Silvertip Mountain Play is the highest form of research
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
Adeline had woken that morning full of energy and ready for adventure. Uncle Steady, however, had refused to wake up and play with her, and instead gave her the instructions to go play, but to stay in the clearing. She bolted out of the den, running around a few laps before her attention turned to movement in the grass.

It was a little mouse, happily chomping on a blade of grass. Adeline lowered her body to the ground with the intent of stalking it. She took a few steps forward, and then stopped. A few steps, then stopped. She thought she was doing a great job; never mind the fact that the mouse was actually looking right at her. One more step, and the little creature bolted. Adeline sprung after it, but it was long gone. She tried to chase it, but had lost track of it when it went into the grass. Her nose was to the ground, searching for it.
do you want to break me like you were fourteen
and someone dared you to break the law?
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
I've been waiting for a puppy thread! Successful roll here!

Ezekiel decided to go find the pup Adeline. He'd felt bad about the pups ever since the whole incident with their mom. Adeline was all alone and though Zeke didn't really like playing with pups, he thought it would be nice to visit her. As soon as he got to the hollow where Adeline's den was, a mouse sprinted past him. He lunged down at it, catching it in his mouth. He was about to bite down and kill the squealing creature when he looked up to see Adeline was stalking something. Tail wagging slightly behind him, he held the mouse by the tail and walked towards her with a friendly posture. 

He dropped the animal in front of her and held it down with by its tail. You want to finish it? He asked happily, not knowing how she would feel about it. He thought she might enjoy catching it herself, but she might also think it gross. It was good though and if she didn't kill it he would.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
She searched around for a few moments, but couldn't find the little critter. She was just about to give up when the large male she liked to play with came out of the bushes and promptly caught a mouse. Adeline wasn't sure if it was the same one, but it didn't really matter to her, either. She bounded over to him, her eyes wide and excited as her tail wagged. She sat back on her haunches as he put the mouse on the ground and held it there. She thought he would kill it, and she was fully prepared to give her best puppy dog look and beg him for it. 

Instead, however, he offered it to her if she wanted to finish it off herself. Without hesitation, she pounced on the mouse. She grabbed it within her sharp puppy teeth and clamped down. Blood poured into her mouth from the body and the mouse stopped its struggling. She chewed on the body until she was able to swallow it, and then looked up to Ezekiel as if he might have another. 
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel watched Adeline waddle towards him, staring at his mouse eagerly. Cute. Was his only bitter thought as he remembered his the pups that he had been sent to kill. Of course he couldn't, he had always had a soft spot for pups. They all reminded him of his past though, no matter how cute. But watching Adeline tear into the mouse did make him smile. It was cute that the pup didn't mind getting her paws dirty. That was a good trait to have. She looked up at him with her big eyes, which were slowly becoming haunting copies of her deceased mother's. 

What do you want? Another one? He asked, pretending to be surprised. He hunkered down to her height, making his butt go way up since she was so little. Wanna learn how to hunt mice? He asked, raising an eyebrow. He found playing with most pups draining. But mentoring he liked.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
Her face broke out into a wide, hopeful smile and she nodded her head vigorously when he guessed correctly the exact thing she wanted: more food. She assumed he would simply honor her request and go out and get her some. Instead, he asked if she wanted to learn how to hunt. She looked perplexed for a moment, and her head cocked to the side as she wondered why she should learn how to hunt when the adults so readily brought already-dead food to her. 

But, if she knew how to hunt, she wouldn't have to wait on them, either. So, she nodded her head again. Sure! she said excitedly. Immediately after, Adeline was up and bounding through the tall grass and straight into the forest, figuring the male would follow her. 
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel watched with an amused grin as she nodded her head frantically. She was very excitable, and had lots of energy. When he asked if she wanted to learn, she looked confused for a moment. What did she not want to catch her own food? Finally she decided, sure!, then bounded through the grass without a second to spare. Slowly Ezekiel rose, knowing that he could catch up in a matter of steps. Her running was equal to his walking, since she was so little. He pushed himself to start but once he caught up he slowed down to trot beside her. 

After a bit of walking through the grass, careful not to go too far from her den, he stopped in front of her and bent down. If he hadn't she probably would've kept walking forever. Ok, ok, ok stop! He said with a chuckle, her enthusiasm both refreshing and tiring. Sitting down in front of her and bending down to speak to her, he spoke. Ok what do you see around here? Zeke himself could smell mouse, somewhere in this general area, but the first indicator was a pile of mouse poop nearby. That would be easier for her to smell and find than the mouse itself, so he'd start there.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
She trotted through the underbrush as if she had just been released from prison, giggling as she went along. She hadn't been this far from the den, and it felt exhilarating. How come no one had ever taken her out like this before? Ezekiel was quickly becoming her favorite wolf here, as it seemed he gave her what she wanted, like gnawing on his ear, or taking her out hunting!

