Ankyra Sound This isn't happening. This can't be happening
i'M cRaZY?! What's crAZy is that this world refuses to let me be with yOU~!! <3
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Pack Activity 
It was funny, she supposed, that she was going out for a piss when Caiaphas died.

Except it wasn't funny at all.

But it was true. She woke up in the middle of the night to take a leak when she swore she heard someone call Kjalarr's, then her name. And she swore it was Caiaphas' voice. She wrote it off as brain fog, walking back to her den.

It wasn't until morning that she realized what had happened. As she searched for Caiaphas, just to update her on the goings on in the pack, she found nothing. She searched, absentmindedly at first, then with increased anxiety until she reached the spot where she stood that night.

Caiaphas was gone.

Caiaphas was dead.

She didn't pause for a moment, throwing her head back and summoning @Kjalarr, no the rest of the pack, too: @Bain, @Kierkegaard, @Slancio, @Ishild, and yes, even @Ondine. They needed to know what happened.

Caiaphas was gone.
Maude identifies as female, but is physically male.

(She also swears like a (literal) sailor)
56 Posts
Ooc —
Bain wasn't doing much except for his usual absent-minded stroll when he heard a call. It had to be from one of his pack members since he heard his name, but didn't recognize the voice. Maybe it was from someone he hadn't officially met yet. That didn't seem to matter at the moment seeing that the call was tinged with urgency.

He frowned, quickly running towards the source of the call. The night air was thick, hazy and dark, though it was no matter. It did set somewhat of an eerie atmosphere, he had to admit as much. "You called?" he asked through the dark towards the other wolf, assuming they were the one to have made the call.
~The sky's the limit~
101 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
Something was wrong.

That was much obvious to him the moment he had heard Maude's call, the urgency in it clear to those who were listening. Dawn had barely left, the sky still showing traces of the goldish tint it took on. The feelings poured into one howlw as enough to get him onto his feet, identifying the direction the call had come from. 

He fled from his makeshift resting spot beneath a shady tree, hiding away from the heat from the first rays of morning light. Tearing down the slope that lead to the bottom of the grotto, towards the coastline, he could dimly make out the figure of two wolves. One was clearly Maude, her mud colored fur standing out on the background of soaked sand. It was only when he neared he could tell the other wolf was bain. 

He slowed down, fearing for the worst.
The flowers are in bloom as the birds will tell, it's a beautiful day to be burning in hell.
"I am NOT forgetful"
241 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
From all things that could happen that peaceful morning, the call from what seemed to be Maude was perhaps the least expected. What could be so urgent that the Beta was the one calling out instead of Caiaphas or Kjalarr? Ondine was resting near the sea, admiring it's beauty as the sun slowly raised and made the light dance on the waves. Her ears swiveled around, her nose twitching as she tried to decide what to do. At last, she got up and turned toward where she thought the howl had come from, trotting without any real hurry to the place of meeting.

Arriving there, she saw her bestest friends, Bain and Slancio, and her probably least favorite wolf in the pack Maude. Despite what had happened between the two, and despite Ondine still being mad at her and questioning her position in the pack, she was willing to listen. 

She took her place besides Bain, close enough for her heart to start thumping loudly in her chest, dipping her head in greeting to all three wolves present. Came as soon as I heard your call, Maude. What's the matter? She asked, just slightly curious if Maude would ignore her completely or not. 
"I simply... Don't remember."
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
Things were good: the morning was peaceful, with the Seadogs abandoning their home things had been quiet for Saltwinter — the small tiff between Ondine and Maude not withstanding — and Kjalarr allowed him to cherish it. They were small, as they'd always been, but they were strong, they worked hard. They deserved the peace, the viking thought. They, who had endured so much. While Kjalarr enjoyed the illusion of peace as he made his way through the monoliath forest he was oblivious to the fact that Caiaphas had called out to him (and Maude) for help as the sea overtook her. It was not until (a few hours?) later that Maude's call tore the sky asunder, urgent and demanding.

Intuition told him that something was very amiss, before he even came upon the scene, his wild gaze touching upon those that had gathered: Bain, Slancio, and Ondine; before his gaze zeroed in on Maude whom they all gathered around, alert and confused. He took the longest studying Maude's face, hoping that if he studied it enough it might become an open book and silently communicate what had happened. His pulse still slightly erratic in his chest from his run to reach her, it picked up as he moved closer to her, only to slow as his stomach pooled with ice that he felt seeping up into his heart. She was not injured — he smelled no blood, and though she appeared to be distraught she did not betray any sort of pain. He took stark notice of Caiaphas' absence and swallowed thickly as suspicion that something had happened to her stabbed him in the gut: like a rusted knife.

