Silvertip Mountain All that glitters isn't gold to me
272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
All Welcome 
set after she and Anita return from their scouting trip

Niita patrolled, feeling like a slacker since she hadn't been around to do it. It was irrational of course, there were others surely who patrolled while she was gone for she could smell them. It wasn't as if the task had been neglected nor was she the only one to do it. It was part of what she had spoken to Zeke about, the fear of being useless.

The morning was clear, the sun shining beyond the trees and it was already warming up. Birds could be heard chirping and Niita couldn't help the small smile that seemed permanently fixed on her face, she was just too happy to be home.

The trip to Moonstone Quarry had been a success, Niita would soon be a certified Scout. She was in no hurry to do it, Niita was ready to stay home for awhile and just be with her friends and mate. Funny how she felt at home here, considering she had only been around a few months or so.
Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high -- except for the one who held the keys to the gate. 
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady was patrolling, as well, though his thoughts were not on the borders. He had picked up Niita's scent and was following it, hoping to catch up to her. It was strong enough that he felt sure she was still on it. He had known when she returned, but was worried about stealing her away too quickly after she got back. So, he gave her a little time to herself, as he figured she'd need the rest anyways.

But, it had been long enough- or was it that he could no longer wait? His tail wagged when she came into view, and he picked up his pace. Instead of slowing down when he reached her, he attempted to give her a quick playful nip on her hip, and then ran in front of her, silently inviting her in a game of tag. He had been serious, too serious, while she was gone, but his heart had lifted at her return, and now he was ready to play.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita was lost in thought, thinking over the past few days and what the future may hold. The sound of someone running up behind her had her turning towards the sound but before she could see who it was, a nip was placed on her hip. Niita knew only one person who played with her like that and she was grinning even before the black blur of Steady was running past her. 

With an exuberant bark, Niita chased after him. It had been awhile since they had done this, it made her feel light hearted to chase after Steady in play. 

"Hey you overgrown pup, get back here," Niita called out, laughing as she ran after him.
Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high -- except for the one who held the keys to the gate. 
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He heard her bark in response to tagging her and laughed in response before he turned to make sure she was following him. She called him an overgrown pup, and he couldn't really argue with that right now. He did feel rather young when he was around her, not that he was old. He was a wolf in his prime. 

He slid to a halt and turned to face her in a play bow, his tail wagging in the air. Just before the distance between them was closed, his body jerked and he was off again, circling around behind her before facing her again, a smile on his face. This time, he waited to see what she would do instead of running off again.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita chased him, feeling she was gaining on him before he suddenly stopped. The pale girl slid to a stop as Steady turned, circling around her after bowing and then stopping before her once more. Niita responded to his bow with one of her own, a happy grin on her face. 

Moving forward, Niita kissed him with the hope that she wouldn't have to admit she missed him in the handful of days that she had been gone. Hopefully he could tell she had with the prompt kiss, pulling back to speak with him easily. 

"You're it," Niita beamed up at him, tail wagging from where she sat in front of him.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He was elated that they could play like this together. In their mature years, they would still keep each other young. Those thoughts brought a smile to his face as she kissed him, and he returned it. She claimed he was it, but she didn't run. He mimicked her posture, sitting back on his haunches, his tail moving the grass as it wagged. 

He gazed into her eyes, his expression soft. Be with me forever? he said softly. They had committed to each other already, but this was simply something he wanted to hear. He had missed her so much while she was gone, and it only proved to strengthen his feelings for her. 

Speaking of forever- You know, we haven't talked about our living arrangements, he pointed out. I take up most of the space in my den, and I don't figure we'll both fit in yours, he mused. What do you think about the two of us making a new one? he asked her, his expression hopeful. 

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
He made no move to tag her back, and though she enjoyed their playing she was glad for a chance to just talk to him. His question made her eyes soften, had she always been so gooey around guys? Maybe that was just a side effect of mating Steady. Niita rubbed against him affectionately, reassuring him physically before speaking. "Always."