All of a sudden, the large male was in front of her, commanding her to stop. She slid to a halt, her green eyes wide as she stared up at him. Had he not chuckled, she might have been frightened. Still, she was shocked, though recovered quickly as he asked what she seen. She looked around quickly before turning her gaze back on him. Trees 'n' stuff, she replied, fully thinking that was the answer he was looking for. It was what she saw.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel stood mouth agape for a moment. Did she really think that was it? He sat back, letting out a long slow sigh. They had a long way to go. It was fun though, teaching the little girl. He felt protective of her, as he did lots of people who he liked. So far he liked Adeline, she had spunk and was very enthusiastic. He wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. Ok, well yes trees and stuff, but hmm. Oh look! What's that over there? Is that mouse shit? Do you know what that means? Ezekiel didn't exactly know how to censor himself around kids. They'd learn those words someday anyway.

Playfully he bounded over to the tiny pile of scat, sniffing it to make sure it indeed was mouse. Once he's confirmed it, he stood by it, flicking his tail to gesture Adeline towards it. Come look! Hoping she would connect that mouse poop meant a mouse somewhere nearby without his help, she waited for the young Zaria to come.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
She looked up at him, waiting for some sort of praise that told her she was correct. He agreed with her, but that was about it. Then, he mentioned something about mouse shit. Adeline wasn't put off by the word, as she had never actually heard it before. Which is why she looked so confused when he said it. What's shit? she asked. 

Then he moved, and she followed him. He sniffed at poop, and her confusion only deepened. I want a mouse- not poop, she explained to him in a duh voice, clearing not seeing the connection between what she wanted and what he was showing her.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
What's shit? She asked, clearly confused. The question surprised him, he didn't know how much she knew and how much she didn't, but had just assume she knew what it meant. Stumped for a moment, but quickly back to reality, he simply stated. Shit is a better word for poop. He shrugged, not much more to say about it. Hopefully Adeline would understand.

As he showed her the mouse poop, he glanced over at her to see her confused expression. So she hadn't made the connection. That's ok, that was why he would teach her. Her sassy remark didn't go unnoticed, and amused Zeke shot back in the same duh voice as the girl. Mouse poop means a mouse is nearby. Or one lives around here. How else would it's poop be here. He stepped away from the scat and stuck his nose to the ground. Now to find the mouse. You want to try tracking it yourself, or should I? He asked, turning his head to look down at the green eyed pup.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
She was informed that shit was a better word for poop, and she stored the information in her brain. Uncle Steady would be happy to know what she was learning more vocabulary! 

She was still confused on the mouse shit issue, though, but Ezekiel explained that it meant there was a mouse nearby. Her expression changed to elation, and she nodded quickly when he asked if she wanted to try tracking it herself. She immediately went sniffing all around the poop for the little creature’s scent, trying to ignore the smell of the poop itself. Finding the trail, she followed it a few feet to the bottom of a bush. Some of the roots stuck out of the ground, and she sniffed around them, smelling the scent get stronger. She stuck her nose under one of the roots, and a sharp pain on it caused her to jerk back, shaking her head. She looked shockingly at Ezekiel. It bit me! How dare it bite her! She was only trying to eat it!
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Adeline remained looking confused until Ezekiel explained it flat out. Poop = mouse. Simple. As soon as he asked if she wanted to track it, she did so, sticking her nose to the ground and around some roots. He watched her carefully, wondering whether or not she could find the thing when all of a sudden she leaped back, clearly appalled. She looked shocked, and at first the large boy was worried, protective instinct took over him and he padded forwards sniffing at her to check for injury. When he was sure he stepped back and allowed her to explain. The mouse bit her? How dare it bite his little friend?!

The Manchester crouched down, almost laying so that he could look under the roots. His black nose was far too big to fit underneath, but the mouse was probably under there. Luckily the young adult had learned a thing or two about hunting small game, and had a trick up his sleeve. Be ready. He said, stepping towards the other side of the log and crouching down again. And then he let loose a loud howl right into the crevice under the root, sending the mouse running frightened out the other side towards Adeline.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
She sniffled as he came over to sniff her to see if she was alright. She frowned, clearly upset that her potential meal had successfully defended itself against her. But, it seemed her savior was not so easily swayed. She watched as he went to the other side of the hole and told her to be ready.