“Maude,” He had entered the scene as Ondine had posed the question and Kjalarr saw no need to repeat them, glad that for the moment they appeared to be putting aside their differences. Despite that he did not ask it aloud, it was still were present in his eyes, the demand for answers. Instead, he asked, “Are you alright?” Yet, she had summoned the entirety of the pack: not just him so he did not believe it to be an injury (not that he'd be any help with that anyway). “Where is Caiaphas?” He asked her softly, being careful to avoid making a demand of the inquiry.

please send all PM's to kivaluk

1/3 threads
you still wonder if you're
a ferocious beast or a saint
but you're neither because
you're infinitely more —

317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away
Moving this along, but @Kierkegaard and @Ishild are welcome to join in during this second round! (Edit: tagging everyone else: @Ondine @Bain @Slancio

She stared at the sea as dawn rose behind her, squinting as if she was searching for Caiaphas' black head in the waters. Her silent vigil was broken as the others arrived, all four of them. There were two others, she knew, and she threw her head back to call, urgently, for them once more. She needed them here. They needed to know what had happened.

'kay, so, last night I went out t'piss, She wasn't eloquent in the slightest. Rhetoric wasn't her strong suit at all. An' I 'eard Caiaphas' voice callin' out fer Kjal' an' I. I thought it was just t'wind playin' wit me. She bit her lip, pausing slightly before she went on. But I went lookin' fer Caiaphas dis mornin'. I can't find 'er anywhere. All 'er scents 're stale.

In one drop of water are found all the secrets of all the oceans.
24 Posts
Ooc — Raven Marie
Sorry for the late reply!!

She was late to come, for she had begun to become more and more distant from her pack. She still marked the borders and filled a cache from time to time, just to ensure her spot among the ranks but her mind was focused on finding Ksenia. Ksenia, Ksenia, Ksenia. She was going to be apart of Skellige's new pack after she found her pearlescent sister, and she was going to be powerful. Her cruel mouth watered at the thought as sh stalked up, unaware of what was happening among the small gathering.
ásabragr
641 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Guardian
Kjalarr noted that two wolves were absent and stood quiet and tense as Maude called for those that had yet to make an appearance, her urgency bleeding through her call as it tore the morning asunder again, and when her summons ended she looked to them — the ones that had gathered and explained,in her familiar crude dictation. At the mention that she thought she heard Caiaphas call out for him and then Maude he felt like someone had head butted him in the stomach, and the rise of bile made him unsure if he was going to be sick. He swallowed thickly, looking away from Maude and those that had gathered, to the sea. So much for peace. First it had taken Whittier from him and now Caiaphas. It was obvious that Maude had not found their missing alpha female's body or they'd likely be gathered around it. Kjalarr understood that they had to assume that she was dead, mourn her and keep going even though a slim hope remained that she lived still. He had lived and washed up upon this very shore, far from Stavanger Bay. Perhaps the sea had shown Caiaphas a similar mercy. The muscles in the alpha's jaw worked viciously as he fought back the flood of grief that threatened to drown him.

He fought against the stabbing pain, that yet again, he had not been able to save someone he cared about. That was a horrible reoccurring theme that he wanted to promptly stop. What was that saying that Thistle had claimed Ragnar had been so fond of? The Gods give with one hand and take with the other. Yes, that sounded plenty accurate. “She could live still,” It was hard to think that anything could kill Caiaphas. “I want patrols extended to the shore for a few days, in case she washes up.” Without solid evidence of her death or if she had simply been washed out to sea he wasn't sure what else to do. “She might have washed up on Blackwater Islands,” He gestured to the seven rising peaks out at the horizon. “I will check them.”

please send all PM's to kivaluk

1/3 threads
you still wonder if you're
a ferocious beast or a saint
but you're neither because
you're infinitely more —

56 Posts
Ooc —
Something was off, and he realized he should have probably recognized that sooner. For starters, Caiaphas was not there like he had expected her to be, and the whole atmosphere of the group was downcast. A pit formed in his throat, stomach churning with anxiety of what he read the situation to be. Could it be, his Queen -- their Queen, was gone? He did not know her very well, but she had gone too quick. A wave of grief washed over him. He had not even gotten to know his own Queen, and now, she wasn't here. She could even be dead. Judging by the cloud of negative energy that hung like smog over the gathering, she very well could be dead. Dead, and he'd never even made small-talk with her. His head throbbed, suppressing another wave of grief that threatened to wash over him. Grief and guilt for his Queen, wherever she may be if she still roamed the earth.

