; his frustration would soon blind his senses, leading him to further and further failures. If he wasn't meant to bring food back to this alpha, well, so be it. He would remain alone.

VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Wasn't sure how to link it or anything but I rolled a four.

Zephyr stayed silent and stalked after the white and brown male, watching his moves and feeling bad the moment he heard the twig. Watching the rabbit leap away, he was sure Denali wouldn't catch it and knew himself correct when it vanished into the earth. 
      "Bad luck."
The ebony male kept his voice low, taking the lead softly and careful in his steps. It didn't take long of following the trail before the hares pelt come into sight. Pressing his body even closer to the ground and pulling himself forward, the massive male circled around the prey. His plan was to chase it towards Denali in hopes he would catch it. If not, he would have to hope he could muster enough speed to do it himself.
After placing the rabbit between himself and the younger male, Zephyr lunged forward, snapping ferociously at the mammal and driving it right towards his target.
42 Posts
Ooc — Miryam

Clever, very clever, Denali thought as he observed Zephyr's tactics. When the hare bolted and rushed towards him, he wasted no time in setting his massive form upon the creature, killing it with one swift bite to the neck.

Blood--delicious blood--coated his teeth, and the urge to devour the rabbit nearly made him dizzy, but he recovered his good senses and set it on the ground by his feet, licking his chops and grinning at Zephyr.

"Well done," he said. That was smart thinking." He pointed with his nose toward the dead animal below him. "Shall we take this back to your alpha and see what she thinks of me? Maybe food will get me in her good graces. Food usually seems to have that effect," he added with a chuckle.
VI
240 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Victory! Now his scent had never been placed on the rabbit, only Denalis. None of it could be traced to him, and that had been exactly his plan. Sen couldn't say that he caught it for the new wolf. Zephyr trotted up to him with a grin, tail wagging. While he wasn't sure how Sen would take to him, Denali had convinced the brute that he was worth defending. Should the alpha not accept him, Zephyr could always go off with him. 
First, though, he would need to find other recruits for Seadog. His promise to Rain stuck in his mind, and the ebony male didn't break his promises. 
      "With luck, she'll accept it and you. I must warn you though, she's very pregnant and very cranky. If not, perhaps that just means its time for me to leave." 
Turning and heading towards the shore, Zephyr wasn't sure what he hoped for. If he was accepted, he would be a Seadog wolf, and that meant he would again have to look for his own. Of not, then they would both be out of the pack and on their own, likely with Rana to accompany them. Only time would tell.

Feel free to fade or post again. I'll make up a post in Seadog dated before Sending gives birth.