Moonspear holes (2003) starring shia labeouf
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
All Welcome 
i don't know what this is

Aesop was digging. Not for any particular reason, but for the sheer joy of moving dirt around. He was getting a pretty good depression in the earth going. Maybe if he dug for long enough he could sit in it. Oh, man, that would be the stuff. Night had fallen, and though he wasn't quite tired yet, Aesop would eventually fall asleep. If he fit, he could sleep in the hole. It wouldn't shield him from any inclement weather, but he would be in a hole. If he rolled onto his back, he could look up through the thin canopy and stargaze until he fell asleep cradled in the dirty arms of this hole.
1/5[Image: caretaker.gif]0/5[Image: naturalist.gif]
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Dash's mind went over the conversation between Charon and Aesop. It wasn't that he disliked their newest member, but since the betrayal of Lazarus, Dash was pretty much always on guard these days. He knew the situations were different, as Charon had obviously known Aesop before his acceptance here, but it was also apparent that Aesop had failed before, and Charon was worried it would happen again.

But, their past was really none of Dash's business, or concern. He only wanted to make sure his pack mates were safe. If that meant stalking the new members, so be it. And, stalking he was. He had followed Aesop's scent for a little while, and was now watching him openly as he concentrated on digging. Dash's ears were perked as he sat down behind the male, a little ways away so he wouldn't get sprayed by tossed soil. He tilted his head to the side a bit, wondering what Aesop was doing. It didn't look like a den hole, and it didn't look like... well, anything really.
Feel free to tag Dash as needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW. 
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
So focused was he on the task at hand that Aesop did not even notice his shadow. There was a steady, plodding rhythm to digging that had sort of mesmerized Aesop. He became absorbed by this single goal. So, naturally, when he completed his goal, he was unsure of what to do.

This moment passed quickly, because Aesop knew what he wanted out of life and what he wanted just then was to sit in this hole. Was that not what holes were for, after all? So, with great satisfaction, Aesop stepped into the hole. Nose to the ground, he spun a tight circle once and settled down with a soft oomph, the same sound you can generate by punching a very fluffy pillow. With a grunt and groan that he would not have let out if he had known he had company, Aesop sighed. Ah yeah, that's the stuff. That is the stuff. Aesop felt very proud of this hole he had dug.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Dash was intent to watch for however long, and it seemed easy enough, since Aesop was so engrossed in his task that he hadn't even noticed the other male was there. Or, if he did, he didn't bother to care. Dash was still trying to figure out what Aesop was doing, when the other male made a few noises, a turned around a few times, and settled into the freshly fluffed earth. 

All that for a bed? It confused Dash, who had never been that particular about where he was sleeping. But to each their own, he supposed. Comfy? he asked, his yellow eyes on the male. Dash noticed then, the scars that littered the other male's face. He wondered what the fights were for, but didn't ask aloud. Dash had scars in various parts of his own body, though he was lucky that a thick coat helped to hide some. 
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Just as Aesop set his head upon his paws, perched on the edge of his hole, Dash spoke. Shit! he shouted, and one full-body jolt later, Aesop scrambled to his feet. When he saw it was just the wolf that had greeted him at the edge of the territory not long ago, Aesop relaxed incrementally. With a great sigh he said, fuck, Dash, you can't go sneakin' up on a guy like that. 

Normal niceities had to be observed, so Aesop lowered himself into proper submission for their difference in rank. Then he realized he was still covered in dirt, so he gave himself a little shake. But yeah, I was comfy 'til you decided I needed a heart attack, Aesop said, devoid of venom.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
A single brow ridge raised as Aesop expelled his expletive, and Dash could not hide the half-grin that appeared on his maw when he realize how much he had unnerved the new member of Moonspear. My apologies, he said. While he was, mirth still laced his words. Instantly, he was a hundred times more comfortable with Aesop than he had ever even expected with Lazarus. 

Dash wasn't one to openly display dominance unless it was needed, and he didn't expect submissiveness so long as each wolf was friendly. I didn't even hide. I was sitting in the open the whole time, he said, defended himself, though he realized it wasn't a serious conversation. Not my fault you didn't look, he pointed out, still half-grinning. 

I didn't think Charon was going to accept you, at first, Dash admitted. It wasn't often the dark male got into the business of others, but he wondered how loyal Aesop would be. Not that it was really any concern of Dash's, but he still wondered.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Aesop huffed and puffed a few times, playing at being more upset than he was. He was more glad for the company than he was annoyed that he'd been disturbed. He could easily achieve comfort in his hole once again. Whatever, he said lightly, shrugging. And that was that.

That sounds like a whole lot of excuses, Aesop countered, a slight smile on his lips but otherwise wearing a mask of faux gravity. Here I am, just trying to enjoy the dirty fruits of my labor, then you come slinking out of nowhere. He tossed his head as though throwing aside the idea that he could ever be anything less than attentive to his surroundings.

