Ankyra Sound You're sailing from another world
56 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 
Bain had been wandering from quite some time, and found himself nearer to the ocean than expected. He actually quite enjoyed it at that. He was here to join a pack that he heard was near the sea. Saltwinter... Bain flipped through his mind, trying to find out how it sounded familiar. The scent of the area was familiar for sure. It smelled like his sister, Devin. Devin always smells like the sea anyway, how do I know she's here for sure? 

The scent of the pack grew stronger, telling Bain that he was near the border. The coywolf didn't want to intrude on their territory, so he sat there, waiting. Joining a pack would be a new experience, but Bain was ready for it. Even if his sister wasn't there, the coywolf wanted thrived off of other's company.

As all the thoughts of pack life rushed through his mind, Bain sat patiently, waiting in anticipation for somebody to arrive.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
A call sounded at the borders and Kjalarr made quick work of the distance between him and it, having been fortunate enough to be somewhat close by when the howl sounded into the salty air. The interest in their pack was somewhat surprising to the Viking and yet he knew that they needed it. The children would be able to eat regurgitated meat sometime soon Kjalarr suspected, if they weren't at that point already — Kjalarr's knowledge of children was still very lacking, admittedly — and more wolves meant more hunters to fill the caches and more eyes and ears upon the borders. All of which could only help to strengthen Saltwinter.

Kjalarr's steps slowed to an eventual cease when he came upon the coywolf, his tail high over his back as he assessed the male with a quick scan. Admittedly, his monochromacy at times left out details but while the other was gaunt from the famine — though they were all gaunter than they should have been — he appeared to Kjalarr to be in good health. There was no subtle clues in his stance to suggest that he was injured and no smell of blood nor infection. “This is Saltwinter,” Kjalarr broke his silence to give a gruff greeting. “and I am Kjalarr, it's Beta.” Kjalarr's posture communicated his rank efficently enough, he knew, yet it accompanied his name nevertheless. “What do you seek at our borders?” Kjalarr held his suspicions, of course, given that the stranger's scent suggested that he was a loner, yet it was customary to make the inquiry all the same.

please send all PM's to kivaluk

1/3 threads
you still wonder if you're
a ferocious beast or a saint
but you're neither because
you're infinitely more —

56 Posts
Ooc —
A large male came through a few moments later, introducing his name and rank. Bain knew that the Beta rank was very high in the pack, so he needed to choose his words and actions carefully. The coywolf stiffened, looking the Kjalarr in the eyes. Bain wanted to appear cogent but not challenging, a weak wolf would not be as likely to be accepted into a pack, or that's at least what Bain figured. 

"I seek to join Saltwinter. I have traveled alone most of my life, and I seek for something greater than solitude," Bain spoke clearly, waiting in anticipation for the Beta to respond.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
short post is short :0

Perhaps the coywolf had not meant to have the eye contact be perceived as a challenge of Kjalarr's authority but it was taken as such regardless. To the complex hierarchy wolves operated within Kjalarr did not know how to take it any different. On neutral ground the Viking might have let it slip past but this was not neutral ground and Kjalarr held the authority. Scarred muzzle wrinkled as his lips curled back to expose his teeth, a low growl rumbling his warning. Avert your eyes, the sound and his stiffened, assertive posture communicated, emphasized by a step towards Bain to show that if need be Kjalarr was willing to force him into submission. For now, the coywolf's words were ignored as Kjalarr dealt with what had become the bigger issue to him.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

56 Posts
Ooc —
Good job Bain, you screwed up. Bain averted his eyes as quickly as he could, taking a step back as Kjalarr rose forward. The lone wolf dipped his head down, tail between his legs. His gesture of confidence may have been seen as a bit too cocky, and in that moment he cursed himself. Bain worried that the task of joining a pack was interrupted, and hoped that this interference wasn't permanent. The coywolf decided not to speak, and instead waiting to see if Kjalarr accepted his position of subordination. Maybe the Beta would give him a second chance.

Bain realized in that moment how ranks were so important to packs. It came to him how different pack life would be, since he hadn't experienced it that much. Well, if I do happen to make it into Saltwinter, I'd have learned from my mistakes. And if I don't...well I suppose it'd still be the same. But why couldn't he be comfortable with joining another pack if he didn't get accepted to Saltwinter? Bain knew why. He had a creeping suspicion that Devin was here, and longed to see his sister.

At this point, it's not looking good for me. Bain admitted this, just the thought hurting his pride. Hopefully I don't look like a complete fool.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
The coywolf was quick to realize his mistake, Kjalarr noted as he adverted his eyes and took a step back, accepting Kjalarr's dominance. Kjalarr's posture spoke of his aggression for a stretch of moments longer — a few heartbeats before the aggression passed and he drew his salmon pink tongue across his jowls in acceptance. While his aggression might have eased after being appeased by the aversion of the loner's eyes, Kjalarr's dominate posture did not lessen, however. Just in case the coywolf forgot his position and forgot who he was dealing with.

Admittedly, the tides were not immediately in the coywolf's favor. A deep breath was taken as Kjalarr clung to his stoic silence, contemplating it. “How did you survive most of your life if you've spent it alone?” Kjalarr couldn't help but ask, finding the words...strange. The coywolf couldn't be too much older than Kjalarr himself, perhaps younger, if the Viking had to guess. Kjalarr had been swept away to sea when he'd been just three months old and had nearly died of starvation (and dehydration) within a few days of being spit back out of the sea. Were it not for Scimitar and Nova Peak Kjalarr's bones would have been picked clean or eaten all together by scavengers and he would not have been standing where he was today.