His next question surprised her slightly, considering she hadn't made a den upon arriving. She had slept with her back to a rock wall, at first it had been so she wouldn't bother anyone with her nightmares and also so that she wouldn't hurt herself by banging into the top of a den when she woke in a panic. After she seemed to have moved on from what had happened in Asmundr, Niita just hadn't gotten around to it.

"What about Adeline? She stays with you doesn't she?" Niita didn't want to take Steady from the young girl, especially considering she would be all alone without her uncle. If they did end up digging a den for themselves she wouldn't mind Adeline moving into at as well, as long as she didn't mind Niita.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He closed his eyes as he enjoyed her rubbing against him, and he dipped his head to return the affection. He almost stopped himself, remembering her bad memories and what triggered them. But, he knew he would never hurt her, and he had every confidence that she knew that, as well. 

He frowned a moment when Niita brought up Adeline. He had yet to speak to his niece about he and Niita, and he knew he needed to do that soon. Uh, well yes, she does. But, I hope she'll be agree to coming with us, he said hopefully. He knew he couldn't really promise Adeline's response, but he would try to persuade her as best he could. But, if she's alright with it- what do you think? He was almost worried she would say no.

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita nodded, immediately assuming he hadn't yet told Adeline that he was now married given his stumbled response. She wasn't mad, though she was nervous that Adeline simply wouldn't like her at all. That would make things a bit sticky, Niita hoped fervently that they would get along. 

"I don't mind if she doesn't, I just hopes she likes me. I'm for it if Adeline doesn't mind moving but if she doesn't want to you can always stay with her," Niita reassured with a smile. She liked the idea of moving in with Steady but didn't want to force him to leave Adeline alone on the chance that the pup didn't like Niita.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
She seemed to take everything in stride, and he was grateful for that. His smile was meant to reassure Niita. I just can't imagine anyone not liking you, he said in honesty. Niita was so lovable; how could Adeline not like her? I would really like to be able to spend my days- and nights- with you. He nuzzled her, showing his feelings. It was possible his statement might give certain implications that Steady had not realized.

Not that the thought hadn't crossed his mind, because it had. But, there were so many things to considers. First, Niita wasn't in heat. Second, what if she got pregnant? The pups would be born in early fall, a time when prey was dwindling, and Steady didn't know if he could bare a winter with pups. It would feel like the famine all over again.

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
"Thanks," Niita smiled, tail wagging at the praise. She hoped it was true, she certainly enjoyed pups and hoped to have some of her own someday. She wasn't sure if Steady's opinion on it and if he didn't want any children then she wouldn't force him. Hopefully Adeline would like her. Niita wouldn't try to take Zaria's place but she at least wanted Adeline to approve of the marriage of her uncle/guardian.

Niita felt her face grow warm at his words, unsure how to respond. She hadn't ever done anything past kissing, Steady knew that. She was certain she was ready, she trusted Steady enough for physical aspects of their relationship. The inexperienced female was more worried about messing it up, of fumbling whenever they did move to that step. 

Pregnancy wasn't a concern, she wasn't in heat. Niita had had her first heat last winter, and most likely wouldn't have her next one until this winter as it was nature's way of ensuring her pups were born in spring when food was more available.  

Niita didn't say anything back, nuzzling him in return. She was at eye height with his neck, placing small licks against it affectionately.

I may have rambled and I don't know if that was a weird response or not XD
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Not weird at all!

While Steady worried about having pups during the winter, he also worried about having them at all. He had made such a grave mistake with Odette that he almost couldn't fathom putting himself in that situation again by having his own pups. But, when he looked at Niita, and imagined their lives together, pups were apart of the equation, too. His heart was so torn between allowing himself what he wanted, and chancing breaking it all over again.

He returned her nuzzle, wishing his mind wasn't in such turmoil about things that should come easy to a newly-mated couple. In an effort to put the thoughts away, he asked about her trip. So, how did your Scouting trip go? Where'd you end up? Maybe she had some useful information for him.

