Silvertip Mountain Leadership is about growing others
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
@Ezekiel We all know what this is for! :-D While this thread is AW, please allow Ezekiel and I to get the "business" out of the way, then Steady will howl, announcing it for everyone. At that time, others can post!

It had not been lost on Steady that a Beta would do him, and the pack, some good. He had gone about, albeit quietly, asking everyone's opinion, and it seemed they favored one wolf in particular. He hadn't said his own opinion, as he didn't want to influence anyone else's decision, but he had agreed with the pack.

Which is why, this evening, he came to stand in the heart of the territory, his howl calling for Ezekiel. While the pack had spoken, Steady wanted to be sure this was something Ezekiel wanted, too. Leadership wasn't for everyone, and Steady wanted to know that this was something Ezekiel wanted for himself before he made his final decision. 

The Alpha stood, waiting. He slowed his breathing, letting a calmness overtake him as he listened to the world around him. The leaves rustled as the wind blew softly between the trees. The birds chirped loudly their song of choice, and somewhere nearby, a squirrel seemed displeased with something. It wasn't often that he allowed himself these few moments of bliss, which is why he cherished them when he did. 
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Whoo upgrade <3

Ezekiel had been thinking about the beta position when he heard Steady's howl. Ever since their chat about Krypton leaving, and the spot being open, he'd thought about whether or not he could make a good beta. He was gamma, and the next longest to have been in the pack. However that of course didn't give him a right to the rank. The question was whether or not he was right for the job. He was a born leader, strong, able and smart. But he wasn't the best at working directly with his pack mates. He'd been a lieutenant before, but it wasn't the same. This was probably harder, less ordering more helping. However he knew he could adjust. This was something he secretly hoped for, though he still thought Niita would make a great choice as well.

The howl was clear as day. It was for him, from his alpha. He rose from his den under the tree, shaking his thick grey pelt free of autumn's early leaves. After he was finished giving himself a quick clean, he sped off towards the source of the howl. It didn't take long to find Steady, waiting for him in a clearing, watching and enjoying his surroundings. Hey. Steady, you in there man? He asked teasingly, unsure if the black wolf had even heard him. He sat down, wrapping his tail around his paws. It was a laid back position, as he assumed it would be a laid back conversation. He waited with a faint grin to see what it was all about.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
The song of the birds changed, though the squirrel was still angrily chattering away. The difference told him what he needed to know- they had spotted danger. Well, at least what they considered danger. Steady considered him a trusted friend, or, dare he say... Brother. 

He grinned as Ezekiel joked. Yes, yes, I'm here. Just enjoying the mountain, he confessed. He knew the other animals that lived here were an asset to him, both when he needed food, and when he was on the look out for trespassers or other danger.

He sat back on his haunches, and in a Steady-like manner, got down to business. I was wondering if you had thought any more about the Beta position. The question would probably tip Ezekiel off about who the Alpha was considering, but Steady didn't worry about it. If it made Ezekiel think more seriously about the promotion, all the better.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel totally understood what Steady meant by enjoying the mountain. Most of his 'naps' were just him lazing about and taking in his surroundings. It was relaxing, and like Steady, Ezekiel liked to think in comfortable conditions. He nodded, glancing around hoping to enjoy whatever Steady had been enjoying, but it seemed he'd scared the nature away. He was about to ask why Steady had called him, when his friend beat him to it. Ezekiel had sort of expected that this was the reason, but at the same time he hadn't. Excitement raced through him but was gone in a flash. Composing himself, Ezekiel nodded.

I have. It still remains open doesn't it? Or have you made a decision? He secretly hoped it would be him, for he could tell that Steady had made up his mind. But he was no sore loser, and would be happy for whoever made the cut.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He paused after Ezekiel's question, wondering how to word it. Technically, it is still open, he said. I'm actually not the one who is making the decision, he added, pausing for a dramatic effect. He grinned, wondering if Ezekiel would get him back for that. I've been going around, asking the other's for their opinion. Since we're a family, I wanted to know what everyone thought about who should take on that role. They chose you, he said with a smile. 

But, I did still want to make sure it is something that you wanted. While the pack has spoken, it isn't mandatory that you accept. He felt Ezekiel would make a good Beta, agreeing with the rest of his family.

bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
The decision was very drawn out, but when it was finally out, Ezekiel was a bit shocked. The whole pack? Chose him? He really hadn't thought they would've gone for him, it's not like he was at the top of everyone's favorite wolf list. However apparently they thought a bit more of him than he did. A smile broke across his face. They wanted him to be beta, not just Steady. And he wanted it, for himself. A rare moment of ambition and pride coursed through him, driven by the knowledge that everyone approved of him. Approval was something he'd sought for a long time, and here it was, staring him in the face.

Yes, I do want this. Especially now that I know you talked to the whole pack about it. Thank you Steady. He said with a grin, and a pleasant nod of respect. He accepted his new rank willingly, and couldn't wait to tell Valette. The thought passed through him, whether or not she'd suggested him. He'd ask her later, but for now he would relish in his small victory. Ezekiel, beta of Silvertip Mountain.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
The look of shock on Ezekiel's face wasn't exactly what Steady had been expecting, but he waited a few moments to see if that would change. The pack had made their decision, but if his friend was too overwhelmed by it, Steady was sure they could find another suitable member to take the position.

But, that would not be needed. Steady smiled, glad that his friend had taken the responsibility on. Congratulations, Ezekiel. Seems that ass of a personality you like to show off didn't work to push anyone away, he said with a smile, half joking, half not. Steady hoped Ezekiel realized just how much he meant to this pack, even if he was the serious type. The Alpha knew his friend would be an asset to not only the family as a whole, but to the leadership of it, as well. 

bonfire in the snow
473 Posts
Ooc — Pompoko
Ezekiel chuckled, swiping a paw playfully at Steady's shoulder. Gee thanks. He chuckled, but sat back with a nod. No really though, thank you. I won't let you down. His playful expression held a sincere tint, just to let his alpha know that he was serious. Being beta would be hard at first, but he'd adjust. He was excited to begin, and wondered if Steady would howl to let the whole pack know. Or maybe there would be a meeting. But for now, he wanted one thing. A patrol. A silly first thing to do as beta, but it would give him time to think. And possibly run into Valette on the way. He still wanted to talk to her about the other day, find out why she'd run off. Hopefully correct his mistake.

I'm thinking I'm gonna do a quick patrol. You know, my first duty as beta. Want to come along? He said, standing and looking to Steady.

Wrap this up soon?
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady shifted to move before Ezekiel's paw hit his shoulder, chuckling at their verbal play. He was glad he could make a joke and his friend wouldn't take it to heart. The moment turned serious again, and Steady nodded. You've earned the trust and friendship of me, and this pack. You've earned the Beta position, he said honestly. He didn't want to make any more comment about being let down, remembering the promises that Krypton had gave him. Deep down, he was still a little hurt by her sudden departure, but he didn't want to admit it. 

He nodded at Ezekiel's invitation for patrol. Yes, but there's one more thing I need to do, he said. Then, he raised his maw toward the sky and announced Ezekiel's promotion to the rest of the pack, figuring the other male would join in, as well. When he was finished, he motioned for Ezekiel to lead the way for the patrol, and began his usual sniffing and marking.

You can archive here, or with your post <3