Sun Mote Copse bitter melodies turning your orbit around
120 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
for the few weeks they had encampted in sun-mote, arunik'ra had slept fitfully. she ate rarely, and her devotions to molech knew no quarter -- all the same it vexed the red priestess greatly that so sparse a selection of supplicants were available. @Asherah was showing promise, spending much of her time with ar-khalba. it was the way molech wished it, and for that the scarlet woman was pleased.

arunik'ra had settled in a small enclave she had dug not far from the shrine -- idly she picked at the splintering surface, her expression wrought with considerate concentration -- the shrine needed a name, but molech had been silent.
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Her time with Ar-Khalba was much enjoyed. She would part from him to eat and drink, and to bow her head to the shrine for Molech. She was not so caught up in her lust that she had forgotten the one who had allowed her to feel it. Her blessing came from Molech, and though Ar-Khalba was the instrument to her pleasure (and she to his) it was by Molech's graces that they were able to do so. She often spent time at the shrine, basking in the glow of Molech and praying. Today, however, an offering she'd been planning was finally complete. A rabbit's skull from a past meal had needed to bleach and be cleaned by scavengers before it was suitable to adorn the shrine of Molech, yet now it was ready. 

She hoped he would approve of her offering. Though it was not as good as the antler she had found, in her opinion, she thought it would be worthwhile until she could find bigger and better. She had hoped one day to provide a deer skull, or even a fawn skull. For that she would need help, though. The skull was head gently in her maw as she walked, a bounce in her step. As she grew closer she noticed another before the shrine. She recognized the priestess right away and slowed her pace. She would never want to interrupt another while they pray, nor paid respect to Molech and especially not the priestess.

So she walked closer but stopped a respectful distance away and waited for the other to notice her or lift her head from prayer. Her eyes watched the other with admiration, with love. She was Molech's priestess, speaker of his word. Asherah looked up to the red woman a great deal, wanted only to please. She remembered the questions she'd had about her parents before her first tyrst with Ar-Khalba. Perhaps she could talk to the priestess about her worries. If her parents had turned from Molech's touch...it made her heart shrivel just to think about it. Yet her name was unexplained.

If the red woman had time for her, perhaps it would find it's way into conversation. Should she begin to preach The Word, Asherah would gladly listen. She waited, ever patient, her eyes full of the light of Molech.

120 Posts
Ooc —
arunik'ra worked the composition of the bough she stood stradled over, her thin teeth shearing lines in the brittled surface. she looked up and saw asherah, molech's supplicant -- and a thin, rare smile sparsely filled her muzzle. she sat upright and studied the skull the she-wolf proffered; it was a befitting and honorable gift.

"a fine gift for the god of light," the priestess canted, pulling from the small heap she had created. "molech will be pleased."
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
She watched the careful actions of Arunik'ra, following the motions with interest. She was always looking for new ways to worship Molech, and there were no better ways to learn than watching that of her sisters. The other's head raised and her eyes fell on Asherah. A smile flickered across the other's face and Asherah returned the gesture, dipping her head in greeting. She watched as the red woman looked over her offering and blushed beneath her fur with pride and elation at the compliment.

"Would that I could ever offer Molech as great a gift as I have been blessed with. I live to please Molech, for all that I have been given and all that has been given to others." She bent to grab the skull and approached, settling it opposite the other skull. Symmetry would be best, more pleasing to the eye. Once it was placed she began to look for nearby plants to adorn it. She grabbed those she found suitable, nothing wilted or broken, and then stepped back. After regarding the skull, she decided it was acceptable and bowed her head to Molech to pray for a moment.

When all that was done, and she felt The Many Armed God would be appeased, at least for now, she turned to the other. "Arunik'ra..." She began, her voice troubled, eyes focused on the ground. "I...I wish to discuss something with you, but would rather not do it before the shrine to Molech. I have questions, and the content should not mar this sacred place." She lifted her eyes for a moment and waited to hear the other's opinion. Should her sister bid her to speak the questions here she would, though she would beg Molech's forgiveness for even speaking such words in the presence of the holy Shrine.

120 Posts
Ooc —
arunik'ra noticed the troubled expression that consumed her sister's face, and immediately she wished to banish it from the realm of wolves. she set upright and looked upon asherah with concern, and understanding the context in which the woman spoke the priestess rose to her feet and walked away, motioning for asherah to follow. "of course." she inferred gravely, taking slow steps away from the shrine with deliberate placement. she trusted whatever troubled asherah was of great importance, and dearly wished to assist her sister in whatever means she could.
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
The concern in Arunik'ra's face sent a warmth feeling through Asherah. She felt a motherly feeling towards Arunik'ra, as the priestess, and to see the concern filling her eyes for herself...it made her feel loved. She moved to follow the other at the gesture, wasting no time. Her sister's voice was grave, which was understandable. She knew not what Asherah would say or what made her want to move from the shrine. It would be good to put her mind at ease and let her know the sins she was concerned for were not her own.