She wasn’t quite sure what she was supposed to be ready for, but her eyes were on the hole, waiting for… whatever it was to happen. He howled, temporarily shocking Adeline, and the mouse darted out of the hole straight towards her. She recovered and leapt towards it, trying to catch it with her front paws. It kept getting out of her grasp, try after try, but Adeline was stubborn, continuing to go after it. Finally, she caught it, feeling it wiggle under her paw. Quickly, she snatched it up in her jaws and ended its life. Her head held high, she pranced over to Ezekiel to show off the dead mouse. Her tail wagged as she looked up to him, hoping he would praise her[size=x-large]. [/size]
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel watched with pride as Adeline caught he mouse, killing it with a bite. It hung in her small jaws as she pranced about. She brought it to his feet, tail wagging excitedly. With a large smile he bent down. You're a great hunter? Who taught you to be that good? He asked, enthusiastically, prodding at the dead mouse with a white tipped paw. It was a very decent sized catch, and would be a nice meal for the girl. Ezekiel wouldn't have minded eating it himself, but it was her catch, and he figured she'd be mad if he took it. Instead he waited for her to eat, grey tail swishing across the dirt clearing behind him.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
Adeline wasn’t the most giving of pups. Being on her own the past weeks during a crucial time in her upbringing had caused her to lose some of her manners, and she didn’t think twice about eating the mouse, crunching it up between her puppy teeth and swallowing it. Others might have offered some, if not all of it, to Ezekiel, since he had been helping feed her. But, that hadn’t entered her mind.

But, she was no liar, and she gave credit now where credit was due. You did! she said with glee. Ezekiel had quickly become one of Adeline’s favorite wolves here, as he seemed like the most fun. What next? she asked expectantly. She had no thoughts of going back to the den area.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
i can't get over how unbelievably cute Adeline is xD

Ezekiel smiled when she exclaimed his name. He felt pride in having taught her something, in watching her succeed. He'd promised himself long ago that he wouldn't have pups of his own. He'd always thought what a horrible father he'd make. He'd never wanted to turn out like his own father. And it seemed he hadn't. Adeline seemed to like him enough, and that was all he needed. Perhaps having pups of his own wouldn't be that bad. You bet I did! He said with a grin, reaching out a paw and ruffling Adeline's head tufts. She asked him what was next, and he huffed as if he was thinking really hard. She was eager it seemed, to learn more, but what else could he teach.

Well what do you want to learn? Me, I can teach you whatever you want. Fighting, hunting, swimming, how to be sassy, I got you covered Addy. His behavior was so relaxed, so almost not him. However he felt so comfortable around her. She didn't judge him about anything, she liked him for him. That's why he liked pups. They didn't ask where you came from or what you've done. They only worry about what your doing here and now. Stark grey tail thumping playfully on the ground, he waited for the next enthusiastic response.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
She giggled, having fun at this banter. She liked that he didn't really treat her like a pup, but instead more like an adult. Uncle Steady seemed more careful with her, as if she might break. She loved Uncle Steady, but sometimes she wished he would let loose a little bit. Ezekiel didn't seem to think like that. 

He asked her what she wanted to learn, and she was thinking up until he gave her suggestions. She gave him a sideways look. I already know how to be sassy, she said with confidence, not denying it. I want to fight! she said, quickly getting into a play bow and growling at Ezekiel. 
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Oh you do? I didn't notice. Ezekiel said sarcastically, grinning at Adeline as she exclaimed what she wanted to learn. She got down into a play bow quickly, growling excitedly at him. He raised his eyebrows teasingly, as if he didn't believe her. You think you can beat me? Show me what you got! He got into him own play bow, however it was very slack. Of course he didn't actually plan on sparring with her. Any swat or grab, no matter how gentle, from a wolf his size, could easily injure one of Adeline's size. He would probably let her win, and be very gentle.

Zeke crossed his big icy blue eyes and shook his head side to side. He was urging her to leap, prepared to fall over at the smallest impact.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
She giggled again, knowing Ezekiel was being just as sassy as she was and she loved it. It was what made him fun. She could always count on Ezekiel to keep things moving, and so she never got bored.