He looked up, hearing Kjalarr's voice cut through the silence. She could live still, Bain wanted desperately to believe that. Maybe Caiaphas was strong enough to survive whatever had caused her strange absence. He could only hope so. He listened in silence as Kjallar continued to speak, afraid to speak out on his own for the fear of his voice trembling. Bain wasn't overly-emotional, but he was admittedly self-concious. 

Bain traced his gaze to the Blackwater Islands, breifly making eye contact with Kjalarr. He nodded, as if to say he understood what the male was asking for. More scouting, more searching, more hoping. That's all he could do at the moment, so he'd make sure to adhere to those requests.
~The sky's the limit~
101 Posts
Ooc — Kadence
He neared, watching as some other wolves filed in. Relief filled him when Kjalarr appeared, at least it seems that he was still fine. The viking had become his friend in the period of time he was in Saltwinter before he left. The news that left Maude's mouth moments later killed whatever warmth he had felt quickly. He stood in silence, disbelief weighing down heavily on his stomach. Caiaphas, gone? There was no way that could happen in Slancio's mind. Caiaphas was healthy and headstrong, she would take on a wolf twice her size and find a way to come out of it. He refused to believe she would leave from something as simple as a tide. His queen would fight for her life, he thought determinedly, she'd fight against the waves and she'd return to Saltwinter. 

Kjalarr's voice cut through the chaos in his head. It was good to know somebody else didn't believe Caiaphas could be dead. Slancio listened to his words, trying to reassure them as much as himself. "I..." He started, his words hesitant. "I'll go on longer patrols. Caiaphas is strong, she'll find her way to us." he said, taking deep breaths to let the news sink into his brain. That would mean Kjalarr alone ruled Saltwinter now, and Slancio couldn't even begin to think what this news could mean to him. As his friend, Slancio would do his best to take some of the bruden of the white viking's shoulders.
The flowers are in bloom as the birds will tell, it's a beautiful day to be burning in hell.
"I am NOT forgetful"
241 Posts
Ooc — MEEBEE
Her lips were pulled into a straight line as she waited on Maude to explain the cause of the unplanned meeting. Of course she took note of Caiaphas absence, but had not thought about it too much. She blinked when the truth was revealed, the shock keeping her from any drama-like behavior. Impossible... She breathed out. Caiaphas was so kind and pure- fate had a better plan for her than to die or disappear. There was no way- and yet it was very obvious that Maude had told the truth. 

Ondine let her eyes trail over everyone's face, taking note of their worry and fear. She felt the need to do something- say something helpful and meaningful-unlike Maude-. Her bi-colored eyes ended on Kjalarr, trying to look into his head to find out what he was thinking of. When he finally revealed his plan, she found it to be not comforting at all. She took a shaky step forward, her wound having been cleaned with sea-water and patched up with some herbs she had found. It still looked far from pretty though. Everyone- do not panic. We'll find her- Saltwinter will come out on top of this horrid event. We are strong together- any and all of us. She said in a hopeful tone in her singer's voice. She then turned her attention to Kjalarr, nodding at him understandingly. I'll make sure to gather some herbs for when she does return, fill the stocks for the ones weary from patrolling.  She took her Gamma position seriously, and wondered when the Beta would do the very same. 
"I simply... Don't remember."
317 Posts
Ooc — Alisha
Away

Maude let the others speak, watching as they all murmured their confusion and worry. All except one. Ondine pushed forth, eyes firmly on Kjalarr, on Kjalarr, on KjalarronKjalarronKjalarr.

It took a lot of Maude's willpower to keep her mouth shut. This was not the place for squabbles and domination; they did need to stand together. If Caiaphas is gone fer good, we can't 'bandon ev'ryt'ing, She spoke, her golden gaze sweeping across those gathered. It was strange for her to speak to a gathered group like this. Maude did not have Ondine's lilting eloquence, nor her confidence in speaking. Her battles were fought through physical means. Caiaphas ain't Saltwinter. We are. We 'ave t'stick t'gether, 'pecially through winter. Dat's wot t'pack was created fer, right, Kja? She asked, her gaze finally turning towards the sole Alpha, inviting him to speak.