Thus Kjalarr thought himself rather adept at knowing what it was like for someone young to live alone — which was to say death waited to snatch up the young and the frail at first opportunity. "What skills can you offer Saltwinter?" He asked next after he'd given Bain time to respond to his first question, listening for a reply as he contemplated.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

56 Posts
Ooc —
Bain was flooded with relief as Kjalarr accepted his submission. Just as the Beta hadn't eased up on him at all, Bain didn't try to become too arrogant again. He kept his tail between his legs, his expression only changing as he heard the Beta's first question. The coywolf looked up, still not making eye contact. He feared that if he answered in a comfortable manner, he would have no chance with this pack.

"A good portion of my life was spent with my father and his--" Bain searched for the word his father had used for their gang-like group he had spent his time with. "...Teaghlaigh." It sounded weird on his tongue. Though living the majority of his life alone, Bain had once lived alongside his family in a gang located in Quicksilver Hollow. "Shortly after my mother had children, they left with my siblings and I to start their own legacy," Bain knew it must be odd to explain this all to a wolf he barely knew, but it seemed like the truth was the only right response.

"My father taught me how to defend myself, when he did spend time with me. I was the eldest, so he held a lot of responsibility to me, or so I assume. Despite all this, I strayed away, using what I had learned to help me fend for myself in the wild," Bain decided not to elaborate as to why he ran away. Relations with his family had never been the best, and the coywolf didn't want to revisit those memories. "It certainly hasn't been easy," he ended, decided not to seem like a chatterbox in front of the near stranger.

Bain's eyes shifted as Kjalarr asked another question. The coywolf looked up, then spoke. "I can offer my strength, and I promise to provide for the pack in terms of both food and protection," Bain was raised on gang mentality, so he decided to add something that he truly meant. "I also promise loyalty. I will serve the pack as if it were my family, if I am to be accepted." And with that, he fell silent, waiting for the Beta's response.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
I went ahead and added you into the ranks and things! c:

The word that the coywolf used was foreign to Kjalarr who beyond the common tongue understood only very few words in his father's native tongue. Given the words that followed Kjalarr was left to assume that this Teaghlaigh was some sort of pack. Perhaps the name they were known as. Nevertheless having made his own deductions Kjalarr did not focus upon the foreign word for too long, refocusing his attention upon the words that the coywolf spoke, knowing that it would them that he was to judge. “I suspect not,” Kjalarr mused in a contemplative tone that subtly hinted that he understood just how hard it was to venture on one's own.

“Saltwinter does not tolerate those that would be dead-weights upon us so I expect you to hold to your promises,” The Viking warned Bain, no other warning would be issued. The punishments for failing to be a useful part of the pack spoke for themselves and thus Kjalarr did not feel the need to be redundant by voicing them aloud. “What do they call you?” Kjalarr inquired moments before he gestured for Bain to join him within Saltwinter's borders. “I will give you a tour and after I suggest seeking out our Queen, Caiaphas and introduce yourself to her. A cautionary word, avoid her bad side. Show her nothing but the utmost of respect and submission. If I hear that you have disrespected her in any way you will answer for it.” Kjalarr was quite fond of Caiaphas and would not stand to have any of the subordinates disrespecting her. He rolled his shoulders in a shrug though he was quite serious on his threat before he began to walk, expecting Bain to join him. Typically, Kjalarr would not retiterate on showing the Alpha respect but given Bain's slip up earlier the viking thought it might be a good idea to mention, just in case.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —

56 Posts
Ooc —
"I promise to stick to my word," Bain tentatively stepped over the pack border to continue his conversation with Kjalarr. "They call me Bain, and you?" he inquired, feeling like he had just crossed a bridge rather than a border. The coywolf felt a bit intimidated when the Beta mentioned him meeting the Queen. He had slipped up with Kjalarr, and didn't want to do the same, especially with the Queen. It had mostly been an accident, but that made Bain even more anxious. He could do something potentially rude and not even realize it until he was forced from the pack's boundaries. 

"If I disrespect the Queen, I will take all the punishment I deserve," he said, eyes flashing with the slightest bit of worry. The coywolf meant well, but it was always in his personality to ask brash, whether he meant it or not. Kjalarr started to walk, and Bain followed quickly after him, keeping his distance somewhat behind the male. Usually, Bain thought he was always the one in control during situations, but this one was certainly out of his reach. There was nothing he could do but clean up his act and see what happened.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
this seems like a good place to fade. you can either archive as is or reply once more and archive. c:

A sage was given when Bain made his promise, a silent, affirmative good. Saltwinter didn't ask much but what they did ask was no less what any pack expected of it's members. Bain, the coywolf introduced himself as. “Kjalarr,” The Viking repeated from when he'd first approached, but he let the fact that the male forgot slide. After all, there had been a rough moment filled with tension shortly after it. A soft laugh left the Viking, though the topic of disrespecting Caiaphas or doing something to upset the coy Queen was hardly an amusing matter. It was only funny because he would take the punishment if the aforementioned should happen whether he agreed to it or not. “I know you will.” Kjalarr's lips curled up in a silent sneer as he begun the tour, being sure to point out important and interesting points above ground to Bain before he led him down into The Grotto where the Saltwinter wolves spent most of their time.

1/3 threads
you're infinitely more —