He went down in a similar bow to hers and she growled playfully again, having every intention of showing him what she had. Adeline thought she was a pretty tough pup, and had the confidence to back it up. However, she hadn't actually sparred before, so she knew nothing about fighting. But, play came naturally to her, and she figured it wasn't much different than that. She barreled towards him, lifting her front legs when she got to him in an attempt to bring them down on his shoulders, while her open jaws went for one of his ears.
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel smiled happily at Adeline's growl, just before she leaped at him paws outstretched. She landed on his shoulders, nipping at his ears. Ahhh! He yelped as he tumbled to the ground, falling limp as if she'd really got him. For a moment he pretended to be dead, before opening an eye to laugh a little. Ok so now that you got me down, your gonna always go for the neck, it's the most vulnerable part. If you get someone by the neck, you've won for sure. You shouldn't like kill anyone or anything, but you can scare 'em. Ok go ahead, bite my neck. He instructed, this he found was the best way to win a fight. If ever Adeline was in trouble, she now knew were to aim. He wasn't sure how Steady would feel about him teaching her this, but he felt it was important.

Papa's little killer! Zeke has never been more proud in his life <3
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
She was successful in her hit, grabbing on to Ezekiel's ear as she growled playfully. It was nice to have someone bigger than herself to play with since she didn't think she could hurt him. She giggled as he went down, knowing he was playing, but loving it all the more. He went still for a moment, and just before Adeline was about to do a surprise pounce, he opened his eyes.

She paused when he began explaining what to do next, her head cocking to the side in a confused fashion. Why don't I kill them? Can't I eat them? she asked. Wasn't that what fighting was all about, so she could eat? Mommy was going to eat Solemn, and Daddy ate Mommy, she pointed out, matter-of-factly, not realizing she had just called Steady "Daddy" instead of "Uncle." She didn't remember FitzDutiful, and Steady had always been the prominent male figure in her life, so it was almost natural that it happened. 
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel waited patiently for Adeline to attack him, but she didn't. Instead she asked a rather odd question. But her next comment explained it, and a look of remorse came to his face. Her whole family was gone, most of them eaten. Zeke himself had taken meat from Zaria. He now regretted it, but desperate times call for desperate measures. They had been starving, and the meat of the former alpha had helped them survive. He frowned up at the small pup, who still 'had him pinned down'. Because eating them isn't nice. What if I just ate your uncle Steady right now. You'd be sad right? He asked, bopping her head with a large silvery grey paw. He wanted to keep the conversation happy, not drag her down into a sad stupor. She didn't need to worry about sad things, not yet.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
Ezekiel said eating others wasn't nice, and confusion took over Adeline's expression. But, Mommy was going to... she said softly. She had looked up to her mother in the short amount of time that she knew her, and she didn't think Mommy would do something she wasn't supposed to, or tell her children to do it, too. She would be sad if Uncle Steady passed, but she didn't think he'd chastise her for eating his body afterwards.

When her Uncle had told her what they did to her mother, Adeline had come to the conclusion that eating others when they passed was just what they did. So, she assumed fighting was for killing, and killing was for eating, be it deer or wolf. 
bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Adeline was clearly confused, and possibly hurt. Ezekiel had to fix that, and now he understood why she was that way. Her mother had tried to eat her brother. Ezekiel knew what it was like to absently believe everything your mother said to be true. He'd done that for far too long. But Adeline didn't need to worry. They were different. Zaria had been a good woman, insensitive perhaps, he didn't really know. But she'd only tried to have her children eat their brother to keep them alive. Well if someone is already dead, it's ok to eat them. They aren't in their bodies anymore. But if you kill somebody to eat them, that's different.

The more Zeke thought about it the more confused he made himself. But he had to correct the issue. While he wanted Adeline to grow into an adept fighter, he did not want to see her become a murderer. Killing hurts people. Like if I killed you, I would make everyone in this pack hate me, and they would be really sad, and you wouldn't get to grow up. That would be horrible. We only eat each other when we need to, like when your mom ate your brother. That was ok, she was trying to help you and she didn't kill him. He got too hungry and just died. But killing to eat other people isn't ok, especially if you have other food options. You could always just eat those little mice instead!

He smiled at the end of his sentence, booping Adeline on the nose. The little girl was still standing on his stomach, he didn't want to move in fear of her falling and getting hurt. So he'd just wait until she jumped down on her own.
even hell is holy
460 Posts
Ooc —
Her head was cocked to the side as she listening, trying to understand the difference in what she understood now and what he was saying. Her eyes widened a little when he used her own death as an example, but she did understand that it was just an example, and he didn't actually want to kill her. 

She was quiet a moment, giggling when he bopped her on the nose. So, it's okay to kill non-wolf things for food, but not wolves? she asked, wanting clarification. It seemed a little weird to her that they seemed on different levels, but she pushed her previous understandings aside and adopted Ezekiel's words as truth. 

With that settled, Adeline attempted to continue their play from where they left off, her open jaws suddenly going for the fur around his neck as she growled playfully.