Dash brought up the circumstances of his acceptance, and Aesop let out a breathy, anxious chuckle. You and me both, my guy. But I'm here, now. Me and my embarrassing Baby Charon stories. And oh, did he have a few.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Dash wasn't perturbed by the "whatever" he got in response to his defensive, as he realized it wasn't a serious conversation. Even if it had been, Dash wasn't generally the kind that let things get under his skin, unless they involved the safety of the pack.

The banter continued, with Aesop deeming Dash's defense as excuses. I don't slink, he countered. Besides, you'd think you'd know how to watch your own back. I could have attacked you, and you'd be dead before you caught up to what was happening. His voice was light, joking, but deep down, Dash knew the truth in his statement. But, he wasn't here to criticize.

Dash wasn't generally one to gossip, especially, but not limited to, his leaders. But, he didn't want to simply ignore the comment made. Maybe he let you in because he though it might keep the stories at bay, he joked. He wasn't particularly interested in Charon as a pup, anyways, since it would have little bearing on the Charon he followed today. 
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Dash caught on quickly, and so the banter began. Aesop tossed his head in mock offense, though he knew that there was a morsel of truth to the jest. He hadn't been paying attention, no, but this was inside packlands. He was (supposed to be) safe here, and wasn't about to suspect his packmates of ulterior motives. That's what I wanted you to think. You fell into my trap. I fight best when my back is turned, he teased. Then he furrowed his brow. Wait, did I say fight? I meant run. I run away best when my back is turned. Aesop laughed at his own joke, because he was really funny. 

Aesop deflated a little at Dash's apparent disinterest in the juicy gossip he had lined up. Whatever, his loss, he wouldn't get to hear about Charon pissing himself. At a loss for how to answer, Aesop merely repeated himself. 'm here now.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Dash looked thoughtful as Aesop claimed that it was all a trap, and that he fought better with his back turned. Dash was legitimately trying to figure out if that was true or not. And, then, Aesop clarified that he meant he ran better with his back turned. Dash could not help the full-belly laugh that came from him, some at Aesop, and some at himself for believing the first part. 

Aesop seemed a little disappointed, maybe that Dash hadn't taken him up on the subtle offer of gossip. Dash simply wasn't that kind of wolf. Maybe if Charon was part of this conversation, it would have been different. At least then he wouldn't be doing it behind his back. But, it was just him and Aesop. What about stories about you? Dash asked with a grin.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
When Dash began to laugh, Aesop joined in, cackling and grinning. He did a friendly shoulder bump with Dash and then circled back around him to sit near his hole. This conversation was a bit better than that hole, even if it was a really, really good hole. Dash suggested that, rather than gossip about Charon behind his back, Aesop share stupid stories about himself. His pride wouldn't allow that, so he deflected with an awkward laugh. Nah, you don't want to hear stories about this old guy, he told Dash.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
While Dash wasn't generally the touchy-feely type, he allowed the contact with Aesop, almost even liked it. The male seemed pretty easy going, and Dash could see the possibility of a friendship forming. He supposed that didn't shock him, seeing as how Aesop and Charon were buddies, and Dash liked Charon. At least he knew that Charon trusted him, and that automatically got points with Dash.

Aesop seemed to decline Dash's suggestion that they talk about him instead of Charon, and Dash shrugged it off. Up to you, he said casually. The dark male wasn't going to push the issue. They don't have to be negative, he commented. Dash was willing to get to know his new pack mate, but he could understand the hesitancy to speak about oneself.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Aesop considered himself a pretty easy-going guy. The kind of wolf that was easy to make acquaintances with, if not friends. He could be abrasive, what with his swearing habit and his occassional moodiness. At the very least, he was easy to talk to. And talking was his forte.

Aw, fine, he said, as though talking about himself was really that difficult. He wracked his mind for a good story, then settled on an innocuous, but still hopefully entertaining one. Well, I'm a fuckin' hoot with the kids, for some reason. And I'm a big guy. So young Aesop, on babysitting duty, decided to see how many pups he could carry. They were youngsters, three moons old at the most. I laid right down, had them all climb on top of me, then stood on up. I think I had like, five or six of them up there. I managed to drop 'em all in a stream, though, and their mamas weren't too pleased. They'd been overrun by sniffling, sneezing pups for a week or so.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
It wasn't often that Dash thought about who he was or how he would define himself. He took situations as they came, varying his response as to how he felt. With some, he was laid back and personable; with others, he was awkward and standoffish. His response always depended on the wolf before him. With Aesop, it was almost instant like. The other male seemed friendly and outgoing, and didn't give off any bad vibes to Dash.

He gave a gentle smile as the other male gave in to a story about himself. Dash hadn't been looking for gossip about Aesop, simply something that might give Dash an indication of just exactly who he was. He still wondered whether not Aesop was in it for the long haul after overhearing Charon's concern about him leaving last time. Dash didn't know the story behind it, knew it wasn't any of his business, either. But, he wasn't as concerned about the past as he was the future. 