Once the shrine was out of sight, and Asherah felt it's holiness could not be tainted, she turned to face her priestess. She smiled softly at the other, but her face was still written with trouble. "Sister," She began, glancing once more towards the ground. "I don't mean to frighten you by pulling you from the Shrine, I merely do not wish to speak of such things in front of such a sacred place. Ever since I was enlightened to the love of Molech, I have had questions. Not questions of the Many Armed God, for I believe the grace and blessings of Molech are clear to see. Questions of my...heritage, my parents." She glanced towards her sister, meeting her eyes finally. "I never knew, not until Eshamun lifted the shadows from my eyes, what my name meant. My parents, though they did pray and worship, they did not name their god. We gave offerings from every meal we ate, and we would pray to this nameless god. They lived as mates, explained to us that we would be bound to one male, or one female, for our lives. Our union would be a holy one, but that we were to save ourselves and that mating was only to produce children for god." She shrugged her shoulders and shook her head. "It all seems simple enough, on its own. It would be easy to say that they did not know Molech's grace and so were fooled by a false god and false beliefs. Yet, my name, Sister. How would they know the name of Molech's beloved...and not of Molech?" She glanced to the distance now, sadness on her face.

"It has troubled me greatly, had they turned from Molech's light? There seems no other way. And sister," She returned her gaze to Arunik'ra's. "The trials my birth family ran into! We were safe no where, hunted and killed left and right. From the moment I was born until I was only months old...that was the only peaceful time I had. My sibling was killed in a run from the birth den, he was too young to keep up and our parents could not carry us all. My father was killed by hunters, who found us even though we had kept from their flocks. And again, my mother. She too was killed by men." Her jaw grew tight and tears formed in her eyes, she looked to her paws and swallowed thickly.

"I lost all my family and have been too afraid to stay in one place until Eshamun was sent to me. Was that their punishment for turning from the light of Molech? For knowingly ignoring?" She shivered as she cry, again shaking her thing skull from side to side. "Why would they turn their back on the Many Armed God? Once they saw Molech's power take my brother? Why continue to close their eyes against the light? His death was strange in any case, for I swore he was right behind me. In front of father and the next I knew both were gone." She sniffled a little, but tried to regain her composure, raising a paw to wipe at her eyes. "After my brother died, we had peace for a short time again. Was that a time of warning they were meant to see? Did they neglect that too? Blindly and knowingly? This other god...why would they reject Molech for an imposter. Sister...it does not make sense and I am troubled, troubled by what I do not know."

Her fear was not with Molech, she bore no issue on those judgements. Her fear and confusion was with her parents, wondering why they would knowingly endanger themselves with the wrath of the Many Armed God. Why they would endanger their children. What turned them from the light in the first place? She was not upset with her God, but her parents. Throughout her time with her family there had been small moments of peace, a few bigger segments. Chances, as she saw it, to change their ways. Even in the midst of punishment Molech was graceful! And yet they still cast away the light. "I was clueless with my parents, did not know Molech's name. Yet, am I tainted by their actions? By their disbelief and refusal, if that is what it was, for that is what it must have been."

120 Posts
Ooc —
arunik'ra listened to the narratative, nodding during some junctures and wide-eyed during others. much of what asherah said was indeed bewildering, baffling either -- but arunik'ra was content it was the Will of Molech. as asherah paused, overcome by grief, arunik'ra raised a slender paw and aimed to place it on asherah's own in a genuflection of both empathy and affinity. asherah's loss was the tribe's loss, her grief the tribe's brand to bury.

"it is no secret the ways of molech are strange to us." she said at length during a genuine pause of great consideration. "but that is the many-armed god's way -- but it is also the way of the world." arunik'ra blinked slowly, gravely. "is it not true that we cannot see shapes, or forms, or shadows without a burning flame or lightness? perhaps the same can be said for your parents -- there was no light in their lives, no vigil to show them their falsehoods and lead them to redemption. no soul ever showed them the light, so all-knowing molech granted them one final kindness." she lowered her muzzle and looked asherah levelly.

"that gift was You. you must carry on in their names, and redeem their souls through your undying devotion to molech."
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
She had been afraid that the red woman might cast judgement on her for her parent's decisions, and to both see and feel her comfort broke Asherah further. Arunik'ra placed a paw on Asherah's own, and Asherah crumpled towards her, leaning her head to rest on the other's shoulder like a tearful pup. The tears dripped down her long muzzle, and she sniffled, but she listened to the words of her sister.

After a moment she raised her head, lifting a paw to brush the tears away. She nodded as her sister spoke the truth. Her head dipped as she addressed Asherah's parents and the darkness they had in their lives. Her sister must be right, they had steer her and her siblings from all danger they had seen during the day. They had turned them from traps and ravines, from crumbling logs and unsafe dens. Surely...had they truly been able to see Molech's light they would have guided their children away from the darkness? Surely if they had truly known....

At the mention of a final kindness, Asherah lifted her head, tilting it slightly in confusion. Another sob threatened to take her as Arunik'ra continued, stating that the gift had been her. She nodded again, for she would devote her life to Molech. She only wished she could have brought her parents to Molech, could have shown them the light. 