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita was unaware of his inner workings much like he was unaware of her own. She viewed what had happened with Zaria as a mistake,  it had been macabre to try and feed the pups their dead mother but she couldn't judge Steady. It wasn't as if she knew what she would have done if she had been in his place. 

"It was good, we went to Moonstone Quarry. It was very pretty and we saw that the plants had returned on the way there and on the way back. Animals are returning with them," Niita remembered the reason they had gone in the first place. 

"I have something for you," Niita recalled that they were near her place in the rock walls and that she had left the bundle of moonstones near her corner. Niita gestured for him to follow her, leading him to the rocky stretch she called home. 

Padding over to the bundle of moonstones, Niita nudged it open with her muzzle. "This is for you," she pushed one of the moonstones towards him. 

slight pp, pm me if I need to edit
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
All good! :-)

He listened intently as she spoke of her and Anita's adventure, smiling at her. He was glad to hear that plants and animals were returning in other parts of the area and not just what surrounded them. The Wilds were truly back to their original splendor. 

She motioned for him to follow, and he did. There was no way he would never not follow her, even if she had nothing for him. He was interested, though, in what she might have. His ears were perked and his eyes watched her as she sorted through some rocks, picking one out and pushing it towards him. It seemed to glow, even in the daylight, and he lowered his head to sniff at it. No particular scent to go along with its unusual look. He smiled as he lifted his head and his gaze went to her. It's very unique! Thank you, Niita. He extended his neck to nuzzle her. 

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita smiled, nodding in welcome. He seemed to like her gift and that made her tail wag happily. The moonstones held no significant value nor did they serve any purpose but they were pretty, seeming to glow from the inside luminescently even in the sunlight. 

Niita pushed the rest of the bundle back, only holding three now. "Next time you see Zeke will you tell him I have one for him too?" Ezekiel was her closest friend outside of Steady.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
His playful mood had not expired, and his expression showed a mock-shock when Niita expressed she was going to give a stone to Ezekiel. What?! he exclaimed, his voice higher than usual to show he was being playful. You can't give another male a stone, he said. It sounded ridiculous, as he hoped it would. Because, it was just a rock, after all, with hopefully no more than friendly sentiments behind it for Ezekiel.

He moved to shove the remaining rocks back with the others, and then laid down on top of them all. Nope! I claim them all! he announced, his playful gaze on his mate as his tail wagged. He waited to see how she would react. 

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita cocked her head to the side, wondering why he had exclaimed so when she brought up the stone for Zeke. For a moment she worried he was serious and that his jealousy issues were back threefold. It soon became apparent he was only joking and Niita laughed, watching him flop onto her pouch of stones possessively.

"You forget we're mates, love," her words dripped with sweetness, an attempt at distracting him from her true purpose. A grin threatened to split her face in half as she flopped onto him and the pouch. "What's mine is yours and what's yours is mine," she teased with a laugh.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Her voice was soft, and his heart did a little flip when she called him "love". He didn't think he'd ever been called that, even by his previous interest, and he stilled a moment to let it sink in. He was certainly memorized by her, even when she was spouting sweet words his way.

Suddenly, she plopped down on him, and he expressed an "oomph" as she did so. She claimed what's his was hers, and vice versa. He grinned. Well, in that case, you and I can share them, he agreed, wondering if she realized that didn't include any other wolves names "Ezekiel." He shifted slowly, rolling his body under her until they were face to face. He turned serious a moment, extending his neck to nuzzle her own. 

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita shook her head at his antics, finding him adorable though she did indeed plan to give her friend a moonstone. She hadn't carried the pouch all the way back just to keep all of them to herself. Of course she didn't think Steady was serious, he was just teasing and she liked teasing him back.