He watched with slight amusement as the other male told his story about carrying pups. His eyes widened when he got to the part where he accidently dropped them all in a stream. The images in Dash's mind quickly took it from there, and he saw several puppies being washed away. I hope they were all okay, he said sincerely. He couldn't imagine Aesop doing that to Charon and Ame's pups and getting away with it. That's a lot of pups to carry, he said. He wasn't really sure how big pups were at three months old, but carrying five or six of them at any age he thought would be difficult.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
If he was to have any sort of longevity here (which he certainly wanted), he wanted it to be enjoyable. Endearing himself to others and, in time, making friends was the first step in achieving maximum comfort. So yeah, he was making a conscious effort to impress Dash, but also an effort towards an honest representation of himself. There were other steps in achieving his goal of a lovely retirement, but they do not apply.

He chuckled at Dash's reaction to the story. Shrugging, he sought to settle the Gamma's fears. They were fine. Pups are a whole lot bouncier than you'd think they are. The stream was shallow, anyway. Just had to doggy paddle until I could scoop them up. They had a blast. He smiled at the memory, briefly wondering where those kids were now until he realized he was being a sentimental old guy. Gross.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
The scene in Dash's head continued on as Aesop described what happened. He pictured six helpless pups submitting to the flow of the stream, and Aesop struggling to grab them all before they drowned. The other male mentioned they all had fun, so maybe it wasn't as bad as what Dash was making up in his head. 

Well, I'm glad they all had fun, he commented. Are pups generally easy to get along with? I've never been around any, he asked. He was still a little unsure of how the pups would take him, but he wanted to be like a fun Uncle that was also their protector. He knew Charon and Ame would protect them firstly, but he also knew raising pups was a pack activity, not just the responsibility of the parents. 
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Having been raised by both his pack and his parents, Aesop was a firm believer in the "it takes a village." Philosophy. He was an only child in a barren spring, and so he had been tutored in every skill and trade the pack knew. He felt it was his duty to do the same for each child he found. Charon's children would be no different. Aesop had a love of children and a demeanor that allowed him to get along easily with them, but this was not true for everyone. It depends, he said vaguely, shrugging. It takes some getting used to. No one's a natural when it comes to kidlets. Just treat 'em like the little wolves they are and you'll probably do fine, though. Aesop smiled kindly, then it took a wry turn. You're not scared of 'em, are ya?
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Aesop admitted that no one was a natural when it came to pups, and Dash was relieved to hear that. The dark Gamma would keep in mind to treat them "like the little wolves they are." He wondered how difficult that would be, though. Weren't they prone to getting into trouble? 

He bristled when Aesop asked if he was scared. No, he replied, maybe a little too pointedly. Then, he confessed. Okay, maybe a little. Dash wasn't a very prideful wolf, and didn't really have a problem voicing his fears when it came to the pups. They were so tiny, but Charon and Amekaze being their parents, Dash knew he would have hell to pay if he ever screwed up. They're just so tiny and I feel like they're just gonna... break.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
Dash's tentative interest was endearing, almost downright adorable. It clashed with Aesop's hulking figure and scarred face, but he was a gentle wolf at heart and he enjoyed the presence of children (for the most part.) If unlikely Aesop could serve as a puppysitter, surely Dash could as well.

It was difficult not to laugh at Dash's uncertainty, and indeed Aesop cracked a grin. They only look fragile. I mean, don't go tossin' 'em around, but they're not so easy to break as all that. Common sense reigned true with children, at least in the physical sense. In conversing with a child, anything was game. Here's a hint. If one of 'em falls or gets a little bump, don't go running and cooing at them. Nine times out of ten they take your lead and start crying. If you just let them sit there and figure it out themselves, they're usually fine.
380 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Dash's ears perked as Aesop gave him a little guidance when dealing with the pups. He made a mental note not to "toss them around," and not be so worried if they fall and get a bump. He nodded. He supposed he could do that. He got bumps and bruises all the time just playing around, so it made sense that the pups would, too, especially since they would be learning how to get up and about on their paws. 

Thanks, Aesop, I appreciate that. I owe you one, he said genuinely. He was glad the other male was able to help him out a bit, and Dash would certainly make it a point to do the same for him, if Aesop ever needed him. For now, though, he was going to continue on with his duties. I'm going to head out on some patrols, he explained. I'll let you get your beauty rest, he said in jest, grinning as he stood.
250 Posts
Ooc — Kae
True to the pack spirit, Aesop was pretty much always willing to help out a packmate, solicited or not. So he shrugged at the thanks. Glad to have you in my debt, he said with a particularly saucy wink. Dash was clearly excusing himself, though with a few little jabs in Aesop's direction. He was a big boy and could handle it, so all he did was reply with a half-hearted, go get 'em and shimmied back into his hole. Though his mind raced, he was asleep within the hour.