"Thank you, Arunik'ra. Thank you so much. I know that they would have shield me from any danger they could, and you are right. If they had known Molech, surely...surely they would not have turned from him. They were in the dark, unknowing. Perhaps...perhaps they knew something, an ember of Molech's love...but did not know to fan the flame. My name shows something, something I may never have an answer for. You are right, though, I can redeem them for whatever they might have done or not done." As she talked, her voice became stronger. There was undoubtedly still a sadness lingering, a pain within, but determination was drowning it out slowly.

"I have already pledged myself to Molech, but I pledge myself thricefold. In honor of my parents, of the sacrifice they made so that I may know the light of our lord. Your wisdom is great, sister. I thank you dearly for your comfort, and your words of love." She dipped her head to the priestess. Her feelings were conflicted, still pained for her parents but also warm and loved from her sister. She felt so blessed to be apart of this family, this religion. Truly Molech had shone down upon her many times to lead her here.

120 Posts
Ooc —
arunik'ra was aware of the raw edge of asherah's sorrow, and knew no words could soothe it. instead she simply offered a threadbare smile, encouraging her sister to lay bare her thoughts and feelings.

"i have no doubt in your faith." she supplied easily, her expression genuine. "the highest honor is not coming from a faithful or even longstanding family -- the highest honor is serving your god dutifully in your lifetime. chin up; molech has smiled upon you for a reason."
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Would you mind to date this as after this thread with Eshamun and Ar-Khalba? They can discuss the children and the sacrifice this way too.  I'll change this post if you'd rather not, just let me know!

Asherah spoke even as Arunik'ra sat quiet, her sister allowing her confession of her fears and pains. Her soft responses were soothing, limited in length but not in meaning. Hearing that her sister did not doubt her faith brought her happiness. She listened quietly, and nodded. "You are right, sister. There is a purpose for me in Molech's embrace, I only hope that I please our God and prove worthy of the blessings." She sat silent for a moment, the tear stains slowly drying on her face. It was a comfortable silence between the two females, Asherah found it full of warmth and love. Full of support. 

"Sister...I have something else that plagues my mind and has me torn and confused. Eshamun has told me once she gives birth her children will be offered to Molech. All of them. Will it always be so? I know...I know that Molech is the one who allows us to bear children...and so the life of our children belong to the Many Armed God already. On one side, I understand the need and the right that Molech has to the children." She paused, glancing away.

"On the other, I am selfish. I long for Eshamun to raise her children devout amongst us. When my time comes, should Ar-Khalba and I conceive...will those children too, be offered? I feel ashamed for thinking to question Molech's right to the lives...but I cannot shake this turmoil. How have you made peace with it, Sister? Help me to see Molech's light in the darkness of my mind."

120 Posts
Ooc —
it was natural to want to love one's children, and to protect them -- but the priestess was a hardened servant of molech. she swept her gaze up to asherah, and while the empathy was gone from her sharp features there was no contempt to be found.

"molech's mercy is not a given -- it is something we pray and sacrifice for. molech's wrath can be appeased by offering your first child; our priestesses scry from their ceremonies the Chosen, and those chosen must be committed to the all-consuming will of molech. it is done before the child's eight moon -- in the light of molech. those children never know anything but love and light, and we are the unlucky ones."
176 Posts
Ooc — Lia
Asherah met Arunik'ra's eyes unflinching. Though the priestess had shown great empathy and concern for Asherah about her parents, here she did not falter. This was the way of Molech, Asherah's question was directly questioning his way. She knew this, and that is why it shamed her. After a moment she turned her eyes from her sister's gaze, ashamed still of her doubts. Yet the words sunk in and she nodded.

"You are right, Sister. Who am I to question the Many Armed God?" She shook her head and sighed, still feeling the clouds in her belly pulling her down. And yet, her sister had given her much to think about. They would only know love and the Light of Molech. They would be so young as to not feel or remember the pain of the world. This was something to think on, something to help her. She nodded again and lifted her head to meet her sister's eyes. "You have given me much to think about, Arunik'ra. I thank you, deeply, for your guidance and support today. Molech's light shines through you unto me." 

She wanted to think, to drink in all she had been told today. "Do you need anything else of me, Sister? I believe I will go and pray and think on what you have said."

120 Posts
Ooc —
since i let this get a little outdated i will wrap up - we should thread again soon! <3

arunik'ra had fallen silent after her last words, inspecting the truth of her statement. in many ways, the living were cursed to deal with the daily demons of life; they would struggle and fight and eventually their bodies would give into death and their lives would end the way every life did: simply with exhaustion.

these were grave thoughts to be thinking, and arunik'ra chased them from their dark corners and dredged her inner mind with thoughts of molech's light, molech's fire -- molech's mercy.

"molech shines through you." she rejoined, gently correcting the female; it was not just she, the res drunak, who held molech's favor -- it was asherah, faithful servant and supplicant of the light. in molech's eyes, they were equal -- two beings blessed by starfire.

"go pray -- i will be here if you need me, sister." she smiled warmly, encouragingly -- she would go back to shaping the burrows into a respectable shrine, but would be only a call away should asherah need her again.