"Sounds like a plan," Niita murmured, snuggling into him as he shifted. He nuzzled her neck, Niita sighing slightly in contentment as he did so.  "I love you," Niita whispered as if it were a secret, nuzzling him in return.

they're so cute :3
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Yeah, they are! ^_^

Niita shook her head, and Steady grinned, liking that they could play around like this and have it all be in good fun. He would be perfectly fine with Ezekiel having a stone from Niita, knowing that it was meant in friendship. He smiled when she confessed her love to him and nuzzled him back. While they had become mates, they hadn't actually professed their love to each other. It was one of those things that they felt, and showed, and there wasn't a need to point out the obvious. Still, Steady enjoyed hearing it. I love you more, he whispered back. 

His heart fully mushy now, he sighed. Alright, alright. I guess Ezekiel can have a stone, he relented. But! You have to give him the prettiest one! He wished he could see Ezekiel's expression when Niita offered it to him, no matter which one he got. His friend didn't come off as the type to know what to do with a present like that, though Steady was confident he wouldn't be rude to Niita about it.

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
It was true that while they were mates they had never quite told each other the extent of their feelings. Niita wasn't sure when her crush on Steady morphed into something else, attraction was what she might have called it. Nor was she certain there was a point where Niita had realized she loved Steady. It just seemed to grow into love, and Niita was overjoyed to hear he felt the same. 

Steady relented with a sigh, saying she could give Zeke a stone but only if it was the prettiest one. It seemed like an odd request to her, the stones all looked the same but she nodded in agreement anyways. "Deal," she commented, perhaps unnecessarily.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He was content to stay like this, snuggling with her, for as long as they could. He smiled up at her, letting his thoughts wander into the future. He did have some qualms about having pups, or rather being a father and screwing up said pups, but when he looked at Niita, it was like those fears disappeared, and his heart told him everything would be okay.

But, they still hadn't even talked about it yet. How do you feel about having pups someday? he asked softly. He hoped she wouldn't feel rushed by the question, as he realized they had just become mates. He wouldn't want to risk their lives by having them in the winter, either, so they had some time.

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
His question surprised her, as he did so quite often. Niita had thought about having children, of being a mother, she had been betrothed and her parents had expected grandchildren. After being banished it hadn't seemed part of her future anymore, Niita had been sure that she wouldn't mate. Apparently she hadn't anticipated Steady. 

The thought of having pups with Steady had crossed her mind but she hadn't brought it up given that they were recently mated. 

"I like kids. I want some eventually even if I haven't given it much thought," she admitted, glancing up at him curiously. "What about you?" It would be some time before she went into heat and if Steady didn't want pups, then Niita would just have to avoid him at that time.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He realized he was nervous after he asked the question. It was at this point in his last relationship that everything had gone downhill, and not long after, he was single. He hadn’t dated, hadn’t even been interested in anyone since then, until Niita came along. There wasn’t a compromise between one of them wanting pups and one of them not. It made it more complicated that he was unsure now if he did, but he didn’t want to completely say no. He was just scared.

She admitted she hadn’t thought much of it, and he wasn’t sure how that made him feel. But, she did say she wanted them eventually, and asked about himself. I was sure I did at one point in my life, he admitted. Though, with everything that has gone on with Zaria and Fitz’ pups, sometimes I worry I won’t make the best Dad. He knew Adeline loved him, but he also feared their relationship might change once she found out the reason her brother and sister were gone. Would she hate him, too? It was a guilt that he would most likely always carry with him, with or without the forgiveness of his nieces and nephew.

272 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Niita listened, her face crumpled in concern at his words. She had seen how guilty Steady had felt after it had happened but she wasn't aware he still held onto that guilt. The whole ordeal was just one big mess to Niita, one she wasnt sure she could fix or anyone could for that matter. Even she had felt guilty after finding Zaria and not being able to keep her from dying.

"I know you blame yourself for what happened and maybe it wasn't the best idea but Steady, you had good intentions," she assured him. Niita knew she couldn't absolve all of the guilt, hell half of her life had been spent in the guilt that she couldn't save her family. Hopefully she could at least ease it.